HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do the Oilers buyout? (If anyone)

Old
01-06-2013, 01:19 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Yes, I understand that Horcoff will be gone at the end of the season! MUAHAHAA!!!

Lander better pick up the slack otherwise Edmonton is going to go out and sign a vet in the off season.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:22 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Yes, I understand that Horcoff will be gone at the end of the season! MUAHAHAA!!!

Lander better pick up the slack otherwise Edmonton is going to go out and sign a vet in the off season.
If Lander is their replacement strategy I'd suggest that they start shopping already.

The younger the Oilers get down the middle the worse they'll be. Unless they clone RNH.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
This is a group that over-debates and over-analyzes. Whether or not they make good decisions, they put time into coming to their decisions. I feel they will buyout Horcoff because of his last year, which conflicts with RNH, Schultz and Petry's extensions.

I have confidence, at least, that they are putting their faith and money in the future of the club.
agreed

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:27 PM
#ualberta

I think they buyout horcoff, he might even want to be bought out he gets 2/3rds of his salary plus he'll probably sign for 2-3 m somewhere else. In terms of a 3rd line replacement i imagine alot of teams will be buying players out so there should be a decent selection i'm sure we can sign/trade for someone that does whatever it is Horcoff does on this team.

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but are teams allowed to use their buyouts either this summer OR next summer?

No point in buying out Horcoff unless they trade for a 3rd line center is found...at 64.3M we will be right around the cap next year with Horcoff. As much as we all hate him right now hes better than having Belanger as our 3rd line center.
That is highly debateable. Belanger can still win faceoffs and I dare say he could muster up as many points as horcoff will when horc FINALLY actually plays 3rd line minutes for the 1st time in his career.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:19 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
It would be stupid not to buy him out, I'm more then sure the team is aware of this.
why is it stupid to buy him out? why should they buy him out?

oh his contract-- beyond that what is the problem?

Last edited by jumptheshark: 01-06-2013 at 03:40 PM.
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
why is it stupid not to buy him out? why should they buy him out?

oh his contract-- beyond that what is the problem?
He sucks?

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

With the higher cap I kinda doubt they buy him out unless he is awful this season

Insta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:32 PM
misfit

With the season back on, things will be picking up around here. Please try to avoid creating duplicate threads.

As for the buyout, I don't know if anything has been confirmed, but it's likely between one and two buyouts per team that doesn't count against the cap before the 2013/14 season. Despite what some have said, it hasn't been confirmed whether a player can be re-signed by the team that bought them out or not.

As for Horcoff. He has a $5.5M cap hit, and while there's no doubt the team likes him, everybody knows (even the Oilers brass) that his value does not match his cap hit. All you have to do is look at how the contract was structured in the first place to see that they didn't expect him to be a $5.5M player in the final year of his deal. Now they have an opportunity to drop it without any cap penalty. There's no doubt in my mind that they'll buy him out. Regardless of what any chicken little fans will have you believe.

01-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I believe the compliance buyout allows for 2 buyouts in total, they can happen after this season or after the next. I guess we will see how Horcoff performs in a 48/50 game season. You would have to think he suspects his job might be on the line. I wonder how his play will be in response. Basically like playing for a spot on the team next year.

Although I imagine there are a few players who wouldn't mind getting bought out. Make 2/3rd (I think) of the salary still owed to you and free to sign elsewhere. You could have guys getting bought out and then making more money the next year then they would have otherwise made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
yeah, i've heard the same things, that the buyouts are available in summer of 2013 and summer of 2014, with a limit of 2 total
I thought the 2 buy-outs were one per season for the next two years..As in, one after each season? No?

The reason I say that is how it's worded.."Each team will be allowed two amnesty buyouts that can be used to terminate contracts after this season and next season". It says 'and' instead of or, which makes me believe it's one each season but I could be totally out to lunch.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Lion

Horcoff off the books will be beautiful. The second buyout will probably be on Belanger or maybe even Hemsky if he has another bad year.

Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:50 PM
misfit

I don't see the Oilers using a 2nd buyout.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I don't see the Oilers using a 2nd buyout.
Unless someone like Eager or Belanger just ****s the bed again this season.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:20 PM
misfit

Eager played last year like he's played every other year, and Belanger still earned his $1.75M. His offense will pick up, but he's still worth his low cap hit just on the merit of his PK and faceoff performance.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:48 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Horcoff is the only buyout that makes sense. Everyone else only has a max of a year left after this shortened season (other than obvious keepers like Eberle/Hall and those still on ELC's.)

Buying out Belanger or Eager is stupid. They weren't great last year but it would save literally peanuts buying them out because they have to turn around and replace them and they aren't making a lot. Belanger makes 1.75 million... good luck finding a decent #3 C that's good on the PK and great on the faceoff dot for less than his cost. Sure they could use VandeVelde or Lander but they are neither great on faceoffs nor as experienced on the PK.... although they would likely suck just as much offensively. They wouldn't save a whole lot on cap either.

Eager is making just over 1 million... not really much above league minimum when all is said and done. Again... replacing him with someone cheaper and better is a crapshoot. I'd rather see if he can rebound... most of his problems last year I think were conflicts with the departed head coach. With Krueger at the helm I'm hoping it's a clean start for Eager. The guy is a perfect 4th liner who can easily slide up to a 3rd line spot when injuries hit.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:27 PM
oilerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Buyout Horc and then roll with this:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Yakupov-Gagner/replacement-Hemsky
Eager/Smyth-Belanger-Jones
Paajarvi-Lander-Hartikainen
Brilliant! one of ten player to play in a role that averages 17 EvPT/ season and -21 he gets 24Pts. But we need youth in the Tough zone role. it is waisting his real talent.

He did get some even role with the kids
Horc paired with hall played against 1sts during his two years.
hall was:
W/ Horcoff .913GF/20 .565GA/20 +.348G/20 Against 1st line comp
W/ Gagner .889GF/60 .991GA/20 -.102G/20 against 3rd comp
W/ RNH .890GF/20 .786 GA/60 +.114G/20

PP production rank Nhl forwards
#3 Hall 9.28
#7 RNH 8.96
#14 Tavares 8.74
#16 Horcoff 8.54
#20 Eberle 8.22
#22 Malkin 8.16
#41 Gagner 7.33

So lets get rid of the center hall scores the most with and they destroy the other teams best.

plus the guy is a pocession center with a front net presence on the best 1st PP unit in the league.

DO SOME WORK!
Do not drink the TSN KOOL AID.
This kind of thinking got Renney fired.

PS: These are Facts!

Not Umh!
Like!
feelings!
What I think!
What I believe!

Just what really happened!
The Truth!
Funny thing the truth!

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Chef10

Buyout Horcoff!!! that would life a huge weight on our cap

Chef10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:48 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
Brilliant! one of ten player to play in a role that averages 17 EvPT/ season and -21 he gets 24Pts. But we need youth in the Tough zone role. it is waisting his real talent.

He did get some even role with the kids
Horc paired with hall played against 1sts during his two years.
hall was:
W/ Horcoff .913GF/20 .565GA/20 +.348G/20 Against 1st line comp
W/ Gagner .889GF/60 .991GA/20 -.102G/20 against 3rd comp
W/ RNH .890GF/20 .786 GA/60 +.114G/20

PP production rank Nhl forwards
#3 Hall 9.28
#7 RNH 8.96
#14 Tavares 8.74
#16 Horcoff 8.54
#20 Eberle 8.22
#22 Malkin 8.16
#41 Gagner 7.33

So lets get rid of the center hall scores the most with and they destroy the other teams best.

plus the guy is a pocession center with a front net presence on the best 1st PP unit in the league.

DO SOME WORK!
Do not drink the TSN KOOL AID.
This kind of thinking got Renney fired.

PS: These are Facts!

Not Umh!
Like!
feelings!
What I think!
What I believe!

Just what really happened!
The Truth!
Funny thing the truth!
Stop embarrassing yourself.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:02 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Is it possible to buyout Horcoff and re-sign him at a lower rate?

I can see him going for that since as long as his new contract is more than 1/3rd of his previous deal, he'll be making more money the next two seasons. If the Oilers really need the cap space for new deals, then they might go for it too (even though it'd be expensive).

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:16 AM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Is it possible to buyout Horcoff and re-sign him at a lower rate?

I can see him going for that since as long as his new contract is more than 1/3rd of his previous deal, he'll be making more money the next two seasons. If the Oilers really need the cap space for new deals, then they might go for it too (even though it'd be expensive).
The last time there was a knew CBA where they allowed compliance buyouts, players weren't allowed to re-sign with the same team. That was there to avoid the "have" teams being able to cheat the cap (potentially buying out everyone with a large contract only to re-sign them for the same money but much lower cap hit). This time around teams are only allowed to buy out 2 players, so I don't think there's any worry about giving any teams an unfair advantage.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:19 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Well it will be a interesting year, Horc has to up his game big time if he wants to stay an Oilers. Maybe, just maybe he will.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:56 AM
OmarkianSpin
Flames Suck

So...who gets bought out?

I'm sure this thread was already made but I must have missed it, I apologize. I'm really curious to hear the consensus on this.

OmarkianSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:58 AM
oilersfan11

If there's a god,Shawn Horcoff will be bought out!

It's a joke that he's the captain of this team.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:00 AM
OmarkianSpin
Flames Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
If there's a god,Shawn Horcoff will be bought out!

It's a joke that he's the captain of this team.
yeah I was kind of shocked at the time when he was named, but at that moment, who else could it have been? Nobody is worse than Moreau.

I wouldn't mind if we kept Horcoff but stripped his captaincy. He does have some use, after all.

OmarkianSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:01 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Probably Horcoff, but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if we don't. Play in these 48 games will dictate what Tambellini will do.

Now, I know this isn't what anyone wants for Edmonton, but it's an interesting scenario... What are the NYR going to do with Wade Redden for this season? They've buried him in Hartford for so long, are they going to suddenly play him in the NHL for the 48 games this year? Or could they shop him around to a team that may not have a ton of buyout options so they don't have to waste one of their own buyouts on Redden?

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote