HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 Oilers Preview (Season Starts In Van on Jan. 20th)

Old
01-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
I agree with you on peckham. But i still think whitney can be a very solid dman for us he had a bad year last year and a ton of injuries issues but if healthy i think he can be a good top 4 dman for us. Remember back before all the injury issues whitney was playing very well in both zones
Again tbh I think I just detest him after the lockout. Its two pronged, his last season and general disinterest, and his behavior and comments during this lockout.

He's exactly the kind of NHL player I despise. Makes it harder to cheer for.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:31 PM
40oz

Chicago and Buffalo have a lot of money tied up, but have depth to spare on their backends. I wouldn't be surprised if they were looking to unload some of that burden. Both have some nice blueline prospects playing pro (CHI:Olsen, Clendening, Lalonde | BUF: Pysyk, McNabb) that could handle some call ups.

Chicago isn't going to trade Keith (5.5) or Seabrook (5.8), guys like Oduya (3.4), Leddy (1.1) and Hjalmarsson (3.5) will have a pretty steep price too.
But Montador (2.75), Rosival (2.0), Brookbank (1.25) should come cheep and could be nice depth additions.

Buffalo has Myers (5.5), Ehrhoff (4.0), Regehr (4.0), Leopold (3.0), Sekera (2.75), Pardy (2.0), plus Weber, Brennan and Sulzer signed for less than a million each.

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:33 PM
nvan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Again tbh I think I just detest him after the lockout. Its two pronged, his last season and general disinterest, and his behavior and comments during this lockout.

He's exactly the kind of NHL player I despise. Makes it harder to cheer for.
I detest Crosby because of some of the things he said during the lockout too. Doesn't mean he isn't an nhler anymore.

nvan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:36 PM
nvan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Chicago and Buffalo have a lot of money tied up, but have depth to spare on their backends. I wouldn't be surprised if they were looking to unload some of that burden. Both have some nice blueline prospects playing pro (CHI:Olsen, Clendening, Lalonde | BUF: Pysyk, McNabb) that could handle some call ups.

Chicago isn't going to trade Keith (5.5) or Seabrook (5.8), guys like Oduya (3.4), Leddy (1.1) and Hjalmarsson (3.5) will have a pretty steep price too.
But Montador (2.75), Rosival (2.0), Brookbank (1.25) should come cheep and could be nice depth additions.

Buffalo has Myers (5.5), Ehrhoff (4.0), Regehr (4.0), Leopold (3.0), Sekera (2.75), Pardy (2.0), plus Weber, Brennan and Sulzer signed for less than a million each.
I have a feeling that seabrook might be available. Those other guys don't make a real dent in a teams cap problems. Getting rid of a 2 million guy just to replace him with a 1 million isn't all that helpful.

nvan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:38 PM
H4LL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Not to be a wet blanket, but I look at that bottom 6, and can't think of many teams that could out-suck them. Maybe Krueger's new attack system will be beneficial, but on paper, and given their performances last year, I see that bottom six undoing alot of what the top six accomplishes throughout any particular game.
THIS. We have a ton of plugs in the bottom six. I know everybody loves a good plug but this may turn comical. Plenty of room for error within that group. I hope each player fills a roll and rebounds but that's wishful thinking. I fear for what we've seen in OKC happening here, where the stars of this team excel but there's a lack of consistent secondary scoring and veteran leadership that produces wins. The older players on this team need to step up. Half a season type schedule might be good for these guys, we all saw how well Smyth did at the beginning of last year. Should be a very interesting and exciting team to watch. So pumped for the season to start.

Last edited by H4LL: 01-06-2013 at 03:45 PM.
H4LL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post

Leopold might be available and I think he'd be a pretty decent addition. Not physical, but plays 20 mins/night fairly well. They've said last season they wanted to cut down on salary too. They also have an abundance on NHL ready D. McNabb and Brennan for example. With Myers, Regher and Ehrhoff still on the team, they won't lack the veteran presence.

For us, it would add a second pairing vet we could use. Not physical, but good enough defensively to do the job for us.

Smid-Petry
Whitney-Schultz
Leopold-Schultz

Pretty solid top-6 defensively imo.

01-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

It wont happen, but to start, id like to see guys like Eager and Belanger get conditioning time in OKC, and have the Nordic trio up since theyre fresh and have some chemistry together.

Smyth - Hopkins - Eberle
Hall - Gagner - Hemsky
Jones - Horcoff - Yakupov
Hartikainen - Lander - Paajarvi
Petrell - Hordichuk

Smid - Petry
N. Schultz - J. Schultz
Whitney - Peckham

Dubnyk

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Everlasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Hall-NUG-Eberle
Hemsky-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Lander-Jones
Hartikanen-Horcoff-Eager

I will consider anything better than 25th spot to be a sucess. Since this is a short season, i belive they should focus on giving the young players more experience, and expirment a little. Therfore, Lander > Belanger. Belanger is a very good and experienced player, but the Oilers are not a playoff team. Therefore, they can sacriface that experience. Besides, Lander is fantastic too. So thats my reasoning.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:53 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Jones has an eye injury? Harti on 3rd line?

Maybe Jones plays 4th when he comes back if Harti sticks.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

Did Tambo just mention that he doesn't know the status of Yak?

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
I will consider anything better than 25th spot to be a sucess. Since this is a short season, i belive they should focus on giving the young players more experience, and expirment a little. Therfore, Lander > Belanger. Belanger is a very good and experienced player, but the Oilers are not a playoff team. Therefore, they can sacriface that experience. Besides, Lander is fantastic too. So thats my reasoning.
Anything better than 25th is a success? They have to be quite a bit better than that to call it a success. The best players for the Oilers have been crushing the AHL all season, where players on other teams haven't been playing or are just playing on random teams in Europe. For the first 1/3 of the season the Oilers should be skating circles around some of the other teams and have to at least get into playoff contention.

Insta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Oilers Twitter says he's expected to attend training camp.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Everlasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Anything better than 25th is a success? They have to be quite a bit better than that to call it a success. The best players for the Oilers have been crushing the AHL all season, where players on other teams haven't been playing or are just playing on random teams in Europe. For the first 1/3 of the season the Oilers should be skating circles around some of the other teams and have to at least get into playoff contention.
Not at all. I'd say that you are more of a dreamer But they are good dreams, just dont expect too much. How have the Oilers done the last 3 seasons? 30th, 30th and 29th? And now they should be get into the playoff contention? Nah. It is too early, but who knows, its a short season this time, and with many of the players playing on diffrent teams/leagues etc. This season could have some crazy result.
Just becuse the top players (who are very young and still dont have that much experience) are doing great in AHL does not mean a thing. The oilers are a team. Not 1 and a ½ line.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
They required being together as a unit all the time and as soon as separated that efficacy changed on a dime.

jebus put two World number one drafts, a 75pt NHL player, and the Top offseason D prospect together in a unit and they should be shooting the lights out. That said they contributed to a club that was 1 game over .500 at the AHL level which should be sobering if anything.

I would argue the Oilers supporting cast is no better than the barons supporting cast relative to the leagues they are playing in.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:19 PM
SDig14

Quote:
I think he just meant he doesn't know the status as in where is at the moment, i.e. whether he is flying now or whether he is still in Russia.

Sounds as though camp won't be starting before Wednesday anyways, so lots of time for everyone to get here and get ready to go.

SDig14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:26 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Am I the only one that thinks that 2nd line needs Harski's grit and that it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if one of Yak or Hemsky start on the 3rd line? Hemsky's most productive year has been with Horcoff or having Yak on the 3rd line takes the rookie pressure off of needing elite offensive production from Day 1
Hall-RNH-Eberle
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky (hard minutes, if they can handle them)
Hartikainen-Gagner-Yakupov (soft minutes)
eager-Belanger-Jones/Petrell
Hordichuk

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Bergeron47

With Jones' eye injury, cue the 'Lose Yourself' song to Hartikainen.

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:42 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

I'm a little confused about the logistics of an NHL training camp. How will guys like Paajarvi, Harti, etc come and try out when they are playing in the AHL?

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Ek het lief Woef
Denver Broncos

vCash: 50
Quote:
They required being together as a unit all the time and as soon as separated that efficacy changed on a dime.

jebus put two World number one drafts, a 75pt NHL player, and the Top offseason D prospect together in a unit and they should be shooting the lights out. That said they contributed to a club that was 1 game over .500 at the AHL level which should be sobering if anything.

I would argue the Oilers supporting cast is no better than the barons supporting cast relative to the leagues they are playing in.
I couldn't be bothered to watch any AHL games but that's a concern.

If Hall/Eberle/RNH can't produce apart from each-other then that lack of versatility is disappointing.

Ek het lief Woef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

Quote:

I would assume that adding Yak to the mix could buffer the affect of splitting them up.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:16 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
I'm a little confused about the logistics of an NHL training camp. How will guys like Paajarvi, Harti, etc come and try out when they are playing in the AHL?
They may not get invited. They're only brining about 25 guys

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Kayen
Fire Eakins

vCash: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
With Jones' eye injury, cue the 'Lose Yourself' song to Hartikainen.
Haha, that's a beautiful quote. He better get those lyrics hammered in.

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

I'm probably looking way too hard into this, but.... It seems like Tambo never talks about Yakupov in his interviews.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:58 PM
#ualberta

Delete.

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:59 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
I'm probably looking way too hard into this, but.... It seems like Tambo never talks about Yakupov in his interviews.
I'm not worried about it.
@EdmontonOilers: Some fan question follow-ups: Yakupov is expected to attend #Oilers camp ... Jones suffered an eye injury, had surgery, out a few weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
They will not all be invited
@EdmontonOilers: GM Tambellini projects 15 forwards, 8 defencemen and 2 goalies at #Oilers camp, not including Sutton and Jones who are currently injured

402 is offline   Reply With Quote