HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Talk: The Final Countdown...?

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Canucker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Sure, they could offer him a Sundin-like deal, but it would hurt the rest of the team by forcing the Canucks to spend less on other positions.
What they were rumored to have offered (~$5 mil per for 3/4 years) would have hurt them in the long run, and offering even more than that wouldn't be smart.
Obviously there are smart limits to what you spend on a player but we COULD have brought him in if we deemed him worthy of that kind of money and he wanted to come here ultimately.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
That may and well be true. Kadri would obviously be a good addition, along with a player like Matt Finn. Maybe something like Kulemin+Kadri+Finn for Luongo+Pick?

I really do think it will be Bozak + Kadri + 1st.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:51 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Thank Bleach Clean.

Is there any room to upgrade our team through UFA? So out of the loop.
There are a few guys that could fill a 3C role.

Arnott, Morrison, Langkow, Hecht.

Other than that not much.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:52 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I'd much prefer Kulemin, Kadri and a 1st...do not want Bozak.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:53 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
You asked for an example where the Canucks had the 'opportunity' of bringing in a PF top 6'er. Not an example of a top 6 PF that they did bring in...

Though Mikael Samuelsson also fits your criteria - though at a 60% lower cap hit. Heck, Higgins was acquired for a song, didn't make much money and still outplayed David Booth.

I think you get the idea. Finding half point per game 2nd liners isn't exactly impossible.

Finding as efficient goalscorers is. Finding efficient goalscoring PWFs is even tougher. And Higgins isn't a PWF.

I'm saying that until the Canucks land said mythical beast, the Booth griping is kinda moot. Bring in a better top6, and you have a case.

The opportunities are rare to get a top6 PWF. Even rarer to land said player.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Honestly I would be happy with that.

Bozak would fit the 3C spot very well, then we can make a decision on whether to re-sign him or not later (Depending on how the Edler negitiations go)

Kadri is just waiting to break out IMO, I think there is a good chance he could play well in that 2W role, & if not it's NBD. He still is a huge addition to the cupboard which is mostly filled with quantity, and he would bring more quality.

Then a 1st in this deep draft year could turn out to be a very good player.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:55 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I'd much prefer Kulemin, Kadri and a 1st...do not want Bozak.
Neither do I. But I think Gillis does.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:56 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
bozak isn't a third liner. he's a 4th liner talent with no grit. stop acting like he knows the meaning of the word "defence"

Old
01-06-2013, 11:57 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

I don't see how Bozak fits the 3C spot at all. Maybe in NHL13 but not in real life, especially in the playoffs.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Neither do I. But I think Gillis does.
I really hope not.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:58 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Honestly I would be happy with that.

Bozak would fit the 3C spot very well, then we can make a decision on whether to re-sign him or not later (Depending on how the Edler negitiations go)

Kadri is just waiting to break out IMO, I think there is a good chance he could play well in that 2W role, & if not it's NBD. He still is a huge addition to the cupboard which is mostly filled with quantity, and he would bring more quality.

Then a 1st in this deep draft year could turn out to be a very good player.
Kadri on the second line? With AV coaching? Right, that'll happen.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:00 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Haha no kidding, one of my biggest gripes with AV.

But if Kadri shows he can bring the offense and Raymond doesn't I think AV would have to wouldn't he?

Old
01-07-2013, 12:01 AM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
I don't see how Bozak fits the 3C spot at all. Maybe in NHL13 but not in real life, especially in the playoffs.
Agreed. The Canucks get criticized constantly for getting pushed around, while not having enough push back of their own, and yet we want Bozak in the 3C role? Why we don't try Lapierre for 3C is beyond me. Lapierre brings it all, and I honestly think he can chip in offensively a bit while in a 3C role.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:03 AM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Haha no kidding, one of my biggest gripes with AV.

But if Kadri shows he can bring the offense and Raymond doesn't I think AV would have to wouldn't he?
Yes, he would keep Kadri on the second line if he produced, but Kadri likely wouldn't even get a shot. If he did, it wouldn't take long before he gets yanked off the second line. AV likes to slowly groom his younger guys, and have them earn their minutes and a chance at a promotion up the lines. IMO, Kassian would get a shot on the second line long before Kadri would.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:03 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Kassian would actually be the ideal compliment to Kesler and Booth. Pass first, great IQ, can work the cycle well, can keep up with the skating and of course has size. Here's to hoping he can improve his consistency so that our 2nd line will be a threat to score every time.
Maybe.

The issue i see is Kassian is a cycle/lateral type guy with a bit of playing making flying down the wing.

Kesler and Booth are much more fly down the wing players. Youd have to have both Kesler and Booth be able to slow their game down and find the open ice.

