HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 04:04 PM
BBKers

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
Any whale watchers know what has happened to Kyle Jean? He's really disappeared after that hot start.
Potted 2 tonight so far with Whale up 2-0 after 2 periods.
9-10-19 in 36 GP
Not bad for a rookie imo
You just "anti-jinxed" him

Keep it up!

Old
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Why are the Whale commentators so horrible? They aren't even timing things properly. You can hear them do count-downs to the start of broadcasting after commercials even though the teams are already playing.

They aren't even on par with your average college radio host.

Old
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
sounds like another Dale Purinton. i hope thats not what your hoping he turns into. he needs to be good defensively and be able to keep up with the play. no need for Purinton or Jamie Pushor 2
Agreed. I think all NHL team would want more than a Dale Purinton type player at 10th overall in the draft. However, Gordie Clark is great at his job picking gems.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Especially as a defenseman. It's one thing having a fourth line wing sitting for five minutes practically every game, but I definitely would not want a top six defenseman doing the same.

Hopefully he tones down the frequency of the fighting (particularly staged fights) and limits it to reactionary fights during the flow of play.
I agree 100%.

I want McI to become a Milan Lucic on defense. Not Rupp on defense. The heavy weights are still monsters at fighting, and you don't want a hockey player to take them on night after night after night. We should still carry a "Rupp" with McI on the team.

But when a Komisarek on the other team gets cocky, its tremendously valuble to have a hockey player on your team who can take him on. That's how it goes. No top 4 D or top 9 forward will drop it and fight a heavy weight on the other team unless its 100% on that players terms. Its protocol for a player to turn away from a goon. Rupp can't like challenge Phaneuf or Hartnell. But when a player like Lucic, playing top 2 line hockey, skates up to a cocky player on the other team that player can't tell him that they are a missmatch.

And McI can become that type of player. He is a good hitter and that is an attribute defensively. He is a fairly good skater, and that is an attribute defensively. Have anyone see him protect his own net? I don't know if I've seen a D in a long time that at least makes it look like it hurts to go to the net as much as McI makes that apperance. Its seems like he is ready to kill people who goes to the net and his cross checks are real vicious. That is an attribute defensively. Games are won infront of nets and McI is very good at getting people away from the crease. Offensively, its very much in the bud, but he is an fairly athletic kid who hopefully atleast can work a little on his slapper. That could give him some confidence and maybe be something that can work as a platform for the development of more of an offensive game at the NHL level. He was decent offensively in Juniors.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

McIlrath is having a good defensive third period. I'm watching him more than anyone else. Covered for Gilroy a few times. That's right, Gilroy is worse defensively than a kid with only a couple minor league games experience. Dude, Matty-boy, please, go read a book about defense. You'll make millions more this way.

EDIT: Another bad defensive play on the offensive blue line by Gilroy with 2.5 minutes to go with McIlrath doing a great job defensively, using his size and showing that he can skate and pick his position well. It looked like something Staal would normally do.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Great game by Missie. Really good. The last save was with 4 seconds to go after a giveaway by a defenseman behind his net. He looks really happy to have gotten this win and show that he can play AHL hockey and Talbot need not start 14 games in a row again.

The 3 stars are:

1. Miss
2. Jean
3. Newbury

Old
01-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Agreed. I think all NHL team would want more than a Dale Purinton type player at 10th overall in the draft. However, Gordie Clark is great at his job picking gems.

Anyone who thinks McIlrath=Purinton has no idea what he's talking about. McIlrath is closer to Staal (much, much closer to Staal) than he is to Purinton. He's a better player than Jeff Beukeboom (who's being interviewed about the Whale right now) was at this age. I am not saying he'll necessarily develop to be better than Beukebom, but he has the potential to do so. In fact, he has the potential to be a more physical version of Staal if he truly works on his game.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:35 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Avid WHL followers said that McIlrath was one of the best defensemen in the WHL last year. The guy is not chopped liver, he can play and he still has plenty of room to grow.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Avid WHL followers said that McIlrath was one of the best defensemen in the WHL last year. The guy is not chopped liver, he can play and he still has plenty of room to grow.
People on here with never like the undertaker because Of the spot we drafted him.. I was all over wanting him and blasted for being happy we got him . The fact he fights will cause all of the p.c. People on here to hate him

Old
01-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
People on here with never like the undertaker because Of the spot we drafted him.. I was all over wanting him and blasted for being happy we got him . The fact he fights will cause all of the p.c. People on here to hate him
People will love him if he's good

If he's a 3rd pairing goon/7th defenseman, then people are gonna be upset at the pick

Has nothing to do with his fighting

Old
01-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

If he's a 3rd pairing goon/7th defenseman, then people are gonna be upset at the pick

Worrying man calling b.s.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:24 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Nice to see you back here DaGoon. I hope you are good

Old
01-06-2013, 05:26 PM
LeetchisGod
HL30 + McD27 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Potted 2 tonight so far with Whale up 2-0 after 2 periods.
9-10-19 in 36 GP
Not bad for a rookie imo
You just "anti-jinxed" him

Keep it up!
Kyle Jean was a waste of a contract. He'll never contribute to the big club.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

This. He needs to be at least a legit top four defenseman. I wanted Tarasenko at the time and will be pissed if he becomes a star scorer, but I will be especially angry if McIlrath doesn't become a very effective hockey player. Obviously, if McIlrath miraculously becomes a top-pairing defenseman then all will be forgiven.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
McIlrath is having a good defensive third period. I'm watching him more than anyone else. Covered for Gilroy a few times. That's right, Gilroy is worse defensively than a kid with only a couple minor league games experience. Dude, Matty-boy, please, go read a book about defense. You'll make millions more this way.

EDIT: Another bad defensive play on the offensive blue line by Gilroy with 2.5 minutes to go with McIlrath doing a great job defensively, using his size and showing that he can skate and pick his position well. It looked like something Staal would normally do.
so is Gilroy playing LD so if DZ is not signed yet Gilroy can play LD in camp?

Old
01-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
he isnt even signed yet.. lets see if he gets signed... whatever happen with Randy McNaught? he is still listed in the system but hasnt played this year?? seems like a wasted draft pick..
I would be shocked if they didn't sign Noreau.

McNaught's career is basically over due to injury. A shame.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
01-06-2013, 06:16 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Anyone who thinks McIlrath=Purinton has no idea what he's talking about. McIlrath is closer to Staal (much, much closer to Staal) than he is to Purinton. He's a better player than Jeff Beukeboom (who's being interviewed about the Whale right now) was at this age. I am not saying he'll necessarily develop to be better than Beukebom, but he has the potential to do so. In fact, he has the potential to be a more physical version of Staal if he truly works on his game.
McIlrath has the potential to be a very good player. Doubt seriously he'll be Staal good--maybe more like Beukeboom--his asst. coach in Hartford but Jeff was a really effective defenseman for a long time and if anything McIlrath looks to be the better fighter though Jeff was no slouch.

Pretty much agree with Ola's comments as well apart from his comments on Lucic who is a physical force to be reckoned with--with some skill and not just a goon.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:44 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

If McIlrath developed a game in the mold of a Douglas Murray / Willie Mitchell, I would be very pleased.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
McIlrath needs to hit and fight. That's whats going to get him to the NHL. He's not going to be a shut down defenseman. He's not going to put up 30+ points. what he needs to do is intimidate the eff outta players. that goes with hitting and fighting. Drop the gloves Dylan. Keep kicking ass.
I disagree wholeheartedly. McIlrath has all the tools to be a very effective 2nd pairing shutdown D. He's also solid enough at rushing the puck, as well as making outlet passes that he could end up in the 20-30 point range a few years in his career. I think he could be a bigger Barret Jackman type who might get 2nd pairing minutes, but will produce a little more offensively.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:36 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Thank you for pointing this out. I happen to agree 100%. He has hockey talent to go with heavyweight fists.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
If McIlrath developed a game in the mold of a Douglas Murray / Willie Mitchell, I would be very pleased.
Mitchell, yes. Murray, no. Mitchell has had a much better career than Murray has had (he's a better player by a decent margin).

Old
01-06-2013, 09:36 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Mitchell, yes. Murray, no. Mitchell has had a much better career than Murray has had (he's a better player by a decent margin).
Murray is a good player but not as good as Mitchell. Mitchell is a different player than McIlrath. Mitchell doesnt fight that much but does stick up for teammates and is more of a defensive dman/shot blocking with leadership qualities...Any chance McIlrath adds some offense and turns into a Kevin Bieksa type?? My bet is Matt Greene Tim Gleason type dman. At worst Bryan Allen

Old
01-06-2013, 11:02 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
If McIlrath is no more than a 3rd pair defenseman then he is a bust. I don't care how tough he is or how much he fights or sticks up for his teammates. You don't use #10 picks on 3rd pairing defensemen. Picking him at #10 I'd love for him to develop into a #2 defenseman, but quite honestly that is highly unlikely. Top 4 defenseman that we can rely on in his own end and I'll live with the pick.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:12 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
If McIlrath is no more than a 3rd pair defenseman then he is a bust. I don't care how tough he is or how much he fights or sticks up for his teammates. You don't use #10 picks on 3rd pairing defensemen. Picking him at #10 I'd love for him to develop into a #2 defenseman, but quite honestly that is highly unlikely. Top 4 defenseman that we can rely on in his own end and I'll live with the pick.
Bust might be a bit extreme...but yeah, it would be a big disappointment. At #10 we should be looking at a 2nd pair guy with upside.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:20 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Murray is a good player but not as good as Mitchell. Mitchell is a different player than McIlrath. Mitchell doesnt fight that much but does stick up for teammates and is more of a defensive dman/shot blocking with leadership qualities...Any chance McIlrath adds some offense and turns into a Kevin Bieksa type?? My bet is Matt Greene Tim Gleason type dman. At worst Bryan Allen
His upside is a Willie Mitchell with added toughness.

Closed Thread