HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Players and Owners reach an agreement (MOD: circa 5am ET 1/6/13)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2013, 07:18 PM
  #326
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 21,914
vCash: 500
What does the salary retention in trades mean?

__________________

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:23 PM
  #327
helicecopter
Registered User
 
helicecopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: give me higher shots
Posts: 7,976
vCash: 500
thanks guys for the quick and the effective replies.

now quite satisfied for today, time to sleep here in the central european time night.

helicecopter is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:24 PM
  #328
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
What does the salary retention in trades mean?
You can now trade a player, but agree to be on the hook for X% of the player's remaining salary. The two restrictions are:

1. You may not retain more than $3M per year for any one player going the other way.
2. You may not retain more than $5M per year in total for all players going the other way.

Whatever amount you retain in actual dollars also counts against your salary cap.

Crease is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:25 PM
  #329
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
What does the salary retention in trades mean?
It means that if Team A trades a $5m player to Team B, Team A can still pay $3m of the player's salary and keep $3m of the cap hit, while Team B is only responsible for paying $2m of the player's salary and have a $2m cap hit.

Research the way Jagr's contract was handled after the 04-05 lockout.

Tawnos is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:27 PM
  #330
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 21,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
You can now trade a player, but agree to be on the hook for X% of the player's remaining salary. The two restrictions are:

1. You may not retain more than $3M per year for any one player going the other way.
2. You may not retain more than $5M per year in total for all players going the other way.

Whatever amount you retain in actual dollars also counts against your salary cap.
That's what I was wondering about. So it's not just retaining partial salary, it's retaining partial cap hit?

Thanks!

Cloned is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:31 PM
  #331
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
It's not de-linked per se because no matter what the ceiling is set to, the players are still guaranteed only 50% of HRR for that season. Escrow is not capped so any artificial increase to the ceiling is moot as far as total player share is concerned.
I had this response in the confirmation thread (stupidly. Should have put it here. sorry about that Crease).

There are two types of linkage that people often confuse. One pertains the the amount of money the players get out of total revenue, in this case 50%. That number is ensured by escrow from both the league and from the players.

The second is the methodology in determining the cap floor and ceiling based on a midpoint. So yes, there is delinkage in determining the midpoint, but only if revenue is below $3.378B.

Tawnos is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:31 PM
  #332
ti-vite
Registered User
 
ti-vite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,076
vCash: 500
A few items I still am wondering how will end up;

- AHL / minor league contracts over 100,000$ ; in team CAP or not?
- Waivers one way or two-way?
- Roster limits? (just to confirm)
- Bonus structure

ti-vite is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:37 PM
  #333
DopeyFish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,002
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite View Post
A few items I still am wondering how will end up;

- AHL / minor league contracts over 100,000$ ; in team CAP or not?
- Waivers one way or two-way?
- Roster limits? (just to confirm)
- Bonus structure
First one is nhl minimum plus $300,000 or so (so it changes every year) counts against cap

DopeyFish is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:38 PM
  #334
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite View Post
A few items I still am wondering how will end up;

- AHL / minor league contracts over 100,000$ ; in team CAP or not?
Brooks was reporting earlier that deals in other leagues over the league minimum plus $375k will count on the cap. I haven't seen a second source, so who knows on confirmation. So if Brooks is right, the current number is cap hit over $900k. In Wade Redden's case, he's got a hit of $6.5m, so he would hit the cap at $5.6m if he were in the minors.

I've also read that the league minimum will be $750k by the end of the deal, so the threshold would get higher there too.

Tawnos is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:41 PM
  #335
DopeyFish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,002
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Brooks was reporting earlier that deals in other leagues over the league minimum plus $375k will count on the cap. I haven't seen a second source, so who knows on confirmation. So if Brooks is right, the current number is cap hit over $900k. In Wade Redden's case, he's got a hit of $6.5m, so he would hit the cap at $5.6m if he were in the minors.

I've also read that the league minimum will be $750k by the end of the deal, so the threshold would get higher there too.
I think the whole contract hits NHL cap if the contract is over that amount, not just whatever is after that amount.

DopeyFish is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:44 PM
  #336
Capsized
Parity is a Disease
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,388
vCash: 500
Only 8 years until the next lockout where the owners cry poor and want the players to bail out the continually failing teams. Maybe I will tune in after that lockout....

Capsized is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:46 PM
  #337
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyFish View Post
I think the whole contract hits NHL cap if the contract is over that amount, not just whatever is after that amount.
No, they've been discussing just the amount over the threshold pretty much the whole time. Maybe that changed last minute, but I doubt it. Actually, what's more of a question is whether they're talking about the $900k off the cap hit or off the player's actual salary for that season.

Tawnos is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:47 PM
  #338
ti-vite
Registered User
 
ti-vite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Brooks was reporting earlier that deals in other leagues over the league minimum plus $375k will count on the cap. I haven't seen a second source, so who knows on confirmation. So if Brooks is right, the current number is cap hit over $900k. In Wade Redden's case, he's got a hit of $6.5m, so he would hit the cap at $5.6m if he were in the minors.

I've also read that the league minimum will be $750k by the end of the deal, so the threshold would get higher there too.
So retired players will have cost against cap if they retire with years remaining or/and go play in another league?

ti-vite is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:47 PM
  #339
Lazyking
Never Forget
 
Lazyking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 3,591
vCash: 500
So guys, scheduale and Game length by Tuesday?

Lazyking is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:50 PM
  #340
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite View Post
So retired players will have cost against cap if they retire with years remaining or/and go play in another league?
Retirement requires filing retirement paperwork with the league, so I'm not sure how that's going to work. Naslund did that a few years ago. Retired with a year left on his deal with the Rangers and played one season in the SEL afterwards.

And there might also be a cap recapture aspect for guys on long term deals who retire before the end of it, but I haven't seen word of that in the final deal yet.

Tawnos is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:53 PM
  #341
ti-vite
Registered User
 
ti-vite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Retirement requires filing retirement paperwork with the league, so I'm not sure how that's going to work. Naslund did that a few years ago. Retired with a year left on his deal with the Rangers and played one season in the SEL afterwards.

And there might also be a cap recapture aspect for guys on long term deals who retire before the end of it, but I haven't seen word of that in the final deal yet.
Its that sort of back diving stuff (retire at low salary, but higher cap hit contract) and go play in Europe type of stuff I want to see how it all sorted out. Thanks for your replies.

Agreed that the contract limits will control this a bit, but we can now expect more of these type of contracts for lower tier players...

ti-vite is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 08:17 PM
  #342
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
Only 8 years until the next lockout where the owners cry poor and want the players to bail out the continually failing teams. Maybe I will tune in after that lockout....
schminksbro watch in bars and don't buy any merch.

Melrose Munch is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 08:45 PM
  #343
LarmerSavardSecord
Registered User
 
LarmerSavardSecord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wicker Park
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
All the bravado was hilarious. Fans want to punish the people that give them their fix for delaying their fix by not getting their fix when they offer their fix up again. A few months doesn’t change long-programmed behavior.

As for the casual fan, what’s the big deal? The NHL season is way too long, only 4 months off. These fans hardly noticed it was gone and now there’s still six-month season to join just as the NFL and CFB are winding down. Now is the time they pick it up anyway..

It will be business as usual by March, record revenues next year.

LarmerSavardSecord is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 09:02 PM
  #344
Capsized
Parity is a Disease
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
schminksbro watch in bars and don't buy any merch.
Only if Bettman were gone but that isn't gonna happen.

Capsized is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 09:08 PM
  #345
du5566*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
Only 8 years until the next lockout where the owners cry poor and want the players to bail out the continually failing teams. Maybe I will tune in after that lockout....
Haha, you know you're going to watch the NHL.

du5566* is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 09:21 PM
  #346
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,896
vCash: 500
Questions about salary retention in trades.

Say Phoenix trades a seventh round pick to Montreal for Joe Schmoe. He's owed 4.5m, 5.0m, and 5.5m over the next three years, which are the last of his current contract.

What are Montreal's options here? Can they agree to retain three million in each year of the final three years? Can they retain three million in only the first year? Maybe retain three, then two, then one?

How would Montreal's cap hit be affected by these options? Is the cap hit determined by each dollar paid? I it tied directly? If Montreal pays only three million and only in the first year what does that do for the cap? Three million hit in year one? One million hit for all three years?

I'm just wondering how this can be structured.

Thanks.

__________________
This poster should not be taken seriously under any circumstances.
rt is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 09:33 PM
  #347
vsk92
Alltid IFK
 
vsk92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Scotland.
Country: Finland
Posts: 6,846
vCash: 500
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
NHL sends memo to clubs indicating no camps before Saturday (and may not open until Monday), 48-game season to begin Jan. 19

vsk92 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 09:45 PM
  #348
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Questions about salary retention in trades.

Say Phoenix trades a seventh round pick to Montreal for Joe Schmoe. He's owed 4.5m, 5.0m, and 5.5m over the next three years, which are the last of his current contract.

What are Montreal's options here? Can they agree to retain three million in each year of the final three years? Can they retain three million in only the first year? Maybe retain three, then two, then one?

How would Montreal's cap hit be affected by these options? Is the cap hit determined by each dollar paid? I it tied directly? If Montreal pays only three million and only in the first year what does that do for the cap? Three million hit in year one? One million hit for all three years?

I'm just wondering how this can be structured.

Thanks.
According to the limited details released, Montreal could offer to retain 50% of the cap charge for the remainder of the contract. When Phoenix accepts, Montreal's Cap gets charged 2.5M per year for next three years, Phoenix's Cap gets charged 2.5M per year for the player's services, and Montreal reimburses Phoenix with 50% of actual player compensation for the remainder of the deal.

In the NHL's October offer, the limit was that the team trading the player away could only retain the lesser of 50% of the cap hit or $3M. In this example, $3 would exceed 50% of AAV so the most Montreal could offer to retain is 50% or $2.5M per year.

Crease is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 10:20 PM
  #349
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
According to the limited details released, Montreal could offer to retain 50% of the cap charge for the remainder of the contract. When Phoenix accepts, Montreal's Cap gets charged 2.5M per year for next three years, Phoenix's Cap gets charged 2.5M per year for the player's services, and Montreal reimburses Phoenix with 50% of actual player compensation for the remainder of the deal.

In the NHL's October offer, the limit was that the team trading the player away could only retain the lesser of 50% of the cap hit or $3M. In this example, $3 would exceed 50% of AAV so the most Montreal could offer to retain is 50% or $2.5M per year.
Thanks for the answers. Really appreciated. Any idea if in this scenario Montreal could offer to retain 50% of the cap charge for just one of the three seasons? Or how about 10% in each of the three years? How about variability? Like 50%, then 25% and 10% in the final year?

rt is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 10:37 PM
  #350
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Thanks for the answers. Really appreciated. Any idea if in this scenario Montreal could offer to retain 50% of the cap charge for just one of the three seasons? Or how about 10% in each of the three years? How about variability? Like 50%, then 25% and 10% in the final year?
No word on that yet. But that type of flexibility was not part of the NHL's introductory proposal for salary retention.

Crease is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.