HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13: Your lineup for opening night

Old
01-06-2013, 11:26 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
Offense:
Purcell-Lecav-Malone
Marty-Stamkos-Option (Conacher, Killorn, Connolly)
Pyatt-Pouliot-Option (Wilson, Crombeen)
Dana-Nate-Adam

Defense:
Heddy-Carle
Brewer-Auile (I know, but hes getting a shot at the 4 spot)
Salo
----------
Mikk-Lee
MAB

THE DERS
Garon

Also extremely unlikely Connolly is with the big club. He stays, along with Panik to assume bigger roles with Syracuse, and when we have better options in place for Syracuse next season (namely Kucherov) to lose a forward to the big club, then they'll get another look. Labrie, Wyman, Brown, Killorn, possibly Barberio will be callups.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:27 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

WELCOME ANDERS (THE DERS) LINDBACK

Old
01-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Bolt32

Purcell-Stamkos-St.Louis
Malone-Vinny-Connolly
Panik-Killorn-Pouliot
Tyrell-Thompson-Hall
Wyman/Pyatt

Hedman-Carle
Brewer-Salo
Lee-Mikkelson
MAB

Lindback
Garon

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:40 AM
I Am Beat You

Purcell-Stamkos-Malone
Connolly-Lecavalier-St. Louis
Pouliot-Pyatt-Wyman
Crombeen-Thompson-Hall
(Tyrell)

Hedman-Salo
Carle-Brewer
Aulie-Lee
(Bergeron, Mikkelson)

Lindback
Garon

I'd love to see some more Crunch guys in there but I won't keep my hopes up. I wish the Lightning would take after Syracuse in the character/toughness department, as the high end skill is already there. While I'm pumped for the NHL to be back, I find our AHL affiliate to be a more exciting team. Not many groups I recall that are/were as tight and as well rounded as the Crunch are today.

Regardless, I'm fine with most of these lineups. I don't get the love for Wyman but I doubt he ends up being a regular if everyone's healthy.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:58 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

First, the roster without any Crunch players:

Malone // Stamkos // St. Louis
Pouliot // Lecavalier // Purcell
Tyrell // Pyatt // Wilson
Hall // Thompson // Crombeen

Hedman // Carle
Brewer // Salo
Mikkelson // Lee
MAB

Lindback
Garon

Not terrible, but secondary scoring would be an issue.

Now, the roster without any regards to keeping the Crunch competitive (SYR players in bold):

Connolly // Lecavalier // Purcell
Pouliot // Johnson // Killorn
Pyatt // Thompson // Crombeen
Tyrell, Hall, Wilson

Hedman // Carle
Brewer // Salo
Aulie // Lee
Mikkelson, MAB

Lindback
Garon

I'm gonna guess that the opening night roster will be somewhere in between those two. Maybe Conacher instead of Connolly, and only one of Johnson or Killorn get called up. Aulie only gets called up if he is going to be playing as one of our top 6 dmen.

So maybe:

Conacher // Lecavalier // Purcell
Pouliot // Killorn // Tyrell
Pyatt // Thompson // Crombeen
Hall, Wilson

Hedman // Carle
Brewer // Salo
Aulie // Lee
Mikkelson, MAB

Lindback
Garon

Thoughts:
- I like Malone on a line with Marty/Stammer
- If we are going to have a young scoring line forward, they should probably play on Vinny's line
- 3rd line center is a big question mark. Is Killorn or Johnson ready for it?
- How is Lindback's injury? (Didn't he have stitches in his leg or something?)
- OMG, NHL hockey!

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:58 PM
HoseEmDown

Malone-Stamkos-Purcell
St Louis-Lecavalier-Connolly
Pouilet-Pyatt-Hall
Wilson-Thompson-Crombeen
Tyrell

Herman-Carle
Brewer-Salo
Bergeron-Lee
Mikkelson

Linback-Garon

I think with how well the Crunch are playing and the players are developing I don't think we''ll bring up too many prospects. I only see Connolly since he has NIL experience, and he's showing the scoring we had hoped. I think we keep Aullie down just so there's no chance to lose him to waivers. It's not the strongest looking team but we are slowly building a deep organization and don't think we should rush anybody. It all depends on how Lindback does to know how we should decide to play any rookies.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:25 PM
sillystring

Am i the only one thinking that Malone will be in the third line? freeing a spot on the top six for a rookie/connoly. And i am sorry for saying this but i think we should but mikkelson in waivers.

sillystring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:15 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillystring View Post
Am i the only one thinking that Malone will be in the third line? freeing a spot on the top six for a rookie/connoly. And i am sorry for saying this but i think we should but mikkelson in waivers.
If we are gonna put Malone on the 3rd line we might as well just trade him. We can't pay a 3rd liner that kind of money with a lower cap and he has trade value. Im sure he'll be on the top 2 lines cause he's our only proven LW.

I didn't realize Aullie would have to go through waivers to stay in the A so im sure he'll be on the team now. I think Angelidis will also get a chance to be the 3/4 line LW cause he'd need to go through waivers, I doubt he'd get picked up but I think he can help the big club.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:24 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Mikkelson was far from terrible. He's a capable bottom pairing guy who got bumped up due to injuries. Some of you are misremembering how he played.

