HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Training Camp: Day 2 Over

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 06:26 PM
vancityluongo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknrink View Post
This core doesn't have the endurance to go 82 games + 16 wins.

It'll be interesting to see how well they do with a a half season. Usually by the half-way mark the team heats up ...
That's what I'm excited for. If the team can play the way they usually do in December/January in April/May, then woo. But if they play October hockey for a bit longer than usual, they could also be out of the playoff picture...

Old
01-06-2013, 06:28 PM
jigsaw99

Sedins Sedins Burrows
Booth Schreoder Higgins
Raymond Lapierre Hansen
Kassian Malholtra Wiese

Better

Old
01-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
this team is NOT looking good with the injury to kesler. ugh

this team better make some moves/bring in some help
The defense and goaltending is fine, it's the 2nd and 3rd forward lines that are huge question marks.

I think that we're still a playoff team without Kesler, but we're not a top team like in the previous couple of years.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
01-06-2013, 06:32 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
That's what I'm excited for. If the team can play the way they usually do in December/January in April/May, then woo. But if they play October hockey for a bit longer than usual, they could also be out of the playoff picture...
busting out my post from mid-august:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
this team has historically started slow. i can see it going one of two ways:

1. the team starts slow, doesn't get going soon enough, misses the playoffs. this could be especially true if one or two other NW division teams get off to hot starts (say, minnesota and one of colorado and edmonton).

2. team starts slow, gets going. enters the playoffs in mid-season mode when they are killing everyone. wins cup.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:34 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
If as suggested, the 50 game schedule is 100% in-conference play, that also means no long eastern road trips (although it benefits the NE and ATL divisions more).

The last time there was a shortened season, the NJ Devils won the cup. They benefited from low travel and a defensive system that didn't rely on speed, precision or flow. Hopefully we don't see this again.

One thing is certain - we can't have a slow start or a losing streak at any point in the season. It's also important not to give up the loser point (OTL) within the division.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

If we are going to try Schroeder and Kassian on a line together I'd prefer it be an accomplished two-way winger as the third linemate like Burrows or Higgins, not Booth.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:02 PM
hackey
You're Not Bored...

List of Free Agents September 15, 2012
Right before the lockout

Marco Sturm

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=636658

Old
01-06-2013, 07:06 PM
WonderTwinsUnite

Is Volpatti injured as well?

Old
01-06-2013, 07:07 PM
canuck4life16
Shinkaruk+Henrik=!!!

if Kassasin and Schroeder makes the team, we can finally have some ELC on the team which we lack......please make the team. We would save cap space

Old
01-06-2013, 07:12 PM
WonderTwinsUnite

In the similar vein to this thread...

What's happened to Bitz? A Google search didn't give much useful info. Retired, injured, playing in Europe, UFA still? I knew the Canuckus never re-signed him but past that I don't know.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:13 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
if Kassasin and Schroeder makes the team, we can finally have some ELC on the team which we lack......please make the team. We would save cap space
We'll need ELC contributors next year, this year we're fine, but should definitely start getting them contributing now.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:19 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
If we are going to try Schroeder and Kassian on a line together I'd prefer it be an accomplished two-way winger as the third linemate like Burrows or Higgins, not Booth.
Yeah I agree. You need someone with a high hockey IQ to play with young guys. I don't see that with Booth like I do with Higgins or Burrows.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:20 PM
PG Canuck

Time for Schroeder to make an impact.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Bitz and Bites

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Yeah I agree. You need someone with a high hockey IQ to play with young guys. I don't see that with Booth like I do with Higgins or Burrows.
Very good point...also Schroeder plays a cerebral game and needs linemates that can think at a high level as well,something I can't really picture Booth doing.Somehow he strikes me as being a bit dense...

Old
01-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Samzilla
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Schroeder-Kassian
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Weise-Malhotra-Raymond

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Ballard-Tanev

Schneider

This is what I want to see to start the season.
Ahahahaha. Can you imagine the spasms AV would have just seeing the bolded line in print?!?!

Old
01-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
I think the Canucks really need garrison to play extremely steady to let edler put up some offensive numbers.

I am just so 50/50 with this team. Not sure how its going to go... One thing I'll re-echo is that the team gets really hot 30+ games in... Lets hope it translates.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:26 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Sedin-Sedin-Booth/Kassian
Higgins-Schroeder-burrows
Booth-Lapierre-Hansen
Raymond-Manny-Weise

Old
01-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Samzilla
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
I think the Canucks really need garrison to play extremely steady to let edler put up some offensive numbers.

I am just so 50/50 with this team. Not sure how its going to go... One thing I'll re-echo is that the team gets really hot 30+ games in... Lets hope it translates.
It's so true. If we have a typical slow start something crazy like us missing the playoffs could happen due to the short season. However, if we make the playoffs, we should be heating up at just the right time.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
The defense and goaltending is fine, it's the 2nd and 3rd forward lines that are huge question marks.

I think that we're still a playoff team without Kesler, but we're not a top team like in the previous couple of years.
I think the only problem with the 2nd and 3rd lines is down the middle. Until Kesler is out we pretty much have no 2nd line centre and no 3rd line centre. If we can add a 3rd line centre and survive the first month of the season without Kesler then we'll be fine. Sure it would be nice to get an upgrade on Raymond in the top 9 but perhaps he can bounce back.

On defence the only question mark we've got is depth. Realistically you'd like to see the Canucks add at least one bottom pairing/depth defence men.

In goal we'll need a backup if Luongo is traded.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
I think the only problem with the 2nd and 3rd lines is down the middle. Until Kesler is out we pretty much have no 2nd line centre and no 3rd line centre. If we can add a 3rd line centre and survive the first month of the season without Kesler then we'll be fine. Sure it would be nice to get an upgrade on Raymond in the top 9 but perhaps he can bounce back.

On defence the only question mark we've got is depth. Realistically you'd like to see the Canucks add at least one bottom pairing/depth defence men.

In goal we'll need a backup if Luongo is traded.
Second line wing is a huge concern. The David Booth of last season was not good and who plays on the other wing when Kesler returns? We need a massive upgrade at the wing position and another center unless AV is willing to trust and have the patience for Schroeder to get it together and become an every day NHLer.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksallent View Post
Second line wing is a huge concern. The David Booth of last season was not good and who plays on the other wing when Kesler returns? We need a massive upgrade at the wing position and another center unless AV is willing to trust and have the patience for Schroeder to get it together and become an every day NHLer.
Go look around the league and see what other teams have on their 2nd line.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Go look around the league and see what other teams have on their 2nd line.
Who cares about other teams? We want to be a contender for the cup, we need to have a better performance from our 2nd and 3rd lines this year.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Tiranis

Just listening to the interview, Gillis mentioned Schroeder as playing well and challenging for a spot. (Kassian too but we all knew that.)

Old
01-06-2013, 09:18 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Who cares about other teams? We want to be a contender for the cup, we need to have a better performance from our 2nd and 3rd lines this year.
If what you have is as good as if not better than what everyone else has then you should be able to be a contender for the cup which is what we are.

The goal isn't exactly to assemble an all star team even though that would be nice. The goal is to assemble a team that is capable of beating the opposing team and even though our 2nd line may not be the best in the league it's still pretty darn good when Kesler is healthy.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Bieksallent

Quote:
If what you have is as good as if not better than what everyone else has then you should be able to be a contender for the cup which is what we are.

The goal isn't exactly to assemble an all star team even though that would be nice. The goal is to assemble a team that is capable of beating the opposing team and even though our 2nd line may not be the best in the league it's still pretty darn good when Kesler is healthy.
It couldn't score goals last year. When did Kesler get injured? How was their output before and after the injury? I still think a line with Kesler and Booth needs somebody that can manage the puck and make a pass or two. Too much head down, go to the net and shoot mentality between them.

Closed Thread