HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Luongo Thread - "Make it stop, make it stop!"

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 07:21 PM
keslerburrows

vCash: 500
I've always liked Weiss a lot. And if I am remembering correctly, didn't him and Booth have great chemistry?

Old
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
All I know is that there are gonna a lot posters freaking out after the Luongo trade goes down. Realistically there are gonna be fans that are not gonna like the return at all and others that will think it's good and will work out. It's gonna be entertaining.

Some fans are underrating Bozak, he'd be a solid pickup IMO.
He'd be an alright piece but there better be some way better pieces if he's the main piece.

Old
Bieksallent

Bozak is fine for a team who has Max Lapierre as their third centre a the moment but he'd be a terrible return for Luongo. There would have to be a substantial addition to make Gillis pull the trigger.

I'm still not against moving Schneider for a young forward talent if the market for Luongo stinks as bad as some of the press are saying.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
All I know is that there are gonna a lot posters freaking out after the Luongo trade goes down. Realistically there are gonna be fans that are not gonna like the return at all and others that will think it's good and will work out. It's gonna be entertaining.

Totally agree. But I can't help but think of how this all went wrong for luongo and the Canucks.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:

I think we also need to factor in the drop in salary cap next season from the $70.2 million (prorated for this year) to $64.3 million. Don't want to be taking back that much in cap space unless that player is going to be helpful to the team.

Because, no one here knows how much Aquaman is willing to shell out for buyouts. He might not want to do any.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:24 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksallent View Post
Bob McKenzie isn't very knowledgeable about the Canucks. We won't be getting Weiss for Luongo, let alone Weiss and then some but we may as well buy Luongo out if Bozak is the best he can return.
Weiss' contract is expiring and it sounds like he won't re-sign in Florida. What exactly do you think he's worth?

Old
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Would move Weiss to the 2nd Line.

Him and Booth have previous chemistry and Weiss is a proven top 6 forward.

Just heard him say that, I am a bit behind, I paused my PVR earlier and just catching up.

So yeah I guess so.
Yeah that works for sure as well.

Old
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Bozak is fine for a team who has Max Lapierre as their third centre a the moment but he'd be a terrible return for Luongo. There would have to be a substantial addition to make Gillis pull the trigger.

I'm still not against moving Schneider for a young forward talent if the market for Luongo stinks as bad as some of the press are saying.
I don't buy the media's claim. The fact is luck to makes the leads a playoff team and the panthers a real contendor. You don't trade a player like that for bits and bites. Gillis needs to stay the course.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Tiranis

Gillis isn't holding out this long to get Bozak as the main piece coming back. If that were the case, this deal would've gotten done long time ago. If it's Bozak + then the + is likely something big enough to make Toronto hesitate, meaning Gardiner, their 1st or something of similar value.

To me they're simply putting the pieces together. They think we lack depth on C and Bozak is a C = match. That's all there is to it.

On that note, did anyone watch their little segment about Canucks? Apparently we're not deep enough on D and Garrison, Ballard and Tanev are not a good enough Bottom 3 compared to the rest of the league. We'll feel the loss of Salo...

Old
01-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Sergei Shirokov

We should shoot for as much as possible since we know there will be a push from both TML and FLA.

but if the return is something along the lines of Bozak, 1st, "something else" or Weiss, prospect. (Or something around that value of either side)

I won't be too disappointed, I will just be excited we can move forward, sign Edler and look forward to the future with our younger players and the younger players/picks we will get.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Bieksallent

Weiss for Luongo straight up makes sense at first thought but the proposals of Weiss and a bunch of Florida's B level prospects doesn't make sense for Florida.

Does it make sense for the Canucks though after this year? It'd be pretty difficult to keep hold of Edler and Weiss when the cap drops back down to $64.5 million even if you're subtracting Luongo and Ballard's contracts.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Weiss for Luongo straight up makes sense at first thought but the proposals of Weiss and a bunch of Florida's B level prospects doesn't make sense for Florida.
So an elite goalie is worth a rental? A rental who has a career high of 61 points on the 1st line?

Old
01-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:

Does it make sense for the Canucks though after this year? It'd be pretty difficult to keep hold of Edler and Weiss when the cap drops back down to $64.5 million even if you're subtracting Luongo and Ballard's contracts.
Thats the thing, we want more than just Weiss cause it will be tough to hold onto him with re-signing Edler in mind.

From Florida's side it makes more sense than you think though, cause they are unlikely to re-sign Weiss, so if they could use him in this deal as a big piece of value along with another thing or two to get Luongo that would be great for them no?

Old
01-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
So an elite goalie is worth a rental? A rental who has a career high of 61 points on the 1st line?
Luongo's elite goalie status is questionable, goalies aren't very valuable on the trade market, and his contract status hurts his value as well. Add to the fact that there are only a handful of teams interested in him, if that. The value probably isn't far off.

In trades for pending free agents, the team trading for the free agent-to-be can talk to him and his agent before finalizing the deal, can they not? I'd imagine Weiss would want to test free agency regardless, though.

Sergei, it all depends on how badly wants Luongo. While Weiss is leaving one way or another, they aren't flush with great offensive, NHL proven talent at center.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:42 PM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:

I would hope we could get something better than Weiss for Luongo. Weiss is hardly a difference-maker.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Also, TSN panel was just talking about what the Canucks will look like next yr. Said Canucks are not as deep on defense, Bob Mckenzie said:

"They're going to trade for a defenseman"

He didn't say it was tied to a goalie trade.

Personally, I think they're good on d. Tanev-Ballard are the best bottom pairing in the NHL in terms of ability to play any minutes.
Yeah I don't understand this, and I agree with the highlighted comment completely.

Honestly I love Bobby Mac he is great, but I think aside from having sources and knowing what is going on with Rumours and stuff.

He really doesn't know much about our team.

Burrows isn't being talked about as a 2C possibility like he said, Lappierre is perfectly capable of being the 3rd line guy until Kes returns, and he didn't even mention Jordan Schroeder who is probably the most likely candidate to fill Kesler's spot till he returns, and possibly for the 3rd Line spot too.

Not sure what Bob is talking about.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:43 PM
thecupismine

Yeah, this claim that the defense isn't deep enough is just stupid. Most of the talking heads are looking at Garrison and his 16 goals saying he won't be able to put up those kinds of numbers again. I don't think they understand that the main reason we picked him up was because of his defensive abilities more-so than his ability to score. His goal-scoring numbers dropping is completely fine so long as he keeps up his defensive play of the last couple years. The Tanev-Ballard pairing is a great third pairing, so I don't know what they're complaining about there. Sure, they aren't typical, massive, slow, hard-hitting 5-6 defensemen but unlike those types, these two can actually skate and move the puck up the ice. Ballard can hip-check like with the best of them and is quite physical for his size.

The only problem compared to previous years is that we're quite weak after Alberts; more than one injury on the backend could cripple us. Having one more defensive prospect in the minors who we could call up if necessary could help in that regard, but that's about it. Also we could be a little worried about having to move one of Edler/Garrison to the right side as they haven't performed particularly well there in the past, but that has little to do with depth. Essentially, unless we're looking to replace Ballard immediately, I don't see the issue here.

With regards to the return for Luongo, if Bozak is a key piece coming back, I'm going to be pissed. He's not a great player at all and was picky-backing off of Kessel all of last year. I'm curious to see what the return will be and whether it will be now or closer to the trade deadline. I'm hoping for someone who can play center or wing in a top 6 forward position to allow the team more versatility in dealing with injuries, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
From Florida some of the pieces I am interested in are (Since Bjugstad isn't available):
- Weiss
- Petrovic
- Howden
- 1st
- Goc
- Trocheck
- Shore
- Skille (Obviously isn't that valuable, would be a throw in that could help out our 4th line nicely IMO)

Maybe: Weiss, Petrovic, Trocheck, Conditional 2nd (Turn to a 1st if If Weiss don't re-sign).

Might be a bit much, maybe change Trocheck to something a little less but this is what I would shoot for 1st then move off of it slowly.
Versteeg?

Old
01-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
I would hope we could get something better than Weiss for Luongo. Weiss is hardly a difference-maker.
He fills a need, at least temporarily, and that's better than some of the proposals I've read about. Who knows what's really being offered for Luongo? Different reports come out every week saying he's either worthless or one team is desperate for solid goaltending and is willing to pay the price.

Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

Lol Bozak is garbage. He's terrible defensively, and he isn't good offensively. He would be nothing more than a whipping boy plug here until he turns UFA.

craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
A soon to be 34 yo elite goalie with a long term deal and a NTC. What is the basis for getting much more? What's the market for goalies who can choose where they play?

Old
01-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Canadian Gold X3
Vrbata or worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
I've always liked Weiss a lot. And if I am remembering correctly, didn't him and Booth have great chemistry?
They did. Weiss would add Malhotra type leadership and probably be one of the best 3rd line centres in the NHL.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:51 PM
KISSland

Can someone tell me what changes there are in the CBA? Had work all day, and found out right before my shift started.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:52 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Lol Bozak is garbage. He's terrible defensively, and he isn't good offensively. He would be nothing more than a whipping boy plug here until he turns UFA.
Bozak has all the tools to be a solid 2nd/3rd line center. The other pieces will be solid pieces if Bozak is the "centerpiece" though.

Some of expectations for Luongo's return are completely out to lunch both ways (too much and too little). Gillis isn't going to be able to hit a home run with this trade, if he can get a double I'll be quite happy.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
If it's Bozak + then the + is likely something big enough to make Toronto hesitate, meaning Gardiner, their 1st or something of similar value.
Howzaboot this:

To the Leafs:

Roberto Luongo
Brendan Gaunce (from Markham Ont.)

To Van:

Tyler Bozak
Morgan Reilly (from Vancouver B.C.)

I'm pretty sure (positive) we'd have to give up a wee bit more; maybe we throw in Corrado (from TO) and we get a second or third back from them.

I know Corrado was picked in the fifth but I'm sure his stock a risen fairly significantly since then.

Closed Thread