HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

USA WJC Team Prediction 2013-2014

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 02:44 AM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
Here's my very, very early team assuming all players are available:

Forwards (x13):

Nic Kerdiles - Alex Galchenyuk - Riley Barber (A)
Taylor Cammarata - J.T. Compher - Adam Erne
Matt Lane - Danny O'Regan - Ryan Hartman
Stefan Matteau - Brady Vail - Tyler Kelleher
Jack Eichel

Defense (x7):

Matt Grzelcyk - Seth Jones (A)
Patrick Sieloff - Jacob Trouba (C)
Brady Skjei - Ian McCoshen
Connor Carrick

Goalies (x3):

Jon Gillies
Thatcher Demko
Collin Olson

However, I don't fully expect everyone to be available. I think Galchenyuk and Jones will both be in the NHL. Here's my team without them:

Forwards (x13)

Taylor Cammarata - J.T. Compher - Adam Erne
Nic Kerdiles - Tyler Kelleher - Riley Barber (A)
Matt Lane - Danny O'Regan- Ryan Hartman
Stefan Matteau - Brady Vail - Vincent Hinostroza
Jack Eichel

Defense (x7):

Patrick Sieloff (A) - Jacob Trouba (C)
Brady Skjei - Ian McCoshen
Matt Grzelcyk - Steven Santini
Connor Carrick

Goalies (x3):

Jon Gillies
Thatcher Demko
Collin Olson

Notes:

- I don't think Winnipeg is going to rush Trouba with guys like Bogosian, Byfuglien, and Enstrom already in their top 4. Unless they move someone I just don't see why they'd rush him. I think Trouba is ready for the AHL but I don't think he'd leave Michigan after one year to play in the AHL. I think he plays his sophomore year for the Wolverines and then steps into the Winnipeg lineup.

- I agree that Eichel will be the only underage player in play. I hope USAH actually brings him to the summer camp. Either way, I think he's on the team.

- I think, no surprise, that they'll mimic the same type of team they've been putting together recently. That means guys like Samuelsson will have to be even better than others to get in play.

- If, if, Galchenyuk, Jones, and Trouba are all available then this will be a very, very strong team. Obviously we can't expect another Gibson-like performance but I don't think this team would need it if they're at full strength.

- Full lineup: One of the gold medal favorites. Missing Gally/Jones, medal contender. They'd need to get a bit of a scoring by committee approach (much like this year) but I think there would still be enough talent to medal.

01-06-2013, 07:58 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

I think the real key will be coaching. Will Housley get the call again in an attempt to catch lightning in a bottle? Someone else? If so-who? Will it be like Keith Allain following up Dead Blais? Tough to say. I just hope that USA Hockey isn't so myopic that they stubbornly stick to a script if it isn't going to work *this time around*. We'll see.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:17 AM
Exit Dose

I'm dying to see how good Ryan Hartman is next year.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:40 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

also forgot about Justin Bailey from the Kitchener Rangers as another possibility. Currently in his first season of OHL play, he has done fairly well so far and has a 6'4 frame that still needs to fill out. He should be a top 45 pick in the draft this June and depending on the role needed, could be another name to keep an eye on.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:41 PM
razor ray

Will we have a major drop off in goal?

Old
01-07-2013, 08:25 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I think its likely Skjei will make the final team, but both of them are going to have some competition in their way, especially Grzelcyk who will likely have to battle with Connor Carrick and Anthony DeAngelo for that offensive dman spot... but with both being USNDP alum, and both almost making the team this year, I am sure they will be involved somehow next year...hopefully Skjei improves a bunch by then.
Do you have a bias against Boston area kids? Sure seems it as you crapped all over Vesey
this year and you 're already trying to bury Grzelcyk.

First, Grzelyck was kept ahead of Skjei who has been sat a game or two with Minnesota.
So there is nothing to indicate Skjei moves ahead of Grzelyck. That's just your biased opinion.

