HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Del Zotto agrees to terms with NYR (Brooks: 2 years, ~$2.55M per)

Old
01-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviek3b View Post
Look no one here is Brian Leetch. I understand that. Maybe my problem initially with Del Zotto is that there was so much hype surrounding him that I thought he would be Leetch.
Brian Leetch was used as basis for Del Zotto by casual fans. They play very different styles. Del Zotto is more physical, while Leetch has the better stickwork and generational skating and vision ability. The comparision begins and ends when comparing that they're offense-first defensemen.

Quote:
I just think that Del Zotto doesn't really bring that much upside offensively, if you add in his poor defensive game.
Del Zotto vastly improved his play at both ends of the rink last season. Torts even noted that he was a 'good defensive player'.

Quote:
Also, I think that we get a lot of scoring from our defense, just not from one player in particular. Girardi gets a lot of points and often scores a big goal or gets a slapshot deflected from the point.
Del Zotto was 4th in team scoring in the postseason as a defender.

Quote:
If we look back at last season, each defenseman has had key plays for us. McDonagh had the OT winner in Calgary, etc. I just can't remember that many key plays that Del Zotto contributed to. I do remember many times when a goal is scored against us and I look at the replay and it was Del Zotto's mistake that caused it.

Quote:
This guy is supposed to be the best offensive defenseman we have, yet even on the power play we have a forward at the point (Richards) that does more than Del Zotto does.
And there is nothing wrong with Richards manning the point. He's been one of the best PP producers since the last NHL lockout and his bread and butter is playing on the point.

Quote:
I hope I am wrong and this guy comes into his own this year. Maybe he gets a one year deal and then hits it big next year. If it were up to me though, I would concentrate on keeping Staal, Girardi and McDonagh as the top 3 on defense and forget about Del Zotto. I just don't ever seen Del Zotto contributing in the key situations.
I don't understand, Del Zotto already broke out last year. He'd be top pairing on most teams in the league.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:48 PM
silverfish
Player Usage

I hope we'll see something along the lines of 2 years @ 2.5-2.75 per, no real need to go for any more years. It's been Sather's MO to hardball his RFA's coming off of their ELC's when they have no arbitration rights. No reason to believe that will change now.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Dactyl
stats are pure CRAP

Quote:
Look no one here is Brian Leetch. I understand that. Maybe my problem initially with Del Zotto is that there was so much hype surrounding him that I thought he would be Leetch.

I just think that Del Zotto doesn't really bring that much upside offensively, if you add in his poor defensive game.

Also, I think that we get a lot of scoring from our defense, just not from one player in particular. Girardi gets a lot of points and often scores a big goal or gets a slapshot deflected from the point.

If we look back at last season, each defenseman has had key plays for us. McDonagh had the OT winner in Calgary, etc. I just can't remember that many key plays that Del Zotto contributed to. I do remember many times when a goal is scored against us and I look at the replay and it was Del Zotto's mistake that caused it.

This guy is supposed to be the best offensive defenseman we have, yet even on the power play we have a forward at the point (Richards) that does more than Del Zotto does.

I hope I am wrong and this guy comes into his own this year. Maybe he gets a one year deal and then hits it big next year. If it were up to me though, I would concentrate on keeping Staal, Girardi and McDonagh as the top 3 on defense and forget about Del Zotto. I just don't ever seen Del Zotto contributing in the key situations.
i immediately thought of this

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Brian Leetch was used as basis for Del Zotto by casual fans. They play very different styles. Del Zotto is more physical, while Leetch has the better stickwork and generational skating and vision ability. The comparision begins and ends when comparing that they're offense-first defensemen.

Del Zotto vastly improved his play at both ends of the rink last season. Torts even noted that he was a 'good defensive player'.

Del Zotto was 4th in team scoring in the postseason as a defender.

And there is nothing wrong with Richards manning the point. He's been one of the best PP producers since the last NHL lockout and his bread and butter is playing on the point.

I don't understand, Del Zotto already broke out last year. He'd be top pairing on most teams in the league.
Pretty much what I was about to say. Del Zotto is an important part of this team, and that is indisputable.

01-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Stralman also provided a bit of offense late n the season when he got acclimated.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Stralman also provided a bit of offense late n the season when he got acclimated.
I'm intrigued by the possibility of a long-term Staal-Stralman or McDonagh-Stralman pairing.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Dactyl
stats are pure CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I'm intrigued by the possibility of a long-term Staal-Stralman or McDonagh-Stralman pairing.
i like stralsy but ive never thought of him being paired with either of those 2

Old
01-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooblood View Post
Surprising, given that Stralman is the 2nd best right defenseman we have.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooblood View Post
Maybe with Staal. I don't see a way that DZ can play in the top 4. Staal-DZ was a mess last year.

McD-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
Del Zotto-Bickel/Eminger/UFA/trade

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Dactyl
stats are pure CRAP

Quote:
Surprising, given that Stralman is the 2nd best right defenseman we have.
he is but i always just wouldve had staal-dz or mcd-dz as the 2nd pairing but stralman played well for us last year and definitely deserves the spot if he maintains his level of play

Old
01-06-2013, 09:33 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

MDZ is 22 years old and has already shown excellent offensive ability. Obviously he needs to work on consistency, but to say that we should forget about a guy who was our 5th leading scorer last season is just nuts. Honestly I'm not sure if this is a troll post or what. lol

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:34 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
@ Del Zotto doesn't bring a lot of offensive upside.

League-wide among D

Top 20 in points
Top 20 in goals
Top 15 in +/-
Top 15 in PP assists
Last year. The year before that, he's wasn't even top 20 in the AHL. He had a promising rookie season, but wasn't very good defensively. Then he had a sophomore slump. Then in his 3rd year, he started to put it together.

I don't see him getting more than a 2 year deal. 2 years, 4 mil total. Something like that. He'll need to prove it for more than 1 year to get the big payday.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Lerb

DZ is a piece that you can't do without imo. A young offensive defensemen that shows a great deal of potential and is starting to become better and better at the defensive end of things is something that every franchise needs. We have stralman yes, but at what price are we willing to let DZ go in one way or another that stralman can make up for in his ability and potential?

Lerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Last year. The year before that, he's wasn't even top 20 in the AHL. He had a promising rookie season, but wasn't very good defensively. Then he had a sophomore slump. Then in his 3rd year, he started to put it together.

I don't see him getting more than a 2 year deal. 2 years, 4 mil total. Something like that. He'll need to prove it for more than 1 year to get the big payday.
he played 11 games.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:44 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

I LOVE LOVE that we're debating contract numbers instead of HRR numbers, again!!!!!

nyrpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Lerb

The next few days will be pretty explosive with trades, signings and other news.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:20 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

Quote:
@ Del Zotto doesn't bring a lot of offensive upside.

League-wide among D

Top 20 in points
Top 20 in goals
Top 15 in +/-
Top 15 in PP assists
Working on a PP that gives children nightmares.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:30 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Working on a PP that gives children nightmares.
Gotta assume the pp will be better this time around.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:42 PM
Lerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Gotta assume the pp will be better this time around.
It would have to go really wrong for us to not have a top-5 (if not, top 3) power play this season. Nash, Gaborik, Callahan, Richards, kreider, Stepan, DZ, Stralman especially considering Richie and Step have some experience playing as point man on the PP.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:51 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

The PP has been "improving" every offseason since Leetch left. I'll believe it when I see it.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:01 AM
Lerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
The PP has been "improving" every offseason since Leetch left. I'll believe it when I see it.
It wasn't bad this past season.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:02 AM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
It was 23rd in the league!

Old
01-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
We had the 3rd worst PP% in the conference.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:07 AM
Lerb

Memory fails me.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:09 AM
Lerb

Oh, the PP recovered a bit in the stretch against Philly where we won 5-2 on 3 PPG and then the next game against Boston (might have order reversed) where we notched another pair of PPG or something. The struggles and the failing PP% might be weighted toward the beginning of the season?

I think it just looks better compared to 2 years ago with Richie centering that powerplay