HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Time to Sign Subban

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 08:04 PM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

vCash: 400
PK is our franchise D player. MaxPac, PK, Price is the cornerstone of this team.

Get him signed long term, anywhere up to 6M.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:07 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
I would seriously consider a trade around Couturier for Subban. Flyers would have to add but it would be an awesome 1-2 punch of Gally and Couts for years.
You do realize Subban is the only #1 type defenseman in the organization?

Old
01-06-2013, 08:07 PM
beaverBFP

People on here are crazy.. We have a potential young stud defenceman sitting on our laps and people want to trade him? ****ing ridiculous. Give him whatever the market value is for young defenceman or give him a bridge contract until the teams able to trim the fat.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:11 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
8 years 5mil cap hit. First 2 years at 4.
There's a limit of 6 years in the new CBA correct?

Old
01-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
great and who anchors the habs D? gorges and a bionic markov?
no deal.
I guess you'd have to be patient. The Habs won't go very far in the next year or two, with or without Subban. Assuming Subban is traded, I foresee a rebuild based on 1) the substantial return for Subban, 2) their first round draft picks in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 (Tinordi, Boileau, Galchenyuk, and player X (who should be a very high pick based on Subban's absence), not to mention 3) Collberg and the other four second rounders picked in 2012 and 2013, plus 4) any prospect already in the organization.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Kriss E

Never get tired of this vid. Not only does he showcase his skills, but it also proves that he gets in players minds, and that's always an advantage.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:22 PM
AntonCH

So, just wanting to ask a stupid question
Where do we find players like Subban to replace Subban?
Puck-moving Dman that can play in all situations, draws penalties, eats minutes AND can hit.
Trade him? Am I missing something here?
Every time this team has won, we've had multiple above-average Dmen.
Now we want to get rid of one?
No matter what the return, the team that wins the trade is the one that gets the best player.
PK is young enough that he can help the rebuild while here instead of being dealt to do it

Old
01-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Malreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
There's a limit of 6 years in the new CBA correct?
No. 7 years for UFA's, 8 years for your own UFA's.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I guess you'd have to be patient. The Habs won't go very far in the next year or two, with or without Subban. Assuming Subban is traded, I foresee a rebuild based on 1) the substantial return for Subban, 2) their first round draft picks in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 (Tinordi, Boileau, Galchenyuk, and player X (who should be a very high pick based on Subban's absence), not to mention 3) Collberg and the other four second rounders picked in 2012 and 2013, plus 4) any prospect already in the organization.
So, you are basing yourself on players that have not played one single game in the NHL. Actually, you even rely on guys that aren't even drafted.
You realize that it's highly probable that none of the guys you mentioned will be as good as PK.
We also could have them all AND Subban.

Trading PK would be a horrible move (I don't think any team would pay the return he's worth).

Old
01-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Subban’s future remains in doubt

Pretty much the latest article about the situation.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Subban’s future remains in doubt

Pretty much the latest article about the situation.
I like Stubbs usually, but that article is bizarre. It's not like Subban is a UFA.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
So, you are basing yourself on players that have not played one single game in the NHL. Actually, you even rely on guys that aren't even drafted.
You realize that it's highly probable that none of the guys you mentioned will be as good as PK.
We also could have them all AND Subban.

Trading PK would be a horrible move (I don't think any team would pay the return he's worth).
You, too, are conjecturing about players eligible for the upcoming draft. More important, you're taking for granted that Subban will become a superstar. He might not. Finally, trading Subban now would almost undoubtedly affect where the Habs finish this season. That is, his absence might result in an extremely high draft choice in the very rich 2013 class.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Only on HF would people be ok with trading Subban for a draft pick.

Jesus christ.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post

Jesus christ.
For 1rst overall ? If it means getting Mackinnon or Jones ? I would do it.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
For 1rst overall ? If it means getting Mackinnon or Jones ? I would do it.
I would absolutely do it to get #1. However, the team that traded for Subban would be unlikely to finish last. The return would probably consist of a very good young forward plus a first round pick outside the top 10.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Miller Time

Anything less than a 4 year deal would be a bad decision...

Get him locked up long term, and let us all enjoy watching him blossom into a perennial Norris candidate.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
This is easily the most ridiculous thing I have read in 2013 so far.
Quote:
You can't be serious...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Fail-post of the year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
Pierre Gauthier, is that you?
Yup. I stand by what I've said. He seems to be a cancer in the locker room and some players publicly said that they didn't want to comment on Subban's attitude in the locker room. There will always be those who love Subban and those who hate him. Unfortunately, I just don't see him as a part of our future. Laviolette and Holmgren didn't even want to let go of Couturier for Subban last year..it says a lot about how they think of Couturier..not Subban. Couturier is a winner, a guy with a head on his shoulders..you win with those players..not with a guy like Subban who's so overrated and thinks of himself as a god. You build a winning team with guys with great attitudes: Price, Pacioretty, Leblanc, Galchenyuk, and you can see players with that attitude in Jones and Drouin. Plus, if he wants a contract similar to Dougthy..he can dream about it. You sign him over $4.5-5M per year and you will regret it. He's nowhere near the level of players like Pietrangelo and Doughty.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
You, too, are conjecturing about players eligible for the upcoming draft. More important, you're taking for granted that Subban will become a superstar. He might not. Finally, trading Subban now would almost undoubtedly affect where the Habs finish this season. That is, his absence might result in an extremely high draft choice in the very rich 2013 class.
Hmm, I'm not taking anything for granted.
PK is a top 2 D, arguably top 1, that can play in every possible situation. He'll play the PP, PK and ES all well. He'll be a player you want on the ice either up by one defending a lead in the dying seconds, or looking for a goal with a minute left. He skates extremely well, isn't afraid to rough it up and come defend his teammates, he'll dive in front of shots, he throws out major hits, and has a bullet of a shot to go along with great stickhandling and puck moving skills.
The guy has very few flaws to his game. He already is a major star. Will he reach superstar status? We'll see, but chances are there, and outside Price, we have nobody else on our team (or even prospect pool, Gally is too young imo) that has that potential.

When you talk about rebuilding a team, trading away your best Dman who happens to be 23 and still in RFA years is absolutely counter productive. To the point that it is moronic.
Rebuilding means keeping your good young players and moving your older veterans that are still effective, like Plekanec and Cole.
It's retarded, no offense.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Et le But

Quote:

Jesus christ.
If you could guarantee Seth Jones I understand the logic.

But even then, we'd be better off intentionally tanking to try and pair Subban with Jones rather than only have one.

But really, the only reason we should even consider trading Subban is if he wants to be traded.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

You can't sign Price, Pacioretty, and Gorges to long term deals then put the brakes on with PK.

I have faith that Bergevin has this dossier under control, he's a young , unique, high profile player firmly belonging in the "necessary" category.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Yup. I stand by what I've said. He seems to be a cancer in the locker room and some players publicly said that they didn't want to comment on Subban's attitude in the locker room. There will always be those who love Subban and those who hate him. Unfortunately, I just don't see him as a part of our future. Laviolette and Holmgren didn't even want to let go of Couturier for Subban last year..it says a lot about how they think of Couturier..not Subban. Couturier is a winner, a guy with a head on his shoulders..you win with those players..not with a guy like Subban who's so overrated and thinks of himself as a god. You build a winning team with guys with great attitudes: Price, Pacioretty, Leblanc, Galchenyuk, and you can see players with that attitude in Jones and Drouin. Plus, if he wants a contract similar to Dougthy..he can dream about it. You sign him over $4.5-5M per year and you will regret it. He's nowhere near the level of players like Pietrangelo and Doughty.
I really love it when people on HF form opinions based on absolute garbage speculations and assumptions.
I really find it amusing how you talk about building a team around guys with great attitudes like Price. This guy had an even bigger attitude ''problem'' than PK. Remember? Pictures of him smoking cigarettes on vacation wasted? Rumors about him impregnating a minor? The constant partying and out of shape times? The little ''fight'' with Markov after a game?? I mean, you name it. Great attitude..
What happened exactly? Oh yea, he freaking grew up!
PK never did anything bad, what did he do really? Was obnoxious and it rubbed people off?? Ouhhhh...let's trade him...he's a poison..
You don't win with PK? Didn't Canada win the Gold with him?? Twice??? One of which he was voted to the Tourny's All Star team after an amazing performance scoring 9pts in 6GP (That's more than Gally as as Dman, granted older). So I think we can already drop this dumb notion that you don't win with guys like him.

As for Philly, those are nothing but rumors, and if Gauthier wanted PK gone, I'm pretty sure he would have pulled the trigger even if it meant getting a weaker return. He didn't have a problem doing it for other players. Also, you don't even know if it was an actual heads up deal. You also make another assumption in thinking that, if this rumor was indeed true, the Flyers refused it based on the fact that they don't think PK is that good. That the fact Couturier is still signed to 1.3M for 2 extra years, as opposed to PK needing to be re-signed with a big raise has nothing to do with it.
Really, what's your beef with PK? Because your post is quite lame.

Didn't Doughty hold out and signed a deal late in LA because he wanted more cash?? Then he was criticized for not being in shape, not living up to expectations and just being greedy. The year after he won the cup.

I really don't understand why anybody would ''hate'' PK. Really. What's the problem here? You think he's overrated?? ok, so? How do we go from that to him not even being worth 4.5M when Gorges makes 3.9M?? Explain that one to me please.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
If you could guarantee Seth Jones I understand the logic.

But even then, we'd be better off intentionally tanking to try and pair Subban with Jones rather than only have one.

But really, the only reason we should even consider trading Subban is if he wants to be traded.
And no matter how good Jones has looked, there's no guarantee he'll even become as good as PK in the NHL.
The only guarantee we have is that if we retain PK, we get a star player. That's all we know for a fact.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malreg View Post
No. 7 years for UFA's, 8 years for your own UFA's.
Doesn't have to be YOUR UFA player can be RFA or 1 year left on his contract.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Not sure where you get your info but PK though confident, has a humble side I have heard him on more than one occasion make fun of himself...not something you hear from somebody considering themselves a "god".

Not sure where you get your info on Couturier, but I have never heard of Subban being offered to anybody. I like Couturier but he doesn't have the potential impact a guy like PK does, Homgren and Co know it that's why they got Pronger and tried to get Weber, you can't win without talent on defense.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:57 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
You can't sign Price, Pacioretty, and Gorges to long term deals then put the brakes on with PK.

I have faith that Bergevin has this dossier under control, he's a young , unique, high profile player firmly belonging in the "necessary" category.
they all had short deals before their long term deal

Closed Thread