HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 Oilers Preview (Season Starts In Van on Jan. 20th)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2013, 07:54 PM
  #126
smokersarejokers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
They will not all be invited
@EdmontonOilers: GM Tambellini projects 15 forwards, 8 defencemen and 2 goalies at #Oilers camp, not including Sutton and Jones who are currently injured
So Khabibulin will attend?

(2G)Dubnyk, Khabibulin

(8D)Whitney, J. Schultz, N Schultz, Smid, Petry, Peckham, Potter, Teubert

(15F) Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Gagner, Hemsky, Yakupov, Smyth, Horcoff, Eager, Petrell, Belanger, Hordichuk, Hartikainen, Paajarvi, Lander.

Does that look right?

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:19 PM
  #127
SchultzSquared
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,656
vCash: 500
Guesses on opening night lines?

Hartski-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
Eager-Belanger-Petrell
Ex: Hordichuk

Smid-Petry
Schultz-Schultz
Whitney-Potter
Ex: Teubert

Probably doesn't stay that way and that Nordic Line or whatever was pretty good from what I saw but I think it starts like that.

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:20 PM
  #128
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Guesses on opening night lines?

Hartski-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
Eager-Belanger-Petrell
Ex: Hordichuk

Smid-Petry
Schultz-Schultz
Whitney-Potter
Ex: Teubert

Probably doesn't stay that way and that Nordic Line or whatever was pretty good from what I saw but I think it starts like that.
Hemsky will be on one of the top two lines. Guaranteed.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:30 PM
  #129
SchultzSquared
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Hemsky will be on one of the top two lines. Guaranteed.
You wouldn't want to see two older, battle-worn guys that need every inch of ice and every second of time at this stage of their careers get that with a speedy, creative forward that will draw attention solely because of his hands? Hemsky also seemed to pull down whoever he was playing with last year because of his "style" of play so I think it's a good fit for everybody. Just what I think though.

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:41 PM
  #130
Koto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Too many people playing the right boards. RNH uses it to make plays and Yakupov uses it for one timers. Id put Harti/Smyth on the 1st to go infront and put Yakupov on 2nd with Hemsky creating playing off the half boards setting him up

this.



stop putting rnh and yak on the same powerplay. they stand in the exact same place.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:44 PM
  #131
402
#ualberta
 
402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Egypt
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
So Khabibulin will attend?

(2G)Dubnyk, Khabibulin

(8D)Whitney, J. Schultz, N Schultz, Smid, Petry, Peckham, Potter, Teubert

(15F) Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Gagner, Hemsky, Yakupov, Smyth, Horcoff, Eager, Petrell, Belanger, Hordichuk, Hartikainen, Paajarvi, Lander.

Does that look right?
Yeah that looks about right, i watch steve tambellini's press conference and injuries were discussed and it sounds like bulin should be good to go for camp smid who was also injured earlier in december is now good to go

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:46 PM
  #132
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe
 
OilerTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,670
vCash: 50
My (perfect) power play units

--------NET--------
--------10-----4----
--14----------------
---------------93----
---------19-----------

----------NET----------
---89-----94-----------
-------------------64---
---83--------------------
-----------6-------------

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:55 PM
  #133
402
#ualberta
 
402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Egypt
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
My (perfect) power play units

--------NET--------
--------10-----4----
--14----------------
---------------93----
---------19-----------

----------NET----------
---89-----94-----------
-------------------64---
---83--------------------
-----------6-------------
Yes this looks great i bet krueger will go with something very similar to this and i think this pp will be one of if not the best pp in the league.
Its been so long i almost forgot who some of the numbers Are

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:00 PM
  #134
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
You wouldn't want to see two older, battle-worn guys that need every inch of ice and every second of time at this stage of their careers get that with a speedy, creative forward that will draw attention solely because of his hands? Hemsky also seemed to pull down whoever he was playing with last year because of his "style" of play so I think it's a good fit for everybody. Just what I think though.
Hemsky seems to have his game back in order after a pretty significant struggle post-shoulder surgery. He played great at the end of last year and had a terrific half a season in the Czech league. At just 29 I expect him to lead that young offensive core.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:04 PM
  #135
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
I don't expect the Oilers to make the playoffs this season but Mike Johnson's assertion today on TSN that the team is still years away is laughable at best. Eventually the pure skill of this team is going to pull the franchise out of the muck with or without Tambellini's help. Perennial re-building teams like the Blue Jackets haven't been blessed with the embarrassment of riches (and luck) that Tambellini has had.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:12 PM
  #136
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
The club is still short 1 big RD since Teubert, Peckham and Potter dont belong in NHL.

The rest of the squad looks good

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:50 PM
  #137
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out
 
ToeDrag83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oil Country
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
I loved the Hall-RNH-Hemsky line last year whenever they had a chance to play together.

That would leave Eberle-Gagner-Yakupov as a line. If Hall-Gagner-Eberle can work, I think Yakupov can bring some of the same elements to that line that Hall did, like pushing the D back and playing finisher to Ganger and Eberle's playmaking abilities. It's a small, defensively liable line no doubt, but it could work in spurts.

If we want to spread the wealth, however, I roll with these lines:

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Smyth-Gagner-Eberle
Hartikainen-Horcoff-Yakupov
Hordichuk-Belanger-Eager

Whitney-Schultz
Smid-Petry
Schultz-Peckham/Potter

Part of me wants to somehow bring up the Nordic line together, they seem very effective as a unit. 2014-15?

ToeDrag83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:51 PM
  #138
Lion
Registered User
 
Lion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,099
vCash: 50
Whitney - Petry
Smid - J .Schultz
N. Schultz - Potter
Ex. Teubert

I really hope we've seen the last of Peckham on the Oilers. The guy is a pylon with no hockey sense.

Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:58 PM
  #139
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg
 
Ser Woof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 11,164
vCash: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Hemsky also seemed to pull down whoever he was playing with last year because of his "style" of play so I think it's a good fit for everybody. Just what I think though.
Hemsky showed chemistry with both Hall and RNH last year and looked downright dominant at times with both of them.

I'm not sure I'd consider that "pulling down whoever he was playing with". He didn't have an incredible year but his style of play not being a "good fit" wasn't the problem.

Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:07 PM
  #140
worraps
Acceptance
 
worraps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,631
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
My (perfect) power play units

--------NET--------
--------10-----4----
--14----------------
---------------93----
---------19-----------

----------NET----------
---89-----94-----------
-------------------64---
---83--------------------
-----------6-------------
I think this will be what Kruger rolls with. If Yakupov makes a quick adjustment to the NHL the second unit will be nearly as dangerous as the first.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:19 PM
  #141
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,491
vCash: 500
I think if our PP continues to dominate opposing defenseman will be less likely to clutch/grab our forwards or lay dangerous hit to avoid getting penalties. And which that the ice will open up alot for the big 5

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:20 PM
  #142
armandh01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,014
vCash: 500
To the oilers a 48-50 game season is sort of untrue. Any games against Minnesota are null so well prolly have like a 42-45 game season in actuality to make the playoffs with.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:21 PM
  #143
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
My (perfect) power play units

--------NET--------
--------10-----4----
--14----------------
---------------93----
---------19-----------

----------NET----------
---89-----94-----------
-------------------64---
---83--------------------
-----------6-------------
Shawn Horcoff had 1 pp goal in his last 60 games last year. He had zero game winning goals last year. He was 2nd only to Eberle (and only by 2 minutes) on the whole team of pp time. Horcoff had almost nothing to do with the good pp last year. If they want someone to stand in front of the next then put one of the best players in the league at that over the years. #94

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:26 PM
  #144
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Yes this looks great i bet krueger will go with something very similar to this and i think this pp will be one of if not the best pp in the league.
Its been so long i almost forgot who some of the numbers Are
You should cheer for Vancouver or Calgary then-that'll fit right in with those fanbases

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:27 PM
  #145
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Shawn Horcoff had 1 pp goal in his last 60 games last year. He had zero game winning goals last year. He was 2nd only to Eberle (and only by 2 minutes) on the whole team of pp time. Horcoff had almost nothing to do with the good pp last year. If they want someone to stand in front of the next then put one of the best players in the league at that over the years. #94
or Harti...if he sticks with the team anyway

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:46 PM
  #146
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe
 
OilerTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,670
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Shawn Horcoff had 1 pp goal in his last 60 games last year. He had zero game winning goals last year. He was 2nd only to Eberle (and only by 2 minutes) on the whole team of pp time. Horcoff had almost nothing to do with the good pp last year. If they want someone to stand in front of the next then put one of the best players in the league at that over the years. #94
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

The unit succeeded with Horcoff in that role, even when he wasn't putting up goals. True, he might not be a wizard in front of the net like Smyth is. I'd argue that Horcoff is better at cycling the puck and passing it though. I remember him setting up a few goals that Smyth probably wouldn't have been able to. Either way, both of them are going to end up on the power play. I don't think it would make too much of a difference if they switched units.

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:49 PM
  #147
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Insta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,359
vCash: 500
Horcoff plays the #1 PP also because he actually has a chance at winning an offensive zone faceoff.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:55 PM
  #148
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe
 
OilerTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,670
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Horcoff plays the #1 PP also because he actually has a chance at winning an offensive zone faceoff.
Smyth actually had a better power play face off winning percentage than Horcoff last season.

However, Horcoff took 227 power play faceoffs and Smyth took 46. I'm not sure Smyth would have done as well over that large of a sample size. I'm sure Horcoff's faceoff competition was tougher as well.

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:57 PM
  #149
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...
 
stratedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,231
vCash: 50
I think the Oilers will be just like OKC so far; no offensive depth and bad defense. Besides Schultz and Smid, all our defense has been sitting on their butts for 9 months. That's worrisome. This team is going to have a very hard time keeping the puck out of the net, and I'll tell you now theyre going to make Dubnyk look bad regardless of how he plays.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:15 PM
  #150
Koto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeDrag83 View Post
I loved the Hall-RNH-Hemsky line last year whenever they had a chance to play together.

That would leave Eberle-Gagner-Yakupov as a line. If Hall-Gagner-Eberle can work, I think Yakupov can bring some of the same elements to that line that Hall did, like pushing the D back and playing finisher to Ganger and Eberle's playmaking abilities. It's a small, defensively liable line no doubt, but it could work in spurts.

If we want to spread the wealth, however, I roll with these lines:

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Smyth-Gagner-Eberle
Hartikainen-Horcoff-Yakupov
Hordichuk-Belanger-Eager

Whitney-Schultz
Smid-Petry
Schultz-Peckham/Potter

Part of me wants to somehow bring up the Nordic line together, they seem very effective as a unit. 2014-15?
i hated this line, and it breaks up the team-best synergy between rnh and eberle

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.