HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 - 2013 lines

Old
01-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

vCash: 500
Strome is in his 4th year in Juniors. Its time to move on. Ahl or NHL.

Riseonfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Renbarg

Moulson - JT - Boyes
bailey - Nielsen - Okposo
Grabner - Ullstrom - Joenssuu
Martin - Reasoner - Boulton

Hamonic - Visnovsky
Streit - Mac
Carkner - Donovan

Nabby
Dipietro
Nilsson/Poulin (I think we will see both up and down all year)

Nino will be the first call up for wings. Nelson (if healthy) for center. Ness for dmen.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:21 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Is Garth going to waste Strome's first year of his entry level contract on a 50 game season? Our lineup has a lot of question marks as it is and Hamonic and Grabner are not currently healthy. I see us really struggling and we are one injury away on that defense from another top five pick. Don't forget, Parenteau is now gone. He was good for 50-60 points and had chemistry on the first line. Boyes was a fourth liner for Buffalo who has been trending down for a few years now.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
Moulson-JT-Boyes
Bailey-Strome-Okposo
Grabner-Nielsen-ullstrom
Martin-cizikas-Joensuu
Boulton/Reasoner

Streit-hamonic
Amac-viz
Donovan-Carkner

Nabby
Poulin

I think strome will really impress in camp and make roster he has been dominate in juniors. If he doesn't make it i see isles signing Gomez cheap if he is baught out by habs.
I actually like these lines quite a bit. Although, the success of them really depends on:

1) Strome impressing enough to make the team

2) Strome actually being productive at the NHL level

Most importantly

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:00 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Strome is in his 4th year in Juniors. Its time to move on. Ahl or NHL.
Strome is not ready and we should not burn a year of his ELC on a 50 game season. It will be a Nino situation for him.
He will not be 20 until July 11 so he should go back to Niagara until he gets a shot at the Isles for 2013-14 season.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:22 PM
TheDrive1991
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Is Garth going to waste Strome's first year of his entry level contract on a 50 game season?
That is not the correct mindset to have. It's a 50 game season this year, that's what it is, plain and simple. Do everything you can to win in the present without hurting your future. If Strome makes the team, which could very well happen, it won't be a "waste" because he only played 50 games. It will be a full season of NHL experience where he gets to learn from JT and co, rather than dominating the OHL. The key is learning what it takes to be a winner in the NHL, the question is will he learn what to do from winning, or learn what not to do from losing. Winning solves everything

A winning 50 game season and a playoff berth(maybe beyond), would be nothing but great news for this franchise, even with burning years off of contracts for 32 less games.

Edit: please, Gomez is not the answer.

Last edited by TheDrive1991: 01-06-2013 at 02:28 PM.
TheDrive1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:33 PM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

Moulson - Tavares - Boyes
Ullstrom - Bailey - Okposo
Martin - Nielsen - Grabner
Joensuu - Reasoner - Boulton
McDonald/Niederreiter

Streit - Carkner
MacDonald - Hamonic
Donovan/Ness - Visnovsky/Ness
Ness/Katic/Wishart

Nabokov
DiPietro/Poulin

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
Moulson - Tavares - Boyes
Ullstrom - Bailey - Okposo
Martin - Nielsen - Grabner
Joensuu - Reasoner - Boulton
McDonald/Niederreiter

Streit - Carkner
MacDonald - Hamonic
Donovan/Ness - Visnovsky/Ness
Ness/Katic/Wishart

Nabokov
DiPietro/Poulin
NOOOOOO! keep bailey on wing where he played well at end of last year. Also cark not top line dman

Tavaresfan91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:37 PM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

Quote:
NOOOOOO! keep bailey on wing where he played well at end of last year. Also cark not top line dman
switch him and ullstrom then. carkner isn't a top line dman but they'll play him with streit to offset how underskilled he is. like what they did with gervais a couple of years ago

Old
01-06-2013, 04:21 PM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
switch him and ullstrom then. carkner isn't a top line dman but they'll play him with streit to offset how underskilled he is. like what they did with gervais a couple of years ago
I'd rather not do that why not put him on a 3rd pairing instead of against other teams top line when you can put hammer there and actually shut them down and play Cark and Donovan/ness against other teams checking lines

Old
01-06-2013, 04:51 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
Must be depressing for Frans Nielsen that after 6 years for NYI, only 50% of the fans know his name.
Still my favorite player and we do have some ignorant fans. I'd be amazed if Strome is centering a second line over Nielsen this season. This is a crappy lineup...maybe some of these players that played overseas can stuff some talent in their carry ons because we desperately need it. Where are we as far as the cap floor is concerned?

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:34 PM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

Quote:
I'd rather not do that why not put him on a 3rd pairing instead of against other teams top line when you can put hammer there and actually shut them down and play Cark and Donovan/ness against other teams checking lines
hamonic and macdonald are our shutdown pair. i think macdonald's d game is better than streit's and besides that, him and hamonic compliment each other really well.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:22 PM
steveat

You know..I totally forgot about Kitchton..Maybe he'll impress at camp..who knows.I'd love to see what this kid can do...hit or miss, but he'd be great for depth.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:26 PM
Hip Of Rick

I am pumped up for the season to start but after looking at the lines and roster again, this team looks horrendous. Its a good thing its a short year because we can get lucky and get hot for 10-15 games and make the playoffs. We also could suck as predicted and its less losing we have to suffer with

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:36 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Still my favorite player and we do have some ignorant fans. I'd be amazed if Strome is centering a second line over Nielsen this season. This is a crappy lineup...maybe some of these players that played overseas can stuff some talent in their carry ons because we desperately need it. Where are we as far as the cap floor is concerned?
If Strome makes the team, it's likely for a 2nd line role. He is not awful defensively, but he's not well suited for a 3rd line role. Nielsen, however, is a perfect 3rd line center that we'd be forcing to play top 6 minutes. If Nielsen is playing 2nd line C I guarantee it is only because Strome isn't on the team. I'm the furthest from a Nielsen "hater" that you could get (how could you not like the guy?) but it comes down to what roles are better suited for the players. Think the Isles learned from wasting Nino in the bottom 6 last year.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Nyifan12

There are a number of veteran UFAs who can fill in over a Reasoner or Boulton up front and be a 6/7 D. This will allow the young guys to develop without disruption. Let them transition in later in the season or next year.

Names such as Andrew Brunette (F), Jonathan Cheechoo (F), Brett Clark (D), Mike Commodore (D), could come cheap.

Nyifan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
I kind of want Strome to get the 9 games or even 4-5.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Seriously what else is left for Strome to accomplish at Niagara? We need a 2nd line center, the time is now.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:36 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyifan12 View Post
There are a number of veteran UFAs who can fill in over a Reasoner or Boulton up front and be a 6/7 D. This will allow the young guys to develop without disruption. Let them transition in later in the season or next year.

Names such as Andrew Brunette (F), Jonathan Cheechoo (F), Brett Clark (D), Mike Commodore (D), could come cheap.
Clark would be great. I'd hate Commodore, Cheechoo, and Brunette though. They've got nothing left in the tank.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin 36 View Post
Seriously what else is left for Strome to accomplish at Niagara? We need a 2nd line center, the time is now.
Amen. And I would even like to see him on JT's wing if Boyes starts slacking

Old
01-07-2013, 02:50 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Does he have NHL size? Can he play without getting hurt badly or permanently? Can he continue to grow as a player at his size and readiness in the NHL or would he better suited to wait, continue to play in juniors for our sake and make the AHL team next year where we can call him up when he's able to play at that level?

Must we do this to every promising kid?

Tavares was ready. Strome needed time. If he isn't ready, just enjoy the wait as he's got talent and will be worth the wait. I know....some can't wait. Tough. He's not gonna do well until he gets AHL experience and size.

If the odds of him NOT disappointing go down exponentially when we give him time to grow for another year and the odds of bust or mediocre go up exponentially if we bring him in lacking size, which do you choose?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:54 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
If Strome makes the team, it's likely for a 2nd line role. He is not awful defensively, but he's not well suited for a 3rd line role. Nielsen, however, is a perfect 3rd line center that we'd be forcing to play top 6 minutes. If Nielsen is playing 2nd line C I guarantee it is only because Strome isn't on the team. I'm the furthest from a Nielsen "hater" that you could get (how could you not like the guy?) but it comes down to what roles are better suited for the players. Think the Isles learned from wasting Nino in the bottom 6 last year.
Did the Isles waste Nino on the bottom six or waste a bottom six role on Nino? He's been solid this AHL season, but he was AWFUL last year, on a line where expectation are lowest.

That should say something.

Franz was a decent line 2 center. He's a prototypical 3rd line center. Yeah, we could have Strome, or Bailey could have shown up earlier. None of that matters. The Isles had the best guy available centering line 2.

When Strome comes in, I'd have Nielson ready for line 2 in a moment. I'd let Strome know that. It'd be like we were a real NHL team again if the coach thought that way.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:02 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Moulson - JT - Boyes
bailey - Nielsen - Okposo
Grabner - Ullstrom - Joenssuu
Martin - Reasoner - Boulton

Hamonic - Visnovsky
Streit - Mac
Carkner - Donovan

Nabby
Dipietro
Nilsson/Poulin (I think we will see both up and down all year)

Nino will be the first call up for wings. Nelson (if healthy) for center. Ness for dmen.
I would leave Nino alone. He's growing. Casey Cizikas would fare well with a promotion whereas Nino would not so much. I would pencil in Nino as a CONFIDENT and ABLE competitor in training camp, though. But right now, we're undoing the wrong that was prematurely promoting a power forward prematurely AS IS ISLANDER FASHION. Cizikas would benefit greatly and he showed some good hockey when he was up. I might take a chance on Persson as he has a little scoring winger feel and maturity to boot, but I'd rather continue to leave those guys alone to be our future.

Nelson would be my wild card. Nino only if twelve guys were injured. (he's THAT important)

Old
01-07-2013, 04:26 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:

its juniors. NHL is something else. let him try AHL first.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:36 AM
NyIsles19

Moulson-JT-Boyes(Strome)
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Grabner-Cizikas-Ullstrom(Boyes)
Martin-Reasoner-Boulton/Joenssuu

Streit-Macdonald
Hamonic-Visnosky
Carkner-Donavon/ness

For me this is how i see our opening lineup starting out most likely. Although you have to assume the islanders will give strome the 9 games and anything less than superb play i want him back at juniors. Also i only want him up if he is getting top 6 minutes so what do you guys think even if it was just for this year to ease him into the NHL keep him on JT wing considering how Boyes isn't nearly as talented.

Also Same goes for Nino, unless he truly earns a spot on the team let his confidence soar in a potential Sound Tiger playoff run being the go to guy. 1 question i do have regarding him is can nino play the RW? if so i would even consider placing him with JT in regards to what i said about strome.

As far as our 6th defense spot i would really rather bring a capable FA but not quite sure who id want and i really just see Snow letting a few guys in BP fight for it.

NyIsles19 is offline   Reply With Quote