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
If we are gonna put Malone on the 3rd line we might as well just trade him. We can't pay a 3rd liner that kind of money with a lower cap and he has trade value. Im sure he'll be on the top 2 lines cause he's our only proven LW.

I didn't realize Aullie would have to go through waivers to stay in the A so im sure he'll be on the team now. I think Angelidis will also get a chance to be the 3/4 line LW cause he'd need to go through waivers, I doubt he'd get picked up but I think he can help the big club.
Aulie signed a lockout contract with the Syracuse Crunch. Even when he was free to sign anywhere he wanted, the allure of the Tampa Bay Lightning organization was too great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
Mikkelson was far from terrible. He's a capable bottom pairing guy who got bumped up due to injuries. Some of you are misremembering how he played.
As I recall, the Lightning kind of faded in conditioning, Mikkelsson was a guy who benefitted from a lot since he's a guy who hits.

Remember *****ing about the conditioning and goalie coaches?

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:01 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Aulie signed a lockout contract with the Syracuse Crunch. Even when he was free to sign anywhere he wanted, the allure of the Tampa Bay Lightning organization was too great.

He wasn't free to sign with anyone we owned his rights, he was resigned as a RFA and assigned to Syracuse. Paul Ranger let his RFA eligibility pass and then he was free to sign anywhere and thats why he was able to join the Marlies.

Mikkelson is ok for a bottom pair guy, he'll be on the team but he might be a healthy scratch most nights due to our D depth.

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 01-07-2013 at 02:46 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
Old
01-06-2013, 06:27 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Connolly would have to have one hell of a camp to make the big club. Don't see it happening.

No chance at Johnson this season.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:30 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Malone-Stamkos-Purcell
St Louis-Lecavalier-Connolly
Pouilet-Pyatt-Hall
Wilson-Thompson-Crombeen
Tyrell

Herman-Carle
Brewer-Salo
Bergeron-Lee
Mikkelson

Linback-Garon

I think with how well the Crunch are playing and the players are developing I don't think we''ll bring up too many prospects. I only see Connolly since he has NIL experience, and he's showing the scoring we had hoped. I think we keep Aullie down just so there's no chance to lose him to waivers. It's not the strongest looking team but we are slowly building a deep organization and don't think we should rush anybody. It all depends on how Lindback does to know how we should decide to play any rookies.
Thats not how that works.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:04 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillystring View Post
Maybe not necessarily for a rookie but Malone-Pyatt-Connolly was together as a line during the end of the season, so it could happen. Boucher plays him like a defensive forward sometimes and mixes up the lines, but with only 5 (Stamkos, Marty, Vinny, Purcell, Malone) proven top6 forwards he may stay up in the line up. Malone-Stamkos-Purcell wasn't so bad either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
When I think of what Mikkelson was, he was a guy on the cusp that just needed a chance and he got that with us over calling up Barberio or Gudas. It will be interesting if contracts and limited icetime/sitting out games as the #7 or #8 dman play a factor again though for the kids still on entry level deals.

The lightning resigned Mikkelson because they liked what they saw and thought he could continue to improve, and I like Mikkelson too, but it's hard to judge. I haven't seen him play since last April while Gudas imo looked like the best defenseman on the Admirals during their playoff run, and has continued to look good this season. And the bolts would love to add what Barberio can bring too. It's been a year since Mikkelson was added to our team so I think it's possible one of the Crunch defenders battle for his spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Connolly would have to have one hell of a camp to make the big club. Don't see it happening.

No chance at Johnson this season.
I completely disagree. I don't think he has it locked up but I think he has a really good shot. BP made some interesting points on this in their lineup predictions write up. Because of the very short camp, lack of preseason games, and a short season that St. Louis says will "feel like doing a hundred-yard sprint without warming up" Boucher might pick guys who can pick up the system fast. Connolly has the advantage here. His familiarity with the system, chemistry with other players, and everything thing he did/learned in the NHL last year are something a lot of the other Crunch kids lack.

Aside from that he's been very good with the Crunch. Yzerman and Boucher have seen the Crunch play many many times so they know what's up there in Syracuse. He's been one of the players for them that consistently plays well each and every game. Besides having the points and confidence now, his all around game is much improved. I've watch a lot of Crunch games this season so I think he definitely has a real good shot.

As for Johnson, I'm not so sure. I guess it depends what they are looking for and what their plan of development is for Johnson. For me, he's been one of the best players for the Crunch all season long.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:49 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Conacher just has a better work ethic, and frankly, better scoring touch at this point.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:56 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Conacher just has a better work ethic, and frankly, better scoring touch at this point.
I think both can be debatable. I think Conacher wins in work ethic because his game is full hustle and he's had to work so hard to prevail and make it this far, but imo Connolly is also the better goal scorer. He's always been known to have a deadly shot, great hands, and a true finishers touch. But the difference for either one of them isn't enough to be real cut above the other so I don't think it really matters. They both work hard on and off the ice and they both can be good offensive players in the NHL.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:37 AM
DangleDoppler

I wonder how they're going to work out a training camp with relation to the Crunch schedule...Looks like they don't have many consecutive days off during the time when a training camp would take place. Which I would assume would mean only 2 or 3 players at the most come, right?

