HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks Training Camp: Day 2 Over

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Canucker

vCash: 500
As a 13th forward, I guess thats ok, I'd actually even prefer Volpatti but it's like arguing over what kind of hammer you want to hit you over the head...but I just hope he isn't in consideration for Kesler's spot.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Shareefruck

I think Volpatti is completely awful, personally. He doesn't even seem talented enough for the AHL most nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Yup. I remember ragging on him last season.

Me: damn you AV why is this guy on the ice in OT?

Ebbet: tips in gwg.

He's fine as a 13th. I'd prefer Weise in that spot though.
I don't think their positions conflict, personally. You normally carry more than one forward spare. Heck, Weise is most likely going to be our #12 guy for a while.

For a guy who isn't good enough to own a regular spot, Ebbett is ideal-- he can play anywhere in the lineup and look solid and even occassionally contribute when he's needed, without any huge glaring weaknesses (I wouldn't call him weak, slow, lacking in hockey sense, mentally fragile, or poor defensively).

Expecting more out of a #13 guy is downright unreasonable, IMO. For christ's sakes, in the limited time he got to play, he scored at a 23goal, 27 point, +9 pace last year. What more do you want? Obviously he wouldn't keep that up, but I don't see how you can not be satisfied with his ability to come in in relief.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-06-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old
01-06-2013, 11:27 PM
nucksfan8888

Gotta keep the Sedins and Burrows together, with a short season you can't afford to lose any points trying to get everyone going and covering up your weakness, instead play to your strengths. Even with Burrows with the Sedins the canucks have 3 defensively responsible wingers, and 2 very dependable bottom 6 centers, the bottom 9 can cover for Kassian and Schroeder without Burrows, but the Sedins won't be able to carry the team unless they have Burrows and all 3 of them are going full blast.

So
Line 1
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows > Needs no further explanation

Line 2
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen > Schroeder is well insulated by the two best defensive wingers the team has outside of burrows

Line 3-A
Booth/Raymond-Malhotra-Weise > With Booth this line is a balanced 3rd line with a powerforward in Booth, defensive forward at center in Malhotra, and a defensively sound grinder with Weise. Substitute Raymond for Booth and you have AV's classic 3rd line shutdown group trusted for all the defensive zone faceoffs.

Line 3-B
Raymond/Booth-Lapierre-Kassian > With Raymond this line is balanced with speed size and tenacity and hint of scoring touch sprinkled in. Lapierre and Kassian feed off of each other and must stay together until Kesler is back. Substitute Booth for Raymond and we have AV`s classic fourth line, stapled to the bench in the 3rd period.

I believe that is their best hope for success while Kesler is out, its only a little bit of time but every point counts in a short season. I think the starting defence is basically agreed upon barring a trade, same with the goalies. Once Kesler is back though, the options for the forwards are endless.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:37 PM
arsmaster

If you give Schroeder, Higgins and booth(IMO you have to put booth in a scoring role), you then let Hansen and Lapierre continue with their chemistry and see who works on the LW with them.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:41 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 507
Hansen on any line works, really. If we have Schroeder at 2C, I hope he has at least one of Higgins/Burrows/Hansen on his wing. Booth is the one where he may have to be kept off the second line temporarily because he's not so strong in his own end.

I can see a lot of one or two goal games early on, or until Kesler comes back because we're going to have to shuffle wingers around to accommodate the absence of Kesler IMO.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:45 PM
shortshorts
broken athlete

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Schroeder Hansen
Booth needs a player like Schroeder. A player who will put the puck on his stick so he can fire away. Hansen's offensive game looked a lot better playing in Finland with Barkov and will do the same with Schroeder.

Raymond Lapierre Kassian
We know Lapierre has some offensive talent in there. We also know he's played his best with Kassian (when he's not afraid). This will be a solid physical line with some good offensive abilities all around. This also allows Kassian to be practice being more consistent physically while playing with players who have offensive abilities too.

Higgins Malhotra Weise
This is a solid 4th line and should match up against most in the league. It isn't a contenders 4th line, but we won't have one until Kesler is back.

The best thing about this is that everyone is comfortable where they are, and there is scoring ability everywhere. None of these lines are defensively suspect either.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:46 PM
nucksfan8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
If you give Schroeder, Higgins and booth(IMO you have to put booth in a scoring role), you then let Hansen and Lapierre continue with their chemistry and see who works on the LW with them.
Who plays right wing, Booth or Higgins? The only time I've seen Higgins play the right side is on the AMEX line, and that doesn't require him to be the defensive anchor as it would in this setup. Booth is ineffective on the right side from what I've seen/heard.

Someone nailed it earlier also when they said, Schroeder, Kassian, and Booth will not be on the same line, even 2 of them. Out of the 12 forwards those are 3 weakest defensively(Schroeder only because of size) might as well spread them out.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:46 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I think Volpatti is completely awful, personally. He doesn't even seem talented enough for the AHL most nights.I don't think their positions conflict, personally. You normally carry more than one forward spare. Heck, Weise is most likely going to be our #12 guy for a while.

For a guy who isn't good enough to own a regular spot, Ebbett is ideal-- he can play anywhere in the lineup and look solid and even occassionally contribute when he's needed, without any huge glaring weaknesses (I wouldn't call him weak, slow, lacking in hockey sense, mentally fragile, or poor defensively).

Expecting more out of a #13 guy is downright unreasonable, IMO. For christ's sakes, in the limited time he got to play, he scored at a 23goal, 27 point, +9 pace last year. What more do you want? Obviously he wouldn't keep that up, but I don't see how you can not be satisfied with his ability to come in in relief.
There needs to be some kind of toughness on our roster, unless we want Kassian being the heavy....I'd prefer not. And I don't think Volpatti is as terrible as you make him out. He's tough and smart, despite his limited skills.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:51 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
There needs to be some kind of toughness on our roster, unless we want Kassian being the heavy....I'd prefer not. And I don't think Volpatti is as terrible as you make him out. He's tough and smart, despite his limited skills.
I'm part of the camp that thinks that toughness is only useful when the guy isn't a completely fringe NHLer, personally. If we're talking about someone who won't play most nights but will be needed in a pinch when injuries hit (especially if its your top players who go down), I think Volpatti would be pretty worthless to have around while Ebbett would be very handy.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:52 PM
shortshorts
broken athlete

Quote:
I agree with us needing a heavy. I'd prefer a RW heavy however considering my set-up. Pinnizotto would be nice right about now.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:07 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
I agree with us needing a heavy. I'd prefer a RW heavy however considering my set-up. Pinnizotto would be nice right about now.
Pinizzotto would be great if he could stay healthy. Little undersized but has some skill and a pitbull attitude.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:10 AM
Shareefruck

I'm all for Pinnizotto replacing Ebbett as well actually, but I didn't expect him to be what you were talking about when mentioning toughness.

That guy has the worst health luck recently though

Old
01-07-2013, 12:10 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
When Kesler gets back, based on parts we have in stock

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Raymond-Lappy-Weise

Manny (cracks lineup if he's healthy)

Old
01-07-2013, 12:11 AM
shortshorts
broken athlete

Quote:
Pinizzotto would be great if he could stay healthy. Little undersized but has some skill and a pitbull attitude.
I wish Bitz actually had some decent skill... because he'd be perfect there.

Hopefully Pinz gets healthy and we can have a Weise/Pinz rotation.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:16 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
I wish Bitz actually had some decent skill... because he'd be perfect there.

Hopefully Pinz gets healthy and we can have a Weise/Pinz rotation.
I had a bigger problem with Bitz' inability to use his size rather than his lack of skill, personally.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:23 AM
RobertKron

If Weise could work on it a bit, he could be the guy. He had a good go with Horton last year, and he's pretty certainly the hockey player I'd rather have in every game out of the available options. He obviously won't be fighting the boxers on skates, but hardly anyone in the system is going to really do well against them.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:24 AM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

Quote:
I had a bigger problem with Bitz' inability to use his size rather than his lack of skill, personally.
Better than Oreskovich though :/

Old
01-07-2013, 12:27 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
If Weise could work on it a bit, he could be the guy. He had a good go with Horton last year, and he's pretty certainly the hockey player I'd rather have in every game out of the available options. He obviously won't be fighting the boxers on skates, but hardly anyone in the system is going to really do well against them.
No this should go in the Overseas Canuck thread but speaking of Weise:

Quote:
Weise leaves the Dutch League with 48 points in 19 games (22 G, 28 A). But beyond the individual success is the team success. During his time with the club, the Trappers went 16-0-1-2, outscoring their opponents 108 43.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:37 AM
shortshorts
broken athlete

Quote:
He's a deterrent that doesn't suck. His size and willingness to drop the gloves scares players, and at the same time he isn't a terrible hockey player.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:38 AM
shortshorts
broken athlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Weise has the potential to be a very solid third liner in the future who can drop the gloves. However, Weise is never going to deter players from taking liberties on our players.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:44 AM
David71

i don't think Schroeder makes the team. let alone play on the 2nd line untill kesler comes back from his injury. he's too small. how is his defensive game. a.v will gladly staple j.s to the bench.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:47 AM
shortshorts
broken athlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
i don't think Schroeder makes the team. let alone play on the 2nd line untill kesler comes back from his injury. he's too small. how is his defensive game. a.v will gladly staple j.s to the bench.
Who is our second, third, fourth line centre than? One eyed Malhotra?

Old
01-07-2013, 12:51 AM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
Schroeder's defensive game is better than Hodgson's.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:52 AM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Amex v2.0 Booth-Schroeder-Higgins

Old
01-07-2013, 01:05 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
Better than Oreskovich though :/
I thought he was pretty much the same thing.
Quote:
He's a deterrent that doesn't suck. His size and willingness to drop the gloves scares players, and at the same time he isn't a terrible hockey player.
Bitz fought and didn't use his size or hit. Oreskovich hit and didn't fight or use his size. Neither could play hockey.

I think both these guys are awful options no matter how you slice it, personally.

Closed Thread