HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Players and Owners reach an agreement (MOD: circa 5am ET 1/6/13)

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

vCash: 500
What does the salary retention in trades mean?

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
01-06-2013, 07:23 PM
helicecopter

thanks guys for the quick and the effective replies.

now quite satisfied for today, time to sleep here in the central european time night.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:24 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
You can now trade a player, but agree to be on the hook for X% of the player's remaining salary. The two restrictions are:

1. You may not retain more than $3M per year for any one player going the other way.
2. You may not retain more than $5M per year in total for all players going the other way.

Whatever amount you retain in actual dollars also counts against your salary cap.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
It means that if Team A trades a $5m player to Team B, Team A can still pay $3m of the player's salary and keep $3m of the cap hit, while Team B is only responsible for paying $2m of the player's salary and have a $2m cap hit.

Research the way Jagr's contract was handled after the 04-05 lockout.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
You can now trade a player, but agree to be on the hook for X% of the player's remaining salary. The two restrictions are:

1. You may not retain more than $3M per year for any one player going the other way.
2. You may not retain more than $5M per year in total for all players going the other way.

Whatever amount you retain in actual dollars also counts against your salary cap.
That's what I was wondering about. So it's not just retaining partial salary, it's retaining partial cap hit?

Thanks!

Old
01-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
It's not de-linked per se because no matter what the ceiling is set to, the players are still guaranteed only 50% of HRR for that season. Escrow is not capped so any artificial increase to the ceiling is moot as far as total player share is concerned.
I had this response in the confirmation thread (stupidly. Should have put it here. sorry about that Crease).

There are two types of linkage that people often confuse. One pertains the the amount of money the players get out of total revenue, in this case 50%. That number is ensured by escrow from both the league and from the players.

The second is the methodology in determining the cap floor and ceiling based on a midpoint. So yes, there is delinkage in determining the midpoint, but only if revenue is below $3.378B.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:31 PM
ti-vite

A few items I still am wondering how will end up;

- AHL / minor league contracts over 100,000$ ; in team CAP or not?
- Waivers one way or two-way?
- Roster limits? (just to confirm)
- Bonus structure

Old
01-06-2013, 07:37 PM
DopeyFish

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite View Post

- Waivers one way or two-way?
- Roster limits? (just to confirm)
- Bonus structure
First one is nhl minimum plus $300,000 or so (so it changes every year) counts against cap

Old
01-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:

Brooks was reporting earlier that deals in other leagues over the league minimum plus $375k will count on the cap. I haven't seen a second source, so who knows on confirmation. So if Brooks is right, the current number is cap hit over $900k. In Wade Redden's case, he's got a hit of $6.5m, so he would hit the cap at $5.6m if he were in the minors.

I've also read that the league minimum will be $750k by the end of the deal, so the threshold would get higher there too.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:41 PM
DopeyFish

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Brooks was reporting earlier that deals in other leagues over the league minimum plus $375k will count on the cap. I haven't seen a second source, so who knows on confirmation. So if Brooks is right, the current number is cap hit over $900k. In Wade Redden's case, he's got a hit of $6.5m, so he would hit the cap at $5.6m if he were in the minors.

I've also read that the league minimum will be $750k by the end of the deal, so the threshold would get higher there too.
I think the whole contract hits NHL cap if the contract is over that amount, not just whatever is after that amount.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Only 8 years until the next lockout where the owners cry poor and want the players to bail out the continually failing teams. Maybe I will tune in after that lockout....

Old
01-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyFish View Post
I think the whole contract hits NHL cap if the contract is over that amount, not just whatever is after that amount.
No, they've been discussing just the amount over the threshold pretty much the whole time. Maybe that changed last minute, but I doubt it. Actually, what's more of a question is whether they're talking about the $900k off the cap hit or off the player's actual salary for that season.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:47 PM
ti-vite

Quote:

So retired players will have cost against cap if they retire with years remaining or/and go play in another league?

Old
01-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

So guys, scheduale and Game length by Tuesday?

Old
01-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
So retired players will have cost against cap if they retire with years remaining or/and go play in another league?
Retirement requires filing retirement paperwork with the league, so I'm not sure how that's going to work. Naslund did that a few years ago. Retired with a year left on his deal with the Rangers and played one season in the SEL afterwards.

And there might also be a cap recapture aspect for guys on long term deals who retire before the end of it, but I haven't seen word of that in the final deal yet.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:53 PM
ti-vite

Quote:
Retirement requires filing retirement paperwork with the league, so I'm not sure how that's going to work. Naslund did that a few years ago. Retired with a year left on his deal with the Rangers and played one season in the SEL afterwards.

And there might also be a cap recapture aspect for guys on long term deals who retire before the end of it, but I haven't seen word of that in the final deal yet.
Its that sort of back diving stuff (retire at low salary, but higher cap hit contract) and go play in Europe type of stuff I want to see how it all sorted out. Thanks for your replies.

Agreed that the contract limits will control this a bit, but we can now expect more of these type of contracts for lower tier players...

Old
01-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
Only 8 years until the next lockout where the owners cry poor and want the players to bail out the continually failing teams. Maybe I will tune in after that lockout....
schminksbro watch in bars and don't buy any merch.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:45 PM
LarmerSavardSecord

All the bravado was hilarious. Fans want to punish the people that give them their fix for delaying their fix by not getting their fix when they offer their fix up again. A few months doesn’t change long-programmed behavior.

As for the casual fan, what’s the big deal? The NHL season is way too long, only 4 months off. These fans hardly noticed it was gone and now there’s still six-month season to join just as the NFL and CFB are winding down. Now is the time they pick it up anyway..

It will be business as usual by March, record revenues next year.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
schminksbro watch in bars and don't buy any merch.
Only if Bettman were gone but that isn't gonna happen.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:08 PM
du5566*

Quote:
Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
Haha, you know you're going to watch the NHL.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:21 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Questions about salary retention in trades.

Say Phoenix trades a seventh round pick to Montreal for Joe Schmoe. He's owed 4.5m, 5.0m, and 5.5m over the next three years, which are the last of his current contract.

What are Montreal's options here? Can they agree to retain three million in each year of the final three years? Can they retain three million in only the first year? Maybe retain three, then two, then one?

How would Montreal's cap hit be affected by these options? Is the cap hit determined by each dollar paid? I it tied directly? If Montreal pays only three million and only in the first year what does that do for the cap? Three million hit in year one? One million hit for all three years?

I'm just wondering how this can be structured.

Thanks.

01-06-2013, 09:33 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
NHL sends memo to clubs indicating no camps before Saturday (and may not open until Monday), 48-game season to begin Jan. 19

Old
01-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Questions about salary retention in trades.

Say Phoenix trades a seventh round pick to Montreal for Joe Schmoe. He's owed 4.5m, 5.0m, and 5.5m over the next three years, which are the last of his current contract.

What are Montreal's options here? Can they agree to retain three million in each year of the final three years? Can they retain three million in only the first year? Maybe retain three, then two, then one?

How would Montreal's cap hit be affected by these options? Is the cap hit determined by each dollar paid? I it tied directly? If Montreal pays only three million and only in the first year what does that do for the cap? Three million hit in year one? One million hit for all three years?

I'm just wondering how this can be structured.

Thanks.
According to the limited details released, Montreal could offer to retain 50% of the cap charge for the remainder of the contract. When Phoenix accepts, Montreal's Cap gets charged 2.5M per year for next three years, Phoenix's Cap gets charged 2.5M per year for the player's services, and Montreal reimburses Phoenix with 50% of actual player compensation for the remainder of the deal.

In the NHL's October offer, the limit was that the team trading the player away could only retain the lesser of 50% of the cap hit or $3M. In this example, $3 would exceed 50% of AAV so the most Montreal could offer to retain is 50% or $2.5M per year.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:20 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
According to the limited details released, Montreal could offer to retain 50% of the cap charge for the remainder of the contract. When Phoenix accepts, Montreal's Cap gets charged 2.5M per year for next three years, Phoenix's Cap gets charged 2.5M per year for the player's services, and Montreal reimburses Phoenix with 50% of actual player compensation for the remainder of the deal.

In the NHL's October offer, the limit was that the team trading the player away could only retain the lesser of 50% of the cap hit or $3M. In this example, $3 would exceed 50% of AAV so the most Montreal could offer to retain is 50% or $2.5M per year.
Thanks for the answers. Really appreciated. Any idea if in this scenario Montreal could offer to retain 50% of the cap charge for just one of the three seasons? Or how about 10% in each of the three years? How about variability? Like 50%, then 25% and 10% in the final year?

Old
01-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Thanks for the answers. Really appreciated. Any idea if in this scenario Montreal could offer to retain 50% of the cap charge for just one of the three seasons? Or how about 10% in each of the three years? How about variability? Like 50%, then 25% and 10% in the final year?
No word on that yet. But that type of flexibility was not part of the NHL's introductory proposal for salary retention.

Closed Thread