HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Prospect Talk PART V

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 12:00 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
I normally wouldn't want Strome to be up this year, but I could see him landing on the team this season for a few reasons.

-Cap (a la Nino)
-His confidence couldn't be higher right now, due to his OHL point production.
-If he has a great camp

Old
01-06-2013, 12:44 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

I really liked what I saw from Strome at the WJC's. Same goes for Reinhart, but Griffin still needs to work on his skating and I'd like to see him try and work on his offensive game with the Oil Kings. The more I think about it, I think Strome deserves a chance in camp and if he proves himself, then I wouldn't hate seeing him at the 2C(maybe sharing some of that load with Frans). But he would really need to prove himself and not be just average. He is having a phenomenal season in the OHL and I'd hate to see that get ruined if he isn't truly ready to come up.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:13 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyiguy21 View Post
I really liked what I saw from Strome at the WJC's. Same goes for Reinhart, but Griffin still needs to work on his skating and I'd like to see him try and work on his offensive game with the Oil Kings. The more I think about it, I think Strome deserves a chance in camp and if he proves himself, then I wouldn't hate seeing him at the 2C(maybe sharing some of that load with Frans). But he would really need to prove himself and not be just average. He is having a phenomenal season in the OHL and I'd hate to see that get ruined if he isn't truly ready to come up.
I think Strome would be in a good situation if he were to make the team. Unlike Bailey from several years ago. Less pressure of not having to be "the guy" with Tavares a line above him and Frans a line below. Assuming Moulson and Boyes play with Johnny, that would leave a couple of young vets to surround Strome on his line in Bailey and KO.

I think it's a better environment now for a young guy to adjust to the NHL game. Assuming he looks like he belongs in camp, however long that would be.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:19 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I think Strome would be in a good situation if he were to make the team. Unlike Bailey from several years ago. Less pressure of not having to be "the guy" with Tavares a line above him and Frans a line below. Assuming Moulson and Boyes play with Johnny, that would leave a couple of young vets to surround Strome on his line in Bailey and KO.

I think it's a better environment now for a young guy to adjust to the NHL game. Assuming he looks like he belongs in camp, however long that would be.
Reading your post just gave me another thought. Tavares has been guiding Strome and will be a great influence on him if he were to be here. Tavares can definitely show him how to do things right.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:00 PM
scott99

I thought I read somewhere that the Isles did NOT put Strome on the list of eligible players to be invited to camp. Therefore he must spend the whole season in juniors. I may be wrong but I thought I read that here.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:16 PM
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky

I have been out of the loop for too long ever since the lockout has happened. So, considering I'm too lazy to read everything, can anyone give me a rundown on how the kids are doing?

Much obliged!

Old
01-06-2013, 02:19 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I thought I read somewhere that the Isles did NOT put Strome on the list of eligible players to be invited to camp. Therefore he must spend the whole season in juniors. I may be wrong but I thought I read that here.
There was a list that left the Isles out. Here is what people believe is the official list:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-lockout-ends/

Old
01-06-2013, 02:34 PM
scott99

Interesting, so Strome can come to camp. I hope they don't ask him to come though, let him finish out the year in the OHL.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:00 PM
iggy

Can Kichton be signed in the middle of the season and play the
reat of the season with BP?

Old
01-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Degeneration Rex

Niagara just lost a shootout 2-1 to Sarnia, Graham assisted on the goal. Niagara announcers
are saying they expect Strome, Hamilton and Ritchie to go to their NHL training camp.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:57 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Niagara just lost a shootout 2-1 to Sarnia, Graham assisted on the goal. Niagara announcers
are saying they expect Strome, Hamilton and Ritchie to go to their NHL training camp.
I feel for the Ice Dogs, they've probably been wanting to trade Strome and Hamilton all season. Their rebuild plan was shot to crap because of the lockout.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I feel for the Ice Dogs, they've probably been wanting to trade Strome and Hamilton all season. Their rebuild plan was shot to crap because of the lockout.
I'm listening to their post game show. They say Hamilton has no trade value since he's
going and likely to stay with Boston. Best they could do with Strome is made some kind of
conditional deal based on the Islanders returning him. OHL trade deadline is the 10th.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:20 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Interesting, so Strome can come to camp. I hope they don't ask him to come though, let him finish out the year in the OHL.
I disagree. The success of the Islanders is the most important thing. Bring him to camp and if he looks like he contribute keep him around. If not, send him back for the rest of the year. No harm done.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
There was a list that left the Isles out. Here is what people believe is the official list:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-lockout-ends/
If you read McKenzies tweets this morning on the matter, he stated the Islanders have both Strome and Reinhart on the list.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:02 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
If you read McKenzies tweets this morning on the matter, he stated the Islanders have both Strome and Reinhart on the list.
Reinhart has no business being anywhere near that camp this season. I am aghast they'd even consider it. I know, let's rush yet another player into the league because it worked out so well for Nino. ROLLS EYES

Old
01-06-2013, 09:07 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Reinhart has no business being anywhere near that camp this season. I am aghast they'd even consider it. I know, let's rush yet another player into the league because it worked out so well for Nino. ROLLS EYES
You do realize that Reinhart isn't guaranteed anything, right? Plus, don't you think it could be beneficial to a guy like Reinhart to get some time in an NHL camp, playing against NHL talent, even for just a week or however long camps last?

