HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Prospect Talk PART V

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2013, 12:00 PM
  #426
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User
 
OrangeZebra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,994
vCash: 500
I normally wouldn't want Strome to be up this year, but I could see him landing on the team this season for a few reasons.

-Cap (a la Nino)
-His confidence couldn't be higher right now, due to his OHL point production.
-If he has a great camp

OrangeZebra is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 12:44 PM
  #427
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade
 
nyiguy21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York
Country: Poland
Posts: 2,114
vCash: 500
I really liked what I saw from Strome at the WJC's. Same goes for Reinhart, but Griffin still needs to work on his skating and I'd like to see him try and work on his offensive game with the Oil Kings. The more I think about it, I think Strome deserves a chance in camp and if he proves himself, then I wouldn't hate seeing him at the 2C(maybe sharing some of that load with Frans). But he would really need to prove himself and not be just average. He is having a phenomenal season in the OHL and I'd hate to see that get ruined if he isn't truly ready to come up.

nyiguy21 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 01:13 PM
  #428
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyiguy21 View Post
I really liked what I saw from Strome at the WJC's. Same goes for Reinhart, but Griffin still needs to work on his skating and I'd like to see him try and work on his offensive game with the Oil Kings. The more I think about it, I think Strome deserves a chance in camp and if he proves himself, then I wouldn't hate seeing him at the 2C(maybe sharing some of that load with Frans). But he would really need to prove himself and not be just average. He is having a phenomenal season in the OHL and I'd hate to see that get ruined if he isn't truly ready to come up.
I think Strome would be in a good situation if he were to make the team. Unlike Bailey from several years ago. Less pressure of not having to be "the guy" with Tavares a line above him and Frans a line below. Assuming Moulson and Boyes play with Johnny, that would leave a couple of young vets to surround Strome on his line in Bailey and KO.

I think it's a better environment now for a young guy to adjust to the NHL game. Assuming he looks like he belongs in camp, however long that would be.

blinkman360 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 01:19 PM
  #429
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade
 
nyiguy21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York
Country: Poland
Posts: 2,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I think Strome would be in a good situation if he were to make the team. Unlike Bailey from several years ago. Less pressure of not having to be "the guy" with Tavares a line above him and Frans a line below. Assuming Moulson and Boyes play with Johnny, that would leave a couple of young vets to surround Strome on his line in Bailey and KO.

I think it's a better environment now for a young guy to adjust to the NHL game. Assuming he looks like he belongs in camp, however long that would be.
Reading your post just gave me another thought. Tavares has been guiding Strome and will be a great influence on him if he were to be here. Tavares can definitely show him how to do things right.

nyiguy21 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 02:00 PM
  #430
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,454
vCash: 500
I thought I read somewhere that the Isles did NOT put Strome on the list of eligible players to be invited to camp. Therefore he must spend the whole season in juniors. I may be wrong but I thought I read that here.

scott99 is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 02:16 PM
  #431
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky
 
KingLio21093's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,814
vCash: 500
I have been out of the loop for too long ever since the lockout has happened. So, considering I'm too lazy to read everything, can anyone give me a rundown on how the kids are doing?

Much obliged!

KingLio21093 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 02:19 PM
  #432
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I thought I read somewhere that the Isles did NOT put Strome on the list of eligible players to be invited to camp. Therefore he must spend the whole season in juniors. I may be wrong but I thought I read that here.
There was a list that left the Isles out. Here is what people believe is the official list:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-lockout-ends/

blinkman360 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 02:34 PM
  #433
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,454
vCash: 500
Interesting, so Strome can come to camp. I hope they don't ask him to come though, let him finish out the year in the OHL.

scott99 is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 03:00 PM
  #434
iggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 71
vCash: 500
Can Kichton be signed in the middle of the season and play the
reat of the season with BP?

iggy is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 03:49 PM
  #435
Degeneration Rex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Upstate,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,169
vCash: 500
Niagara just lost a shootout 2-1 to Sarnia, Graham assisted on the goal. Niagara announcers
are saying they expect Strome, Hamilton and Ritchie to go to their NHL training camp.

Degeneration Rex is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 03:57 PM
  #436
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Niagara just lost a shootout 2-1 to Sarnia, Graham assisted on the goal. Niagara announcers
are saying they expect Strome, Hamilton and Ritchie to go to their NHL training camp.
I feel for the Ice Dogs, they've probably been wanting to trade Strome and Hamilton all season. Their rebuild plan was shot to crap because of the lockout.

PWJunior is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 04:07 PM
  #437
Degeneration Rex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Upstate,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I feel for the Ice Dogs, they've probably been wanting to trade Strome and Hamilton all season. Their rebuild plan was shot to crap because of the lockout.
I'm listening to their post game show. They say Hamilton has no trade value since he's
going and likely to stay with Boston. Best they could do with Strome is made some kind of
conditional deal based on the Islanders returning him. OHL trade deadline is the 10th.

Degeneration Rex is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 05:20 PM
  #438
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Interesting, so Strome can come to camp. I hope they don't ask him to come though, let him finish out the year in the OHL.
I disagree. The success of the Islanders is the most important thing. Bring him to camp and if he looks like he contribute keep him around. If not, send him back for the rest of the year. No harm done.

blinkman360 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 06:24 PM
  #439
Isles Enforcer
Registered User
 
Isles Enforcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,861
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
There was a list that left the Isles out. Here is what people believe is the official list:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-lockout-ends/
If you read McKenzies tweets this morning on the matter, he stated the Islanders have both Strome and Reinhart on the list.

Isles Enforcer is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 09:02 PM
  #440
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
If you read McKenzies tweets this morning on the matter, he stated the Islanders have both Strome and Reinhart on the list.
Reinhart has no business being anywhere near that camp this season. I am aghast they'd even consider it. I know, let's rush yet another player into the league because it worked out so well for Nino. ROLLS EYES

A Pointed Stick is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 09:07 PM
  #441
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Reinhart has no business being anywhere near that camp this season. I am aghast they'd even consider it. I know, let's rush yet another player into the league because it worked out so well for Nino. ROLLS EYES
You do realize that Reinhart isn't guaranteed anything, right? Plus, don't you think it could be beneficial to a guy like Reinhart to get some time in an NHL camp, playing against NHL talent, even for just a week or however long camps last?

I think it would make less sense to not have him on the list.

blinkman360 is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 08:51 AM
  #442
StumpNYI
Registered User
 
StumpNYI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
You do realize that Reinhart isn't guaranteed anything, right? Plus, don't you think it could be beneficial to a guy like Reinhart to get some time in an NHL camp, playing against NHL talent, even for just a week or however long camps last?

I think it would make less sense to not have him on the list.
I agree only if he does not see any NHL action. If the WJC wasnt enough to make him realize he needs to work on his foot speed or sense of urgency or whatever it is, an NHL camp will surely wake him up. But he really needs to be back in the WHL. Just a little kick in the butt will do him some good. Let him get cut and maybe that will fire him up a bit. Like Doug Weight said, "We just need to piss him off."

StumpNYI is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 09:01 AM
  #443
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
I agree only if he does not see any NHL action. If the WJC wasnt enough to make him realize he needs to work on his foot speed or sense of urgency or whatever it is, an NHL camp will surely wake him up. But he really needs to be back in the WHL. Just a little kick in the butt will do him some good. Let him get cut and maybe that will fire him up a bit. Like Doug Weight said, "We just need to piss him off."
Exactly, and getting a sense of the speed of the NHL should definitely help him in that area. I highly doubt he'll even be considered for a spot on this team(even if Visnovsky doesn't show), but I think it could be good for him to get some playing time with NHLers.

blinkman360 is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 09:13 AM
  #444
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,758
vCash: 500
I think a 9 game tryout for Strome and Reinhart are basically certainties at this point. Would I do it? That's a different question entirely. Going to be too tempting for Wang/Snow/Cap to use these two players for a sizable portion of the season without have to burn a year of their ELC. Expect both to return to Juniors after the 9 game showcase.

InformTheMasses is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 09:31 AM
  #445
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I think a 9 game tryout for Strome and Reinhart are basically certainties at this point. Would I do it? That's a different question entirely. Going to be too tempting for Wang/Snow/Cap to use these two players for a sizable portion of the season without have to burn a year of their ELC. Expect both to return to Juniors after the 9 game showcase.
I would agree as far as Strome is concerned, that said I'd be surprised if Reinhart gets the 9-game tryout(if there even is one with this compressed schedule). With Visnovsky we have 5 guarantees(Vis, Streit, Hamonic, MacDonald and Carkner). That leaves one spot which I expect Donovan to get, with a guy like Wishart being a darkhorse with the way he's played lately. I just don't see a spot for Reinhart yet. If Vis doesn't show it could be a different story, but I expect him to be here.

With Strome, I think he has a pretty good shot at making it. Especially if his solid play this year carries over into camp. This team is in pretty desperate need of a scoring 2nd line center, and he could be a pretty nice fit there. The spot is there for him to take it, it's just a matter of how he performs. Way too early to tell if he will or won't be here, IMO.

blinkman360 is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 10:03 AM
  #446
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,865
vCash: 500
Curious, does anyone else see Kichton getting the bump to Bridgeport if/when a guy like Donovan ends up on LI? Is it even possible for him to leave Spokane this late in the season?

If it is, I'd say he deserves it. I'm assuming it isn't possible though, unfortunately.

blinkman360 is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 10:12 AM
  #447
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,758
vCash: 500
They can sign him and bring him to bport after his WHL season is over. I expect that they will, because Bports defense without Hamonic, Donovan, Wishart and then de haan being out for the year is dreadful.

I would expect them to try and Sign not only Kichton but also Pedan, and try and make a run at guys like Mayfield, Russo, Pokka. Thos wont be for another few months though.

InformTheMasses is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 10:34 AM
  #448
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,468
vCash: 500
I just hope we dont see the "islanders" version of a 9 game tryout...

you practice with the team, travel, and get a pro paycheck but you dont play in any games....

Id rather send them back to juniors all together to get the most hockey in as they can....

Reinhart is imo our most important prospect at this point because we dont have any other defensman with true top 2 potential like him....of course a kid not expected could always exceed expectations but with Reinhart the talent and potential is already there. We just have to develope him correctly...

StrongIslanders90 is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 10:41 AM
  #449
kasper11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,708
vCash: 500
FYI, according to Arthur Staple, the college UFA rule was not changed, meaning that Anders Lee can become a UFA this summer.



https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...23097029914624



https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...23206031478784


Last edited by Homeland Security: 01-07-2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Added Tweets to confirm.
kasper11 is online now  
Old
01-07-2013, 10:41 AM
  #450
BeMoney
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I just hope we dont see the "islanders" version of a 9 game tryout...

you practice with the team, travel, and get a pro paycheck but you dont play in any games....

Id rather send them back to juniors all together to get the most hockey in as they can....

Reinhart is imo our most important prospect at this point because we dont have any other defensman with true top 2 potential like him....of course a kid not expected could always exceed expectations but with Reinhart the talent and potential is already there. We just have to develope him correctly...
I'm hoping they take the same route as they did with De Haan (our last highly touted defensive prospect). Let him develop more in the juniors, bring him to Bridgeport and use him as a call up if a regular goes down. Lets just hope he has a little better luck injury wise then De Haan does...

BeMoney is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.