HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Whitney to Detroit

Old
01-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

vCash: 500
Oilers aren't in the position to be trading one of there best D away, unless they are getting a dman back in return.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:01 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
not the best of trading partners today.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:46 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
Oilers aren't in the position to be trading one of there best D away, unless they are getting a dman back in return.
Or a center. And Whitney isn't our best d, that title goes to Ladi Smid, who won't be traded.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Chevrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Or a center. And Whitney isn't our best d, that title goes to Ladi Smid, who won't be traded.
Laddy Smid would be fantastic as a Wing, but like mentioned above, I agree that the Oilers and Wings just don't seem to be great partners at this time. I think that Whitney can be a solid if not better than average contributor, but the Oilers will want to hold onto him until Schultz completely usurps him and the Wings won't offer up anything that will please the Oilers enough to let him loose. The Wings core players are too valuable to their team and their 'non-core' players are not worth enough to appease the Oilers. Besides, the Wings have a glut of forwards, plus 7 D at the moment given Smith being integrated into the top 6 which is all but assured.

Chevrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:50 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
We have Smith, Cola, Kronwall, White, Quincey and Kindl as puck movers. Yeah, let's get another one.

Legit defensive D's: Ericsson.

That's it. And I'm assuming Ericsson continues where left off last season.
Kronwall is worlds ahead of Ericsson defensively.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:52 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Whitney is worth way more to us here than he currently is in a trade. If Whitney can skate like he could a year and a half ago he will still be our best defencemen. When he was able to skate he was playing 27-30 minutes a night and scoring at over a 60 point pace. We need that here in Edmonton if its still there. Even if its not we need to find out if it is before making a move.
Even if Schultz/Yakupov do nothing, I think the Oilers would make the playoffs if Whitney returned to that form.

However, based upon what people have said regarding his injuries, it doesn't look like that will ever happen. It seems like it's permanent.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:02 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Even if Schultz/Yakupov do nothing, I think the Oilers would make the playoffs if Whitney returned to that form.

However, based upon what people have said regarding his injuries, it doesn't look like that will ever happen. It seems like it's permanent.
Disagree. I don't think he ever returns to that dominant two way, #1 dman, we saw, but I wouldn't be surprised by him being a solid #3

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:02 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Disagree. I don't think he ever returns to that dominant two way, #1 dman, we saw, but I wouldn't be surprised by him being a solid #3
If that was the case, do the Oilers keep him or trade. With Klefbom, Marincin, and Musil coming up in the next couple of years I would say trade him for a player the Oilers need.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:12 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
If that was the case, do the Oilers keep him or trade. With Klefbom, Marincin, and Musil coming up in the next couple of years I would say trade him for a player the Oilers need.
I don't think we see more than one of those guys make the roster for the next few years. Especially if Nick Schultz walks, we need Whitney.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:20 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
with the oilers D and looking at 2-3 years down the line

Here is the D-line now
Smid
Schutlz
Schultz
Petry
Peckham
Potter
Sutton(might be done)

down the line in 2 to 4 years

D Klefbom, Oscar
D Marincin, Martin
D Musil, David

For me Smid is the key guy to sign and if it between him and Whitney--I take Smid

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:17 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
I don't think we see more than one of those guys make the roster for the next few years. Especially if Nick Schultz walks, we need Whitney.
N.Schultz still has another year to his contract, do you think he would walk with the team he is on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
with the oilers D and looking at 2-3 years down the line

Here is the D-line now
Smid
Schutlz
Schultz
Petry
Peckham
Potter
Sutton(might be done)

down the line in 2 to 4 years

D Klefbom, Oscar
D Marincin, Martin
D Musil, David

For me Smid is the key guy to sign and if it between him and Whitney--I take Smid
As it looks right now, Whitney would be playing 3rd pairing behind Smid and N.Schultz. Then there is the problem of the Oilers lack of grit, which Peckham, and Sutton supply. Someone has to go, or you keep J.Schultz in the AHL for the rest of the year. I see N.Schultz as a perfect partner for J.Schultz, and the Oilers will most likely keep Smid and Petry together. So that leaves Whitney, Potter, Sutton, and Peckham to fill out the last 3 positions. The you have next year where it looks like Klefbom is a lock to make the team, someone has to go, and I don't think the Oilers would want to pay a 3rd pairing D 3-5M.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:49 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Kronwall is worlds ahead of Ericsson defensively.
Never said he wasn't. Just that Ericsson is our only pure defensive D atm.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote