HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

All Prospect Talk

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Blue Liner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
I dont hate Nick Leddy, as I have met him more then once while he has been down here and find him a decent kid.

But he isnt that good.
I think it goes without saying when discussing players here it's never a personal thing but about them as a player. Glad to hear he's a decent human being.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Sevanston

If Leddy's point totals are a product of the Hawks, then at least he's fitting better than Campbell was.

Y'know, considering in Leddy's first full year, he outscored Campbell's final season with the Hawks, and nearly matched his 09-10 season.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:26 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Nope. Leddy is not any better defensively and will get smoked again if he is given a spot on the Hawks blue line. I'd rather Hawks trade him while he is worth something.
He hasn't been getting "smoked" in the 2 seasons he's been in the NHL. He's still a work in progress in his own zone, that doesn't mean you trade him. He's 21.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
He hasn't been getting "smoked" in the 2 seasons he's been in the NHL. He's still a work in progress in his own zone, that doesn't mean you trade him. He's 21.
Bolded for emphasis.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:40 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
The point really is, can Hawks afford to have 3 no-hitters like Keith, Leddy and Oduya and expect to contend? Keith isn't going anywhere, Oduya is freshly signed and would be difficult to move, so that leaves Leddy. Yes, he's 21 but I don't see him ever being a solid defensive player.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
The point really is, can Hawks afford to have 3 no-hitters like Keith, Leddy and Oduya and expect to contend? Keith isn't going anywhere, Oduya is freshly signed and would be difficult to move, so that leaves Leddy. Yes, he's 21 but I don't see him ever being a solid defensive player.
^
Curious what did you think of Keith's defensive game at 21?

Old
01-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I can imagine that Leddy will be paired with Rozi... that would make up for Leddys D

Old
01-06-2013, 05:48 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Keith is physical. He doesn't hit like a mac-truck, that doesn't mean he's not physical. Leddy and Oduya are on the soft side, sure.. but as long as they aren't paired together, it shouldn't be a problem as long as they move the puck efficiently.. but alot of that will have more to do with coaching than they on-ice abilities.

As to the bolded, that's great, doesn't seem too wise though. Leddy isn't close to his prime and is entering his third Pro season. He'll never be a shutdown Dman, but he won't have to be.. he needs to be better, and he will be, again.. he's 21.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

as long as he ends up doing his job ... PMD/offensiv D ... I don't really have a problem with his game. Being 25th in D scoring on a team with Keith and Seabrook isn't that bad

Old
01-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
If Leddy's point totals are a product of the Hawks, then at least he's fitting better than Campbell was.
Explain
Quote:
Y'know, considering in Leddy's first full year, he outscored Campbell's final season with the Hawks, and nearly matched his 09-10 season.
And is a complete turnstyle in his own end while Campbell was that much better then Leddy while on the ice.

Wait, he put up points, yes, thats the end all over looking how the Hawks allowed how many more goals against in his first full year. I mean, if Leddy was Phil Housely, it could be over looked considering Housely was an all offensive defenseman and teams had to focus on him while hes out there, and to an extent, Campbell provided a similar responce from teams because of his elite offensive skils.

But alas, Laddy isnt that good. A decent puck moving defenseman doesnt justify top four minutes for a team that, as many here say, is built to win a Cup now instead of waiting until all those prized prospects mature. I might be mistaken, but I didnt see Leddy take the reigns and make Hammer look like somebody Bowman compared to Lidstrom, while I did hear that when Campbell was here. Nope, just didnt. What I did see, and this is from my very own eyes, was Hammer take a step backwards in development while trying to cover up for Leddy and getting himself out of position countless times because Leddy just cant take the punishment and is nothing but a brick wall when the other team is in close quarters with him.

Sometimes the truth hurts, and understandibly so, but hope and projection doesnt make up for actual talent.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
^
Curious what did you think of Keith's defensive game at 21?
Duncan Keith wasnt in the NHL when he was 21.

See the difference?

Old
01-06-2013, 06:03 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

And at this point, Leddy is much better off developing his game in the NHL than the AHL.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
But alas, Laddy isnt that good. A decent puck moving defenseman doesnt justify top four minutes for a team that, as many here say, is built to win a Cup now instead of waiting until all those prized prospects mature. I might be mistaken, but I didnt see Leddy take the reigns and make Hammer look like somebody Bowman compared to Lidstrom, while I did hear that when Campbell was here. Nope, just didnt. What I did see, and this is from my very own eyes, was Hammer take a step backwards in development while trying to cover up for Leddy and getting himself out of position countless times because Leddy just cant take the punishment and is nothing but a brick wall when the other team is in close quarters with him.
Leddy's bad because Hjalmarsson regressed.

