HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXX

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 500
Clowe is a terrible skater? Not sure if serious. He has an akward stride, but his speed is more than good, hell if you want to whine about someone not being a good enough skater to be on this team look no further than PAP, Clowe looks like Bobby Orr compared to Parenteau. Guy had a down year last season and you want to crucify him because of it? That average scorer would be a better scorer than anyone on the team not named Landeskog or Duchene (yes that's including Stastny, Jones and an over the hill Hejduk). What he lacks in skill he makes up with his effort and heart.

Plus there's absolutely no one on the team who can be compared to him when it comes to fighting. Landeskog is a young kid and he shouldn't throw down the gloves at all, McGinn in meh as a fighter, Downie sure is entertaining to watch, but he gets ragdolled most of the time because of his size, McLeod doesn't scare anyone, O'Brien is a clown who likes to hide behind the refs and act tough, that's pretty much it. Clowe is one of the most feared fighters in the game, a poor mans Lucic, plus he can play.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Avs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Clowe is a terrible skater? Not sure if serious. He has an akward stride, but his speed is more than good, hell if you want to whine about someone not being a good enough skater to be on this team look no further than PAP, Clowe looks like Bobby Orr compared to Parenteau. Guy had a down year last season and you want to crucify him because of it? That average scorer would be a better scorer than anyone on the team not named Landeskog or Duchene (yes that's including Stastny, Jones and an over the hill Hejduk). What he lacks in skill he makes up with his effort and heart.

Plus there's absolutely no one on the team who can be compared to him when it comes to fighting. Landeskog is a young kid and he shouldn't throw down the gloves at all, McGinn in meh as a fighter, Downie sure is entertaining to watch, but he gets ragdolled most of the time because of his size, McLeod doesn't scare anyone, O'Brien is a clown who likes to hide behind the refs and act tough, that's pretty much it. Clowe is one of the most feared fighters in the game, a poor mans Lucic, plus he can play.
Nailed it. I'm still a fan of Clowe. The Avs may be gritty, but they're not really intimidating. There is no one in the Western Conference he couldn't handle in a fight. It's just a bonus he can score 20+ goals too. It will be interesting to see what he gets in the summer, because I bet he gets way overpaid. I see him in Toronto.

Anyone think Parenteau or Jones could be looking at a buyouy if they really under perform this season? 4 million a season may start looking pretty bad for a guy like Jones.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:35 AM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Nailed it. I'm still a fan of Clowe. The Avs may be gritty, but they're not really intimidating. There is no one in the Western Conference he couldn't handle in a fight. It's just a bonus he can score 20+ goals too. It will be interesting to see what he gets in the summer, because I bet he gets way overpaid. I see him in Toronto.

Anyone think Parenteau or Jones could be looking at a buyouy if they really under perform this season? 4 million a season may start looking pretty bad for a guy like Jones.
I think Jones is in more danger than PAP. PAP is going to get a lot of PP opportunities, whereas Jones might get 2nd unit time. In fairness to PAP he is a playmaker which will in turn get him a decent amount of assists which will make his stats look fine.

I wasn't sure why we were willing to go 4M on Jones, with players we now have his production is seemingly going to drop.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:40 AM
cgf

Perry would be so perfect if we could sign him.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:

Anyone think Parenteau or Jones could be looking at a buyout if they really under perform this season? 4 million a season may start looking pretty bad for a guy like Jones.
If Avs go hard after Perry or some other higher profile player and by some miracle get him to sign with them Jones/PAP and Hejda could get the axe. There's a lot of factors in play here.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Avs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
I think Jones is in more danger than PAP. PAP is going to get a lot of PP opportunities, whereas Jones might get 2nd unit time. In fairness to PAP he is a playmaker which will in turn get him a decent amount of assists which will make his stats look fine.

I wasn't sure why we were willing to go 4M on Jones, with players we now have his production is seemingly going to drop.
Yeah, I'd agree with this. The reason I was thinking about Jones is because it occurred to me that it's amazing how for an entire CBA length there was always hope of the Avs signing the best players in free agency (don't mention Smyth and Hannan) and it just never happened. It always seemed like next year will be a better position to spend. Well now the their is finally a structure in place for the Avs to be competitive on their own terms when it comes to UFA's. Which made me think that Jones+left over cap space could net a pretty nice player in free agency.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Avs71

Quote:
If Avs go hard after Perry or some other higher profile player and by some miracle get him to sign with them Jones/PAP and Hejda could get the axe. There's a lot of factors in play here.
The Avs have 15 million of cap space for next season. Add to that 7.25 million from Jones and Hejda, and there would be enough cap space to go to a good defenceman and a good winger, as well as O'Reilly. Sherman set the Avs up nicely for this coming summer.

edit: sorry for the two posts in a row. Meant to edit it into my previous post.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:49 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Edler first, then we can talk about effin all-star forwards.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Didn't he say he wants to sign with a team that has a strong group of Swedes on its roster?

I wouldn't mind Streit or Scuderi on a short term deal. Smid is another option if he doesn't re-sign with the Oilers.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Freaky Styley

Quote:
The Avs have 15 million of cap space for next season. Add to that 7.25 million from Jones and Hejda, and there would be enough cap space to go to a good defenceman and a good winger, as well as O'Reilly. Sherman set the Avs up nicely for this coming summer.

edit: sorry for the two posts in a row. Meant to edit it into my previous post.
This would be ideal, let's hope we have the balls/ability to do it

Edler/Perry would be a nice consolation (and much safer CBA - contract wise) to Suter/Parise

Old
01-06-2013, 11:53 AM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Eh, I'd be happy either way. A top pairing LHD is our most obvious need, but we could use a star winger to, and if we sign one we could focus on using our prospects and depth to slowly upgrade the D.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:59 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Didn't he say he wants to sign with a team that has a strong group of Swedes on its roster?
That is the first I heard of it, but I was watching TSN and Vancouver already has 50 million spent with only 13 players signed for next season's 60 million cap. The panel was then talking about that he's in a hard situation because Vancouver could probably pay him upwards to 4-5 million dollars like the rest of their defensive core, but he can definitely get 5-6.5+ on the open market, but would he want to leave a contender?

Letting go with Kobasew and trading O'Byrne would give us so much more freedom to overpay (free agency will not change when it comes to overpayment) and keep majority of our core as well.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

I think he'll end up with Detroit.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
I think he'll end up with Detroit.
I don't think so. A lot of their fan thought it was a no-brainer that Suter and/or Parise was going to sign with them because they had 'so much cap space' and all that.

The days of the best available UFA signing with them has come to an end, in my opinion. Losing perhaps, the best D-man of all time to retirement will prove that they are a very beatable team, starting in a few weeks.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

I'm basing my opinion on his statement that he wants to play with fellow Swedes (maybe I'm wrong and he didn't say that). I didn't think Suter and/or Parise will end up in Detroit for one second FTR.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
I'm basing my opinion on his statement that he wants to play with fellow Swedes (maybe I'm wrong and he didn't say that). I didn't think Suter and/or Parise will end up in Detroit for one second FTR.
Yeah me neither.

I think Edler will go where it's the best fit for him...hockey wise. I don't think he likes to be the main guy on D, which is what he'd be in Detroit, although still play top pairing minutes. I expect him to sign with a good team, once that will be good for a long while and that already has a solid #1 guy in place already. I believe that would be the ideal situation for him. A team like Nashville comes to mind.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:08 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I can see Edler signing with Detroit with Lidstrom being the main catalyst, a lot like Sakic with PAP, Symth, and Hannan.

Also looking at the list of free agents, I wouldn't mind signing Jochen Hecht if we need another bottom 6 forward with veteran experience.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Drury_Sakic

What do people think about Michael Del Zotto? There has been some rumblings even before the cap fell that the Rangers may move him due to cap reasons and the build of the rest of their roster.... Might be worth swapping one of Barrie/Elliott + one of the Avs depth D men Zannon, O'Bryne, O'Brien, Hejda + ? for him...

Not sure I am sold on him long term, but at worst I think he is a Liles level talent. At the very least he would improve the PP and give the Avs a puck mover to work with the shutdown D men on the line.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Avs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
What do people think about Michael Del Zotto? There has been some rumblings even before the cap fell that the Rangers may move him due to cap reasons and the build of the rest of their roster.... Might be worth swapping one of Barrie/Elliott + one of the Avs depth D men Zannon, O'Bryne, O'Brien, Hejda + ? for him...

Not sure I am sold on him long term, but at worst I think he is a Liles level talent. At the very least he would improve the PP and give the Avs a puck mover to work with the shutdown D men on the line.
Interestingly enough, I believe New York's biggest need is a 2nd line center? Depending on how Stepan performs. I don't think Del Zotto would come that cheap. He just finished 12th in Norris voting. If he was coming to the Avs, my bet would be a certain RFA center would be going the other way.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:09 PM
chewey
dmitri

*ahem*

Obligatory: 'WE COULD'VE HAD DEL ZOTTO!! DAMN YOU FG FOR TRADING FOR FOOTE. DAMN YOU TO HELL "

Old
01-06-2013, 06:12 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
*ahem*

Obligatory: 'WE COULD'VE HAD DEL ZOTTO!! DAMN YOU FG FOR TRADING FOR FOOTE. DAMN YOU TO HELL "

That trade still confuses me, Foote made it clear that he wanted out and the only place he was willing to go was Colorado. Not sure how they managed to squeeze a 1st out of that deal.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
Interestingly enough, I believe New York's biggest need is a 2nd line center? Depending on how Stepan performs. I don't think Del Zotto would come that cheap. He just finished 12th in Norris voting. If he was coming to the Avs, my bet would be a certain RFA center would be going the other way.
I think Chris Kreider will get a good long chance to take the 2nd line job for the Rangers, but yeah, a 2nd line center is probably on their wish list. That said, the Rangers are at 52 million for next (2013-2014) season with only 16 players signed, with McDonagh being a big re-sign and a few other smaller parts in Stepan, Hagelin, Halpern, and Sauer, and Eminger to re-sign. If you add a big salary guy going back to NY, say O'Reilly at anywhere from 3.5-4.5, that makes it hard to fill out depth next season, presuming McDonagh has strong follow up season and is in that 4-5 range. They are also at about 59 million without DZ on the roster, thus adding O'Reilly puts them over the cap.

Given all that, I would bet the Rangers would much rather get cheaper young talent and/or picks than actual equal roster value at this point....plus they can sit a tad under the cap this season and use those parts to add a bigger fish at the trade deadline...say rent Ryan Getzlaf for the playoffs...as an example.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
That trade still confuses me, Foote made it clear that he wanted out and the only place he was willing to go was Colorado. Not sure how they managed to squeeze a 1st out of that deal.
Avs slipped back into the "win now" mode, or at the very least full on in the put the band back together mode with Forsberg and Foote coming back for one last glory day push....and it worked for a short run against the Wild.

As much as the Avs overpaid in pure on ice value, I think the 1st was worth having Foote on the roster to serve as leader over those last years.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

A cup contender isn't going to trade one of their better defensemen for picks/prospects. I think MDZ will get the Rangers a very good return. IMO, much better than Elliott/Barrie+

Old
01-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
A cup contender isn't going to trade one of their better defensemen for picks/prospects. I think MDZ will get the Rangers a very good return. IMO, much better than Elliott/Barrie+
Maybe, and I am not saying the Avs would not have to give up a 1st or something else big prospect wise.....but I do not see them getting a roster player out of it due to cap space reasons, for both this year and the next. It is almost impossible without another big salary being moved by the Rangers.

Closed Thread