HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Big collision/head and neck question

Old
01-06-2013, 01:20 PM
teal

vCash: 500
Big collision/head and neck question

So, I was in a big collision in a game today, it was basically face-to-face and my head felt like it was hit pretty badly. My head itself honestly feels fine, mostly it's my neck that hurts... it basically feels like a strain on the left side near the base on the back of my head. Aside from ice, rest, etc. is there anything I should be doing/be aware of? Just want to make sure I take care of myself properly.

teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Keep it as still as possible, and because it was a head injury I SERIOUSLY recommend seeing a doctor first thing tomorrow just to get the all clear.

Look out for signs of confusion, nausea, vomiting and fatigue which could be signs of concussion or even worse, compression.

You're probably fine, but its better to be safe than sorry. The injury will probably wear down within 24/48 hours...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Propane Nightmares
TIA bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
Keep it as still as possible, and because it was a head injury I SERIOUSLY recommend seeing a doctor first thing tomorrow just to get the all clear.

Look out for signs of confusion, nausea, vomiting and fatigue which could be signs of concussion or even worse, compression.

You're probably fine, but its better to be safe than sorry. The injury will probably wear down within 24/48 hours...
Ooh get you doctor Bevis remember you're just a doctor's driver, not a real doctor

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:10 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I had a collision about 6 weeks ago where someone skated backwards into me and knocked me back onto the ice. My head went back, hit the ice, and I just sat there for a minute or so thinking 'hmm, I wonder if that will be a concussion?' But I felt fine, no dizziness or anything.

The next morning when I woke up I realized that while my head didn't hurt, my neck did. The muscles on either side of my neck were strained when my head went back. It took about 5-6 days for it to go away completely.

Your collision sounds a bit harder than mine, I'd probably see a dr - and be watching for signs of a concussion. I was watching for them as well and more importantly, I warned my husband that if I started acting 'off' in any way, to take me to the dr.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:59 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
Ooh get you doctor Bevis remember you're just a doctor's driver, not a real doctor
He's actually completely right. Mom's a nurse and that is exactly what she would recommend.

See a doctor just in case. It is needed, trust me.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Propane Nightmares
TIA bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
He's actually completely right. Mom's a nurse and that is exactly what she would recommend.

See a doctor just in case. It is needed, trust me.
Haha I know I'm joking, I know him IRL

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:27 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Haha I know I'm joking, I know him IRL
Ahh, makes sense my bad haha.

To the OP at least you kept your head up? Haha, try to keep it light but definitley see a doctor.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Cattman
Laughing Skulls HC

Just rub some dirt on it and drink more beer!

Cattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:00 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

The safe answer is, of course, to see a doctor.

The not-as-safe answer is to wait and see what changes next. Maybe it was just the edge of your helmet being forced against your neck, causing some compression and internal bruising. In that case it should clear up in a few days. Maybe get some topical cream to reduce the pain.

If it gets worse, DEFINITELY see a doctor. You don't want to wait until you have to call an ambulance. In particular, keep an eye out for swelling.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm nowhere near a doctor, but if you didn't black out, see stars, and don't feel any different today or the next couple days, I'm pretty sure you didn't get a concussion. I've gotten hit hard in the head a handful of times and outside of my own paranoia, absolutely no concussion symptoms.

On the other hand, you could have gotten yourself a nice case of whiplash, which I've definitely had, and it sucks pretty bad if untreated. Limited movement, lots of pain, headaches, other issues. I had a few weeks of physical therapy with heat therapy, massage, and exercises. The pain, stiffness, and headaches went away and my neck flexibility is about 95% better (good enough).

But yeah, if you have any kind of lingering symptoms, get it checked out.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:16 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Whilst this is also correct, with my WEALTH of medical knowledge through SJA, I am BASICALLY a Doctor!

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:43 AM
teal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'm nowhere near a doctor, but if you didn't black out, see stars, and don't feel any different today or the next couple days, I'm pretty sure you didn't get a concussion. I've gotten hit hard in the head a handful of times and outside of my own paranoia, absolutely no concussion symptoms.

On the other hand, you could have gotten yourself a nice case of whiplash, which I've definitely had, and it sucks pretty bad if untreated. Limited movement, lots of pain, headaches, other issues. I had a few weeks of physical therapy with heat therapy, massage, and exercises. The pain, stiffness, and headaches went away and my neck flexibility is about 95% better (good enough).

But yeah, if you have any kind of lingering symptoms, get it checked out.
Yeah, I was thinking it feels more like whiplash than anything (but what do I know.) Feeling fine, thinking of calling my doctor today to try and get a drop in.

teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
The safe answer is, of course, to see a doctor.

The not-as-safe answer is to wait and see what changes next. Maybe it was just the edge of your helmet being forced against your neck, causing some compression and internal bruising. In that case it should clear up in a few days. Maybe get some topical cream to reduce the pain.

If it gets worse, DEFINITELY see a doctor. You don't want to wait until you have to call an ambulance. In particular, keep an eye out for swelling.
I had an identical collision over the summer, chest to chest/head to head. Luckily I wear a cage but I felt a bit dazed and maybe a little off the next two days but I was fine after that. Neck was a little tight for about a week though.

But I agree with that above. There's nothing I hate more than a wasted trip to the doc where all they just say, "Call back if things get worse." Most docs don't know squat about concussions. And even the ones who do have little they can offer other than "rest", which I assume you're doing now. You'll know if you need to see a doc. It doesn't sound like you do, it's just a neck sprain.

My one recommendation would be to take it easy but don't be too sedentary. The injured body reacts well to minimal activity that encourages blood flow and use of the affected area. Light cardio, stretching, easy lifting/calisthenics, anything that fits into "active recovery". Once you feel "great", you're ready to go. If symptoms continue or develop, you'll know to go see a doc.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote