HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Whitney to Detroit

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2013, 07:54 PM
  #26
Kessely Snipes
Great White North
 
Kessely Snipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,449
vCash: 500
Oilers aren't in the position to be trading one of there best D away, unless they are getting a dman back in return.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:01 PM
  #27
lakai17
Registered User
 
lakai17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,934
vCash: 50
not the best of trading partners today.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:46 PM
  #28
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
Oilers aren't in the position to be trading one of there best D away, unless they are getting a dman back in return.
Or a center. And Whitney isn't our best d, that title goes to Ladi Smid, who won't be traded.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:43 PM
  #29
Chevrier
Registered User
 
Chevrier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Or a center. And Whitney isn't our best d, that title goes to Ladi Smid, who won't be traded.
Laddy Smid would be fantastic as a Wing, but like mentioned above, I agree that the Oilers and Wings just don't seem to be great partners at this time. I think that Whitney can be a solid if not better than average contributor, but the Oilers will want to hold onto him until Schultz completely usurps him and the Wings won't offer up anything that will please the Oilers enough to let him loose. The Wings core players are too valuable to their team and their 'non-core' players are not worth enough to appease the Oilers. Besides, the Wings have a glut of forwards, plus 7 D at the moment given Smith being integrated into the top 6 which is all but assured.

Chevrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:50 PM
  #30
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
We have Smith, Cola, Kronwall, White, Quincey and Kindl as puck movers. Yeah, let's get another one.

Legit defensive D's: Ericsson.

That's it. And I'm assuming Ericsson continues where left off last season.
Kronwall is worlds ahead of Ericsson defensively.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:52 PM
  #31
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,914
vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Whitney is worth way more to us here than he currently is in a trade. If Whitney can skate like he could a year and a half ago he will still be our best defencemen. When he was able to skate he was playing 27-30 minutes a night and scoring at over a 60 point pace. We need that here in Edmonton if its still there. Even if its not we need to find out if it is before making a move.
Even if Schultz/Yakupov do nothing, I think the Oilers would make the playoffs if Whitney returned to that form.

However, based upon what people have said regarding his injuries, it doesn't look like that will ever happen. It seems like it's permanent.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:02 AM
  #32
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,977
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Even if Schultz/Yakupov do nothing, I think the Oilers would make the playoffs if Whitney returned to that form.

However, based upon what people have said regarding his injuries, it doesn't look like that will ever happen. It seems like it's permanent.
Disagree. I don't think he ever returns to that dominant two way, #1 dman, we saw, but I wouldn't be surprised by him being a solid #3

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:02 AM
  #33
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Disagree. I don't think he ever returns to that dominant two way, #1 dman, we saw, but I wouldn't be surprised by him being a solid #3
If that was the case, do the Oilers keep him or trade. With Klefbom, Marincin, and Musil coming up in the next couple of years I would say trade him for a player the Oilers need.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:12 AM
  #34
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,974
vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
If that was the case, do the Oilers keep him or trade. With Klefbom, Marincin, and Musil coming up in the next couple of years I would say trade him for a player the Oilers need.
I don't think we see more than one of those guys make the roster for the next few years. Especially if Nick Schultz walks, we need Whitney.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:20 AM
  #35
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 53,009
vCash: 1000
with the oilers D and looking at 2-3 years down the line

Here is the D-line now
Smid
Schutlz
Schultz
Petry
Peckham
Potter
Sutton(might be done)

down the line in 2 to 4 years

D Klefbom, Oscar
D Marincin, Martin
D Musil, David


For me Smid is the key guy to sign and if it between him and Whitney--I take Smid

__________________
not sure how--but the fish just jumped in the boat and put the hook in it's mouth
52299/14814
The twenty year rebuild is on!!! Embrace the suck
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:17 AM
  #36
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
I don't think we see more than one of those guys make the roster for the next few years. Especially if Nick Schultz walks, we need Whitney.
N.Schultz still has another year to his contract, do you think he would walk with the team he is on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
with the oilers D and looking at 2-3 years down the line

Here is the D-line now
Smid
Schutlz
Schultz
Petry
Peckham
Potter
Sutton(might be done)

down the line in 2 to 4 years

D Klefbom, Oscar
D Marincin, Martin
D Musil, David


For me Smid is the key guy to sign and if it between him and Whitney--I take Smid
As it looks right now, Whitney would be playing 3rd pairing behind Smid and N.Schultz. Then there is the problem of the Oilers lack of grit, which Peckham, and Sutton supply. Someone has to go, or you keep J.Schultz in the AHL for the rest of the year. I see N.Schultz as a perfect partner for J.Schultz, and the Oilers will most likely keep Smid and Petry together. So that leaves Whitney, Potter, Sutton, and Peckham to fill out the last 3 positions. The you have next year where it looks like Klefbom is a lock to make the team, someone has to go, and I don't think the Oilers would want to pay a 3rd pairing D 3-5M.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:49 AM
  #37
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 18,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Kronwall is worlds ahead of Ericsson defensively.
Never said he wasn't. Just that Ericsson is our only pure defensive D atm.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.