HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

NYR.com: Korpikoski

Old
06-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Captain11

vCash: 500
NYR.com: Korpikoski

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/team/ProspectRecap/

Future first liner. I've just got a feeling about it.

Captain11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I hope he'll be a first liner, but i'm telling you now, he's gonna be a fan favorite for years to come.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Levitate

i wonder if the rangers start him on the third line if he has a real good training camp...

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Geogaddi

Korpo, Immonen, Dubinsky, and maybe Staal (Maybe) are the guys i see making a good impact during training camp. It will be very exciting to see.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 03:16 AM
Taz

Still not totally sold on him being a 1st liner at all to be honest. Again another who next season he has to really start to show something, He hasnt show much Offence at all so far apart from doing ok vs Kids his age. There is still time heres to a good AHL campaign

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 05:43 AM
streen1000

Send a message via MSN to streen1000
korpikoski's another example of whats wrong with the finnish prospect system today. He's got the potential to be a 30 goal scorer but in finland where fair play and "every plays" is stressed from ages 5 to age 14, it hinders their development alot. Consider that kids in russia who are talented play way more than finns cause in their teams they dont have fairplay rules that force coaches to play every at seemingly even amounts.

So korpikoski might blossom a bit late, compared to what he would've if he was a youngster from someplace else (russia canada etc). But we'll see eh

streen1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 07:39 AM
shoothepuck

You hope he has a good camp and develops into a productive rookie.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 07:50 AM
NYRBLUE 74

Send a message via AIM to NYRBLUE 74
I think this guy is the real deal. I remember the day the blueshirts got him. I forgot about him. I have my own game to concentrate on! still we all have to be excited for the up coming season.

NYRBLUE 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 08:58 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

IMO he starts in Hartford and plays with

Dubinsky and Callahan. You mold all 3 into a very effective line. Grit, aggravating as hell to play against, you bring all 3 up, start them out as your 4th or 3rd line and let them further develop individually and as a group at the NHL level.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 09:50 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
Dubinsky and Callahan. You mold all 3 into a very effective line. Grit, aggravating as hell to play against, you bring all 3 up, start them out as your 4th or 3rd line and let them further develop individually and as a group at the NHL level.

I have higher expectations for Dubinsky. Right now, I think he is the most offensively gifted center prospect we have. I'd like to see him with a player like Jessiman, perhaps to see if some chemistry forms, and see if his energy unlocks some of Jessiman's offensive gifts. Or, I'd like to see Dubinsky play with a player like Greg Moore. OTOH, Korpi next to Dubinsky is something I could see, simply because it appears Korpi has offensive talent, but, he hasn't been put in such a role. (Maybe down the line Korpi plays Lehtinen to Dubinsky's Modano!!!)

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 10:05 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I'm with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
This sounds like a decent line.

Solid defensively, and capable offensively. I'd like to see them on the AHL level before bringing them up, but I also would bring them up as a trio.

good idea

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 11:11 AM
chosen

I have never seen him but it's hard to imagine that one could surmise that he has great hands based on his production to date. Maybe after I see him I'll be convinced.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 11:33 AM
FmmF3*

I understand your fears, but take a look at Prucha's pre-NHL numbers. Often times in some of these European leagues, 'seniority' rules all. That is, a 30-something player will get the 20 minute ice time while younger, more talented guys will be stuck with less than 10 minutes a night.

FmmF3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 11:35 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FmmF3
I understand your fears, but take a look at Prucha's pre-NHL numbers. Often times in some of these European leagues, 'seniority' rules all. That is, a 30-something player will get the 20 minute ice time while younger, more talented guys will be stuck with less than 10 minutes a night.

that sounds just like the old rangers team with Brent Fedyk, Tim Sweeney and the other bums.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FmmF3
But Prucha was atleast able to reach double digits in goals and points in the Czech league. I don't care how little ice time you get, someone who is supposedly as talented as Korpikoski should be able to manage more than 7 points in 51 games. I really feel as though his draft status rose dramatically because of the line he played on at the WJCs (with Tukonen and Nokelainen). He clearly benefitted from his linemates, and i think he owes his first round draft position to them.

That being said, I am really rooting for Korpi to succeed. I love the kid and hope he becomes a top 6 player, but in the end I think we have ourselves yet another third liner. I hope that I eat crow on this one day, though.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 12:06 PM
FmmF3*

I think Korpikoski will be good for 15-20 goals and maybe 20-30 assists in the NHL while I think Prucha will be good for 25-40 goals depending on his health and linemates. Prucha has an edge in his offensive game, but Korpi is a decently sized player. Take a look at his Int'l numbers.

All in all, its a crapshoot. Korpikoski could be a 10 goal player or a 30 goal player. Ultimately we won't know for another 2 or 3 years what his fully realized potential is.

FmmF3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Nich

you can't really read into korpedo's numbers in finnland because he was playing a limited role. but at the same time, he was playing against men, and well. but from what i heard he was on the 4th line.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 05:29 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

I agree that Jessiman needs to play with

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
I have higher expectations for Dubinsky. Right now, I think he is the most offensively gifted center prospect we have. I'd like to see him with a player like Jessiman, perhaps to see if some chemistry forms, and see if his energy unlocks some of Jessiman's offensive gifts. Or, I'd like to see Dubinsky play with a player like Greg Moore. OTOH, Korpi next to Dubinsky is something I could see, simply because it appears Korpi has offensive talent, but, he hasn't been put in such a role. (Maybe down the line Korpi plays Lehtinen to Dubinsky's Modano!!!)
an offensive center, plus play quality minutes. He needs to have the opportunity to just go out and play and play with line mates that play to his strengths. When I look at lines I always like to players that compliment each others style. I agree that Dubi looks to have a brighter upside on the offensive side, I just like the 3 guys I named as a line. I just think it would drive the opponents nuts.

Please don't take my saying that they start as tyhe 3rd or 4th line as meaning that that is what I think their talent levels are. I just think rookies earn their time by working their way up through the lineup, that's all. Old fashion.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 11:47 PM
Pizza

All I can say is that I have a great feeling about this kid, but that is total blue sky.

However some Finnish posters have spoke very highly of him, and I'll never forget Pierre McGuire's reaction when the Rangers picked him. McGuire was toatlly over the top, and just went on and on about how the Rangers had FINALLY made a great pick.

Hopefully that is not the kiss of death!! LOL.

Serioulsy, I think the Rangers have a gem...maybe even better in Lauri Korpikoski.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 01:44 AM
Geogaddi

hopefully he pans out about the same as Wojtek Wolski ...bc if he doesnt then i will be very upset. Wolski was the guy i was SCREAMING at the Tele' to get. But dont get me wrong and start flaming me, bc i see good things for Korpo.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 02:22 AM
Phenomenon

Korpikoski was a real disappointment in the Finnish league last season and showed no progress in developing from a promising youngster to a franchise player. It is true that he played in a minor role, but the veteran players in his team were really underachieving, so there was plenty of chances to rise up and take a bigger role.

I hope that the bleak last season was just due to the sophomore jinx. Korpikoski needs to get back to train that leads into 1st liner. Now he seems to accept the minor role and his presence on the ice is too humble. In order to develop into a key player for NYR he must get quality coaching (guys in Turku do not like this, but Hannu Jortikka is not the right choice for a young kid in development phase). The mentality needs working up - true goal scorers must have enough arrogance and bravery and these are the areas that still separate Korpikoski from elite prospects like Tukonen and Nokelainen.

Do not get me wrong - I still believe that Lauri will be at least a good player in NHL, but he is still a project and is at least 2 years away from the first two lines.

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 05:51 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
He looked very good at the WJC's. I think he is a real dark horse to be a great player. I sure wish my team had him.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 08:04 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
He looked very good at the WJC's. I think he is a real dark horse to be a great player. I sure wish my team had him.
And he also made somewhat of a splash in his professional debut w/ Hartford. 2 goals and several assists in 5 games or so, right? Not bad.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Levitate

I'd honestly be surprised if he turned out to be a 1st liner. I see him as more of a quality second line guy.

I think he's got some good scoring potential that hasn't been tapped, and hopefully some time in the AHL will bring it out of him

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote