HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Chicago Wolves Discussion - Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 06:14 PM
orcatown

vCash: 500
So typical of Sweatt - has Rodin wide open for a pass and open net but shoots puck off goalie's pads and tend whiffs on rebound

Old
01-06-2013, 06:15 PM
timw33

Glad we have Sterling and Haydar now. With the talent drain going on they should flourish.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:20 PM
orcatown

Second for Joslin

Old
01-06-2013, 06:28 PM
orcatown

Connauton takes brain dead penalty

Old
01-06-2013, 06:29 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Hoping for the younger players - Longpre, Rodin, Friesen, Connauton - to truly emerge and break out as well, now that the elite talent is getting called up.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:32 PM
orcatown

Gordon with an open netter

Old
01-06-2013, 06:38 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 507
Good start for the Wolves without Kassian and company.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Good start for the Wolves without Kassian and company.
They're playing against one of the worst teams in the league, keep that in mind. OKC were not a playoff team with Eberle, RNH, Hall, and Schultz. Imagine how bad they are now. The real test are going to be the Ice Hogs and other similar teams that didn't get that much weaker.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:45 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
They're playing against one of the worst teams in the league, keep that in mind. OKC were not a playoff team with Eberle, RNH, Hall, and Schultz. Imagine how bad they are now. The real test are going to be the Ice Hogs and other similar teams that didn't get that much weaker.
Look at it as a confidence boosting game.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Buffalo In A Carwash

Yeah, I think Joslin nearly getting a hatty shows you how bad they really are

But anyways, its good to see them step up.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:10 PM
orcatown

Hard to make too much out of game against the hapless Oilers. (only had Green really) but some players stepped up.

Rodin - buzzing all night. real good forecheck and created lots of chances

Matheson very solid - real strong in his own end. didn't know he could play this well.

Gordon - little weak on the face offs but was the best player overall. Line with him, Sterling and Haydar had an excellent game. Diluted League might well mean they are back in their comfort zone.

Friesen - plugged away and did a much better job on the forecheck. Played with confidence and actually got a point.

Hunt - excellent on PP and using his body effectively. Very nice effort.

Climie - provided solid goal-tending - Lot better than the Oiler goalie

Archibald - did some good bull work in the offensive end and defensively responsible. However, skating an issue at times

Andersson - did a good job in general - had to in order to cover up for the horrible play of Connauton. I'm saying right now he is better prospect than Coannauton

Ugly side

Connauton - people like MS have written him off long ago but I cling to hope. But its hard when you see him play like this and maybe I should start listening. So much wrong. No awareness on defense and just fundamentally awful. On one play he let's long rebound drift back thru his legs and while staring off into space and Oiler pounds it in. In other words not seeing puck and not seeing check. You can't play midget hockey like this. But not just the one play. Long aimless passes out his end, skating into traffic and losing the puck, terrible coverage in his own end. Without Tanev to cover his butt, Connauton was absolutely exposed.

The Wolves played a good game but had to overcome Connauton. He was just incompetent. If the Canucks can package him in a trade they are well advised to do so at this point.

Sweatt - tunnel vision and no stick. Guy is a skater but not a hockey player. Any type of puck movement on his part and his line starts scoring. Felt sorry for Rodin who did everything to get Sweatt set up with the puck only to have Sweatt turn it over. Lots of the odd man rushes the Oilers got were because of slack and clueless play by Sweatt

Schneider - just a lethargic skater Looks like he has 30 lb weighs on his feet. Plods around like a senior citizen

New guy Miller didn't look very strong and was pushed off puck easily. Hopefully can find better than him.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:17 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Thanks orcatown. Not surprising to hear that many - veterans especially - got much better after the quality of the league got weaker. At least we got a look at who was a viable call-up option and who wasn't while it lasted. Disappointing to hear that about Connauton though. Perhaps the forward option might still be his last hope?

Old
01-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Lundface

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Hard to make too much out of game against the hapless Oilers. (only had Green really) but some players stepped up.

Rodin - buzzing all night. real good forecheck and created lots of chances

Matheson very solid - real strong in his own end. didn't know he could play this well.

Gordon - little weak on the face offs but was the best player overall. Line with him, Sterling and Haydar had an excellent game. Diluted League might well mean they are back in their comfort zone.

Friesen - plugged away and did a much better job on the forecheck. Played with confidence and actually got a point.

Hunt - excellent on PP and using his body effectively. Very nice effort.

Climie - provided solid goal-tending - Lot better than the Oiler goalie

Archibald - did some good bull work in the offensive end and defensively responsible. However, skating an issue at times

Andersson - did a good job in general - had to in order to cover up for the horrible play of Connauton. I'm saying right now he is better prospect than Coannauton

Ugly side

Connauton - people like MS have written him off long ago but I cling to hope. But its hard when you see him play like this and maybe I should start listening. So much wrong. No awareness on defense and just fundamentally awful. On one play he let's long rebound drift back thru his legs and while staring off into space and Oiler pounds it in. In other words not seeing puck and not seeing check. You can't play midget hockey like this. But not just the one play. Long aimless passes out his end, skating into traffic and losing the puck, terrible coverage in his own end. Without Tanev to cover his butt, Connauton was absolutely exposed.

