HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Jack Campbell vs John Gibson

View Poll Results: Campbell vs Gibson
Jack Campbell 16 20.51%
John Gibson 62 79.49%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2013, 05:27 AM
  #26
Romang67
BitterSwede
 
Romang67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maryland
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
You don't know anything about goaltending.

His rebound control was all over the place, if you can't see it I suggest a new prescription. Making "big saves" when you're supposed to win a game isn't as hard as stealing a game. Do you also think brodeur deserved the conn smythe over giguere the year the devils won the cup? Because facing 20 shots a game and one or two "big chances" was harder than what giguere did?

You're also judging a player's mental fortitude as a definitive trait at age 19. You should probably reconsider such a line of thinking.

No he doesn't make things look easy. If you knew anything about goaltending, which you don't, you would realize he makes everything look more complicated than it needs to be. You also think rinne doesn't lose his net a lot and thusly has great positioning. You can call what I say absurd, but it is factual. Remember when you and several others quoted great positioning by showing saves of rinne diving at the puck after being out of position? That is absurd. Remember when you said winning a game you are supposed is harder than stealing a game? That is absurd.

And yes it matters how you make saves, because that is how you find out what translates to the next level. How else do you think scouts learn about players and pick who is going to be great at the next level? Do you think simon gamache, keith aucoin, and alexandre giroux were unfairly treated because despite how bad it looked at the AHL level they put up points? What about JP vigier, yannick lehoux, and the unending list of benders at lower levels who weren't good enough to make the NHL for visible reasons despite putting up an extreme amount of points.

If you want goalie examples, how about you look at any top statistic goalie list in the AHL for the past 30 years and examine how many of those elite stat guys aren't good enough to be good in the NHL. Travis Scott, Jason Labarbera, Al Montoya, Curtis McElhinney, Nathan Lawson, Nolan Schaefer, and the list goes on and on and on and on. Of course i'm sure you'll retort and say this argument is absurd even though it is based in reality. Are you also going to run around banging the tebow all he does is win drum?
This is fun. Not only because you are one of the very few people (if not the only) to have complained about Gibson, but that you assume that if people don't agree with you regarding his play, they know nothing about goaltending.

But fine, I'll play. I know A LOT about goaltending, and I don't agree with you in the slightest. There is nothing wrong with his rebound control, and you don't even give examples, you just say that if he doesn't see it, he's blind. He was very aware of were the puck was after he made a save (you know, as in having control when the puck rebounded off him). It seems like you want him to be a blocking goaltender, and have already made up your mind about it, when this isn't true.

The one thing you actually are right about is that he seems to end up on his bum from time to time, but he is also very quick to get up from that position, and is also quite successful making saves from that position, and in controlling the rebounds.

I had actually forgotten who it was that was blind in his hate towards Gibson, so it's nice to see you showing your head and (wrongful) opinions on him.

Fact is, he is a very big and athletic goaltender, who is successful in both the OHL and now the WJC. There is really nothing that shows that he would have problems in the NHL in the future.

And if you knew ANYTHING about goaltending, you would know how hard it is to have high quality scoring chances coming against you when your team is owning the play. The fact that your making fun of the other guy who said this makes me question if you've ever played goalie, or if you're just guessing.

Romang67 is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:26 AM
  #27
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic
 
Vipers31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bergisch Gladbach
Country: Germany
Posts: 13,075
vCash: 500
First of all, thanks @Romang, for addressing some of the points. That last part was precisely what I kept wondering.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
You don't know anything about goaltending.
I'm confident enough I know my fair share, and significantly more about it than you, based on your entire body of work on this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
Making "big saves" when you're supposed to win a game isn't as hard as stealing a game. Do you also think brodeur deserved the conn smythe over giguere the year the devils won the cup? Because facing 20 shots a game and one or two "big chances" was harder than what giguere did?
I have no idea what you're even talking about here. Making big saves is part of stealing games, and when the pressure isn't consistently on your side, that can be a lot harder for the goalie than facing a ton of shots. Every goalie knows that. Your Giguere/Brodeur comparision is quite misplaced, since that (obviously) doesn't infer that you can't do a better job facing constant pressure. But it's well known to be more comfortable for most goalies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
You're also judging a player's mental fortitude as a definitive trait at age 19. You should probably reconsider such a line of thinking.
You should probably reconsider interpreting stuff. His mental fortitude is a trait he has shown over the last few years, and it became almost tangible in this tournament, as well. There's no definitive statement about the future in there unless you understand it as a given that such traits are definitive to begin with. It's a mere observation, partially my own, partially of his coaches and teammates, partially of the many that follow him closely, of his play at the level he has played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
No he doesn't make things look easy. If you knew anything about goaltending, which you don't, you would realize he makes everything look more complicated than it needs to be.
You have a messed up picture of goaltending in your head, for all I care. He does a very good job of giving himself the best odds to stop shots. Whether you feel that's too complicated couldn't be more irrelevant. And when you feel that way, that just illustrates your insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
You also think rinne doesn't lose his net a lot and thusly has great positioning.
There I am, remembering that conversation, how you basically had to realize that his quite succesful trade-off towards aggressiveness that leads to not wanting to play entirely conservatively couldn't sensibly be understood to constitute bad positioning, but I realize I was mistaken. Well, I'm taking from this that I don't need to waste my time hoping for you to be able to question your own baseless thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
You can call what I say absurd, but it is factual.
It's almost comical at that point. You couldn't try harder to be less focused on facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
Remember when you and several others quoted great positioning by showing saves of rinne diving at the puck after being out of position? That is absurd. Remember when you said winning a game you are supposed is harder than stealing a game? That is absurd.
It indeed is absurd, because I never did either - I never show saves from a goalie to prove a point about his play (because that's absurd), and that second "quote" is entirely made up, constructed out of a very different (and rather basic) point. That you're still unable - actually, I am lead to believe that you're rather just unwilling - to understand all facets of goaltending and all that good positioning includes is your issue to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
And yes it matters how you make saves, because that is how you find out what translates to the next level. How else do you think scouts learn about players and pick who is going to be great at the next level?
I didn't see that common - a statement that's actually entirely worthy of agreement, and only such. I actually said the same thing in a different thread yesterday. I never said it doesn't matter what it looks like, by the way. I said it doesn't matter how you feel about it, because that seems entirely arbitrary, and I saw play that's a remarkable and outstanding basis to translate to the next level, even more so compared to the other statistically impressive goalie performances at the World Juniors over much of the last decade. You're unwilling to see that, I know, based on whatever you're willing to make up, or overemphasize about certain plays. Well, enjoy that.


Last edited by Vipers31: 01-06-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Vipers31 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:46 AM
  #28
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING
 
BLASPHEMOUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,429
vCash: 450
Gibson has been consistent year after year, then he goes to the WJC and provides arguably the most solid performance in nets I've seen in my young life at the tourney. Campbell is erratic and has never really matched his WJC play outside of the tourney. I saw Campbell in Abbotsford earlier this year, he looked fine, let only one goal in on a relatively easy night.

For my money, I'll go with the guy who has shown more consistency and better numbers. He looks cool like a cucumber.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:53 AM
  #29
Aucoin11*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
This is fun. Not only because you are one of the very few people (if not the only) to have complained about Gibson, but that you assume that if people don't agree with you regarding his play, they know nothing about goaltending.

But fine, I'll play. I know A LOT about goaltending, and I don't agree with you in the slightest. There is nothing wrong with his rebound control, and you don't even give examples, you just say that if he doesn't see it, he's blind. He was very aware of were the puck was after he made a save (you know, as in having control when the puck rebounded off him). It seems like you want him to be a blocking goaltender, and have already made up your mind about it, when this isn't true.

The one thing you actually are right about is that he seems to end up on his bum from time to time, but he is also very quick to get up from that position, and is also quite successful making saves from that position, and in controlling the rebounds.

I had actually forgotten who it was that was blind in his hate towards Gibson, so it's nice to see you showing your head and (wrongful) opinions on him.

Fact is, he is a very big and athletic goaltender, who is successful in both the OHL and now the WJC. There is really nothing that shows that he would have problems in the NHL in the future.

And if you knew ANYTHING about goaltending, you would know how hard it is to have high quality scoring chances coming against you when your team is owning the play. The fact that your making fun of the other guy who said this makes me question if you've ever played goalie, or if you're just guessing.
I'm saying he knows nothing based on goaltending based on his comments he made there and previous comments he made.

Also I like how you say, "YOU DIDNT GIVE EXAMPLES ABOUT REBOUND CONTROL!!! DERP" and then you just exclaim that you know a lot about goaltending, sorry A LOT, without substantiating it in similar fashion. applause.

I also don't know where you drew this conclusion that I think he should be a blocking goalie or that I think he has bad puck vision. You just fabricated that.

To come back to the point I made previously about you contradicting yourself, this entire post is unsubstantiated without examples, if you want to play that game, and doesn't respond to the main thing I noted which was his mediocore skating which leads him to making saves look more complicated than they need to be.

Finally, obviously it's hard to make big saves without consistent action, that isn't the point I was making. Due to your CLEARLY, lackluster critical reading skills; but VAST knowledge of goaltending, you missed my point entirely.

I was making a comparison between making the occasional big save with minimal action and having to steal a game. He made it sound as if doing the former is more difficult, it isn't. If I was you I'd insert a line here and say derr derr I wonder if you've ever played goalie zurp.

That was "fun"

Aucoin11* is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 12:12 PM
  #30
Aucoin11*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
First of all, thanks @Romang, for addressing some of the points. That last part was precisely what I kept wondering.



I'm confident enough I know my fair share, and significantly more about it than you, based on your entire body of work on this site.


I have no idea what you're even talking about here. Making big saves is part of stealing games, and when the pressure isn't consistently on your side, that can be a lot harder for the goalie than facing a ton of shots. Every goalie knows that. Your Giguere/Brodeur comparision is quite misplaced, since that (obviously) doesn't infer that you can't do a better job facing constant pressure. But it's well known to be more comfortable for most goalies.


You should probably reconsider interpreting stuff. His mental fortitude is a trait he has shown over the last few years, and it became almost tangible in this tournament, as well. There's no definitive statement about the future in there unless you understand it as a given that such traits are definitive to begin with. It's a mere observation, partially my own, partially of his coaches and teammates, partially of the many that follow him closely, of his play at the level he has played.


You have a messed up picture of goaltending in your head, for all I care. He does a very good job of giving himself the best odds to stop shots. Whether you feel that's too complicated couldn't be more irrelevant. And when you feel that way, that just illustrates your insight.


There I am, remembering that conversation, how you basically had to realize that his quite succesful trade-off towards aggressiveness that leads to not wanting to play entirely conservatively couldn't sensibly be understood to constitute bad positioning, but I realize I was mistaken. Well, I'm taking from this that I don't need to waste my time hoping for you to be able to question your own baseless thinking.


It's almost comical at that point. You couldn't try harder to be less focused on facts.


It indeed is absurd, because I never did either - I never show saves from a goalie to prove a point about his play (because that's absurd), and that second "quote" is entirely made up, constructed out of a very different (and rather basic) point. That you're still unable - actually, I am lead to believe that you're rather just unwilling - to understand all facets of goaltending and all that good positioning includes is your issue to deal with.


I didn't see that common - a statement that's actually entirely worthy of agreement, and only such. I actually said the same thing in a different thread yesterday. I never said it doesn't matter what it looks like, by the way. I said it doesn't matter how you feel about it, because that seems entirely arbitrary, and I saw play that's a remarkable and outstanding basis to translate to the next level, even more so compared to the other statistically impressive goalie performances at the World Juniors over much of the last decade. You're unwilling to see that, I know, based on whatever you're willing to make up, or overemphasize about certain plays. Well, enjoy that.
#brickbrain

You have yet to substantiate that first claim with literally anything, and every subsequent post you makes only further shows my point.

You've missed the point on my comparison again. You said it was harder to make a big save with little action than to face constant pressure. That isn't true and moreover it really doesn't even match up to the point I was making.

Since the brodeur, giguere comparison and just general explanation completely went over your head I'll attempt to make a more simple comparison for you. It will most likely go over your head but it's worth giving a shot.

So are you saying canada's goalies in recent years, visentin's years in particular, had harder jobs than say mrazek? Or that in last years sweden russia gold medal game, swedens goalie had a harder job than makarov? Because really that's what youre saying with your whole "big save versus constant pressure" argument.

He's 19. Discussing his mental game as a definitive positive trait for the rest of his career is highly suspect and an intangible which you are basing here on quotes from other people and nothing definitive. It is even dumber to discuss because it is really difficult to measure properly and compare. So that is why we shouldn't discuss it.

No, I don't have a messed up view of goaltending. You have an incorrect view, where you don't properly understand what efficiency is, which explains your inability to see rinne's extreme lack of this trait. He is constantly scrambling around on his knees an unnecessary amount and falling into splits and rolling around. And now it's not like hiller so don't even make that comparison.

My thinking regarding rinne isn't baseless. Your inability to understand that I didn't consider it a negative the entire length of the discussion, but merely a trait of his game, is your own shortcoming.

It is also factual, but if you don't understand it and want to call it baseless you can do so, that is your own shortcoming, of which you clearly have many.

And I vaguely apologize if you weren't the one to link to random clips, I mistook you for the other deranged mod who took great offense to my comments regarding rinne.

The second quote was derived from the comment you made previously, and the one I addressed earlier in this post. If you would like to further amend or clarify your previous misguided statement you can feel free to do so, but until then saying "winning games you're supposed to is harder than constant pressure" will be interpreted as such, especially considering the context you were responding to at that moment.

It clearly matters how I feel about it because that is how I am substantiating what I'm saying. It isn't arbitrary at all, I've gone to great lengths to explain it. I can't be blamed if you can't grasp this.

You can randomly accuse me of making up things or whatever deranged accusation you so choose, but we'll see who is ultimately right in the end and if my accusations are as "baseless" as you believe. I wonder how much you hyped montoya all those years ago.

Aucoin11* is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 12:32 PM
  #31
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 24,834
vCash: 500
I hate to vote for "flavours of the week" in these kinds of polls, but I find myself more impressed with Gibson's junior/international performance this year than I was with Campbell's performance last year (even considering he had already cracked an AHL squad by the end of it). Campbell's progress has been excellent, but I think Gibson might end up the better goalie (especially if he can protect the open net beside his ears - one of the few weaknesses in some of his sprawls - against NHL shooters).

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 01:28 PM
  #32
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic
 
Vipers31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bergisch Gladbach
Country: Germany
Posts: 13,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
#brickbrain
Amazing. Even more amazing that you don't see the irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
You've missed the point on my comparison again. You said it was harder to make a big save with little action than to face constant pressure. That isn't true and moreover it really doesn't even match up to the point I was making.
The fact that you don't think it's true tells me all I need to know about your insight on goaltending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
Since the brodeur, giguere comparison and just general explanation completely went over your head I'll attempt to make a more simple comparison for you. It will most likely go over your head but it's worth giving a shot.
It didn't go over my head, it was just completely missing the point I made. Good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
You can randomly accuse me of making up things or whatever deranged accusation you so choose, but we'll see who is ultimately right in the end and if my accusations are as "baseless" as you believe. I wonder how much you hyped montoya all those years ago.
Yes, "randomly". My entire lack of "hyping" Montoya may shock you. And it's amazing to see you actually think we'll just see "who is ultimately" right, because I never made a statement that could really be proven wrong simply by Gibson not making the NHL. I never stated that as a fact, and I think that would be a dumb thing to do. All I did was call out your entirely inaccurate description of his alleged flaws you brought up.


I'm not going to bother discussing goaltending with you. My time is too valuable to go through your ignorant posts, filled with personal attacks. I have no idea how one can have such limited knowledge about a topic and still feel so educated about it to talk down to others to this degree. You claim to explain stuff, yet all you do is throw around some things like facts that have no basis in reality. That's not explaining, that's pulling things out your lower back. Everything else is wrong, and fundamental concepts seem to anger you.
You obviously don't want any education on the issue, although it's clear it would be needed. Enjoy your time here.


Last edited by Vipers31: 01-06-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Vipers31 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 02:41 PM
  #33
DuckJet
Poster of the Year
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 46,505
vCash: 69
My favorite was the point that other USA goalies did well and then busted means it will certainly happen to Gibson as well. Because historical precedent is an unbreakable chain as sound as the laws of gravity itself.

Aucoin11 you're just embarrassing yourself here. And in all my years of posting I haven't seen someone as rude as you. And that's saying something around here.

DuckJet is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 03:34 PM
  #34
Romang67
BitterSwede
 
Romang67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maryland
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
I'm saying he knows nothing based on goaltending based on his comments he made there and previous comments he made.

Also I like how you say, "YOU DIDNT GIVE EXAMPLES ABOUT REBOUND CONTROL!!! DERP" and then you just exclaim that you know a lot about goaltending, sorry A LOT, without substantiating it in similar fashion. applause.

I also don't know where you drew this conclusion that I think he should be a blocking goalie or that I think he has bad puck vision. You just fabricated that.

To come back to the point I made previously about you contradicting yourself, this entire post is unsubstantiated without examples, if you want to play that game, and doesn't respond to the main thing I noted which was his mediocore skating which leads him to making saves look more complicated than they need to be.

Finally, obviously it's hard to make big saves without consistent action, that isn't the point I was making. Due to your CLEARLY, lackluster critical reading skills; but VAST knowledge of goaltending, you missed my point entirely.

I was making a comparison between making the occasional big save with minimal action and having to steal a game. He made it sound as if doing the former is more difficult, it isn't. If I was you I'd insert a line here and say derr derr I wonder if you've ever played goalie zurp.

That was "fun"
Your valiant attempts at seeming like you have something to say by throwing out ad hominems are quite cute. It's reminding me of the 3rd graders I used to teach.

Anyhow, he isn't making the claim that it's easier to steal a game than to make the occasional big save. You claiming that proves that you either have realized that you are wrong and now have to attack strawmen, or that you can't read.

He's saying, just like I am saying, that it's harder to have to come up with the big save on few occasions during the game, than to be under pressure for a longer time during the game, since (and this is something that everyone that has played goalie knows, hence my doubt that you've ever suited up in net) it means you have to stay focused on the play during the long stretches of time when you have nothing to do, which is much easier said than done.

And the thing is, every single person that have ever played in net would say the same thing. You hear goalie's commenting on it every single time they are interviewed during a game when there aren't alot of shots on them. It's not like it's a secret, it's general knowledge among most hockey fans, and the most obvious thing in the world for anyone who has ever strapped on those big pads.

And your argument that his skating is bad is just straight up laughable. I can't even give it a better response than to say that it's wrong.

So, big guy, you wanna have a real adult conversation, or do you want to throw tantrums and insults? Cause if you actually want to have a discussion going about Rinne or Gibson, I'm sure way more people would be inclined to join in if you weren't behaving like a child.

Romang67 is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 05:33 PM
  #35
tony d
Follow your Nose
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,461
vCash: 500
Gibson

__________________
tony d is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 12:06 AM
  #36
Aucoin11*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Amazing. Even more amazing that you don't see the irony.


The fact that you don't think it's true tells me all I need to know about your insight on goaltending.


It didn't go over my head, it was just completely missing the point I made. Good job.


Yes, "randomly". My entire lack of "hyping" Montoya may shock you. And it's amazing to see you actually think we'll just see "who is ultimately" right, because I never made a statement that could really be proven wrong simply by Gibson not making the NHL. I never stated that as a fact, and I think that would be a dumb thing to do. All I did was call out your entirely inaccurate description of his alleged flaws you brought up.


I'm not going to bother discussing goaltending with you. My time is too valuable to go through your ignorant posts, filled with personal attacks. I have no idea how one can have such limited knowledge about a topic and still feel so educated about it to talk down to others to this degree. You claim to explain stuff, yet all you do is throw around some things like facts that have no basis in reality. That's not explaining, that's pulling things out your lower back. Everything else is wrong, and fundamental concepts seem to anger you.
You obviously don't want any education on the issue, although it's clear it would be needed. Enjoy your time here.
The irony of your post is that every criticism you have laid on me, you've repeated in response. From the personal attacks, to unsubstantiated claims, and so on. It's a wonderful demonstration in irony.

I'll restate the context of this whole difficulty of saves thing, since it's gone over your head once again. Perhaps then you might see your error or where you turned wrong on your little trek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
In both elimination games USA controlled play and clearly deserved to win both, .
Response by you,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
making such saves when your own team controlls the play is actually more difficult than making saves when your team is under pressure right from the opening face off. Every goalie knows that, and it's quite impressive and speaks volumes about Gibson's mental fortitude that he always remained as sharp as he was, even when the wasn't facing as much action. That's a premier trait of a quality netminder.
So in the context of my initial response, you are essentially saying, it is harder to make saves when your team deserves to win the game. Which ultimately lead to my further comparisons regarding giguere/brodeur, Canadian goalies in recent wjcs, and so forth. Which you, conveniently, ignored. Most likely because you are unbelievably incapable of understanding when you are wrong. Which is, most likely, why you are abandoning this discussion.

That said, I do wish my time was too valuable to post on a message board where I have nearly 6000 posts.


Last edited by Aucoin11*: 01-07-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Aucoin11* is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 12:15 AM
  #37
Aucoin11*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Your valiant attempts at seeming like you have something to say by throwing out ad hominems are quite cute. It's reminding me of the 3rd graders I used to teach.

Anyhow, he isn't making the claim that it's easier to steal a game than to make the occasional big save. You claiming that proves that you either have realized that you are wrong and now have to attack strawmen, or that you can't read.

He's saying, just like I am saying, that it's harder to have to come up with the big save on few occasions during the game, than to be under pressure for a longer time during the game, since (and this is something that everyone that has played goalie knows, hence my doubt that you've ever suited up in net) it means you have to stay focused on the play during the long stretches of time when you have nothing to do, which is much easier said than done.

And the thing is, every single person that have ever played in net would say the same thing. You hear goalie's commenting on it every single time they are interviewed during a game when there aren't alot of shots on them. It's not like it's a secret, it's general knowledge among most hockey fans, and the most obvious thing in the world for anyone who has ever strapped on those big pads.

And your argument that his skating is bad is just straight up laughable. I can't even give it a better response than to say that it's wrong.

So, big guy, you wanna have a real adult conversation, or do you want to throw tantrums and insults? Cause if you actually want to have a discussion going about Rinne or Gibson, I'm sure way more people would be inclined to join in if you weren't behaving like a child.
I like how you, similar to the other guy, is responding to my "childish tone" by acting condescending and just saying things like "I know A LOT about goaltending." Perhaps before you should look in a mirror before throwing stones yes?

Let's review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
Not impressed with rebound control or skating ability. He is constantly falling on his bum and makes everything look far more complicated than it needs to be.

In both elimination games USA controlled play and clearly deserved to win both, gibson's work load was extremely minor and for the most part the defense helped him out an enormous amount and made his lackluster rebound control irrelevant. Similar to holtby last year in the playoffs.
Using my elite reading skills here I don't see any mention of calling his skating bad. So I guess you can keep laughing with your own elite reading skills oh wise teacher of 3rd graders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
So, big guy, you wanna have a real adult conversation, or do you want to throw tantrums and insults?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Your valiant attempts at seeming like you have something to say by throwing out ad hominems are quite cute. It's reminding me of the 3rd graders I used to teach.
lol. Wasn't aware this was how adult conversations are held. Forgive me sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
And if you knew ANYTHING about goaltending,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
It's not like it's a secret, it's general knowledge among most hockey fans, and the most obvious thing in the world for anyone who has ever strapped on those big pads.

And your argument that his skating is bad is just straight up laughable. I can't even give it a better response than to say that it's wrong.
So to recap, the path to an adult conversation is a remarkably condescending tone filled with veiled insults.

I mean, if that's the case than I'm pretty sure we were already having one, but if you say otherwise okay.

By the way, my adult mentor and fantastic teacher of children, if you want to respond to the shot difficulty comparison I made earlier instead of just claiming I've never worn pads based on remarkably weak inference, then feel free. I know Vipers won't, his time is far too valuable to waste with a child like me.


Last edited by Aucoin11*: 01-07-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Aucoin11* is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 12:25 AM
  #38
Aucoin11*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
My favorite was the point that other USA goalies did well and then busted means it will certainly happen to Gibson as well. Because historical precedent is an unbreakable chain as sound as the laws of gravity itself.

Aucoin11 you're just embarrassing yourself here. And in all my years of posting I haven't seen someone as rude as you. And that's saying something around here.
Yeah, that didn't happen.

Aucoin11* is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 12:26 AM
  #39
DuckJet
Poster of the Year
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 46,505
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
The irony of your post is that every criticism you have laid on me, you've repeated in response. From the personal attacks, to unsubstantiated claims, and so on. It's a wonderful demonstration in irony.

I'll restate the context of this whole difficulty of saves thing, since it's gone over your head once again. Perhaps then you might see your error or where you turned wrong on your little trek.



Response by you,



So in the context of my initial response, you are essentially saying, it is harder to make saves when your team deserves to win the game. Which ultimately lead to my further comparisons regarding giguere/brodeur, Canadian goalies in recent wjcs, and so forth. Which you, conveniently, ignored. Most likely because you are unbelievably incapable of understanding when you are wrong. Which is, most likely, why you are abandoning this discussion.

That said, I do wish my time was too valuable to post on a message board where I have nearly 6000 posts.
it's hilarious to see you, the guy calling people brick-brain, ***** about personal attacks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
So to recap, the path to an adult conversation is a remarkably condescending tone filled with veiled insults.
What's that smell? It smells so strong! It smells almost like...no...it's definitely hypocrisy.

The entire response you spewed was a source of utter hilarity. It's perfectly fine to be a complete *** to others but when it happens to you, oh lord, save us for we have sinned.

DuckJet is online now  
Old
01-07-2013, 12:31 AM
  #40
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,238
vCash: 500
Campbells probably barely a top 10 goalie prospect, I think Gibson is probably the third best one out there. Campbell is menally weak and doesnt have the stats to match his supposed talent level people talk about. Look at him in the OHL and AHL.

Then look at Gibson who has consistently been near the top of those leagues statistically but also has no questions about his mental game.

Campbell shouldnt be as highly regarded as he is

newfy is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 01:27 AM
  #41
Aucoin11*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
it's hilarious to see you, the guy calling people brick-brain, ***** about personal attacks.



What's that smell? It smells so strong! It smells almost like...no...it's definitely hypocrisy.

The entire response you spewed was a source of utter hilarity. It's perfectly fine to be a complete *** to others but when it happens to you, oh lord, save us for we have sinned.
You missed the point I was making. Not surprising.

Aucoin11* is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 02:39 AM
  #42
piqued
Registered User
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 32,014
vCash: 3722
Well this devolved quickly.

Closed.

piqued is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.