HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Alex Edler

Old
01-07-2013, 07:09 AM
GoTeamDom

vCash: 500
Alex Edler

Alexander Edler is the best defenseman on the Canucks, makes $3.25m this season and is a UFA next offseason.

The Canucks have 4 defensemen already signed long-term. I am of the belief that if a defenseman must be traded, it will be Alex Edler for value and NOT Keith Ballard for scraps.

So what would your team give up for Alex Edler? Canucks would be looking for high end Centre and Defense prospects who could contribute in the near future.

Edler is a top pairing 1A LHD capable of logging 25mins/game very comfortably. He is a consistent 50pt threat and has a hard and accurate shot from the point.

Last edited by GoTeamDom: 01-07-2013 at 07:54 AM.
GoTeamDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:12 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Alex Edler should not be traded unless the other team is certain they can re-sign him and pay full value accordingly. Otherwise we should just keep him. I can't imagine Gillis would sign Garrison just to make Edler expendable. It's much more likely that we either trade Ballard or even buy him out if necesary.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:15 AM
palindrom

It will be interesting to see how Edler injury will affect his play and his trade value.

Trading him now would be a gamble. (Both for Vancouver and the team acquiring him)

Last edited by palindrom: 01-07-2013 at 07:20 AM.
palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:16 AM
MISC*
Negged.

I want Marty Hanzal.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:22 AM
kasper11

The Canucks are positioned to compete for the Cup this year...they aren't going to trade away one of their best dmen for futures. If necessary, they would let him walk in the offseason to try and win this year. More likely, they would use a compliance buyout on Ballard and re-sign Edler.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:28 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
The Canucks are positioned to compete for the Cup this year...they aren't going to trade away one of their best dmen for futures. If necessary, they would let him walk in the offseason to try and win this year. More likely, they would use a compliance buyout on Ballard and re-sign Edler.
Agreed, plus from another team's perspective it would probably cost us less to wait for the off season to propose a trade for his rights than acquire him now.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:29 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
I want Marty Hanzal.
- The last thing PHX needs is another Dman
- You are not getting Hanzal from PHX for a pending UFA, let alone a pending UFA Dman

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:40 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTeamDom View Post
Alexander Edler is the best defenseman on the Canucks, makes $3.25m this season and is a UFA next offseason.

The Canucks have 4 defensemen already signed long-term. I am of the belief that if a defenseman must be traded, it will be Alex Edler for value and NOT Keith Ballard for scraps.

So what would your team give up for Alex Edler? Canucks would be looking for high end Centre and Defense prospects who could contribute in the near future.
Is Edler willing to sign an extension with his new team or is he looking to test the ufa market in July?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:49 AM
GoTeamDom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Is Edler willing to sign an extension with his new team or is he looking to test the ufa market in July?
I see him willing to sign an extension. He's a pretty mild mannered guy and I can't see him holding out for a $7m/season contract or anything. Long term in the $5.5-$6.3 range would be my guess on the open market.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:56 AM
StringerBell

See Brent Burns trade for benchmark.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:00 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
I see him willing to sign an extension. He's a pretty mild mannered guy and I can't see him holding out for a $7m/season contract or anything. Long term in the $5.5-$6.3 range would be my guess on the open market.
I would be surprised if he got more than $4.6-5M, and while he's a very good defenseman he isn't our best.

01-07-2013, 09:02 AM
MISC*
Negged.

Edler +

for

Krejci

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:04 AM
keslerburrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Edler +

for

Krejci
Oh god no.

keslerburrows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:12 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I'd love to see a couple of things..

1. Wang opens his checkbook, with the arena issue settled.
2.Snow jump into the bidding, if Edler is willing to sign a 4-5 yr NYI extension before a trade is completed.

No interest in Edler without an extension, no interest in any conditional pick or other pieces.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:58 AM
GoTeamDom

I'd be interested in a deal around Edler for Hamonic and Bailey.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:20 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Personally I would not do Hamonic straight up without an extension. I would consider MacDonald and Nielsen though.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:25 AM
guyzeur

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'd love to see a couple of things..

1. Wang opens his checkbook, with the arena issue settled.
2.Snow jump into the bidding, if Edler is willing to sign a 4-5 yr NYI extension before a trade is completed.

No interest in Edler without an extension, no interest in any conditional pick or other pieces.
As a Sens fan, I would trade for Edler knowing he could become UFA. Bryan Murray has been known to lure players in Ottawa then sign them.

Worst thing that could happen, Edler doesn't want to sign before the trade deadline he can be traded back to a contender.

If Sens are doing well and don't want to trade him, we can trade him before July 1st.

Last edited by guyzeur: 01-07-2013 at 10:32 AM.
guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Contenders don't give up their top players at defense for asset management reasons.

Vancouver will look to re-sign him, I expect. The challenge is that he's due a nice raise. On the plus side, the Canucks can make a strong case to keep him. That's a good team, year in and year out. It should take money, not money and convincing to stay.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:33 AM
palindrom

The new cba is rumored to allow any team to talk with any upcoming UFA player one week before July.

So acquiring an upcoming UFA with the intend to have the exclusive right to negotiate with him could become thing of the past.

This could affect Edler value next summer if he is still unsigned.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:34 AM
GoTeamDom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
Personally I would not do Hamonic straight up without an extension. I would consider MacDonald and Nielsen though.
MacDonald and Nielsen are both quality players, but they do not really fill holes on the team as well as Hamonic and/or Bailey would.

Figured Hamonic would be a longshot, but he would be my first choice. Would also do a deal for Bailey+prospect+pick (Burns template). I don't foresee you having problems getting Edler to sign an extension as part of a deal.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:53 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I wouldn't trade Hamonic, even for 4-5 yrs of a signed Edler.

Yes, Edler's a star, but Hamonic's a developing young star and will be on a very reasonable new contract for several more yrs. I think the only 2 untouchables on the NYI should be Tavares and Hamonic.

How about the choice of

1st rounder+ Strome+ Bailey?

1st rounder+Reinhart+ Bailey?

Old
01-07-2013, 10:55 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
As a Sens fan, I would trade for Edler knowing he could become UFA. Bryan Murray has been known to lure players in Ottawa then sign them.

Worst thing that could happen, Edler doesn't want to sign before the trade deadline he can be traded back to a contender.

If Sens are doing well and don't want to trade him, we can trade him before July 1st.
Snow hasn't traded top prospects or a 1st for an impending ufa, since getting burned in the Ryan Smyth trade.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:

Yes, Edler's a star, but Hamonic's a developing young star and will be on a very reasonable new contract for several more yrs. I think the only 2 untouchables on the NYI should be Tavares and Hamonic.

How about the choice of

I would probably do either trade, the first being more preferable. I definitely prefer it to Hamonic + Bailey.

If I were the Islanders I wouldn't trade my next 1st, though.

Strome can play wing, right?

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:01 AM
StringerBell

Quote:

How about the choice of

I'm not a big fan of Bailey, but if you make it Nielson instead I would probably go for that (either one).

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:04 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I would probably do either trade, the first being more preferable. I definitely prefer it to Hamonic + Bailey.

If I were the Islanders I wouldn't trade my next 1st, though.

Strome can play wing, right?

I think with their defense overhauled and Nabokov getting the bulk of the starts, the isles 1st will be closer to the 10th-12th range, instead of the top 5.

That's still a very good pick, but not in the Jones/McKinnon/Barkov range.

As for Strome...there's speculation that he's headed to Tavares' wing. Pronman wrote that it'd be a waste to move him to the wing.