The Wolves played a good game but had to overcome Connauton. He was just incompetent. If the Canucks can package him in a trade they are well advised to do so at this point.

Sweatt - tunnel vision and no stick. Guy is a skater but not a hockey player. Any type of puck movement on his part and his line starts scoring. Felt sorry for Rodin who did everything to get Sweatt set up with the puck only to have Sweatt turn it over. Lots of the odd man rushes the Oilers got were because of slack and clueless play by Sweatt

Schneider - just a lethargic skater Looks like he has 30 lb weighs on his feet. Plods around like a senior citizen

New guy Miller didn't look very strong and was pushed off puck easily. Hopefully can find better than him.
I've said this before as well. I have Andersson above Polasek, Sauve and Connauton. He's a big guy, with good mobility and plays a safe game. In my opinion he has a chance as a 6/7 guy in the NHL one day if he continues to improve.

Will be interesting to see how Price/Mcnally/Hutton do when they see time in the AHL.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Southern_Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Glad we have Sterling and Haydar now. With the talent drain going on they should flourish.
When the Wolves signed Haydar the year before, I thought he was a dynamic offensive player at the AHL level due to his pedigree, and although I listened to many games last season, I only watched 2 or 3. This season I have watched quite a few, and I would describe Haydar's game as selfish shots from mostly impossible angles that maybe capitalize on poor AHL goaltending plus little to no commitment to defence. How did this Kolanos-like player get selected as captain?

When they signed Sterling, I thought, "Why do they need an another undersized career AHL winger?". Well, after watching him play, Sterling could play on my team anytime - scoring touch, perserverance, and total hustle offence and defence - head and shoulders above Haydar. Clearly, he should be the captain.

S_C

Old
01-06-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
I've said this before as well. I have Andersson above Polasek, Sauve and Connauton. He's a big guy, with good mobility and plays a safe game. In my opinion he has a chance as a 6/7 guy in the NHL one day if he continues to improve.

Will be interesting to see how Price/Mcnally/Hutton do when they see time in the AHL.
Price could appear on the Wolves as soon as his NCAA season ends. McNally is not as certain, IMO, but theoretically he could show up tomorrow. Hutton I'm guessing will play one more season, maybe two, and then get out of Maine for the A.

I had high hopes for Polasek, so I'd like to see how he handles a regular spot on the Wolves. It seems he was always being platooned last year.

A glut of young D prospects (or suspects) heading our way . . . and that's not even counting Tommernes next year, or McEneny whenever he turns 20.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:29 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
Price could appear on the Wolves as soon as his NCAA season ends. McNally is not as certain, IMO, but theoretically he could show up tomorrow. Hutton I'm guessing will play one more season, maybe two, and then get out of Maine for the A.

I had high hopes for Polasek, so I'd like to see how he handles a regular spot on the Wolves. It seems he was always being platooned last year.

A glut of young D prospects (or suspects) heading our way . . . and that's not even counting Tommernes next year, or McEneny whenever he turns 20.
It'll be exciting to see Price, McNally (uncertain as he is), Polasek and Corrado together on the Wolves next year.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:39 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
It'll be exciting to see Price, McNally (uncertain as he is), Polasek and Corrado together on the Wolves next year.
I don't think Corrado will be on the Wolves next year. Pretty sure he's already a better player than Ballard.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Hansen 36
mfw snitch

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
I don't think Corrado will be on the Wolves next year. Pretty sure he's already a better player than Ballard.
I'm a massive supporter of Corrado and have been since the draft, but I don't think he'll make the team next year. He will likely be the first call-up if any of our RHD's get injured though. He will make it at some level the year after I think.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:02 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
Maybe so.

But I think 25+ mins in the AHL will help him become even better.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Canucker

Lets take the Corrado love down a notch...he's not better than Ballard.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:19 PM
stevecanuck16

vCash: 50
Sorry if this has been asked, but does anyone know why Connauton played tonight while the other 4 "recalled" did not?

Old
01-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Lets take the Corrado love down a notch...he's not better than Ballard.
Actually, I think he might be. At least he won't be in AV's doghouse.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:26 PM
WolfKeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
Sorry if this has been asked, but does anyone know why Connauton played tonight while the other 4 "recalled" did not?
I just saw the scratch list and didn't see any defensemen listed that weren't injured.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Britton

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
Because realistically he has no shot at making the team and is probably only being used in the main camp to add an extra body on defense.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Spectrefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britton View Post
Because realistically he has no shot at making the team and is probably only being used in the main camp to add an extra body on defense.
If they just needed another body, they could've pulled up some scrub like Joslin. I agree that Connauton will very likely be back down with the Wolves at the end of camp, but I do think the Canucks want to see how he'd perform as a call-up. As it stands, Connauton is the Canuck's number one call-up from the AHL.

Closed Thread