HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Malkins KHL adventure (All KHL talk)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2013, 01:22 PM
  #751
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 67,855
vCash: 50
65 points in 37 games. Pretty impressive.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:23 PM
  #752
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 31,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hunting View Post
Geno was again a beast tonight (1+2). That was a great match overall, his team lost, but he´s playing his absolute best hockey. He´s definitely 100%. Easily could´ve scored 4 goals in that game.

He also scored 31 (!!!) points in his last 11 games in KHL, so I think he should be ready to go
so pumped

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:42 PM
  #753
Stad
@Malkin2Horny
 
Stad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,975
vCash: 500
Yup. Geno will be a force again this season, can't wait.

Stad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:47 PM
  #754
Malkin112
Registered User
 
Malkin112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,210
vCash: 500
Malkins shooting % was only 10.2 i hope it raises little bit. He was fairly unlucky, many post through the season.

Malkin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:11 PM
  #755
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
65 points in 37 games. Pretty impressive.
What a slacker.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:27 PM
  #756
DegenX
#FireMorehouse
 
DegenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,877
vCash: 500
Everybody taking to Twitter with happy messages about the lockout being over ... except for Geno ... Geno's getting into a TwitBattle with Sports.ru over a Rob Rossi tweet

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:35 PM
  #757
EM71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 250
vCash: 500
I'm quite satisfied with Malkin's KHL experience...
Since it ended with him setting the all time KHL PPG single season record at 1.76!

And to think he was just starting to get on a roll... Lets see if he or Sid can hit 100 in an abbreviated 50 game NHL season.

EM71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:14 PM
  #758
wgknestrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Yeah, that was crazy.



I guess we'll have to agree to disagree there. I really don't think Kunitz brings anything productive to the PP - he's just not good in front of the net. And I'm usually a big proponent of getting guys in goalies' grills.

Two PP units splitting up Sid and Geno would probably be best for all concerned, but we know that's never going to happen.
I'm in your boat. Kunitz down low is a waste with our current lineup. Crosby needs to work the low areas with his skills. Kunitz cannot stick handle well enough to keep possession IMO. He's more of a forecheck/ shooter guy and Crosby should be able to fill that role better on puck retrievals.

Here's a list of pts / 60min at 5v4. Please note there is no way to filter by minutes of 5v4 time and some players slip into the list based on chance and small sample size. I'm trusting you guys to filter out the Parks, and Michaleks. It is pretty easy to see who should be on the #1PP aside from the 2nd defender. God no Crosby on point.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...+5+17+18+19+20

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:22 PM
  #759
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 31,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
I'm in your boat. Kunitz down low is a waste with our current lineup. Crosby needs to work the low areas with his skills. Kunitz cannot stick handle well enough to keep possession IMO. He's more of a forecheck/ shooter guy and Crosby should be able to fill that role better on puck retrievals.

Here's a list of pts / 60min at 5v4. Please note there is no way to filter by minutes of 5v4 time and some players slip into the list based on chance and small sample size. I'm trusting you guys to filter out the Parks, and Michaleks. It is pretty easy to see who should be on the #1PP aside from the 2nd defender. God no Crosby on point.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...+5+17+18+19+20
whether the guy at the net gets good stats or not, someone needs to be there in front of the net. I don't see us putting the 8.7 million dollar a year Crosby in the way of slapshots and crosschecks every powerplay.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:45 PM
  #760
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
whether the guy at the net gets good stats or not, someone needs to be there in front of the net. I don't see us putting the 8.7 million dollar a year Crosby in the way of slapshots and crosschecks every powerplay.
I don't think that's what he's suggesting.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:46 PM
  #761
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 31,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I don't think that's what he's suggesting.
I think he's suggesting not having anybody play in that position.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:54 PM
  #762
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I think he's suggesting not having anybody play in that position.
I think you can have players float in and out of the dirty areas rather than having one dedicated, skill-deficient player take punishment in front of the net for a minute at a time while everybody else plays 4-on-4. Crosby's shown he can lurk in the weeds and then sneak in with a deft tip from the side of the cage.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:58 PM
  #763
NJDevilsZG
I'll drive team bus
 