Secondly, its very unlikely guys like Ebert move ahead of him or dmen a year younger move ahead of him.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor ray View Post
Will we have a major drop off in goal?
I don't think we can expect another Gibson-like performance. Gillies is no slouch though, so I think we'll be in good hands.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:29 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I don't think we can expect another Gibson-like performance. Gillies is no slouch though, so I think we'll be in good hands.
What Gibson did was on par with what Mike Richter did in the '96 WCOH. Its more than likely
we get something a bit closer to McCarron than Gibson.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:38 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowline View Post
Do you have a bias against Boston area kids? Sure seems it as you crapped all over Vesey
this year and you 're already trying to bury Grzelcyk.

First, Grzelyck was kept ahead of Skjei who has been sat a game or two with Minnesota.
So there is nothing to indicate Skjei moves ahead of Grzelyck. That's just your biased opinion.

Secondly, its very unlikely guys like Ebert move ahead of him or dmen a year younger move ahead of him.
yep, you caught me and my anti Massachusetts campaign!

not sure where at all I stated in what you quoted about Grzelcyk being buried. he had a lot of competition this year and did not make the team. if Trouba and Jones are back, he will have just as much competition if not more than this year imo...and the same results could be likely.

next year he will have to fight with 2 kids Anthony DeAngelo and Connor Carrick for that spot on the defense, along with plenty of others, and sorry but both kids are better at that role than he is...has nothing to do with where he is from. Grzelcyk is smaller then DeAngelo for God's sake with less offensive skill...not a good combo. DeAngelo has some issues to fix himself so it isnt a sure thing of him being here, but Grzelcyk needs to step up bigtime as nothing will be easy. and eventhough Grzelcyk is a year older, DeAngelo will have almost 3 years of OHL experience by then...hardly a debate when it comes to experience.

Grzelcyk and Vesey are average players, every team needs guys like them but your acting like both of them are the next coming of Guerin and Ryan Whitney (first dman and forward from Mass that came to my head)...

Skjei is bigger, has more hype, and is a first round pick...sometimes that does weigh in on some of these decisions depending upon how much pressure a team's GM gives a guy like Johnasson..I think if Skjei plays the way he has been capable of next year, it really wont be close between him and Grzelcyk...but thats up to Skjei and not me.

As for Ebert, I just mentioned his name. he has a ton to work on and would be a long shot right now but he has size and skill that could benefit if both Trouba and Jones are gone.

these kids have a lot to work for next year, but its just my opinion that Grzelcyk is going to have a fight on his hands IF BOTH TROUBA AND JONES are still here...Carrick, DeAngelo, and Skjei are not going to be easy to pass over for Grzelcyk imo.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:59 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

I'd definitely take Grzelcyk over Carrick or DeAngelo at this point. Perhaps in a year that'll change though.

Despite the fact that everyone seems to be big on him I'd need to see a lot of improvement in DeAngelo's game before I could see him on next year's team. He's got some remarkable skill but he's a major liability defensively and he's undisciplined and selfish on the ice.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:15 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

it is always going to be hard to judge between CHL and NCAA defensemen as they are completely different leagues and styles. DeAngelo has his issues no doubt, but his upside is huge as well. If team USA needs that homerun hitter, he is their guy. The same fear was there for Mike Reilly who really stepped up and played solid defense though I think it minimized his offensive game though. DeAngelo could be the same.

I get to see more OHL vs ECAC or Hockey East so I might be a bit biased in a sense, but in a years time I think Connor Carrick and Anthony DeAngelo are going to be two kids that are going to be major players for this US team as they can either make the squad or will really push some others to step their game up if they want that spot.

Grzelcyk is a good player, but he is on the small side for dmen and his skills arent elite...its just my opinion but I think he has a tough fight ahead to make this team next year.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:56 PM
WarriorofTime

Seth Jones and Alex Galchenyuk will both be in the NHL in my opinion. It will be tough next year without those guys but a year ago I would have predicted this year's squad to struggle so we'll have to see if new guys can step up. Look forward to seeing the NDTP play in the Under-18s later this year to see the next batch of US hockey talent.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Seth Jones and Alex Galchenyuk will both be in the NHL in my opinion. It will be tough next year without those guys but a year ago I would have predicted this year's squad to struggle so we'll have to see if new guys can step up. Look forward to seeing the NDTP play in the Under-18s later this year to see the next batch of US hockey talent.
I think that's the likeliest scenario but you never know.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:22 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I must have forgotten about my anti Massachusetts stance as I somehow snuck Jack Eichel on my team as well!! oh darn, too late to change it now!

Old
01-08-2013, 08:09 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 10000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I'd be surprised if Grzelcyk isn't on the team. He almost made it this year, and he's only going to improve. Here's my stab at the roster, assuming Jones and Galchenyuk will be in the NHL:

Forwards-Hartman, O'Regan, Cammarata, Barber, Matteau, Erne, Vail, Kerdiles, Kurker, Compher, Stepan, McCarron, Samuelsson

Defense-Trouba, Sieloff, Skjei, Grzlecyk, DeAngelo, Blujus, McCoshen

Goalies-Gillies, Stolarz, Demko

Old
01-09-2013, 02:37 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
yep, you caught me and my anti Massachusetts campaign!

not sure where at all I stated in what you quoted about Grzelcyk being buried. he had a lot of competition this year and did not make the team. if Trouba and Jones are back, he will have just as much competition if not more than this year imo...and the same results could be likely.

next year he will have to fight with 2 kids Anthony DeAngelo and Connor Carrick for that spot on the defense, along with plenty of others, and sorry but both kids are better at that role than he is...has nothing to do with where he is from. Grzelcyk is smaller then DeAngelo for God's sake with less offensive skill...not a good combo. DeAngelo has some issues to fix himself so it isnt a sure thing of him being here, but Grzelcyk needs to step up bigtime as nothing will be easy. and eventhough Grzelcyk is a year older, DeAngelo will have almost 3 years of OHL experience by then...hardly a debate when it comes to experience.

Grzelcyk and Vesey are average players, every team needs guys like them but your acting like both of them are the next coming of Guerin and Ryan Whitney (first dman and forward from Mass that came to my head)...

Skjei is bigger, has more hype, and is a first round pick...sometimes that does weigh in on some of these decisions depending upon how much pressure a team's GM gives a guy like Johnasson..I think if Skjei plays the way he has been capable of next year, it really wont be close between him and Grzelcyk...but thats up to Skjei and not me.

As for Ebert, I just mentioned his name. he has a ton to work on and would be a long shot right now but he has size and skill that could benefit if both Trouba and Jones are gone.

these kids have a lot to work for next year, but its just my opinion that Grzelcyk is going to have a fight on his hands IF BOTH TROUBA AND JONES are still here...Carrick, DeAngelo, and Skjei are not going to be easy to pass over for Grzelcyk imo.
In case you missed the memo Grzelcyk was rated ahead of Skjei. Skjei was cut ahead of Grzelcyk.
You are famous for overrating big US dman and your advocacy for Skjei, Merrill and Forbort
are Exhibits 1, 2 & 3.

Being a first round pick and having "hype " means zero. Just ask Skjei who was let go before
Grzelcyk.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Xokkeu

Don't take it personally or anything.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:06 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
In case you missed the memo Grzelcyk was rated ahead of Skjei. Skjei was cut ahead of Grzelcyk.
You are famous for overrating big US dman and your advocacy for Skjei, Merrill and Forbort
are Exhibits 1, 2 & 3.

Being a first round pick and having "hype " means zero. Just ask Skjei who was let go before
Grzelcyk.
I missed the memo? So just because Grzelcyk was cut one player after Skjei, in your warped mind he simply cant lose out on a roster spot an entire year fron now to Skjei...

Where have I advocated Skjei and pimped him to the roof? I am also not sure how I have overrated Merrill and Forbort at all as both are doing just fine on their own...I have actually been down on Forbort this past year, but nice try again.

Being a first round pick and having hype does sometimes matter when selection process comes around as a player like Skjei who will be in his last year to play for the US will always be labeled as a first round pick whether you like it or not. I am not saying it happens all the time, but players drafted in the first round on their last year of eligibility for team USA rarely do not get picked for this team...assuming they have another year of eligibility after their draft year.

Your obsession with Skjei and Grzelcyk is quite annoying to say the least as it is meaningless to argue over 2 players THAT DID NOT MAKE THE TEAM...There is a lot of time between now and when this tourney begins, save some of your obsession for when we get closer to actually being able to debate these kids.

Last edited by AmericanDream: 01-09-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old
01-09-2013, 03:47 PM
WarriorofTime

My wacky prediction: Skjei and Grzelcyk will both be on the next year's roster.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:29 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
My wacky prediction: Skjei and Grzelcyk will both be on the next year's roster.
uh oh....just had to throw that monkey wrench in there did ya!!

Old
01-09-2013, 04:48 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Forwards (x27):

Riley Barber
Taylor Cammarata
Cole Cassels
J.T. Compher
Thomas Di Pauli
Jack Eichel
Adam Erne
Hudson Fasching
Ryan Fitzgerald
Alex Galchenyuk
Ryan Hartman
Vincent Hinostroza
Connor Hurley
Luke Johnson
Tyler Kelleher
Nic Kerdiles
Matt Lane
Jimmy Lodge
Anthony Louis
Sean Malone
Stefan Matteau
Tyler Motte
Cristoval Nieves
Daniel O'Regan
Henrik Samuelsson
Quentin Shore
Brady Vail
As a Caps fan I want to know about difference between him and Austin Wuthrich. It looked like Wuthrich was off to a better start this year. Thanks in advance.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:05 PM
wings5

I posted this in the us roster thread before : right now based on his play Hartman would obviously be higher on this team, he surprised me.

Kerdiles-Cammarata-Matteau
Nieves-O'Regan-Barber
Erne-Vail-Compher
Koules-Hartman-Kelleher
Eichel (Kurker, Machechern, Calnan, Toninato)

Seiloff-Trouba
Grzelcyk-McCoshen
Skjei-Carrick
Santini

Gillies
Stolarz
Demko

Old
01-10-2013, 02:58 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
I missed the memo? So just because Grzelcyk was cut one player after Skjei, in your warped mind he simply cant lose out on a roster spot an entire year fron now to Skjei...

Where have I advocated Skjei and pimped him to the roof? I am also not sure how I have overrated Merrill and Forbort at all as both are doing just fine on their own...I have actually been down on Forbort this past year, but nice try again.

Being a first round pick and having hype does sometimes matter when selection process comes around as a player like Skjei who will be in his last year to play for the US will always be labeled as a first round pick whether you like it or not. I am not saying it happens all the time, but players drafted in the first round on their last year of eligibility for team USA rarely do not get picked for this team...assuming they have another year of eligibility after their draft year.

Your obsession with Skjei and Grzelcyk is quite annoying to say the least as it is meaningless to argue over 2 players THAT DID NOT MAKE THE TEAM...There is a lot of time between now and when this tourney begins, save some of your obsession for when we get closer to actually being able to debate these kids.
I wasn't the one pushing Skjei ahead of Grzelcyk. You were as you said so in your post.

I clearly remember you posting in Merrill 's draft year he was a "GUARANTEED " 1st round pick. In fact you had him going in the top half of Round 1. He went in round 2.

I'm not "obsessing " about anything. I'm simply pointing out your clear bias against Grzelcyk.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:08 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
I wasn't the one pushing Skjei ahead of Grzelcyk. You were as you said so in your post.

I clearly remember you posting in Merrill 's draft year he was a "GUARANTEED " 1st round pick. In fact you had him going in the top half of Round 1. He went in round 2.

I'm not "obsessing " about anything. I'm simply pointing out your clear bias against Grzelcyk.
you clearly have issues as you have been booted off HF and now have to go by another name....bravo sir

and by most experts opinion, if they redid the draft, Merrill would go top half of the draft if done today..at worst top 20.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:10 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

with Matteau looking at minimum to be in the NHL for 5 games this year, one has to assume that he would likely make the Devils out of camp next year if he doesnt stick this year meaning he would likely not be let go to play for the US next year taking away another potential top player for the US (Galchenyuk and Jones perhaps).

Would be tough to repeat missing some of our top 94's.

Closed Thread