Great reasoning there.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Leddy's bad because Hjalmarsson regressed.

Great reasoning there.
No. Leddy, and all his defensive lapses, forced Hammerstrom to pick up the slack, taking him away from his own responsibilities, making him the cosmic turd he has become.

Its not rocket science. Hammerstrom had more faith in Campbell and vice versa then the defensive pylon that is Nick Leddy.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:10 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
No. Leddy, and all his defensive lapses, forced Hammerstrom to pick up the slack, taking him away from his own responsibilities, making him the cosmic turd he has become.

Its not rocket science. Hammerstrom had more faith in Campbell and vice versa then the defensive pylon that is Nick Leddy.
Hjalmarsson is bad because Leddy is bad.

The blame couldn't possibly rest with Hammer. Or even the coaches.

Just Leddy.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
And at this point, Leddy is much better off developing his game in the NHL than the AHL.
Really? When he hasnt done anything to develop his game defensively in the A?

Leddy could have took advantage of the lock out and instead, decided to just be the same old lilly soft skater he was last year in the NHL. You know what, I cant blame the kid. Its managements fault if they reward him instead of force him to actually develop.

30 points with many of them being secondary assists isnt gonna stop him from allowing 40.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:21 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:

Leddy could have took advantage of the lock out and instead, decided to just be the same old lilly soft skater he was last year in the NHL. You know what, I cant blame the kid. Its managements fault if they reward him instead of force him to actually develop.

30 points with many of them being secondary assists isnt gonna stop him from allowing 40.
I don't care how many points Leddy puts up. I care about his puck-moving/skating. That's what the Hawks need. Leddy could have put up 0 points last year and I'd still want him on the team because you need guys that are good in transition and Leddy is good in transition. The defense is a work in progress, but he's better off fine tuning his game in the NHL, where he's been for most of the past 2 seasons, than in the AHL.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:28 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:

That is what I see as well. This kid should be a project for the organization but it seems he has no direction to work on his weaknesses, hence has not progressed. If AHL players can exploit him like we witnessed on the weekend, it ain't gonna get better in Chicago. Leave him in Rockford and get some coaches in there that know the game and can teach these kids.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:21 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:

Leddy -12, Campbell +28 on the same team (almost) in similar roles, that's a huge difference.

Bringing up Campbells Panther stats as one poster did doesn't mean squat.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:13 PM
Judrix
Kruger is our 2C

Wild idea, maybe 21 year old Leddy will get better at his defense...nah probably not.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:38 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Look at who me's posts about Keith his first few years when he was older than Leddy is now and judge if you think he's anywhere near a finished product.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:25 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

anyone heard anything about stephen johns recently?

Old
01-07-2013, 10:20 PM
RomersWorld*

Kent Simpson continues to suck.

Wings' prospect Petr Mrazek was great in Toledo, but got called up. Now the guy they sent down Pearce, is getting all the starts because Simpson blows.

Petr Mrazek 2-1, 2.02 GAA, .944 SV%
Jordan Pearce 10-5, 2.53 GAA, .908 SV%
Kent Simpson 7-7, 2.83 GAA, .885 SV%

Not very promising. Maybe should've went with Carruth who is dominating in extreme fashion in the WHL. Simpson might've been the one who needed the extra year.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Teräväinen is supposedly playing with Mestis team Kiekko-Vantaa (along with some other Jokerit juniors from the WJC) on Tuesday for some reason...

Old
01-07-2013, 11:45 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Kent Simpson continues to suck.

Wings' prospect Petr Mrazek was great in Toledo, but got called up. Now the guy they sent down Pearce, is getting all the starts because Simpson blows.

Petr Mrazek 2-1, 2.02 GAA, .944 SV%
Jordan Pearce 10-5, 2.53 GAA, .908 SV%
Kent Simpson 7-7, 2.83 GAA, .885 SV%

Not very promising. Maybe should've went with Carruth who is dominating in extreme fashion in the WHL. Simpson might've been the one who needed the extra year.
I have Mattsson and Carruth ahead as goalie prospects for my picks.

Closed Thread