HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Grand Rapids Griffins 2012-13 ‎- Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Harnessed in Slums

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by probertrules24 View Post
I'm more and more impressed with Tatar each time I get a chance to watch him. He looks to becoming a more complete player. He looks very confident out there. I think in some of our rankings he's a little underrated.
I've always been a bit less impressed with him than many of his most ardent supporters but I had him ranked #2 behind Calle. I'd like to see him get some IT in Detroit to see how he looks.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Gorgeous George

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
I think Smith and Nyquist are gone but Tatar only gets call up duty semi frequently.

Tatar Sheahan and Ferraro may become the top line or something
What are the chances Jurco gets more pp time and TOI with the departure of Nyquist?

Old
01-06-2013, 12:53 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgeous George View Post
What are the chances Jurco gets more pp time and TOI with the departure of Nyquist?
Tatar, Andersson, Pare, Ferraro, Sheahan.. should all have PP time among forwards. Then there's Hoggan and Jurco fighting for the last regular spot I imagine, Glendening certainly making a case right now aswell. But it's possible they'll play one of the PP units with 4 forwards with Smith gone, and in that case Jurco should be a lock. The D's sure to get PP time are Almqvist, Billins and Paetsch. Last point spot could be Lashoff, could be a forward.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:33 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Its really good to see that Sheahan is playing well. He is the type of player Detroit could really use in the near future.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:16 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Smith not playing today but Nyquist is. Potential bad sign for his chances in Detroit this year?

Smith left or is leaving today.

Last edited by The Nose: 01-06-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old
01-06-2013, 03:53 PM
probertrules24
Down with the Bruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
Smith not playing today but Nyquist is. Potential bad sign for his chances in Detroit this year?

Could be a short term move to give them time to free up a roster spot. Maybe LTIR doesn't start until the season begins and we will be over.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post

I think it's just a sign that Smith is a lock and Nyquist still has to play his way onto the team.

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, and Andersson will be in camp here in a few days. I wonder what the Griffins will look like at that point.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:48 PM
joe89

Mrazek just had four opportunities to win the game in SO. Tough loss.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:50 PM
ChadS

Wow Mrazek just fell apart in the SO. 2-3 good ones to start but then 4(?) in a row high glove slide...

They also lost a 2-0 lead.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:51 PM
MBauer

Mrazek was awful in the shootout today.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:00 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
I think it's just a sign that Smith is a lock and Nyquist still has to play his way onto the team.

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, and Andersson will be in camp here in a few days. I wonder what the Griffins will look like at that point.
I really woldnt be surprised to see Sheahan get some NHL playing time this season actually.

Detroit needs to clear some junk from the bottom 6. Hopefully teams will be looking for cheap NHL players and Detroit can accumulate some 4-5th round picks

Old
01-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBauer View Post
Mrazek was awful in the shootout today.
Managed to be the second star somehow, though.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:30 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
Managed to be the second star somehow, though.
A bit on the generous side for this particular game.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:38 PM
TNigs

I think they took Smith out because Colaiacovo just got hurt, and the D isn't the strongest or deep as it could be. Nyquist has to make this team from the get go. Who would pick Samuelsson over Nyquist?

When Brunner plays fro the wings I say he keeps his yellow helmet and "Top Scorer" jersey from back home.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:51 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNigs View Post
I think they took Smith out because Colaiacovo just got hurt, and the D isn't the strongest or deep as it could be. Nyquist has to make this team from the get go. Who would pick Samuelsson over Nyquist?

When Brunner plays fro the wings I say he keeps his yellow helmet and "Top Scorer" jersey from back home.
Well technically the open spots on the team will be between Brunner, Nyquist, Tatar, Emmerton, Mursak, Miller. Six guys battling for four spots. Nyquist, Brunner and Tatar will either make the top12 or not make the roster, though. Maybe an outside chance they would carry Brunner as a 13th forward.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Well technically the open spots on the team will be between Brunner, Nyquist, Tatar, Emmerton, Mursak, Miller. Six guys battling for four spots. Nyquist, Brunner and Tatar will either make the top12 or not make the roster, though. Maybe an outside chance they would carry Brunner as a 13th forward.
Babcock has already promised Brunner would start in the top 6 with Zetterberg

Old
01-06-2013, 07:13 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Babcock has already promised Brunner would start in the top 6 with Zetterberg
But Holland is the one who has to manage the assets ;-)

Old
01-06-2013, 10:19 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Got to see the boys play in person tonight, a little disappointed no Smith, but hey we have NHL hockey back and that is the important part. Still was very excited to watch him so that was kind of personal let down albeit because of good news.