Kass plays a game a little closer to the style of the Sedins.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:05 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
2nd line or bust under AV. No way he'd carry a guy who can't play quality defense in the bottom 6 if they guy does not bring some size/physicality.

Last edited by me2: 01-07-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old
01-07-2013, 12:21 AM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Yes, he would keep Kadri on the second line if he produced, but Kadri likely wouldn't even get a shot. If he did, it wouldn't take long before he gets yanked off the second line. AV likes to slowly groom his younger guys, and have them earn their minutes and a chance at a promotion up the lines. IMO, Kassian would get a shot on the second line long before Kadri would.
I don't think Kadri is any worse than Schroeder defensively and AV may not have the luxury to wait forever for the younger guys. With a tighter salary cap, you have to get meaningful contributions from guys on entry level contracts. Once Kesler returns, Kadri could be moved to the wing where he has less defensive responsibility.

Our last 2 playoff series were similar in that our offense sputtered and died with injuries to key front line players. Some offensive scoring depth might have got us past the Kings in the first round last year.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:27 AM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Would Bozak + Kadri + 1st be a robbery for Burke?
Pretty close IMO. A 1st and one of their top 4 prospects is what I'd expect, but Bozak holds virtually zero value for me. The 3rd piece has to be a lot better, def not a pending UFA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I can see Bozak potentially being part of a deal, but merely as a warm body. With Kesler still injured and no concrete timetable for his return, this team could use another capable top 9 center, enter Bozak.

That said, no way he's the center piece or even an integral part of any Luongo trade. He's a warm body, that can fill a short term need on a short term contract, nothing more. Names such as Kadri, Kulemin, Frattin, Finn, 1st round pick(not a name I know), will be the integral pieces of any deal.
Ya I hear yah. But I'd prefer they didn't trade a valuable asset for a warm body who'll likely be gone in 6 months. It's not worth it, esp when they have Ebbett/Schroeder/Lappy/Higgins to fill a short term need. Ideally, no trade is made w/ Tor. I'd like to see them get a goalie cause I have a soft spot for Cdn teams - but they just don't have the assets IMO.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:36 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
I don't think Kadri is any worse than Schroeder defensively and AV may not have the luxury to wait forever for the younger guys. With a tighter salary cap, you have to get meaningful contributions from guys on entry level contracts. Once Kesler returns, Kadri could be moved to the wing where he has less defensive responsibility.

Our last 2 playoff series were similar in that our offense sputtered and died with injuries to key front line players. Some offensive scoring depth might have got us past the Kings in the first round last year.
Schroeder is much better defensively. Like not Close IMO.

Kadri is a floater. He's got nice hands but that's about it. He's not a player that helps us now IMO. He's waiver eligible next year and I don't think he'll be up to it next year either.

I think Lu ends up in Sunrise.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:54 AM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

I would prefer if we take one of T.O's soon to be UFAs it be McArthur. He seems like a decent playmaker, it would be nice to have someone in the top 6 who actually know how to pass besides HS. Booth and Kesler need someone to dish them the puck more often instead of trying to superman it in the net all the time.

McArthur
Kadri/Frattin
Biggs
Blacker
1st

For

Luongo
Raymond
5th

Old
01-07-2013, 01:06 AM
Crows*

Lots of bozak hate in here.

I'm indifferent to him but what I have noticed about most of his goals is that he's usually right in prime scoring areas in front of the net. Tips, rebounds and has a good shot.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:13 AM
David71

why does it have to be toronto. they don't have the pieces that van wants. add a third team to the mix. lets see how well luongo plays over the course of the season and maybe more teams are in the mix.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:16 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
why does it have to be toronto. they don't have the pieces that van wants. add a third team to the mix. lets see how well luongo plays over the course of the season and maybe more teams are in the mix.
i think Luongo has established himself enough to this point that teams know what kind of goaltender they would be getting...

Lots of Bozak bashing. The guy is alright, near 50 points last year and his numbers his first 3 seasons aren't bad at all, he is a huge upgrade over Malhotra and Lappy for 3rd line C anyways.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:20 AM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
As others have mentioned, Bozak doesn't have the two-way game to play a third line role with the Canucks, especially under Vigneault. Kadri just seems like the kind of young player with fragile confidence AV would make mince meat out of, so I'd pass on him too.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:22 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
As others have mentioned, Bozak doesn't have the two-way game to play a third line role with the Canucks, especially under Vigneault. Kadri just seems like the kind of young player with fragile confidence AV would make mince meat out of, so I'd pass on him too.
There is no law that says your 3rd line C has to be a defensive stalwart. In our case we can get away with someone like Bozak there because Hansen and Higgins are extremely sound on the defensive side.

It's painfull obvious we need better secondary scoring from lines 2-4, I'm sure Gillis knows that.

Closed Thread