I think it would make less sense to not have him on the list.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:51 AM
StumpNYI

Quote:
You do realize that Reinhart isn't guaranteed anything, right? Plus, don't you think it could be beneficial to a guy like Reinhart to get some time in an NHL camp, playing against NHL talent, even for just a week or however long camps last?

I think it would make less sense to not have him on the list.
I agree only if he does not see any NHL action. If the WJC wasnt enough to make him realize he needs to work on his foot speed or sense of urgency or whatever it is, an NHL camp will surely wake him up. But he really needs to be back in the WHL. Just a little kick in the butt will do him some good. Let him get cut and maybe that will fire him up a bit. Like Doug Weight said, "We just need to piss him off."

Old
01-07-2013, 09:01 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
I agree only if he does not see any NHL action. If the WJC wasnt enough to make him realize he needs to work on his foot speed or sense of urgency or whatever it is, an NHL camp will surely wake him up. But he really needs to be back in the WHL. Just a little kick in the butt will do him some good. Let him get cut and maybe that will fire him up a bit. Like Doug Weight said, "We just need to piss him off."
Exactly, and getting a sense of the speed of the NHL should definitely help him in that area. I highly doubt he'll even be considered for a spot on this team(even if Visnovsky doesn't show), but I think it could be good for him to get some playing time with NHLers.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:13 AM
InformTheMasses

I think a 9 game tryout for Strome and Reinhart are basically certainties at this point. Would I do it? That's a different question entirely. Going to be too tempting for Wang/Snow/Cap to use these two players for a sizable portion of the season without have to burn a year of their ELC. Expect both to return to Juniors after the 9 game showcase.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:31 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I think a 9 game tryout for Strome and Reinhart are basically certainties at this point. Would I do it? That's a different question entirely. Going to be too tempting for Wang/Snow/Cap to use these two players for a sizable portion of the season without have to burn a year of their ELC. Expect both to return to Juniors after the 9 game showcase.
I would agree as far as Strome is concerned, that said I'd be surprised if Reinhart gets the 9-game tryout(if there even is one with this compressed schedule). With Visnovsky we have 5 guarantees(Vis, Streit, Hamonic, MacDonald and Carkner). That leaves one spot which I expect Donovan to get, with a guy like Wishart being a darkhorse with the way he's played lately. I just don't see a spot for Reinhart yet. If Vis doesn't show it could be a different story, but I expect him to be here.

With Strome, I think he has a pretty good shot at making it. Especially if his solid play this year carries over into camp. This team is in pretty desperate need of a scoring 2nd line center, and he could be a pretty nice fit there. The spot is there for him to take it, it's just a matter of how he performs. Way too early to tell if he will or won't be here, IMO.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:03 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Curious, does anyone else see Kichton getting the bump to Bridgeport if/when a guy like Donovan ends up on LI? Is it even possible for him to leave Spokane this late in the season?

If it is, I'd say he deserves it. I'm assuming it isn't possible though, unfortunately.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:12 AM
InformTheMasses

They can sign him and bring him to bport after his WHL season is over. I expect that they will, because Bports defense without Hamonic, Donovan, Wishart and then de haan being out for the year is dreadful.

I would expect them to try and Sign not only Kichton but also Pedan, and try and make a run at guys like Mayfield, Russo, Pokka. Thos wont be for another few months though.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:34 AM
StrongIslanders90

I just hope we dont see the "islanders" version of a 9 game tryout...

you practice with the team, travel, and get a pro paycheck but you dont play in any games....

Id rather send them back to juniors all together to get the most hockey in as they can....

Reinhart is imo our most important prospect at this point because we dont have any other defensman with true top 2 potential like him....of course a kid not expected could always exceed expectations but with Reinhart the talent and potential is already there. We just have to develope him correctly...

Old
01-07-2013, 10:41 AM
kasper11

FYI, according to Arthur Staple, the college UFA rule was not changed, meaning that Anders Lee can become a UFA this summer.

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...23097029914624

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...23206031478784

Last edited by Homeland Security: 01-07-2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Added Tweets to confirm.
Old
01-07-2013, 10:41 AM
BeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I just hope we dont see the "islanders" version of a 9 game tryout...

you practice with the team, travel, and get a pro paycheck but you dont play in any games....

Id rather send them back to juniors all together to get the most hockey in as they can....

Reinhart is imo our most important prospect at this point because we dont have any other defensman with true top 2 potential like him....of course a kid not expected could always exceed expectations but with Reinhart the talent and potential is already there. We just have to develope him correctly...
I'm hoping they take the same route as they did with De Haan (our last highly touted defensive prospect). Let him develop more in the juniors, bring him to Bridgeport and use him as a call up if a regular goes down. Lets just hope he has a little better luck injury wise then De Haan does...

Closed Thread