DangleDoppler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
He wasn't free to sign with anyone we owned his rights, he was resigned as a RFA and assigned to Syracuse. Paul Ranger let his RFA eligibility pass and then he was free to sign anywhere and thats why he was able to join the Marlies.

Mikkelson is ok for a bottom pair guy, he'll be on the team but he might be a healthy scratch most nights due to our D depth.
http://www.syracusecrunch.com/news/2...x?path=mhockey

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:27 AM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Quote:
I'm sure the Big Rancher enjoyed sticking in The Show and then had a great time after joining Norfolk last season but I wouldn't read into Aulie's decision much more than it being extremely pragmatic.

nhljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:52 AM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Also extremely unlikely Connolly is with the big club. He stays, along with Panik to assume bigger roles with Syracuse and when we have better options in place for Syracuse next season (namely Kucherov) to lose a forward to the big club, then they'll get another look.
The same can be said about pretty much every skill forward currently with the Crunch.

Quote:
The training camp, like the season, is going to be condensed and the organization, with Yzerman already noticeably spending more time than usual observing the Crunch in person, probably already has a strong idea of a) who they're bringing in and b) who's going to stick. I seriously doubt one week's worth of drills and scrimmages is going to change that.

Quote:
Conacher just has a better work ethic...
Anecdotal.

Quote:
...and frankly, better scoring touch at this point.
Except, statistically, that's not currently the case.

Certainly, there's much more to a player evaluation that stats but you seem to be letting personal preference guide your conclusions. Cory Conacher exploded onto the scene last season and got off to a hot start this season and that's great but he's had trouble finding the net, started pressing and was benched not too long ago for an entire period and continues to let his emotions override sensibility at times. Cooper's still got some work to do in reigning him in and keeping him focuses. Yes, he's fun to watch and you can't help but love that he's a smaller guy with the heart of a warrior but let's not pretend he hasn't had his own struggles.

After a slower start, Connolly has been rock solid for Syracuse, he's demonstrating his vision and hands, utilizing his size along the boards and moving to the high-traffic areas on a consistent basis. And, given his relative abundance of NHL seasoning, he's the logical choice to get the first crack to stick with the big club during an abbreviated season. That's not a knock against Conacher or anybody other forward in Syracuse, several of whom (Brown, Conacher, Killorn, Panik) are probably set going to be with the big club in the fall.

Last edited by nhljohnson: 01-07-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old
01-07-2013, 09:32 AM
zeykshade

I don't see Conacher making the team. He's a turnover machine.

edit: also love the comments about Conacher having more scoring touch etc. In calendar year 2012, Johnson is the more prolific scorer. Johnson definitely isn't nearly as feisty though.

Last edited by zeykshade: 01-07-2013 at 09:56 AM.
zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

Killorn may be an option there. At least the team has options for the spot. Conacher, Connolly, Brown, Killorn, Johnson are all solid options to come up and play to get some experience.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:17 AM
nhljohnson

Keep in mind, too, that we've got to keep in mind that the lockout, till this point, provided substantially more difficult competition than Conacher and Co. had to face last season.

From a production standpoint, Panik and Johnson have risen to the occasion and progressed while Conacher no longer looks like a wunderkind but rather one of many solid options available to the Bolts:

Panik:
11-12: 41 PTS in 64 GP = 0.68 PTS/GP
12-13: 28 PTS in 34 GP = 0.82 PTS/GP

Johnson:
11-12: 69 PTS in 75 GP = 0.90 PTS/GP
12-13: 35 PTS in 33 GP = 1.17 PTS/GP

Conacher
11-12: 80 PTS in 75 GP = 1.06 PTS/GP
12-13: 27 PTS in 34 GP = 0.79 PTS/GP

Connolly:
11-12: 15 PTS in 68 GP = 0.22 PTS/GP
12-13: 30 PTS in 33 GP = 0.91 PTS/GP

Obviously, we don't have a direct year-to-year comparison for Connolly since he played in the NHL last season but when you look at his usage (stints in and stretches outside the top-6, minimal PP time) and his extremely low 4.6 shooting % in 11-12, unless you truly believe his 11-12 season is more like his true talent level even when he's used as a key key offensive cog and his shooting % stabilizes (right now, it's a healthy 16.5% with the Crunch), there's no reason not to be bullish on him. Or at least want to see, if you're the Bolts brass, if your thoroughbred, who looks stronger and more confident than ever previously, is ready to run the big-track.

Last edited by nhljohnson: 01-07-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old
01-07-2013, 10:37 AM
zeykshade

Connolly has looked good, Killorn has looked better. A few weeks back Cooper threw Killorn on the Wyman/Angelidis grinding line. It's been a scoring line since.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Audio of Boucher's pc this am:

http://tblightning.tumblr.com/post/3...peaks-with-the

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote