HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly (2012, 5th overall, Toronto) II

Old
01-06-2013, 05:40 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehner View Post
I disagree, he had an awful tourny. Was a wreck in his own end. He rushed the puck 1 on 4/5 and shot the puck with a soft wrister into the goalie.

He had maybe two good periods of hockey.

He still has loads of skill and showed flashes of his skating and puck moving. He has a lot of work to do tho.
You were ripping on him the entire time though. Even in the Slovakia game, I remember you going on about how he was playing poorly, then as soon as he turned the game around you quieted down. No offense, but you seem pretty damn biased. Of course, I have some homer in me too, but I'm not going to say he had a great tournament by any means, no one on Canada really did.

"Okay" is probably the best way to describe how he played. Spott ruined his confidence too by constantly benching him. Rielly's one of those D who you gotta give the reigns to a bit and ample opportunity to have him succeed.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
You were ripping on him the entire time though. Even in the Slovakia game, I remember you going on about how he was playing poorly, then as soon as he turned the game around you quieted down. No offense, but you seem pretty damn biased. Of course, I have some homer in me too, but I'm not going to say he had a great tournament by any means, no one on Canada really did.

"Okay" is probably the best way to describe how he played. Spott ruined his confidence too by constantly benching him. Rielly's one of those D who you gotta give the reigns to a bit and ample opportunity to have him succeed.
Yea he played good in the 2nd period of the Slovakia game, and he played good in the 3rd of Canada/Russia bronze game.

Thats about it.

Lehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:21 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post

I remember when MR played good in the first game of the SSS and every homer TML fan was saying how hes the next bobby orr. It was bad. And now that he had a crappy wjc the critics will pipe up. So the homerism on MR goes both ways, the loud the homer supporters for MR are, the louder the critics are

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
I remember when MR played good in the first game of the SSS and every homer TML fan was saying how hes the next bobby orr. It was bad. And now that he had a crappy wjc the critics will pipe up. So the homerism on MR goes both ways, the loud the homer supporters for MR are, the louder the critics are
This is just garbage ^

I can't be the only one thats sick and tired of people like that putting words in our mouths.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:36 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
This is just garbage ^

I can't be the only one thats sick and tired of people like that putting words in our mouths.
Dont worry topchowda is a huge leafs basher , dont take anything he says personally.

Leafs at Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:44 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
This is just garbage ^

He's always ripping the Leafs and their prospects. I'd take anything he says with a grain of salt. Chowda probably never even watched a WJC game...

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:44 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Yeah no. Nobody's calling him the next Bobby Orr. Honestly I don't remember anyone calling him Bobby Orr besides people being tongue-in-cheek or sarcastically by fans of other teams trying to be condescending.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:09 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Due to his skating an up tempo game I think he will get more ice time today against the Russians...agreed will be interesting to watch.
Didn't play out so well, whatsoever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Reilly is really impressing this WJC. He's up there with (don't want to spell his last name wrong, so) Xavier for our best defenceman. Might turn out to be the best d-man out of the draft.......

Not a Toronto fan by any means of the word. Lucky, that's all.
Get some glasses man. I don't know what tourney you were watching but Rielly started off with so much promise(Against the weaker teams) and finished off terribly he was anything but one of their best defenders.

I hope Rielly was suffering from the lack of responsibility his defensive partner was causing, even though Rielly had some blatant mistakes he made himself.

I was very disappointed after watching his great performance in the Sub-series. Rielly's skating gives him all the ability to perform offensively but I think he will top out as a number 2-3 option.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:41 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Just didn't see enough ES time and was being rotated alongside Wotherspoon, Reinhart, and Murphy. Not concerned about him at all.

Anyways, I'd like to see them give him a taste of the NHL (9 game stint, or less) this season.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:44 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Just didn't see enough ES time and was being rotated alongside Wotherspoon, Reinhart, and Murphy. Not concerned about him at all.

Anyways, I'd like to see them give him a taste of the NHL (9 game stint, or less) this season.
He's just a Boy he'll get eat up and spit out in the NHL, please Leafs don't ruin another pick.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs03 View Post
only time i dont want rielly play well is training cam cause i dont want him to play in the nhl just yet. he still has a lot more to learn n whl is best place for that.. come on, we are so used to ruinung players cuz we rush them! when are we all gonna learn that??? lets be patient with Rielly! he has great pot.
Riellys a dealer? Leafs are gonna be SLOWWWWW once he makes the jump.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post

Get some glasses man. I don't know what tourney you were watching but Rielly started off with so much promise(Against the weaker teams) and finished off terribly he was anything but one of their best defenders.

I hope Rielly was suffering from the lack of responsibility his defensive partner was causing, even though Rielly had some blatant mistakes he made himself.

I was very disappointed after watching his great performance in the Sub-series. Rielly's skating gives him all the ability to perform offensively but I think he will top out as a number 2-3 option.
You posted a video/thread about Karlsson making the greats move ever, a move that a 12 year old single A player can pull. You opinion is invalid.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:53 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

I bet Sens fans were also telling us how much Cowen sucked, after his godawful WJCs.

Last edited by TheLeastOfTheBunch: 01-06-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old
01-06-2013, 07:54 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Riellys a dealer? Leafs are gonna be SLOWWWWW once he makes the jump.
He only deals to his teammates if they win. It's kind of a reward type deal.

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:54 PM
puckfan13

He's 18, what exactly are you expecting from this kid defensively. Would prefer to see him finish in the WHL but who knows what will happen with Gardiner injured.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:55 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
I bet Sens fans were also telling us how much Cowen sucked, after his godawful WJCs.
I bring up Cowen's first tourny all the time to use as an example as to how you can't judge someone because of a short tournament. Rielly is going to be awesome. This tourny means very little, if anything at all.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:55 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
He's 18, what exactly are you expecting from this kid defensively. Would prefer to see him finish in the WHL but who knows what will happen with Gardiner injured.
Yeah seriously.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post

LMFAO so a kid who is playing in his first wjhc has a couple of mediocre games and your whole opinion of him changes. You're a joke.

Have you seen any Moose Jaw games this year..I'd advise you start because you're clueless. He's the only reason Moose Jaw isn't completely crapping the bed this season. Completely dominates games. Give your head a shake.

If there is one guy to complain about it's Hamilton, when you have returning players you expect them to dominate, not rip on a kid who's 18 and playing in his first tournament. I hope someone bumps this thread next year when Rielly is tearing it up for Canada.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Even with Gardiner out, they have Holzer knocking at the door, and Paul Ranger when he gets signed to a NHL contract.
Shouldn't that be "if" not when ? Unless I missed something.

Reilly should be sent back to develop. However, give him his 9 to test in see if there is a spot.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:00 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
I bring up Cowen's first tourny all the time to use as an example as to how you can't judge someone because of a short tournament. Rielly is going to be awesome. This tourny means very little, if anything at all.
Yup. Cowen's doing well in the NHL now, and is only going to improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Shouldn't that be "if" not when ? Unless I missed something.

Reilly should be sent back to develop. However, give him his 9 to test in see if there is a spot.
Yup. I am under the impression Ranger wants to play for the Leafs. Could be wrong however.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:02 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

As someone who is friends with Ranger's old roommate, I can confirm he wants to play with the Leafs. He grew up a Leaf fan. Its his dream. He signed an AHL deal first though because he'd been out of the game for so long.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:10 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
If anyone had a horrible World Juniors it had to be Dougie Hamilton. Prior to the tournament everyone said how great he would be, chances are he would be the captain or alternate captain since he played the World Juniors 1 year before and etc. From watching the games he didn't look like the future #1 Defensman everyone said he will become in the NHL.

As for Rielly you need to remember this was his first time playing for Canada at the World Juniors and he didn't get a lot of ice time, although that's expected given the returning Defensman.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:55 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

As an outside unbiased viewer I think the Sens fans in this thread is being a little ridiculous and extremely hypocritical. Can you imagine if this is Karlsson in a slump (and I was hyping him up quite a bit when he came into the league). Talk about role reversals

Anyways moving past that, I think Rielly's potential is as high as anyone in that draft, liked the pick at the time and I don't see how his first shot at this tournament should change mine or anyone's opinion. I felt he played fine, decision making was off because of the lack of confidence. But the whole team was off.

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:11 AM
Sundinisagod
just give'r

Quote:

Back that up man

Sundinisagod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:16 AM
toewsintangibles

If Rielly was a sunbelt team prospect, he'd get the same treatment as Murphy. Face it, they are extremely similar prospects and have a long way to go before reaching the NHL level

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote