HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Six players who will be ready for season

Old
01-06-2013, 09:36 PM
newerabegins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
every one said crosby would be rusty after coming back the 1st time last season.

yet he still put up 37 points in 22 games. if that is crosby coming back rusty and tenative. then i would be scared for the rest of the league for a healthy, unrusty crosby.

crosby rusty. 1.68 points per game lol.
i dont know i cant help but think the other players were going "easy" on him knowing about his situation and everything. also he only had 8 goals

newerabegins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:40 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisealfie11 View Post
i dont know i cant help but think the other players were going "easy" on him knowing about his situation and everything. also he only had 8 goals
Let's wait and see what he does.

Apparently he will dominate the league in ways only Gretzky and Lemieux did!

Players that have been in game shape for weeks, sometimes months will suddenly stop playing as well and Crosby won't need anytime to shake off any rust and will just go beast mode.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:43 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post

He'll be the best player, and second fiddle will be Malkin. Two best players in the world on one team, good thing it's a team game.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:51 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
He'll be the best player, and second fiddle will be Malkin. Two best players in the world on one team, good thing it's a team game.
....and last year the Penguins were supposed to win the Cup and just walk all over the competition right?

Too bad those unfair refs stopped the "untouchable" Crosby and his second fiddle centerman in Malkin from beating the helpless Flyers

Without only looking at stats but by judging Crosby on the way he played last year, other than that first game against the Islanders, how many times was Crosby actually dominant? How many of the points he scored were meaningful and not just garbage points where his team was up 4-1 already in the the 3rd period after it was Malkin who had a part on pretty much all those first 4 goals? The Penguins got on a hot streak long before Crosby got back, he just rode Malkin's coattails the rest of the season. If Malkin doesn't go beast mode in the second half, Crosby doesn't score half of those points last season no matter how well rested he was. In the 22 games that Crosby played, it was Malkin who faced the opposing teams' best defensive assignments, best defenses and shadowing. It wasn't Crosby so it made it easier for him to have more open ice to put up points. This year BTW, neither will have Staal to rely on if they are having an off night. They are no longer as deep at center as they once were and I think Staal's departure will have a much larger effect (and not necessarily a positive one) on Crosby and Malkin's stats.

Crosby's been training hard, good for him. Some players have been training just as hard and have actually played some meaningful games this year. They'll be ready to go when the puck drops.

The only negative thing that's going to come out of this lockout being settled is having to see Crosby's massive nostrils being thrown in our faces every game and every post-game game coverage. Crosby makes a routine pass "Oh wow, did you just see that amazing pass that Crosby made? No one in the league can make that pass, that's something only Gretzky could have pulled".

When Malkin scores a hattrick; "Malkin's a great player but when healthy, Crosby's the best player in the NHL quite decisively. What other players like Giroux, Kovalchuk that actually manage to remain healthy do is irrelevant to the NHL. Crosby farts gold dust".

I can't wait for this award winning hockey coverage and commentating to resume.

Last edited by livewell68: 01-06-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old
01-06-2013, 10:00 PM
SenzZen
Do it for Alfie!

Quote:
I know I will most likely look foolish if he fails but yes I do think he will be an Art Ross contender.

This season barring any injuries will be the ideal situation for Jagr to challenge for the Art Ross even at his age.

Sure he is 40 years old but he's also 20 lbs lighter (there is a Facebook training video shot on his iPad in which he states he's 100 kg this year which means he's 220 lbs now as opposed to the 240 he was last season. This means he will be lighter and have less weight to push around on the ice meaning he has less chances of aggravating his groin. He's also looking impressively fast on his skates, something that hasn't happened really since he left Pittsburgh.

