HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL (Kontinental Hockey League) 2012-2013 season part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Tatanik

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Tatanik
Bližňák

Incredible snipe on the penalty shot in sudden death.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:32 PM
TheReaper

Bliznasty

Old
01-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanik View Post
Bližňák

Incredible snipe on the penalty shot in sudden death.
Yeah, that was a snipe for sure...key was both times he came in with speed. Don't know why more players do not do this, puts the goalie off balance, creates so much more openings...

But great game from Malkin and Mozyakin, those guys are awesome.

Very happy taking two pts off Magnitogorsk though, was not expecting that.

6w, 1ot in last 12 now! Go Slovan! Be cool to see Slovan, Lev (Praha), and Donbass all make it as first year clubs...

Be interesting to see how much the lockout ending will effect teams, particularly teams like Slovan, Lev, Magnitogorsk, CSKA, SKA, etc that have NHLers in key spots

Old
01-06-2013, 01:46 PM
od71

Solid game, congrats, Bratislava

Old
01-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams

Janus is crazy. Also, that game in Bratislava was a great showing for KHL. (thanks to the NHLers though). Fans were unbelievable. Excellent hockey match overall, Slovan is really fighting hard and deserves PO appearance.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:05 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
So I wonder which NHLers will stay, and which will go?

Old
01-06-2013, 05:11 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
they will all go, may be the ones that didn't have a contract in the NHL will linger a bit longer

Old
01-06-2013, 05:23 PM
EM71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
No. You said something stupid and I slammed you for it. You used a 1 game sample to prove I was wrong about my prediction of a 10 game period.
Are you that childish? I didn't use a one game sample to 'prove' you wrong, that was a little progress report. One you overreacted to, which was quite entertaining I might add.

Although, on Dec 31 you said; "I can say this streak is pretty much over" And since then the M&M show have accounted for every single goal for Magnitogorsk has scored in the last 2 games and increased their ppg to the unheard of(KHL) levels of 1.76 & 1.74.
That doesn't sound like the kind of production you'd expect from two players about to go into a major slump does it?

So tell me again why it was you thought they would go into that slump again? Oh wait...

Quote:
Anyways I can say this streak is pretty much over. 9 of their 10 games in January are against playoff teams, including Traktor x2, Dynamo, CSKA, Ak Bars, and Ska.
Yes that's right... great players simply lose the ability to score when playing playoff bound teams.

Now how about some actually facts. Because past behavior is the best predictor of future behavoir. Against teams that would be in the playoffs if the season ended today, Mozyakin has 33 points in 20 games(1.65ppg) & Malkin 27 points in 19 games(1.42ppg).
Both are well above the 1.2-1.3 ppg number you were throwing around.
And I'm still not sure if you were suggesting they were going to average that or if their seasonal averages were actually going to drop to that level, which would be absurd.

Quote:
Apparently you forgot when both of Malkin and Mozyakin were 1.6 PPG then went back down to 1.2.

But in any case I'm not going to say 2 games is definitive prove that you were wrong, obviously its not enough. And unfortunately we'll never know for sure who's prediction is correct since Malkin(2nd in scoring), Kulemin(7th in scoring) & Gonchar(3rd in scoring for defensemen) are going to head back to the NHL now.

The irony is that because of those player 'defections' your "even the 80 point record may not even be in reach" prediction may be correct, though not for the reason you gave.

In any case I'm quite satisfied Malkin has set the record for the highest ppg in a KHL season at 1.76 with 65 points in 37 games. Mozyakin would need to score 20 points in his final 11 games to surpass that which is highly unlikely now. Some might say that record might not count because of an insufficient number of games. I say, how can scoring record not count when he scored more points than the scoring leader of the previous KHL season?

Old
01-06-2013, 05:31 PM
cska78

now, that Severstal has Vandell and Videll my head is spinning.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:34 PM
ebis

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Višňovský might stay in Slovan.

http://www.hcslovan.sk/en/spravy/vis...-slovan-offer/

In the video he says that he would like to stay but he doesn't want to do anything behind the Islanders' back so he will call his agent and ask about all his possibilities.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:06 PM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebis View Post
Višňovský might stay in Slovan.

http://www.hcslovan.sk/en/spravy/vis...-slovan-offer/

In the video he says that he would like to stay but he doesn't want to do anything behind the Islanders' back so he will call his agent and ask about all his possibilities.
he's probably using Slovan as leverage for Isles to trade him

Old
01-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
he's probably using Slovan as leverage for Isles to trade him
I don't think so. Visnovsky has gotten a pretty raw deal in NA since the Kings screwed him over trading him days before his NTC kicked in and a couple of years before they became contenders, with his injury history and age I really believe he just wants to play out his last years in the more lax schedule and more suited to his style KHL, particularly with his hometown team. If he goes back it'll be with the Islanders, but he wants to stay in KHL if possible...IMO.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
6w, 1ot in last 12 now! Go Slovan!
I'm more impressed by 8 games at home in a row now being undefeated in regulation time. That is promising for the play-offs. Slovan has now beaten the top 2 Western teams (SKA, Lokomotiv) and the top 3 Eastern teams (Ak Bars, Avangard, Magnitka) at home, and the home losses against Dynamo Moscow and CSKA were very close. Home game against Traktor coming up now on Tuesday, but it looks like Slovan does not necessarily need to fear any of the top 4 seeds when playing at home! And you can always snatch an away victory...

Is it true there will be no shootouts in the KHL play-offs? I heard some folks mention that in online discussions. I'd love that. Shootouts don't belong in play-offs, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Visnovsky has gotten a pretty raw deal in NA since the Kings screwed him over trading him days before his NTC kicked in and a couple of years before they became contenders
I think it was hours, not days... he got traded on the last possible day, I think. For the Kings it turned out to be a good move, eventually, as they got several players from the Oilers who helped them win the Stanley Cup, most notably Jarret Stoll. Must have been very tough on Lubo, though. He just gave an interview to a Slovak weekly magazine where he says he was so unhappy in Edmonton he considered ending his hockey career there. Worst team in the NHL back then, bad relations with the coach, even Lubo's private life falling apart.

What I don't understand is why Višňovský and Sekera were saying good-bye in today's game instead of on Tuesday in the game against Traktor. I liked what Datsyuk said today, essentially: "The new CBA isn't on paper yet, so I expect to play at least a couple of additional games for CSKA."

I'm afraid Slovan will sorely lack Višňovský and Sekera on Tuesday against Traktor. With those two gone and Štajnoch still injured, that's Slovan's top 3 defencemen missing in action. The Slovan management made the mistake of getting rid of the reliable Swedish defenceman Boumedienne around Christmas, and this may now cost them dearly. Are they going to tackle Traktor with junior defencemen or what?

Old
01-06-2013, 07:37 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Is there any data available that shows the effect the NHL players have had in their short time playing in the KHL? I know it has gained a wider audience/exposure with games being showed in NA and UK

What about increased profits/more sponsors/increase of attendances?

Old
01-07-2013, 01:25 AM
Faterson

Whatever you do, don't trust the media... It's often more a tool for disinformation than information:

http://www.championat.com/hockey/new...ajlenders.html

The headline says, "Višňovský Offered Better Conditions by Slovan than by the Islanders", although what Višňovský really said (I watched the entire locker-room interview as posted here) is that Slovan offered him a bonus to stay in the KHL. He never compared that with the Islanders (I'm sure Slovan can't compete with the Islanders money-wise), and he said money wasn't the all-decisive factor.

Then you have all those false reports from yesterday, on allhockey.ru and elsewhere, that Malkin and Gonchar wouldn't play, that they had already boarded a plane to Moscow, etc. Apparently, it was a game-time decision. There are now rumours floating that the security service saw Malkin depart from the hotel for the Bratislava airport, but that he later returned just in time to be able to play. One Slovak newspaper called Malkin "friendly and always willing to sign autographs for the kids", while a different Slovak newspaper called him "surly and uncommunicative".

Ah, the media. Don't ever trust what they say, without thoroughly double-checking.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:48 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Whatever you do, don't trust the media... It's often more a tool for disinformation than information:

http://www.championat.com/hockey/new...ajlenders.html

The headline says, "Višňovský Offered Better Conditions by Slovan than by the Islanders", although what Višňovský really said (I watched the entire locker-room interview as posted here) is that Slovan offered him a bonus to stay in the KHL. He never compared that with the Islanders (I'm sure Slovan can't compete with the Islanders money-wise), and he said money wasn't the all-decisive factor.

Then you have all those false reports from yesterday, on allhockey.ru and elsewhere, that Malkin and Gonchar wouldn't play, that they had already boarded a plane to Moscow, etc. Apparently, it was a game-time decision. There are now rumours floating that the security service saw Malkin depart from the hotel for the Bratislava airport, but that he later returned just in time to be able to play. One Slovak newspaper called Malkin "friendly and always willing to sign autographs for the kids", while a different Slovak newspaper called him "surly and uncommunicative".

Ah, the media. Don't ever trust what they say, without thoroughly double-checking.
Did you see Malkin's tweet about sports.ru who made the rumour?

Quote:
Евгений Малкин ‏@malkin71_
sports.ru esli vy ne umeete perevodit ,ne nesite hui... pokagite mne gde ya skazal pro samolet ,a potom pi****e eto v inete
Basically translates to "sports.ru if you do not know how to translate, don't write ****.... show me where I have said something about a plane, then you can write it on the internet"

Sports.ru asked him for an interview after the game and he apparently went ballistic at them

Good win for Slovan, will be great to see them in the play offs, I want to see Donbass and Lev make it too. These are basically new teams in the KHL and for all them to make the play offs will in my opinion do great in building/mainting interest for the future.

Also really happy to see Dadonov slowly rediscovering himself in the KHL, I remember he had a fairly good start to his NHL career and then it all went pear shaped.

Hopefully we see Loktionov, Goncharov return to the KHL. @ CSKA78 what happened to CSKA bringing a Russian from the NHL (We discussed this last month).

Old
01-07-2013, 06:55 AM
KenGuru

What will happen with Metallurg Mg ?

They will loose Malkin, Kulemin and Gonchar I believe

But Ryan O`Reilly will stay since he is not on loan. A NHL club has to outbid his contract (UFA) ? I dont think any NHL club will afford that since he got a nice contract with Metallurg

Metallurgs new 1 st line Mozyakin - O`Reilly - Zuccarello ? Could be great

Old
01-07-2013, 07:48 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
Did you see Malkin's tweet about sports.ru who made the rumour?
Haha, good battle of words there. I wish Malkin would tweet using Russian letters, though, this is difficult to read.

Sports.ru deserve to be blasted. Who the hell is Rob Rossi? It's part of journalistic responsibility not just to quote random people's opinions and statements and make headlines out of them, without double-checking everything.

Quote:
Good win for Slovan, will be great to see them in the play offs
Except that without Višňovský and Sekera, it will no longer be the same team that got into the play-offs... (If they get there.) The NHL lockout (and its end) will certainly distort this KHL season in a big way.

Quote:
I want to see Donbass and Lev make it too.
Me too, and I'd add Minsk to the mix, although it will be hard or impossible to dislodge Severstal. It would be nice to see 4 Russian teams battling it out with 4 non-Russian teams in the Western play-offs. From among the top 4 seeds, Lokomotiv seems perhaps most vulnerable. Although now with the lockout over, the strength of the 4 teams may shift again.

Quote:
Hopefully we see Loktionov, Goncharov return to the KHL.
Kopitar just got injured, one day before lockout end, and could be out for 2-3 weeks, so the Kings might need Loktionov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenGuru View Post
Metallurgs new 1 st line Mozyakin - O`Reilly - Zuccarello ? Could be great
Mozyakin is an absolute killer sniper. Last night, it seemed like you blink, and you miss Mozyakin score a goal. The question is, with Malkin gone, if the others will be able to provide him with all those ideal passes the way Malkin did. Probably not!

Must have felt great last night for Janus to get the shootout victory by deflecting both Malkin's and Mozyakin's (1 out of 2) shootout attempts. Magnitka losing 10 out of 10 overtimes/shootouts this season is ridiculous. Janus is now 7-5 in shootouts, and characteristically, Slovan has 0 overtime wins or losses this season, in tune with Slovan's "safety first" strategy.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:18 AM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Mozyakin is an absolute killer sniper. Last night, it seemed like you blink, and you miss Mozyakin score a goal. The question is, with Malkin gone, if the others will be able to provide him with all those ideal passes the way Malkin did. Probably not!
Yes, exactly. He often scores this way. His shots are unexpected: moment ago you saw him just skating with the puck, and next moment the puck is already in the net.

Last edited by od71: 01-07-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old
01-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Faterson

The amazing thing about both of his goals last night was that his position was completely predictable: to the left of the goal-post, just where you'd expect Mozyakin to wait for the ideal pass. But when the pass did come, followed by lightning-flash Mozyakin one-timer, it all seemed very surprising. I don't blame Janus for failing to react, because even to us in the stands it seemed surprising to see Mozyakin pop up suddenly where he was. I think much of the credit for Mozyakin's success lately must be given to the other players on his line -- first of all Malkin, of course -- because they managed to draw the opposing players' (and even the audience's) attention to themselves, thus setting up Mozyakin. It was all very predictable... but it worked! Again and again.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:38 AM
od71

Those goals are not Janus fault. May be first Malkin's goal he didn't save. But overall he played great.
It's Mozyakin's favourite point. Lately he scored from that point almost identical goals on last Eurotour in Moscow. One goal from almost zero angle.
Of course, his production will decrease. It is expected, impossible to score 2,3, 4 points almost in every game even with Malkin as he did it last month. But in fact, Mozyakin proved to be one of the most consistent scorers in the KHL in the last years playing with different partners.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Faterson

A Slovak tabloid now reports Višňovský has spurned the NHL and the Islanders, and wants to finish the KHL season in Slovan, saying:

Quote:
In an incredible way, I have merged with the team and the fans. It's for the first time in my career that I have felt such strong emotions. Overseas, many players earn dozens of millions of dollars, but you can't buy moments like this for any money. You need to experience that. I'm incredibly happy to have been fortunate enough to experience it.
http://www.pluska.sk/sport/hokej/vie...a-slovane.html

But that's a tabloid newspaper, and we've just discussed how much you can trust media, especially of that type. It's all unconfirmed right now.

For controversial debate on the issue, including a few what I would call numbingly silly posts by Islanders fans, go to http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...235083&page=24

Old
01-07-2013, 12:51 PM
SoundAndFury

Poor Islanders. They are getting screwed once again, I really do feel bad for them.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:32 PM
kajoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
Poor Islanders. They are getting screwed once again, I really do feel bad for them.
too early. Visnovsky still has valid NHL contract and needs Isles consent to play in KHL. I think he even said it in one interview. He will imo return to Islanders, play 48 games and only then return to Europe.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Faterson

On the same day, a "respectable" Slovak newspaper contradicts a "tabloid" Slovak newspaper. You can pick your Višňovský quote from either. The "respectable" paper claims Višňovský will honour his NHL contract, while the tabloid claims he will not.

Closed Thread