HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Six players who will be ready for season

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-07-2013, 12:03 AM
  #101
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
....and last year the Penguins were supposed to win the Cup and just walk all over the competition right?

Too bad those unfair refs stopped the "untouchable" Crosby and his second fiddle centerman in Malkin from beating the helpless Flyers

Without only looking at stats but by judging Crosby on the way he played last year, other than that first game against the Islanders, how many times was Crosby actually dominant? How many of the points he scored were meaningful and not just garbage points where his team was up 4-1 already in the the 3rd period after it was Malkin who had a part on pretty much all those first 4 goals? The Penguins got on a hot streak long before Crosby got back, he just rode Malkin's coattails the rest of the season. If Malkin doesn't go beast mode in the second half, Crosby doesn't score half of those points last season no matter how well rested he was. In the 22 games that Crosby played, it was Malkin who faced the opposing teams' best defensive assignments, best defenses and shadowing. It wasn't Crosby so it made it easier for him to have more open ice to put up points. This year BTW, neither will have Staal to rely on if they are having an off night. They are no longer as deep at center as they once were and I think Staal's departure will have a much larger effect (and not necessarily a positive one) on Crosby and Malkin's stats.

Crosby's been training hard, good for him. Some players have been training just as hard and have actually played some meaningful games this year. They'll be ready to go when the puck drops.

The only negative thing that's going to come out of this lockout being settled is having to see Crosby's massive nostrils being thrown in our faces every game and every post-game game coverage. Crosby makes a routine pass "Oh wow, did you just see that amazing pass that Crosby made? No one in the league can make that pass, that's something only Gretzky could have pulled".

When Malkin scores a hattrick; "Malkin's a great player but when healthy, Crosby's the best player in the NHL quite decisively. What other players like Giroux, Kovalchuk that actually manage to remain healthy do is irrelevant to the NHL. Crosby farts gold dust".

I can't wait for this award winning hockey coverage and commentating to resume.
To the part in bold, I'll say 3 games and take the under okay.

See since we aren't counting the nYI game and he was scoreless in 7 other games, you are going to need to show where Sid started getting points after the Pens were up by 4 heck even 3 goals with Malkin being involved in say just 2 of them before Sid scored his "pile on points" as you call them.

I went to the Ottawa game were sid has 3 assists in the 1st period (Malkin has 2 goals) to give Pitt a 4-1 lead, but alas Sid didn't pile on any points in that game.

Like I said try to find 3 games like what your scenario suggests.

We are at 9 games here you have 13 games to look at, I'll take the under on 3.

Talking about piling on points and useless scoring, your heroes Wayne and Mario were great for that, but that's a whole other story isn't it?

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:09 AM
  #102
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby
 
Jabba11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,382
vCash: 500
How many points John Tavares will put up in 48-50 games?

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:21 AM
  #103
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
I hate to make this very generalized statement but I think Crosby is about to make a ********** statement. He's well rested and he's been working out like crazy.
I was reading in the Hockey News that his teammates are freaked out by how much faster and stronger he is than last year.

Holy **** if that is true, look out.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:27 AM
  #104
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
Let's see, the player that won the Art Ross (for the 2nd time last year) and also won the Hart and Lindsay trophies played on the Penguins and his name is not Crosby.

Malkin has 1 Conn Smythe, 1 Calder, 2 Art Ross trophies, 1 Hart and 1 Lindsay/ Pearson while Crosby has but 1 Art Ross, 1 Hart, 1 Pearson/ Lindsay, no Calder, no Conn Smythe and 1 Rocket Richard despite playing 8 more games than the guy that trailed him by just 1 goal for the award.
Friggin' underachiever.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:55 AM
  #105
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,449
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
How many points John Tavares will put up in 48-50 games?
45-50 in 48 imo

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:59 AM
  #106
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby
 
Jabba11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
45-50 in 48 imo
if you had to choose between Tavares and Eberle for a fantasy pool..who do you choose?

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:09 AM
  #107
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oulu
Posts: 8,725
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
if you had to choose between Tavares and Eberle for a fantasy pool..who do you choose?
Tavares.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:11 AM
  #108
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,449
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
if you had to choose between Tavares and Eberle for a fantasy pool..who do you choose?
Definitely Tavares, but its closer than some people think

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:23 AM
  #109
Trvp Lord
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
I really feel like Tavares takes a ton of the top awards this year. You all will see. He went to Switzerland and made everyone his *****.
Brunner went to Switzerland and made everyone his ***** too.

Trvp Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:34 AM
  #110
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
He didn't set the league on fire no but he did have 41 Pts in his first 40 games before his injury which was good enough for 9th in league scoring at that point and this was despite having taken a good 10 games to simply regain his timing for the faster NHL game after being away from it for 3 seasons in the KHL where the pace of the game is slower due to the larger ice surfaces. Jagr didn't prepare himself well for the game last season as he was 240 lbs and he thought the game was still the way it was when he left it in 2007-08 when he would just use his body and size along the boards and play a cycle game. He admitted this himself.

He lost the weight and dropped down to 220 lbs in the offseason for a reason. http://m.espn.go.com/nhl/playerupdate?playerId=405&wjb=





... but I guess most hockey experts have no idea what they are talking about right? I don't see Hemsky and Krejci who are both a decade younger than Jagr if not more putting up those kinds of numbers in the same league this year.
Okay I won't hold you to Jagr winning the Art Ross which was obviously a joke on your part right, but he isn't even going tob e in the top 20 in scoring.

Do you even watch the NHL or do you live in some past universe where Jagr and his mullet are still powering through the players in the 90's?

Jagr was a complimentary player in Philly last season pure and simple.

Good for his age but not Art Ross worthy.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:44 AM
  #111
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Definitely Tavares, but its closer than some people think
Define close? At some point Eberle and RNH are going to need to make more starts in all zones if the Oilers want to finish higher than 29th.

If you look at the history of the NHL, and more recently Eberle's shooting % will probably not be sustainable and will fluctuate.

I would take Tavares as he has a chance to be a 100 point player, Eberle will probably top out at 85 or so.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:01 PM
  #112
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,073
vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Define close? At some point Eberle and RNH are going to need to make more starts in all zones if the Oilers want to finish higher than 29th.

If you look at the history of the NHL, and more recently Eberle's shooting % will probably not be sustainable and will fluctuate.

I would take Tavares as he has a chance to be a 100 point player, Eberle will probably top out at 85 or so.
So eberle in your mind has basically topped off where his career year will be?

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:21 PM
  #113
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Okay I won't hold you to Jagr winning the Art Ross which was obviously a joke on your part right, but he isn't even going tob e in the top 20 in scoring.

Do you even watch the NHL or do you live in some past universe where Jagr and his mullet are still powering through the players in the 90's?

Jagr was a complimentary player in Philly last season pure and simple.

Good for his age but not Art Ross worthy.
Do you happen to recall any of his posts before last season? Same stuff about how Jagr is going to score 1000 points and win every award etc etc etc.

Can't speak for non-NYR players but I'm sure Lundqvist will be ready for the season and I'm sure I'm pumped to see him get back in the net.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:13 PM
  #114
DatsyukNBure*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
Malkin - Crosby - Lundqvist
Tavares - Quick
Sedins

DatsyukNBure* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:48 PM
  #115
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Do you happen to recall any of his posts before last season? Same stuff about how Jagr is going to score 1000 points and win every award etc etc etc.

Can't speak for non-NYR players but I'm sure Lundqvist will be ready for the season and I'm sure I'm pumped to see him get back in the net.
I have never said he would score 1000 Pts. I'm simply upset about the way Jagr gets underrated in almost any context, now or all-time.

I'm done with these arguments though. I'm simply happy the season is starting and I look forward to a fun and exciting season.

I'm done with these prediction threads. Even when one brings valid arguments to the table, I get ridiculed. I'm a hockey fan just like anyone else. I have a favorite player just like everyone else.

Is it so bad to think that Jagr will be ready for the season? Is it the end of the world to predict that? Is it the end of the world to think that he will be much better than last season? Is it the end of the world to think he can be a top 10 scorer? It's a short season and with him being already in game shape and playing at a very high, dominant level in one of the top 3 leagues in Europe, is it so bad to think that he will have an easier time to get into the swing of the season than other players who have been inactive? I get it, I get, it's a young man's sport, but Jagr wouldn't be in the NHL just to collect another paycheque. He left for Dallas because the Stars organization (Nieuwendyk among other people) promised him a primary role in the Dallas offense and powerplay. He won't be a secondary player like he was in Philly. That's it, I have said what I had to say.

Good luck guys!!


Last edited by livewell68: 01-07-2013 at 09:21 PM.
livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:41 PM
  #116
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
if you had to choose between Tavares and Eberle for a fantasy pool..who do you choose?
Tavares forsure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
If you look at the history of the NHL, and more recently Eberle's shooting % will probably not be sustainable and will fluctuate.
So what you're saying is... it's unsustainable?

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:18 PM
  #117
Bieber fever
Registered User
 
Bieber fever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westmount
Posts: 5,080
vCash: 500
LOL @ jagr

Is this the 90's ?? Kid is a second liner on many teams lol

Bieber fever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:22 PM
  #118
Puckgenius*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: At the rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,558
vCash: 500
Theres no question that Crosby wins the Art Ross, taking he stays healthy. Even if he misses 10 games, he probably will still win it.

Most big stars havent been training heavily, but instead enjoying martinis and Pina Colodas under the sun

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:36 PM
  #119
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Theres no question that Crosby wins the Art Ross, taking he stays healthy. Even if he misses 10 games, he probably will still win it.

Most big stars havent been training heavily, but instead enjoying martinis and Pina Colodas under the sun
I don;t know about that. Malkin, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin and Datsyuk say hello.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:36 PM
  #120
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
LOL @ jagr

Is this the 90's ?? Kid is a second liner on many teams lol
Let the season begin.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:42 PM
  #121
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
I expect greatness from this kid. Some may say he's not good enough to live up to that type of expectation, but I think he is. I just know he is. Some day, and some day soon, Tavares will lead us deep into the playoffs. And all of Long Island will celebrate. I'm tired of being negative, man. We can have hope just like everybody else. With the Barclays Center our new home in 2 years, I just know we have brighter days ahead. And that begins with a long run this year.

See you in the finals
I'm kind of dumbfounded with the drastic change in your attitude. Did someone hijack your account?

Agreed though, Tavares was a beast for SC Bern and it'll carry over to the NHL.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:48 PM
  #122
bluegreen
Registered User
 
bluegreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
He didn't set the league on fire no but he did have 41 Pts in his first 40 games before his injury which was good enough for 9th in league scoring at that point and this was despite having taken a good 10 games to simply regain his timing for the faster NHL game after being away from it for 3 seasons in the KHL where the pace of the game is slower due to the larger ice surfaces. Jagr didn't prepare himself well for the game last season as he was 240 lbs and he thought the game was still the way it was when he left it in 2007-08 when he would just use his body and size along the boards and play a cycle game. He admitted this himself.

He lost the weight and dropped down to 220 lbs in the offseason for a reason. http://m.espn.go.com/nhl/playerupdate?playerId=405&wjb=





... but I guess most hockey experts have no idea what they are talking about right? I don't see Hemsky and Krejci who are both a decade younger than Jagr if not more putting up those kinds of numbers in the same league this year.
So when people are talking about how great Crosby is when he's healthy you disagree and go on about his nostrils, refs etc.

But when somebody brings up how old Jagr is you start going on about how great he was last year when he's healthy.

You can't have it both ways.

bluegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:02 AM
  #123
bluegreen
Registered User
 
bluegreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
I have never said he would score 1000 Pts. I'm simply upset about the way Jagr gets underrated in almost any context, now or all-time.

I'm done with these arguments though. I'm simply happy the season is starting and I look forward to a fun and exciting season.

I'm done with these prediction threads. Even when one brings valid arguments to the table, I get ridiculed. I'm a hockey fan just like anyone else. I have a favorite player just like everyone else.

Is it so bad to think that Jagr will be ready for the season? Is it the end of the world to predict that? Is it the end of the world to think that he will be much better than last season? Is it the end of the world to think he can be a top 10 scorer? It's a short season and with him being already in game shape and playing at a very high, dominant level in one of the top 3 leagues in Europe, is it so bad to think that he will have an easier time to get into the swing of the season than other players who have been inactive? I get it, I get, it's a young man's sport, but Jagr wouldn't be in the NHL just to collect another paycheque. He left for Dallas because the Stars organization (Nieuwendyk among other people) promised him a primary role in the Dallas offense and powerplay. He won't be a secondary player like he was in Philly. That's it, I have said what I had to say.

Good luck guys!!
For the record I like Jagr and was impressed with him last year. That being said he's been out east his entire career. I don't think the western travel schedule is going to do him any favors at his age. I think you could spot him 10 pts. and he still doesn't crack the top ten. But at the place he's at in his career in no way is that a slight on him.

bluegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.