Pare and Andersson were out, Nestrasil was out in the warmups but scratched.

Mrazek - Couldn't do much about the first goal, beautiful passing play by the Admirals. He got beat on a jam play where I would have liked a poke check but oh well on the second goal. Not really his fault those kind of plays will happen and Glendening got outmuscled. Looked great at the start of the shootout, but then the wheels fell off. He became smaller in the net after the first two goals which really were incredible shots off the pipe and in. Hope that doesn't stick with him, played pretty well until that point. Has a very fast glove in play until the shootout and exceptional movement from side to side. You can see it on tv but in person how quickly he slides and squares up is impressive. Aggressive and gets out on the top of his crease with a quick push. One of the best goalie prospects I have seen in a long time, has a confidence to him that will help him in the long run. Watches all the goals on the jumbotron to see what he did wrong then dusts it off. Very angry when he left the ice and during the shootout, firing the pucks out of his net all the way to the other end.

Almqvist - An awesome passer, he has a great feel for the puck. Makes hard passes but is impressive at keeping the zone and taking things off when he needs to. Really good hockey IQ and stick, impressive performance. Just and average skater and can get outmuscled in corners and on the boards.

Lashoff - Really improved from the last time I saw him. Big body, but solid stay at home, skates pretty well, has a hard shot. Still not sure if he is just a AHL Captain for most of his career or a six/seventh D-man at the NHL level. Got caught hustling himself out of his postion on a couple of occasions on the PK tonight.

Billins - Good skater, keeps his head up a lot. Does well considering his size in the corners. Crisp passer, but his shot is ridiculously weak, he needs to improve that a bunch if he is truly going to be a PP qb beyond this level.

Fournier - Solid skater, active stick. Didn't do a whole lot I didn't like, but didn't do a whole lot to stand out either. Would prefer they play Nicastro.

Nyquist - Best player I have seen in the AHL this year in person. So slippery, great hands and awesome vision. Exceptionl puck pursuit and makes entries easy and exits the zone just as easily when the puck finds him on defense. Gus is a stud, a top 6 NHL player right now. The game comes to him and he sees things before the other guys on the ice.

Tatar - He has gotten a lot bigger. Stronger player and really backchecks now. Good in all zones and very active. Hard shot, very good passer, he is NHL ready in my opinion, but probably not top 6 ready for a little longer.

Sheahan - He might have lost board battles tonight, but I don't really remember them. He comes up with the puck almost everytime. Really impressive speed and positional play. Hard shot and good passer. Could be a little more physical but came away the second most impressed with him behind Nyquist in this game. Riley is a very good player and already close to NHL ready if he isn't already.

Ferraro - One of the best skaters on the ice. You can see his confidence right now, comfortable with the puck on his stick and a quick hard shot. It gets going high in a hurry, you can see why he was an early second round pick. Tons of offensive talent, but his energy is really fun to watch.

Callahan - Had a good game. Found it funny, the couple times Jurco was out there without him tonight he was targeted for shoving, not when Mitch was on the ice for the most part. He forechecks hard and seems to be gaining the trust of Blashill playing in some good situations tonight. Helps break the defensive zone pretty easily, better speed than I thought he would have.

Aubry - Man he is a big kid and isn't close to filling out. Doesn't look all that comfortable on the puck. He finishes checks and uses that long wingspan to disrupt passing lanes and frustrate d-man on the forecheck. Not as good as I thought he was last year, seems to be very low on confidence.

Parkes - He is a big guy and a powerful skater. Has a pretty good shot although predictable to the point of being blocked frequently. He also is decent at breaking the zone by himself and the cycle. We will see but he might be able to make a fourth line in the NHL.

Jurco - Probably the most disappointing Griffin tonight. Jurco floats a lot, makes some curious decisions when he has the puck. And looks like he outright hates playing in the corners at times. Probably most alarming is his speed does't look all that good. He glides more than moving his feet and could use a better first step. You see it occasionally but not consistently and I think he could use some power skating and better edge work. His hands are very good and his shot when he makes the choice to take it, comes off quick and hard. Just seems to be struggling with the pro game a little bit, looks like he is thinking a lot and not just playing full tilt during most of his shifts.

Glendening - Lost his guy or more appropriately got outmuscled for the second goal. Other than that a pretty impressive night and that first thing is going to happen to any player form time to time. Skates hard, uses his linemates and loves to forecheck. Seems to have a good hockey IQ, I could really see him making the show even though he was a free agent. He does a lot of the little things and he is a very hard worker, just a real 100% guy.

Without Smith there is a missing element on their backline. They are not nearly as scary and you could see Milwaukee gained some confidence they could push in a little deeper. It will be interesting to see what they do now. The PP where he breaks the zone a lot looked pretty bad at times tonight.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:17 AM
newfy

I think its worth pointing out that Callahan is really stepping up his game big time. He isnt a point producing machine by any means and never will be but is becoming an awesome grinder. His role with the team has expanded a tonne this season and hes looking more like an NHL fourth liner.

Hes cut down on the bad penalties, hes getting regular PK minutes, playing on the third line 5 on 5 and has even gotten to play in OT the last couple of games. His defensive game is really starting to show and he is being trusted out there. Really looks like a future agitator and scrappy fourth liner for the wings who can PK, hit and fight.

I also am liking Glendening. Hes only 5'11 but is 200 lbs, pretty stocky. Plays a physical game and goes hard on the forecheck but has a pretty awesome defensive game. He could also be an NHL fourth liner, will be interesting to watch him develop

Old
01-07-2013, 10:36 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Fournier - Solid skater, active stick. Didn't do a whole lot I didn't like, but didn't do a whole lot to stand out either. Would prefer they play Nicastro.
Nicastro called up, so Fournier will likely see the press box going forward.

I like Glendening over all of Raedeke, Parkes, Coetzee and Nestrasil. Seems like his spot to lose.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:33 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Nyquist - Best player I have seen in the AHL this year in person. So slippery, great hands and awesome vision. Exceptionl puck pursuit and makes entries easy and exits the zone just as easily when the puck finds him on defense. Gus is a stud, a top 6 NHL player right now. The game comes to him and he sees things before the other guys on the ice.
I have a feeling that he shouldn't get too comfortable as he tries out for the Wings team. With all the forwards they have in Detroit I wouldn't be surprised to see him sent back down to GR, unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong. Sigh...

Old
01-07-2013, 01:40 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Report..
Thanks for this, nice read.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:29 AM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Good breakdown...
For whatever reason I feel like responding to your breakdown with my own... not to overshadow yours, just want to give my unnecessary opinion.

*Please remember that this is my first season watching any of the Wings prospects in any fashion, so feel free to add anything or explain why I might be wrong about someone.*

Mrazek - Kid a gamer, and is going to push whoever's in front of him HARD. Makes huge saves and has dynamite reactions, but could use some baking in the "positional" oven. I think the Wings would be out of their minds to trade him for anyone short of a star player.

Almqvist - I'm not seeing what you're seeing, apparently. There are some flashes of potential, but he is DEFINITELY too weak on and off the puck, and seems to buckle a bit under pressure. Once he gets in the offensive zone things get a little better, but he may be more suited to the wide-open European style.

Lashoff - Aside from Nyquist, Tatar, and Mrazek, by far my favorite Griffin. Looks to me like he could shore up an NHL even strength 2nd pairing and be a force on the PK a la Brad Stuart in the near future. Poised under pressure, great positionally, physical in the corners and in front of the net (watch him give guys the business in front of Mrazek/McCollum next game), heavy shot from the point (that seems to make it through), and a good passer. While he isn't the fastest guy out there and still makes some iffy turnovers, in my opinion the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Billins - Dude, what? Smallish, undrafted, puck-moving defenseman who plays both ends of the ice really well... who does that remind you of? Despite his size, he actually plays a pretty decent physical game, and his offensive talent is unquestionable. Could easily replace Ian White if/when needed, and barring some major setbacks, I think the Wings should call this guy up sooner rather than later.

Fournier - Seemed to get caught out of position a couple of times, but like you said, didn't do a whole lot either way -- in his defense, however, he hasn't played much so far this year, so it's hard to pass judgement. With Smith headed up and Lashoff likely to be the next call-up, it'll be interesting to see how Nicastro and Fournier use the opportunities.

Nyquist - NHL ready for sure. Seems like a good mix between the skillsets of Datsyuk and Zetterberg, with good puck control/pursuit skills, great skating, some slick passing, and the ability to take it to the net when needed. Can't wait to see how his game translates to the NHL on a full-time basis.

Tatar - NHL ready as well. If Hudler was "Happy," Tatar has to be "Angry," and as much of a Hudler fan as I was/am, Tatar is Hudler with a mean(er) streak and much better skating. Skills out the yang, gritty, and speedy. Love watching him play, and is my new favorite small, European forward.

Sheahan - I like Riley, but I think his ceiling is limited as far as the NHL goes -- more of a 3rd or 4th line center. He's got skill, tenacity, quickness, and can play the body; however, he still seems a little timid out there, and needs a little more seasoning before he's ready for the next step. A year or two in Grand Rapids should be good for him.

Ferraro - I went into this season not expecting to see much out of him, but wow, has he been exciting to watch. Definitely has the chops to be a grinder in the NHL; wouldn't a line of Ferraro, Helm, and Glendening (assuming he keeps progressing) be a dynamite energy line? Better yet, a PK duo of Helm and Ferraro? Cripes man.

Callahan - I really can't see why people are so high on him, frankly. Sure he's willing to fight, but he really seems like just your average, 4th line mucker out there. There have been a few occasions where he's made a good power move toward the net or a sharp pass, but otherwise I just don't see anything special.

Aubry - Agree with your assessment here. Looks very uncomfortable on the ice, but there seems to be something there lurking under the surface. Hopefully another season or two will bring his game out and turn him into a decent power forward.

Parkes - He's working hard to stay in the lineup, and hopefully it pays off. Looks like he has some skill and quickness to go along with the size, and I'm eager to see what he can do moving forward.

Jurco - I agree with the disappointment sentiment. He definitely has the skill, speed, and size to make it to the NHL, it just looks like something's missing when he's on the ice. I'd like to chalk it up to adjusting to the pro game... though, barring a massive turnaround, I can definitely see him returning to Europe in the near future.

Glendening - Another good grinder, and could be a future Wing in the mold of Maltby and work well with Ferraro and Helm on an energy line. Definitely a hard worker, and that gets you farther that pure skill a lot of the time. Interested to see what he does in the next couple of seasons.

Someone said it earlier, and I agree that Pare gets a bum rap. He's logged his time with the Griffins and is among the all-time leaders in several categories, but has never gotten a shot with the Wings. Why is that? He's a speedy, skilled, goal scorer and would probably put up decent numbers on a scoring line.

Andersson is a bit of an enigma to me; I can't tell if he'll do just as well without Nyquist and/or Tatar as he does with them. He certainly has the tools to do good things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
I have a feeling that he shouldn't get too comfortable as he tries out for the Wings team. With all the forwards they have in Detroit I wouldn't be surprised to see him sent back down to GR, unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong. Sigh...
It may just be better for him and the Griffins to leave him down there for the rest of the year. I wouldn't take it as a knock against him in any way, and more-so giving him ample playing time (and probably playoff experience) due to the excess of forwards the Wings have currently. Next season will be much better with some contracts expiring and amnesty buyouts kicking in.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
Mrazek - Kid a gamer, and is going to push whoever's in front of him HARD. Makes huge saves and has dynamite reactions, but could use some baking in the "positional" oven. I think the Wings would be out of their minds to trade him for anyone short of a star player.
Yeah, totally agree. If we trade somebody, I hope it will be McCollum.

Quote:
Almqvist - I'm not seeing what you're seeing, apparently. There are some flashes of potential, but he is DEFINITELY too weak on and off the puck, and seems to buckle a bit under pressure. Once he gets in the offensive zone things get a little better, but he may be more suited to the wide-open European style.

Lashoff - Aside from Nyquist, Tatar, and Mrazek, by far my favorite Griffin. Looks to me like he could shore up an NHL even strength 2nd pairing and be a force on the PK a la Brad Stuart in the near future. Poised under pressure, great positionally, physical in the corners and in front of the net (watch him give guys the business in front of Mrazek/McCollum next game), heavy shot from the point (that seems to make it through), and a good passer. While he isn't the fastest guy out there and still makes some iffy turnovers, in my opinion the positives far outweigh the negatives.
So you think Lashoff is the key part in this pairing, more than Almqvist? I really really hope we have this home-grown "Brad Stuart" waiting for his call-up.

Quote:
Billins - Dude, what? Smallish, undrafted, puck-moving defenseman who plays both ends of the ice really well... who does that remind you of? Despite his size, he actually plays a pretty decent physical game, and his offensive talent is unquestionable. Could easily replace Ian White if/when needed, and barring some major setbacks, I think the Wings should call this guy up sooner rather than later.
I would be pretty high about him as next "Rafalski", if he would have the right handness, but being a small lefty isn't a tool that will probably ever fit to our team.

Quote:
Fournier - Seemed to get caught out of position a couple of times, but like you said, didn't do a whole lot either way -- in his defense, however, he hasn't played much so far this year, so it's hard to pass judgement. With Smith headed up and Lashoff likely to be the next call-up, it'll be interesting to see how Nicastro and Fournier use the opportunities.
Nicastro as a right-handed and a physical player has a higher probability to fit our needs. Fournier is what, good skater, but nothing else? I don't mind if he does well, but I just hope more that Nicastro will pan out.

Quote:
Aubry - Agree with your assessment here. Looks very uncomfortable on the ice, but there seems to be something there lurking under the surface. Hopefully another season or two will bring his game out and turn him into a decent power forward.
I would just happy for our own "Gaustad". Wins the defensive zone facoffs with 60% and that's it. Kills penalties, is a big strong body to play against and exhausts opponents.

Quote:
Andersson is a bit of an enigma to me; I can't tell if he'll do just as well without Nyquist and/or Tatar as he does with them. He certainly has the tools to do good things...

It may just be better for him and the Griffins to leave him down there for the rest of the year. I wouldn't take it as a knock against him in any way, and more-so giving him ample playing time (and probably playoff experience) due to the excess of forwards the Wings have currently. Next season will be much better with some contracts expiring and amnesty buyouts kicking in.
I see him as a good depth player for the 4th line. He is great defensively and fits to 4th line center spot thousands of times better than Emmerton. Let's see where does he fit at 2013-14 season. He kind of fights his future against Aubry.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:31 AM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Yeah, totally agree. If we trade somebody, I hope it will be McCollum.
Barring more goalie prospects coming in (I've not seen Paterson play at all) and McCollum reverting to his old self, I don't think they'll get rid of him quite yet. Maybe all he needed was Mrazek to push him... we'll just have to see.

Quote:
So you think Lashoff is the key part in this pairing, more than Almqvist? I really really hope we have this home-grown "Brad Stuart" waiting for his call-up.
Honestly, I do. The reason I think Lashoff gets caught out of position occasionally is because he's trying to do too much to cover for Almqvist. Now, I'm not saying Almqvist is a bust or terrible or anything, but he definitely needs to grow into the game a little more; Lashoff's broken up more than several odd-man rushes this season.

Quote:
I would be pretty high about him as next "Rafalski", if he would have the right handness, but being a small lefty isn't a tool that will probably ever fit to our team.
Eh, you never know. Maybe there's another right-hander that can play the point along-side him further down the pipe, but given the amount of ability Billins has, I wouldn't count him out just because he's a lefty.

Quote:
Nicastro as a right-handed and a physical player has a higher probability to fit our needs. Fournier is what, good skater, but nothing else? I don't mind if he does well, but I just hope more that Nicastro will pan out.
I haven't seen enough of Nicastro or Fournier, but just by going from the stat lines I'd rather have a Nicastro than Fournier. Sproul will be an interesting option when he gets here as well.

Quote:
I would just happy for our own "Gaustad". Wins the defensive zone facoffs with 60% and that's it. Kills penalties, is a big strong body to play against and exhausts opponents.
Sheahan needs to become a little more assertive and use that size on the forecheck, but a solid, two-way grinder with some finishing skills looks like a good bet. I wish the AHL tracked faceoff stats...

Quote:
I see him as a good depth player for the 4th line. He is great defensively and fits to 4th line center spot thousands of times better than Emmerton. Let's see where does he fit at 2013-14 season. He kind of fights his future against Aubry.
Unfortunately, that's what the Wings have a whole lot of -- depth players. Andersson's shown flashes of skill, and playing with Tatar and Nyquist has undoubtedly benefited him; it's possible his ceiling is a little higher than the 4th line, but it may not be with Detroit.

Closed Thread