HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Redskins Thread IV (Playoffs?!?! Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 06:48 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
Our OL totally fell apart when we had to pass. Exactly what I have always hated about the lighter weight more mobile OL. They just get blown up in standard pass protection, and teams built like that cant overcome 2 scores late. Hell we couldnt even shotgun snap and totally fell apart.

They way we are built, we have to run the ball. RG3 couldn't run, and Morris didnt get enough touches.

It seemed like we lost Garcon again which didnt help

Shanahan on the podium now

Old
01-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

vCash: 500

Old
01-06-2013, 06:50 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

So does Kornheiser call them chokingdogs?

Old
01-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Our OL totally fell apart when we had to pass. Exactly what I have always hated about the lighter weight more mobile OL. They just get blown up in standard pass protection, and teams built like that cant overcome 2 scores late. Hell we couldnt even shotgun snap and totally fell apart.

They way we are built, we have to run the ball. RG3 couldn't run, and Morris didnt get enough touches.

It seemed like we lost Garcon again which didnt help

Shanahan on the podium now
He knows he blew it here. He's saying it now. I cant blame his reasoning, per say...but its his job to be smarter than the emotional leader of the team (who just so happens to be 22).

Shanahan is going to be kicking himself for a long while over this one. No guarantees on whether Cousins does anything differently, but I do believe the Redskins would have scored at least a FG or another TD in the last 3 quarters.

The Seahawks were allowed to stack the line versus Morris...and Morris still was getting yards. But he wasnt getting the touches. I dont get that part, at all. Kyle totally screwed that one.

Only silver lining maybe is I think it shows that at 33, Kyle Shanahan is *NOT* ready to be an HC. No franchise is going to hand the keys to him after that performance. So at least the team's hierarchy should come back in full force next year-- assuming its a good thing.

Ah well, GREAT SEASON by the Redskins. I am very happy with the way they played, and the future is BRIGHT...assuming RG3 is not permanently hurt.

Still Good to be a Redskins fan right now.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

Beginning of day: Lockout over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Redskins why didn't you pull RG3!!!!!!!!!!!!Nooooooo...

I said it all game during the GDT in the NFL forum

They should have yanked him out once he got reaggravated

It was APPARENT for several subsequent drives that he was not there physically. It was apparent the offense sucked. The defense couldn't have contained Seattle forever. They had to put Cousins in as early as they could to warm him up and get him prepared. They didn't. It cost them the game. It might have cost RG3 his career. Period.

There was simply poor management all around this game. The outcome could have been so much more different with just one yank. The defense was doing what they could to hold them. What if it's 21-13? What if it's 24-13? It's a different damn story.

I'll always be haunted by the refusal to pull Griffin. I understand he was your star but he was not at 100%. No way he should have played through that, for as long as he did.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

The constant three and outs meant Seattle could grind down the defense, too.

01-06-2013, 07:19 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

In the second quarter I had a feeling we would see Cousins. I was split though, of how it would happen. Injury, or Shanahan finally recognizing he was hindered.

Mike did not blame those poor throws on a lack of plant foot and i tend to agree with him. Throwing 4 yards behind a WR over the middle is not a plant foot. He has been gimping along for 3 games now. He just couldn't run.... but we still seemed to run plays where he had to run.

When Cousins got in, i was hoping we would run the bootleg or something in his comfort zone. Our OL was falling apart and we stood him in the pocket.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:25 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Obviously disappointed in that loss. Seattle struggled on the road all year and the first part of the game indicated that trend would continue. Turning point to me was that fumble by the Seahawks that scooped up conveniently by the Seahawks for a first down. That just seemed ominous.

RGIII troubles go without saying. FWIW Dr. Andrews is the same doctor that performed Andrei Markov's second ACL surgery.

Redskins will be back next year. Good season, tough ending.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

http://twitter.com/BrittMcHenry/stat...95677781794816
"you respect authority and you respect coach shanahan but there was no way I was coming out of that game." --#rg3

Old
01-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Iggy Smalls

Did I mishear something on WUSA9's coverage of the presser, or was it said Dr. Andrews issued the "ok", again, for Griffin to remain playing in the playoff game? Something isn't right, especially given Andrews previous concerns over Griffin's status before the game was even played.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:46 PM
atomic

where is the ravens game day thread? Ray Lewis!!!!!

Old
01-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

Old
01-06-2013, 08:26 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Losing a playoff game means nothing to me. I didn't really expect them to win. What matters to me is watching them play RG3 well, WELL, beyond the point it was clear nothing could come of it but hurting the guy. This coaching duo just can't make it through a year without doing something impossibly stupid.
This.

I wanted RG3 out at 14-0 and watched in shock and horror as they continued to trot him out.

What a ****ing joke.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Beginning of day: Lockout over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Redskins why didn't you pull RG3!!!!!!!!!!!!Nooooooo...

I said it all game during the GDT in the NFL forum

They should have yanked him out once he got reaggravated

It was APPARENT for several subsequent drives that he was not there physically. It was apparent the offense sucked. The defense couldn't have contained Seattle forever. They had to put Cousins in as early as they could to warm him up and get him prepared. They didn't. It cost them the game. It might have cost RG3 his career. Period.

There was simply poor management all around this game. The outcome could have been so much more different with just one yank. The defense was doing what they could to hold them. What if it's 21-13? What if it's 24-13? It's a different damn story.

I'll always be haunted by the refusal to pull Griffin. I understand he was your star but he was not at 100%. No way he should have played through that, for as long as he did.
Bit of an exaggeration. He re-aggravated a sprained knee.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

He said might have. I agree. The possible payoff was nowhere close to justifying the risk associated with playing him.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:21 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Damn. I soo proud of this team. 3-6 into the bye then just exploded. I was at work so only caught parts of the game, but yeah, rg3 should've been relived by Cousins AT LEAST by the 4th quarter. that leg collapse looked nasty, hope he's ok. saying that. hell of a season.

Let me just leave this here..absolutely gave me goosebumps, I almost cried. I love this team. Robert and Morris are both something special.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:16 AM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

RG3 came across as I am Jesus to me in his presser saying he was the best option for the team to win. He had a fair amount of ugly passes that I am not ready to blame on his plant foot he insisted on playing on. He has to be able to throw if he insists on playing. He was unable to even finish his zone read runs. It just came across as a slap in the face of Cousins who appears a fine backup.

I have lost a little trust in III and Shanahan in their ability to gauge injuries. The Andrews thing going down, RG3 getting injured again, Shanahan post game clarifying that yes Andrews cleared him, it all just came across as amateur hour, and rather ironic how it all played out.

Kyle kicked ass and passed a lot to start the game and spotted us 14. RGIII got hurt and I was sure he would feed Morris on 1st and 2nd over and over, but it never happened. I know they probably dared us to pass but sometimes you just have to stick to what got you there, running Morris.

Garcon got injured, Hank dropped a ball, pocket pass pro failed, and we couldn't even get a first down. It all culminated in the failing to be able to shotgun snap, to close out the year.

RGIII finished with 84 yards passing. Wow that was a colossal offensive collapse from a very strong offensive team.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-07-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old
01-07-2013, 07:22 AM
BobRouse

Yeah Shanahan squared botched it.

If RGIII didnt get hurt we would have rolled. But he did and he could not plant on that foot and couldn't drive the ball when he threw.

Great season and they will rebound next year.

Also on the interception I thought it was clear PI that prevented Garcon from breaking up that pass. Probably wouldn't have mattered tho.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:41 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
I look at Griffins post game comments as a sign of immaturity. That he was the best option, blah, blah, blah is Griffin feeding into the press and hype surrounding him. Hopefully in the future the kid will learn to put the team ahead of his pride. We will see.

As for Shanahan taking Griffins word and going with it, well he learned moving forward he can't solely count on Griffins word on Griffins health. We can all say Shanahan should of known better, but in the heat of the moment he stuck with his #1 guy. Live by the sword die by the sword.

After a good night sleep I don't think it would of matter when Cousins came in after Griffin tweaked his knee in the 1st. The Seahawks D would of shut down whatever offense Cousins would of directed on limited practice in the week leading up to the game. Cousins practicing all week with a game plan catered to him, possible. But not taking over in the middle of the game. The Seahawks D is to good.

And that was the difference last night. The Seahawks D shutting down a handcuffed Skins offense allowing Wilson and Lynch to wear down a Skins D that isn't good enough to protect a 14 point lead. Frustrating as hell, but inevitable.

Offseason needs to revolve around upgrading the defense, primarily the secondary and maybe replacing Fletcher, and shoring up the O-line, primarily replacing Polumbus. Doable.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:45 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Went about the way I expected.

No problem with leaving RGIII in...as Cousins would have been destroyed.

The problem I had was not running Morris more...but Seattle would have shut that down as well.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:03 AM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

I am not convinced the best of run defenses can stop the Shanahan run game. He designs his entire OL based on mobile run blocking because it cannot be stopped. It creates running backs.

The latest great back born in the system is Al Morris. Despite his greatness, just last year Hightower Hulu and Royster also looked great in this system. Even Torain looked unstoppable not too long ago.

His teams are simply not built to pass first yet Kyle pulled it off in the first quarter. Up 14 RGIII struggling to run, and maybe having problems passing, it was time for a heavy dose of Morris. He did hit his hand on a helmet following through on a pass.

Up 14-3, we came out passing on first down. Sacked, and fumbled. It only got worse from there. I just feel like we stopped running Morris as much as Seattle did.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:49 AM
marcel snapshot

So RGIII said of that 9 yard run to the sideline in the 2nd half that was more of a gimpy shuffle on one leg that "Mike asked me if I could run. . ."

Really? You're Mike Shanahan and you can't see that there's no fuggin way he could run -- when it was obvious after the 1st quarter that he couldn't run or plant on that leg. You call a designed run for the franchise QB in that circumstance? That's the play that blew my mind.

Sure, it sorta worked - but was it really worth the risk of getting his knee completely and unalterably blown up, which a clean tackle from a Seattle LB could have accomplished there. RGIII had an angel watching his back on that play - who knows what Shanahan was thinking.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:32 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
It was a read/option play. Griffin read the defense and his best option was to run. Just so happens he got 9 yards on it. If Griffin is playing you run that play to keep the defense honest. If not then the defense starts to blitz on every play.

I am also dumbfounded baby Shanny stopped running Morris. I kept yelling that in the 3rd and that led to an argument with my father. To plead my case I looked up Morris stats to that point:

14 rushes for 72 yards. That's a little over 5 yards a carry.

Hard to tell what the Seahawks D was doing on the network feed to dissuade baby Shanny not to run, but I would of preferred running, but it must have been significant based on how Baby Shanny called the Crackboys game the week before.

In the end yesterday was a learning experience for the players and coaches. It was Baby Shannys 1st playoff game calling plays as well. Hopefully the bitter taste in the teams mouth and lessons learned will lead to success next year and years to come.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:58 AM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

Kyle actually opened the game as i wanted, with some passing in obvious run downs. In my mind, Seattle would be over keyed on Morris and it should work. And it did, much better than I thought. Once they adjusted to that, up 14 or regardless, it was time for Morris on 1st and 2nd down, over and over. But Kyle largely stuck to his game plan, even though we couldn't pass for jack ****.

I was also hoping for some plays to take advantage of their aggressiveness, a pipe dream. A flea flicker, double reverse, something more than Morris sweep, zone read or Garcon slant.

We didnt run a fake FG or Punt, nor surprise onside, all year. No hurry up, really?

Next preseason I would like to see Mike call all those plays he knows they will never use so teams at least game plan for it, at least in the first few games.

And for the love of the game, get RG3 a working ****ing helmet speaker, or just script the ****ing 2nd play of the game, and not make a zone read a top secret from your own players. Even Cousins was struggling to hear plays.

Edit: I wonder if Trent Williams has every been on skates before. Seeing him take a swipe at one of the roided seagulls makes me think he the Caps could use him in our next game versus Philly.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-07-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old
01-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Cush
-inator

Rumors are that RG3 could be out until 2014

Closed Thread