HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Version XIV: Rielly Cool Story Broll

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Duffman955

vCash: 500
I haven't really seen Matt Finn play. Can someone describe what type of game he brings? Is he physical, can he shutdown other teams best players, is he primarily offensive defenseman?

His numbers are very impressive so far. He is almost PPG as a defenseman, which is really awesome.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
I haven't really seen Matt Finn play. Can someone describe what type of game he brings? Is he physical, can he shutdown other teams best players, is he primarily offensive defenseman?

His numbers are very impressive so far. He is almost PPG as a defenseman, which is really awesome.
He is a leader that is touted for his defensive play, not offense. He isn't all that physical but still gets the job done. The fact that he is putting up this many points is a huge bonus. He has a good slapper.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:50 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
He'd have to take some very large strides to be compared to Ryan Callahan. That's pretty tough to project at this point.
Yeah Callahan is an optimistic scenario, but remember Callahan himself was a 4th round pick. He's more offensively gifted though, killed it in his final OHL season then put up PPG in the AHL.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Yeah Callahan is an optimistic scenario, but remember Callahan himself was a 4th round pick. He's more offensively gifted though, killed it in his final OHL season then put up PPG in the AHL.
Biggs will really have to ante up his hustle and grit to become a callahan type player.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Brody
nah.

vCash: 24591
great weekend for our OHL prospects

Old
01-06-2013, 05:33 PM
SprDaVE

Leivo is definitely a great prospect. His skating is so much better compared to last year. He must have worked hard on is skating this past summer because he's that much faster.

I'm really excited about him joining the Marlies next season.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:06 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
Leivo is definitely a great prospect. His skating is so much better compared to last year. He must have worked hard on is skating this past summer because he's that much faster.

I'm really excited about him joining the Marlies next season.
He, Biggs, and Percy should be nice additions to the Marlies next year. I`m also expecting Mckegg and Ross to improve their play at the AHL level next year as they adapt to the pro game.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Brody
nah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
He, Biggs, and Percy should be nice additions to the Marlies next year. I`m also expecting Mckegg and Ross to improve their play at the AHL level next year as they adapt to the pro game.
Why don't they send Ross to the ECHL instead of stalling his development by making him a healthy scratch?

Old
01-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Atomos2
The Center of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post

He's a leader and a very smart defenceman especially with positioning. He's not the strongest skater, but he can get around and can also jump into the rush. And he's not the most physical player but he can be tough when he wants to be and when he's protecting the net plus he is has a very good stick in the defensive zone. He makes a great first pass, can make plays and has a really good shot from the point. He is prone to making the odd turnover in his own zone with the puck especially when there is an agressive forechecker(s), but overall, what sets him apart is his smarts with and without the puck.

Finn is a two-way defenceman. He plays on the number one penalty kill and his ability to make plays along with his big shot from the point allows him to be a mainstay on the powerplay.

BTW, the number of goals he has should tell you just how good his shot is.

I;m not great at comparing players to NHL, but if I had to, I'd say right now he reminds me of James Wisniewski.

Last edited by Atomos2: 01-06-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old
01-06-2013, 07:32 PM
67Cup

With the settlement of the lockout, the rosters of most, if not all, AHL teams will be shaken up. A number of top end AHL players will make the Show, thus creating space and playing time for players like Ross. If he doesn't play more then, I will probably agree with you.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:13 PM
WTFMAN99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
He's a leader and a very smart defenceman especially with positioning. He's not the strongest skater, but he can get around and can also jump into the rush. And he's not the most physical player but he can be tough when he wants to be and when he's protecting the net plus he is has a very good stick in the defensive zone. He makes a great first pass, can make plays and has a really good shot from the point. He is prone to making the odd turnover in his own zone with the puck especially when there is an agressive forechecker(s), but overall, what sets him apart is his smarts with and without the puck.

Finn is a two-way defenceman. He plays on the number one penalty kill and his ability to make plays along with his big shot from the point allows him to be a mainstay on the powerplay.

I;m not great at comparing players to NHL, but if I had to, I'd say right now he reminds me of James Wisniewski.
I thought of (after his offensive output this season) more of a Dan Hamhuis...although not saying thats what he will become...just a good comparable.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:29 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
I think at this point he projects to be something along the lines of a Chris Neil. Not much offense, but a valuable player who contributes to many other aspects of the game.

He'd have to work really hard on his offensive awareness and skill, and show some significant improvement there before we can compare him to a Ryan Callahan or even a David Clarkson.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:35 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
I think at this point he projects to be something along the lines of a Chris Neil. Not much offense, but a valuable player who contributes to many other aspects of the game.

He'd have to work really hard on his offensive awareness and skill, and show some significant improvement there before we can compare him to a Ryan Callahan or even a David Clarkson.
Im trying to think of a player Leivo plays like. Some similarities to Kulemin, but he doesnt have that size and im not sure if he will add that to his frame. His skating has improved alot like Kulemins did as well.

Very good shot, release and one timing ability, gritty, strong cycle skills. Pro-average passing... Very good defensively.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:35 PM
TOG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Why don't they send Ross to the ECHL instead of stalling his development by making him a healthy scratch?
We don't have an ECHL affiliate this year, so it isn't that easy with the number of players that got sent down to the AHL this year.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:13 AM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Im trying to think of a player Leivo plays like. Some similarities to Kulemin, but he doesnt have that size and im not sure if he will add that to his frame. His skating has improved alot like Kulemins did as well.

Very good shot, release and one timing ability, gritty, strong cycle skills. Pro-average passing... Very good defensively.
I like Leivo but he's still a project. He has the tendency to play a perimeter game but when he's engaged on the ice he's a very good player.

I see a lot of Drew Stafford in him and hopefully he develops into an NHLer with that kind of offence.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:50 AM
DirtyDion03
Big Wheel

vCash: 166
Quote:
I like Leivo but he's still a project. He has the tendency to play a perimeter game but when he's engaged on the ice he's a very good player.

I see a lot of Drew Stafford in him and hopefully he develops into an NHLer with that kind of offence.
I'm really hoping that Leivo gets moved before the deadline this year. If he gets traded to a decent team with other weapons we could see a completely different style. He played amazing with Sgarbossa and Kuchin last year but, this year he is carrying the load. He's really stepped up his game during the off-season, his foot speed was a big thing the Leafs pushed for, specially for his size. Hopefully he can go somewhere with a coach like London. It'd be great to see him reach his full potential and it would be amazing to see him in the blue and white for a long time, if possible.

01-07-2013, 02:29 AM
CrankuptheSnakes
LOVE & LIVE the Game

A little birdy at the rink said something about a deal for Leivo to move to Bellville.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:32 AM
DirtyDion03
Big Wheel

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
A little birdy at the rink said something about a deal for Leivo to move to Bellville.
Heard a few rumblings about that as well. Should be interesting.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:41 AM
CrankuptheSnakes
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Heard a few rumblings about that as well. Should be interesting.
Just being around hockey can provide a ton of info. Having friends in privillaged places... Well, that's the ticket, right there.

Same friend told me of the Graovac trade to the bulls, and Maletta to Niagara deals. He's been rather quiet on the homefront, but mentioned that we could see Khoklachev/Galchenyuk together very soon. What a deadly duo that would be in black and yellow.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:11 AM
Brody
nah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG26 View Post
We don't have an ECHL affiliate this year, so it isn't that easy with the number of players that got sent down to the AHL this year.
Well, we have players playing in the ECHL, we just need to find a spot for Ross.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
How much do you think it'd benefit him? Any chance he goes back for his ovage year there?

Old
01-07-2013, 04:10 AM
Atomos2
The Center of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFMAN99 View Post
I thought of (after his offensive output this season) more of a Dan Hamhuis...although not saying thats what he will become...just a good comparable.
He very well could be...but I have not seen enough of Hamhuis to make that comparison.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:38 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Well, we have players playing in the ECHL, we just need to find a spot for Ross.

How much do you think it'd benefit him? Any chance he goes back for his ovage year there?
Will be a very good idea for him to get a new team tbh. However I think its best he comes to the AHL next season not the OHL.

01-07-2013, 07:51 AM
namttebih

Is Devane hurt or was he at some point this season. I see that he has only played 12 games in the ECHL.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:38 AM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post

Finn is probably going to need a year in the AHL, I would say this is a good recap of his game.

He's not flashy at all, he has to play a postional game because he doesn't have the wheels like a Rielly has, but he reads the play well. I think one of his biggest assets will be he can be a very effective number #2 unit PP point man, as for comparisons, maybe a Dennis Seidenburg if we are lucky. He's not overly aggressive but Finn will shove and move people out of the crease. If he can add a little more in the dept then Seidenburg is a good player to shoot for.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I'm really hoping that Leivo gets moved before the deadline this year. If he gets traded to a decent team with other weapons we could see a completely different style. He played amazing with Sgarbossa and Kuchin last year but, this year he is carrying the load. He's really stepped up his game during the off-season, his foot speed was a big thing the Leafs pushed for, specially for his size. Hopefully he can go somewhere with a coach like London. It'd be great to see him reach his full potential and it would be amazing to see him in the blue and white for a long time, if possible.
I would like him to come to London, then I could watch him I don't think London will be doing big trades like that though, if any trades. You simply don't make big moves after you go on a 20+ game winning streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by namttebih View Post
Is Devane hurt or was he at some point this season. I see that he has only played 12 games in the ECHL.
I think I heard he broke his hand.

Closed Thread