He looks really confident and his shot seems to be back to the level it was at in 2005-06 when he scored 54 goals. With just 48-52 games to play in the regular season, he doesn't have to pace himself and he can play all out every night. He won't have to worry about tiring himself out. Sure he's been playing a lot of minutes in the Czech league (22-26 minutes a game) but they only play about 2 games a week. His legs are fresh and he's pumped. He leaves the Czech League with 55 Pts in just 33 games to lead that league in PPG. Plus he completed outplayed Plekanec, Krejci and Hemsky in that league. Don't forget that before his injury last season in Philadelphia that he had 41 Pts in his first 40 games. This was despite taking a good 10 games to re-accustom himself to the NHL game after being away from it for 3 seasons and this after not playing the 20-23 minutes a game he usually saw in the past. He also wasn't given the chance to run a powerplay and play at his usual position on the right half boards during the man advantage. Nieuwendyk is the GM of the Stars and he got to see him score a hattrick earlier this year in the Czech Extraliga and believe me this, the Stars have already promised Jagr more icetime and a spot on the top line with the keys to the Stars' powerplay. He will have more chances to succeed than he did in Philly.

Just check out some of these goals he scored over there. He didn't exactly give it 100% in that league anyways in efforts to not injure himself. This is the healthiest and the best he's been since 2005-06, no joke.

If bringing back the Jofa buckets was part of the new CBA, I can't see how he'll be stopped.

SenzZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:08 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
If bringing back the Jofa buckets was part of the new CBA, I can't see how he'll be stopped.
I don't quite get this. If sarcasm is your attempt, then that's all good but I really don't get what you are trying to say. Jofa buckets? Do you mean the Jofa helmets? If so, I thought they were illegal in the NHL.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:

Players that have been in game shape for weeks, sometimes months will suddenly stop playing as well and Crosby won't need anytime to shake off any rust and will just go beast mode.
How did Crosby do when he came back from a year long injury, while everyone else was playing in the NHL. How rusty did he look then?

If you don't think Crosby is in game shape you are insane.

Pilgore88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
I don't quite get this. If sarcasm is your attempt, then that's all good but I really don't get what you are trying to say. Jofa buckets? Do you mean the Jofa helmets? If so, I thought they were illegal in the NHL.
Yes a bucket is a helmet. And many people are questioning Jagr due to his age, and the level he will be playing. He never exactly set the league on fire last year.

Pilgore88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:15 PM
Islanderfan17

Tavares is going to take a giant **** on the league, book it.

Islanderfan17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:21 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Tavares is going to take a giant **** on the league, book it.
Can't he just use the toilet like the rest of the people?

But yeah, Tavares could be one of the players that people need to watch out.

FinRuutu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:21 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
Yes a bucket is a helmet. And many people are questioning Jagr due to his age, and the level he will be playing. He never exactly set the league on fire last year.
He didn't set the league on fire no but he did have 41 Pts in his first 40 games before his injury which was good enough for 9th in league scoring at that point and this was despite having taken a good 10 games to simply regain his timing for the faster NHL game after being away from it for 3 seasons in the KHL where the pace of the game is slower due to the larger ice surfaces. Jagr didn't prepare himself well for the game last season as he was 240 lbs and he thought the game was still the way it was when he left it in 2007-08 when he would just use his body and size along the boards and play a cycle game. He admitted this himself.

He lost the weight and dropped down to 220 lbs in the offseason for a reason. http://m.espn.go.com/nhl/playerupdate?playerId=405&wjb=

Quote:
Jagr, who some felt slowed towards the end of the season, plans to change his training regime this offseason in order to lose weight, with the goal of regaining some speed.
Quote:
Dec 27: Jagr currently sits second in Czech Extraliga scoring with 51 points in 31 games. Not bad for such an old guy, eh? He has 24 goals and 27 assists, and is just five points behind the league leader. He should be in fine form for his post-lockout return.
... but I guess most hockey experts have no idea what they are talking about right? I don't see Hemsky and Krejci who are both a decade younger than Jagr if not more putting up those kinds of numbers in the same league this year.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:58 PM
TheStroker

Lupul - Anisimov - Tavares
Letang - Smith

Luongo

Look for these players to come out like bears from a cage.

TheStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:20 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
....and last year the Penguins were supposed to win the Cup and just walk all over the competition right?

Too bad those unfair refs stopped the "untouchable" Crosby and his second fiddle centerman in Malkin from beating the helpless Flyers

Without only looking at stats but by judging Crosby on the way he played last year, other than that first game against the Islanders, how many times was Crosby actually dominant? How many of the points he scored were meaningful and not just garbage points where his team was up 4-1 already in the the 3rd period after it was Malkin who had a part on pretty much all those first 4 goals? The Penguins got on a hot streak long before Crosby got back, he just rode Malkin's coattails the rest of the season. If Malkin doesn't go beast mode in the second half, Crosby doesn't score half of those points last season no matter how well rested he was. In the 22 games that Crosby played, it was Malkin who faced the opposing teams' best defensive assignments, best defenses and shadowing. It wasn't Crosby so it made it easier for him to have more open ice to put up points. This year BTW, neither will have Staal to rely on if they are having an off night. They are no longer as deep at center as they once were and I think Staal's departure will have a much larger effect (and not necessarily a positive one) on Crosby and Malkin's stats.

Crosby's been training hard, good for him. Some players have been training just as hard and have actually played some meaningful games this year. They'll be ready to go when the puck drops.

The only negative thing that's going to come out of this lockout being settled is having to see Crosby's massive nostrils being thrown in our faces every game and every post-game game coverage. Crosby makes a routine pass "Oh wow, did you just see that amazing pass that Crosby made? No one in the league can make that pass, that's something only Gretzky could have pulled".

When Malkin scores a hattrick; "Malkin's a great player but when healthy, Crosby's the best player in the NHL quite decisively. What other players like Giroux, Kovalchuk that actually manage to remain healthy do is irrelevant to the NHL. Crosby farts gold dust".

I can't wait for this award winning hockey coverage and commentating to resume.
Did you miss the part where I said "good thing it's a team game" before you began a rant on the Penguin's losing games?? Yes, cry all you want about Crosby fandom, at the end of the season he'll have the highest ppg just like he did last season.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Agron
BELIEVE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
Lol at all of the people claiming Malkin is better than Crosby
pretty good problem to have for the penguins aint it.

Agron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:25 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Bieber View Post
pretty good problem to have for the penguins aint it.
Yep, and you'll see Malkin back with Neal, and Crosby will be carrying a line of Kennedy and some other scrub then he'll still outscore the league yet the hate will still spew forth from fans of other teams.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:28 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Did you miss the part where I said "good thing it's a team game" before you began a rant on the Penguin's losing games?? Yes, cry all you want about Crosby fandom, at the end of the season he'll have the highest ppg just like he did last season.
He can have his 10 Pts in 6 games so all the Crosby fans can rave about how dominant he is when healthy and how if given the chance to play a full season he would be near 140 Pts

Then they can go on about how 55 Pts (in 48 games) from someone like Kovalchuk means nothing since Crosby had a better PPG. The All Mighty PPG.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:29 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Yep, and you'll see Malkin back with Neal, and Crosby will be carrying a line of Kennedy and some other scrub then he'll still outscore the league yet the hate will still spew forth from fans of other teams.
... because no other great players at any point in NHL history had to play with bad linemates and had to carry them.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:31 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
He can have his 10 Pts in 6 games so all the Crosby fans can rave about how dominant he is when healthy and how if given the chance to play a full season he would be near 140 Pts
Well, he's played a total of 434 games to a tune of 609 points, when healthy, I think he'll kick some serious ***.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:32 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
... because no other great players at any point in NHL history had to play with bad linemates and had to carry them.
Did I say that? Nope, just saying Neal will be with Malkin and Crosby will still run up the stats.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:35 PM
nowhereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
I guess you haven't heard of this guy named Evgeni Malkin. Google him. You'll learn something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
There is absolutely zero chance of that happening. Crosby isn't even the best player on his team, let alone the best in the league. No player will put up those numbers.
Seriously? Shiny new toy, I guess. Would you have said this a year ago, when Malkin wasn't even scoring at a PPG pace?

Malkin is NOT the best player in the league or on the Penguins. You need only have watched them, over the course of their careers.

And Crosby had 66 points in 41 games, in 2011. That's a 77 point pace, over 48 games. How is there a "zero chance" of him putting up those numbers, when got off to a slow start and still managed to put up similar numbers? OV had a similar streak the year before.

Quote:
Let's see, the player that won the Art Ross (for the 2nd time last year) and also won the Hart and Lindsay trophies played on the Penguins and his name is not Crosby.

Malkin has 1 Conn Smythe, 1 Calder, 2 Art Ross trophies, 1 Hart and 1 Lindsay/ Pearson while Crosby has but 1 Art Ross, 1 Hart, 1 Pearson/ Lindsay, no Calder, no Conn Smythe and 1 Rocket Richard despite playing 8 more games than the guy that trailed him by just 1 goal for the award.
When both of them are playing and healthy, Crosby is clearly better.

And I wouldn't use Malkin's Calder against Crosby. The season Malkin won that trophy, Crosby outscored him by 35 points, even though Malkin was a year older.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:35 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Well, he's played a total of 434 games to a tune of 609 points, when healthy, I think he'll kick some serious ***.
Good for him. If only 434 games meant his career is complete

Old
01-06-2013, 11:39 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Good for him. If only 434 games meant his career is complete
Oh, did I mention 90 points in 68 playoff games? Yeah, add that on there.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:46 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Oh, did I mention 90 points in 68 playoff games? Yeah, add that on there.
Wow!!! I'm so impressed!!!

How many cups does he have and how many Conn Smythes?

It's not how and when you start a race, it's when and how you finish it. Just go ask Lindros and Karyia about that statement.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:58 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Wow!!! I'm so impressed!!!

How many cups does he have and how many Conn Smythes?

It's not how and when you start a race, it's when and how you finish it. Just go ask Lindros and Karyia about that statement.

I can send you one of these posters to put above your bed, if you so desire:

Old
01-07-2013, 12:02 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 131
Quote:
So his 55 Pts in 33 Czech Extraliga games (played on the smaller NHL size rinks) means nothing to you?

So because he's old, his production overseas means nothing but someone like Tavares or even Karlsson who played in leagues a tad bit below the level of hockey in the Czech Republic and played well, are ready?

Jagr dominated overseas at a level only Malkin dominated at so far this year (and Malkin is wildly regarded as the best player in the world). He's seriously in the best shape he has been in since his first season in New York. Malkin also played with Mozyakin who put up similar points to Malkin while Jagr led his team in goals, assists and points despite playing with Plekanec. Guys like Krejci and Hemsky who are both great players and are a decade younger than Jagr couldn't put up the points Jagr did in the Czech Extraliga.

Dallas will look to him to play big minutes and lead their offense and powerplay as opposed to playing a secondary role in Philly and he will surprise a lot of people in North America. Of course the NHL game is different but give credit where credit is due. Jagr has been flat out dominant in the Czech league, there is no other way to describe his play there.

Check out this video and tell me if he doesn't look impressive despite his age and despite the fact that it wasn't the NHL?

Damn, you are really starting to get my mind changed. I don't still believe that Jagr will be taking the Art Ross ( would be amazing if he did tough) but maybe he really gets up flying and ends up in top-10. Not too much of a stretch, was Selanne the same age as Jagr now when he finished 8th? I see Jagr having good case since he is having a great start in the Extraleague. With short season he can pull of a small surprise and end up high.

I think the aggressive schedule might be his downfall. Not too much time to recover and the intensity of games is at top from the start.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote