HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 9.0 - #Goldchenyuk Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 08:51 PM
poetryinmotion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
They were the key games.
And he played well in them.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
NHL sends memo to clubs indicating no camps before Saturday (and may not open until Monday), 48-game season to begin Jan. 19

Sarnia plays Wednesday @ the Soo. Then Friday @ KIT and Saturday at home vs OTT. If the camp only opens Monday, Gally could get all 3 of those games in.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
NHL sends memo to clubs indicating no camps before Saturday (and may not open until Monday), 48-game season to begin Jan. 19

Sarnia plays Wednesday @ the Soo. Then Friday @ KIT and Saturday at home vs OTT. If the camp only opens Monday, Gally could get all 3 of those games in.
Oh it sucks was looking to 50 games it sounded better than 48 wich sound so much closer to half a season lost lol...

Old
01-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
They were the key games.
And he played his best during those two games as well. Off of the scoresheet, but he accepted the third line checking role that was placed on him and his line, and they really shut down Canada and Sweden's offense with some heavy forechecking and backchecking.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayMistyForMe View Post
As for those saying that he should finish this year in Sarnia and then spend a year or two with the Bulldogs before he plays in Montreal... well... that's just plain brain dead. Galchenyuck is a top first round pick under contract for three years in Montreal. So, according to these knowledgeable fans who truly understand the value of "paying your dues in the minors" and not waste a young talented player by bringing him up too soon, you would have Galchenyuck play most if not all of his contract with Montreal in the juniors and minors, then lose him to another team when his contract his due. Nice waste of a top pick.

Top three picks in NHL always start in NHL the minute they are eligible to play. Only exception are :

1. When the top pick is a defenseman or a goalie (they can take longer to be ready for the NHL because they need to gain size and experience at that position)
2. When the team is a top contender for the cup and/or no holes in the roster is available for the rookie that year.
Brain dead???? Really??

Before throwing around insults you should try and gain some kind of grasp on the facts.

1. Galchenyuk can't play in Hamilton next season

2. While he is in junior his contract slides and he doesn't burn ANY of it.

As for top 3 forwards always making their respective teams?.........Turris, Ryan, Van Riemsdyk and Huberdeau certainly come to mind as some who didn't. None of these teams were contenders and all had available spots. You can't even argue about Van Riemsdyk, as Couturier made the team straight out of junior on a much more stacked team and he was a center.......

Last edited by Estimated_Prophet: 01-07-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old
01-06-2013, 11:44 PM
PATCHESx67

Marc Bergevin said on RDS that Galchenyuk will be invited to the camp

Last edited by PATCHESx67: 01-07-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old
01-06-2013, 11:55 PM
IcemanTBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

YES! I can at least see Gally one more time on Wednsday!

Old
01-07-2013, 06:16 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayMistyForMe View Post
As for those saying that he should finish this year in Sarnia and then spend a year or two with the Bulldogs before he plays in Montreal... well... that's just plain brain dead. Galchenyuck is a top first round pick under contract for three years in Montreal. So, according to these knowledgeable fans who truly understand the value of "paying your dues in the minors" and not waste a young talented player by bringing him up too soon, you would have Galchenyuck play most if not all of his contract with Montreal in the juniors and minors, then lose him to another team when his contract his due. Nice waste of a top pick.

Top three picks in NHL always start in NHL the minute they are eligible to play. Only exception are :

1. When the top pick is a defenseman or a goalie (they can take longer to be ready for the NHL because they need to gain size and experience at that position)
2. When the team is a top contender for the cup and/or no holes in the roster is available for the rookie that year.
I think you should start doing some research before throwing out comments like the one I bolded. Especially since it's complete fabrication on your part.

2011 - Jonathan Huberdeau. Drafted 3rd overall by the Florida Panthers, a non contender.

2010 - Brett Connolly. Drafted 3rd overall by the Tampa Bay Lightning, a non contender team.

Both those guys were drafted at the same spot as Galchenyuk and both did not play the year they were drafted. I would say Huberdeau is closer to Galchenyuk in terms of arguing potential here, but both Connolly and Huberdeau went 3rd overall. It's not rare for an 18-19 year old to spend his first year with his CHL team.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:25 AM
No Team Needed

Daniel and Henrik Sedin were drafted in 1999 and didn't play until 2000-2001. Dany Heatley, 2nd Overall Pick in 2000 didn't play until 2001-2002. Jason Spezza, 2nd Overall Pick in 2001 didn't play until 2002-2003. Man, that guy must have been a complete bust!

Old
01-07-2013, 07:13 AM
billy piton

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post

2010 - Brett Connolly. Drafted 6th overall by the Tampa Bay Lightning, a non contender team.
fixed, but your point still stands

Old
01-07-2013, 07:25 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
I think you should start doing some research before throwing out comments like the one I bolded. Especially since it's complete fabrication on your part.

2011 - Jonathan Huberdeau. Drafted 3rd overall by the Florida Panthers, a non contender.

2010 - Brett Connolly. Drafted 3rd overall by the Tampa Bay Lightning, a non contender team.

Both those guys were drafted at the same spot as Galchenyuk and both did not play the year they were drafted. I would say Huberdeau is closer to Galchenyuk in terms of arguing potential here, but both Connolly and Huberdeau went 3rd overall. It's not rare for an 18-19 year old to spend his first year with his CHL team.
I recall Toews stayed in UND too for a year after he was drafted by Chicago.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
Michel Bergevin said on RDS that Galchenyuk will be invited to the camp
Good for Galchenyuk to have that camp experience and meet everyone, practice with everyone.

But it doesn't mean he'll get 9 games (or more or less).

I wish he could get some AHL games next year, but apparently Galchenyuk can't play in the AHL next season?? (too young?).
Very stupid rule...imo.

3.2mil for Galchenyuk as an 18-19year-old?
Subban, Price, Pleks, Markov...they all did their time in the AHL...Galchenyuk is no different...imo.
Galchenyuk is going to be great, but...patience (he needs more time and needs to improve a few things...and why rush him? he didn't even play last year...and he's still building strength in his knee). Next summer...he should take power skating lessons for faster acceleration and improving his D/forechecking(and he'll be on his way star/superstar, but...patience).

Old
01-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

People freak out a bit... going to training camp doesnt mean we gonna rush him... if his style is perfect for the nhl we would be dumb to send him down to juniors, that wouldnt do him any good short term. On the other hand if he doesnr fit he doesnt fit end of story.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Good for Galchenyuk to have that camp experience and meet everyone, practice with everyone.

I wish he could get some AHL games next year, but apparently Galchenyuk can't play in the AHL next season?? (too young?).
Very stupid rule...imo.

Subban, Price, Pleks, Markov...they all did their time in the AHL...Galchenyuk is no different...imo.
Galchenyuk is going to be great, but...patience (he needs more time and needs to improve a few things...and why rush him? he didn't even play last year...and he's still building strength in his knee). Next summer...he should take power skating lessons for faster acceleration and improving his D/forechecking(and he'll be on his way star/superstar, but...patience).
The problem is that Galchenyuk will simply be too good for the CHL next season and will have nothing left to learn at that level. With the AHL not being an option it is hard to envision him anywhere else but in Montreal next season.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
People freak out a bit... going to training camp doesnt mean we gonna rush him... if his style is perfect for the nhl we would be dumb to send him down to juniors, that wouldnt do him any good short term. On the other hand if he doesnr fit he doesnt fit end of story.
I think it would be dumb to keep him in the NHL and waste a year of his ELC when he is only going to play a little more than half of a season. He will be far more valuable as a 21 year old on his ELC than as an 18 year old......simple math really.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanTBI View Post
YES! I can at least see Gally one more time on Wednsday!
There's probably a chance he's scratched as he may still be jet lagged/fatigued and such.

And you'll see him in the Soo on February 13th.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
Michel Bergevin said on RDS that Galchenyuk will be invited to the camp
Who's that?

Old
01-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Who's that?
He obviously meant Michel Bergeron.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Very stupid rule...imo.
The current CHL-NHL agreement under the CBA says junior-aged players (not over-agers) must either play in the NHL or the CHL. This rule was set up to protect junior hockey and the legions of fans buying seasons' tickets from losing all of their top players to minor pro leagues and possibly also having the kids sit on the bench in the AHL instead of top-line developmental minutes in junior.

As an avid junior fan, I love this rule, as do most fans of the CHL I assume. In a few elite cases like Yakupov, Galchenyuk, etc. there is the argument that, at 19 years old, they'd be best served with a bit of AHL experience, and that may be true. But I personally love that they err on the side of protecting junior hockey.

Not too many prospects have been hurt by playing their 19-year-old year in junior. And that's the bottom line. It works for all involved and no one (fans or players) tend to get hosed this way.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:19 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:

Very stupid rule...imo.

Galchenyuk wouldnt be the first guy to make the team on his draft year, you can do it with special players and to me Gally IS a special player, he has the skills, the attitude needed.. he has nothing to learn anymore on the Sting IMO since Beaulieu has not really a system in place, I think he can learn alot from our best center Plekanec and captain Gionta to do the right things on the ice.. Fact, we need another skilled player to complement the top 6 and Gally is IMO our best option.. Now, lets see our management evaluate the situation, I will trust their decision way more than any comments we hear over here.. Personally I think they will give him a 9 games tryout and then we will all have a better idea if he can keep up with the guys ect ect..

Old
01-07-2013, 10:26 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:

Brett Connolly was drafted 6th overall.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Fifthgear

Conference this afternoon to announce that the Canadiens have acquired Sean Kuraly from the San Jose Sharks to play center with Alex Galchenyuk in the 4th line like in the WJC. Woooohooooo!

Old
01-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I think he can learn alot from our best center Plekanec and captain Gionta to do the right things on the ice..
2 things:

- Can Gally's skating allow him to keep up with those 2 very fast skaters at this stage? I have doubts about it.

- Is it fair to ask a rookie to be the guy who has the 'puck retrieval role' on a line? I say no. And if he plays with those 2, he'll be that guy since they are so small.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy piton View Post
fixed, but your point still stands
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Brett Connolly was drafted 6th overall.
Thanks guys. Read where they were ranked and not where they were actually drafted. My bad.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:56 AM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Who's that?
yea sorry lol it was early in the morning i meant Marc Bergevin

Closed Thread