NJDevilsZG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Country: Croatia
Posts: 1,196
vCash: 500
Just wanted to write last few lines about your kid Dustin Jeffrey. Other thread is locked, so I hope you won't mind my trespassing here ...
He was just great while here with us. Not just on the ice. Couple of my friends have kids, so they usually bring them on ice after our home games. Most of our players come back on ice couple of minutes after game, we give them cheers from stands, and whoever wants a pic of something signed or just to talk to them, can join them on ice. So they are usually swarmed by 50-60 kids for a while there. Naturally, it's optional activity for players. But Jeffrey was allways there, stayed long enough to fulfill all little wishes. My friends that take their kids there regularily said that he was just great every time they talked to him. Needless to say, kids loved him.

All in all, it was a blast to watch him skate and have him in our team.
I honestly don't care much for Pens, except for the Tzar Malkin but I'm gonna use that NHL GameCenter to check upon our little Bear for sure.

NJDevilsZG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:58 PM
  #764
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Crosby should always be around the goal, or below the goal line on the PP. That's just where he's best at. Like RRP said, he doesn't have to just stand there.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:04 PM
  #765
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 31,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I think you can have players float in and out of the dirty areas rather than having one dedicated, skill-deficient player take punishment in front of the net for a minute at a time while everybody else plays 4-on-4. Crosby's shown he can lurk in the weeds and then sneak in with a deft tip from the side of the cage.
Would be interesting to see. It would be a very different powerplay that's for sure. Not that that's a bad thing. I dunno, it'll be interesting for sure. Why the hell can't one of these guys just be right handed? My biggest problem with this is that one of Neal or Crosby will generally end up on the wrong side of the ice.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:07 PM
  #766
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Would be interesting to see. It would be a very different powerplay that's for sure. Not that that's a bad thing. I dunno, it'll be interesting for sure. Why the hell can't one of these guys just be right handed? My biggest problem with this is that one of Neal or Crosby will generally end up on the wrong side of the ice.
We need Bennett to develop quicker

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:22 PM
  #767
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevilsZG View Post
Just wanted to write last few lines about your kid Dustin Jeffrey. Other thread is locked, so I hope you won't mind my trespassing here ...
He was just great while here with us. Not just on the ice. Couple of my friends have kids, so they usually bring them on ice after our home games. Most of our players come back on ice couple of minutes after game, we give them cheers from stands, and whoever wants a pic of something signed or just to talk to them, can join them on ice. So they are usually swarmed by 50-60 kids for a while there. Naturally, it's optional activity for players. But Jeffrey was allways there, stayed long enough to fulfill all little wishes. My friends that take their kids there regularily said that he was just great every time they talked to him. Needless to say, kids loved him.

All in all, it was a blast to watch him skate and have him in our team.
I honestly don't care much for Pens, except for the Tzar Malkin but I'm gonna use that NHL GameCenter to check upon our little Bear for sure.
Always nice to hear when these guys take the time for kids and represent their org well when abroad. Cool story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Would be interesting to see. It would be a very different powerplay that's for sure. Not that that's a bad thing. I dunno, it'll be interesting for sure. Why the hell can't one of these guys just be right handed? My biggest problem with this is that one of Neal or Crosby will generally end up on the wrong side of the ice.
Yeah, I hear ya. With our best 3 forwards by far being left-handed, we're probably always going to look a little predictable or uncomfortable on the PP, barring some x-factor coming in and becoming a game-changer.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:31 PM
  #768
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Yeah, I hear ya. With our best 3 forwards by far being left-handed, we're probably always going to look a little predictable or uncomfortable on the PP, barring some x-factor coming in and becoming a game-changer.
*cough* Bennett *cough*

...but yeah probably not going to be this season.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:12 PM
  #769
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13
 
mrzeigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 3,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
Everybody taking to Twitter with happy messages about the lockout being over ... except for Geno ... Geno's getting into a TwitBattle with Sports.ru over a Rob Rossi tweet
I bet Malkin's parents have been loving these past several months. I tempered my anger over the lockout with the realization that the hockey fans in Russia have probably been so elated being able to see homegrown superstars such as Malkin, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk playing in their native land.

Still, it'll be great to see the Genos going crazy in the lower bowl of CEC after 71 scores ...


Last edited by mrzeigler: 01-07-2013 at 06:02 AM.
mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:08 PM
  #770
Candyman
Registered User
 
Candyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 1,134
vCash: 500
Kind of weird moment for Letang isn't it? Signs a brand new contract in Russia, only to back out less than a week later to come back to the NHL?

Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:57 PM
  #771
Fordy
the kid signify
 
Fordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 13,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Kind of weird moment for Letang isn't it? Signs a brand new contract in Russia, only to back out less than a week later to come back to the NHL?
I'm sure he got guaranteed cash regardless of whether or not he plays. And SKA gets publicity.

Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:45 PM
  #772
SHOOTANDSCORE
Registered User
 
SHOOTANDSCORE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I think you can have players float in and out of the dirty areas rather than having one dedicated, skill-deficient player take punishment in front of the net for a minute at a time while everybody else plays 4-on-4. Crosby's shown he can lurk in the weeds and then sneak in with a deft tip from the side of the cage.
Unless Malone gets bought out


SHOOTANDSCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:46 AM
  #773
Saison Marguerite
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
Geno getting interviewed after his latest game about the lockout ending:



Saw this translation of it get posted on Tumblr.

“Today I had a game. Of course I heard that the lockout is over, but I don’t know all the details, so it’s hard for me to say anything specific. Now I’m gonna read the news and talk to my agent and then I’ll see what comes next.

I have to go to Pittsburgh and honor my contract, there are 1.5 years left. So I’m going to call them, buy tickets. Tomorrow I’ll probably go home to pack my stuff.

It’s difficult, of course. I got used to the team and to my native city, but I did all I could, I honored my contract. I think we did well and showed good game. But now the lockout’s over I have obligations to Pittsburgh, so now it’s out of my hands.”


JF. I really hope it's either a) a bad translation, or b) Geno just being sentimental about leaving Mmg. Because otherwise, the tone of his interview doesn't sound too good.

Saison Marguerite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:36 AM
  #774
PensFan6687
Registered User
 
PensFan6687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Moreau View Post
Geno getting interviewed after his latest game about the lockout ending:



Saw this translation of it get posted on Tumblr.

“Today I had a game. Of course I heard that the lockout is over, but I don’t know all the details, so it’s hard for me to say anything specific. Now I’m gonna read the news and talk to my agent and then I’ll see what comes next.

I have to go to Pittsburgh and honor my contract, there are 1.5 years left. So I’m going to call them, buy tickets. Tomorrow I’ll probably go home to pack my stuff.

It’s difficult, of course. I got used to the team and to my native city, but I did all I could, I honored my contract. I think we did well and showed good game. But now the lockout’s over I have obligations to Pittsburgh, so now it’s out of my hands.”


JF. I really hope it's either a) a bad translation, or b) Geno just being sentimental about leaving Mmg. Because otherwise, the tone of his interview doesn't sound too good.
If that is what you got from his tone, then I think he has a legit reason to feel this way. Yes these guys get paid a lot to do what they do, but they also have a passion for what they do. Thus why a guy like Evgeni Malkin is so dominate. It shows he cares and he's into something. I want that from my players. I want them to care. Be disappointed. This won't effect his game at all. It just shows he does care about committing to a team's success. He was having a great time out there playing in front of his home city, with his dear friend Sergei Gonchar. I can't see anything wrong with this. I only see really good things.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:18 AM
  #775
OnMyOwn
Extremist
 
OnMyOwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: State College
Country: United States
Posts: 8,796
vCash: 500
Yea he's just upset over the bond he formed there. He'll forget about it once he's back here.

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.