HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Teravainen vs Gaudreau

Old
01-07-2013, 03:34 AM
tfong

vCash: 500
http://www.collegehockeynews.com/alm...acts-htavg.php

Do people think NCAA is like major junior? There are some big guys playing there and they play much more defensively.

The avg height in the NCAA is likely around 6 feet and 188lbs.

That being said I'd give the edge to TT.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:41 AM
HuskyFlames

I find it kind of funny. Skill wise Gaudreau is right up there with the very best prospects. If he was 3 inches taller he would be referred to as a future franchise forward based on his skill level.

HuskyFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:47 AM
DontToewzMeBro

Teuvo is more skilled he is compared to Kane with his vision and hands

DontToewzMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:48 AM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I disagree I think JG has 1st line potential and TT is more of a 2nd line player. I am not saying TT is bad I think he is real good but I think JG has more skill.
Of course, no bias at all from the guy who has Gaudreau as his avatar...

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:49 AM
DontToewzMeBro

Against men after a slow start and injury he has 19 points in 24 games, on the same team a veteran Fillpula has 15 points in 16 games,

He is also known to man the point on the PP, even drawing similarities to Karlsson

Old
01-07-2013, 07:50 AM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
TT is often compared to a lesser Nuge.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:39 PM
toewsintangibles

One fitting comparison for Gaudreau would be Zuccarello. Small and sluggish moving wizard with the puck who is easily knocked about due to his size and average strength

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:52 PM
CaptainCrunch67

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
One fitting comparison for Gaudreau would be Zuccarello. Small and sluggish moving wizard with the puck who is easily knocked about due to his size and average strength
I would hardly call Guadreau sluggish in any way. While his first step needs work he's hardly a slug.

I didn't see him getting knocked around all that much in the WJ and he's certainly not getting knocked around at the colllege level.

I think your comparison isn't very good.

I think one great equalizer here is that Guadreau has a extremely high hockey IQ he finds open areas extremely well, and he has great puck and play anticipation.

It will be interesting to see where his development is after his college career ends and his teen years end.

CaptainCrunch67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:58 PM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjhjhjhjhjh View Post
TT is often compared to a lesser Nuge.
RHN is pretty accurate comparison. Playing with Erik Karlsson have boosted his developement. At WJC Teräväinen runned PP from point and was very Karlsson like. Very good onetimer and wrister, played clever little passes which made alot of problems to opposite team. He scored one goal with monster slapper in breakaway against goalie from
the point, it reminded me from Selänne. He's not Selänne like player but that slapper was Selänne-like. His vision is outstanding and he was the best player of team finland.

I haven't seen much Gaudreau so i won't compare them.

Interesting to see if Chicago has room in #1 PP for TT at the point in the future.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Takashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
Gaudreau is smarter player. higher upside and.better currently.

teuvo is safer but not as skilled.
So a 4th round player has more upside, is better and is more skilled than a first rounder

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:49 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Thats the exact same comparison people make of JG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjhjhjhjhjh View Post
Of course, no bias at all from the guy who has Gaudreau as his avatar...
I never said I was unbiased I stated my opinion, O the horror

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Rolen
sick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
So a 4th round player has more upside, is better and is more skilled than a first rounder
No that I disagree but referring to where a player is drafted is a laughable argument to how skilled a player is.

Rolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Hawkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch67 View Post
I would hardly call Guadreau sluggish in any way. While his first step needs work he's hardly a slug.
Admitting he needs to work on his first-step (skating) should be concerning for his future in the NHL.

Small players almost always have to terrific skaters to be successful in the NHL. It doesn't matter if you have terrific hands or hockey IQ, if a small player can't outskate the bigger NHL players then they will have trouble making room for themselves to generate offense. If he can't produce offensively then he won't be in the NHL, because he obviously can't be a banger.

I've only watched Gaudreau in the WJ's and before all this hype I noticed his skating was a bit awkward compared to other small players like Grimaldi, etc. I think the Gaudreau lovers on these boards underestimate how much this will limit his ability in the NHL.

Obviously I'm a hawk fan so I not going to compare the two, but I am happy with TT and I hope that Gaudreau proves me wrong.

Hawkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
RHN is pretty accurate comparison. Playing with Erik Karlsson have boosted his developement. At WJC Teräväinen runned PP from point and was very Karlsson like. Very good onetimer and wrister, played clever little passes which made alot of problems to opposite team. He scored one goal with monster slapper in breakaway against goalie from
the point, it reminded me from Selänne. He's not Selänne like player but that slapper was Selänne-like. His vision is outstanding and he was the best player of team finland.

I haven't seen much Gaudreau so i won't compare them.

Interesting to see if Chicago has room in #1 PP for TT at the point in the future.
TT is one of those guys who doesn't have to go out and practice he just picks things he likes. In my junior years there was also one guy who was super skilled and learned basically anything in under two minutes, always when you did put some new game or anything in front of him he picked it out and was unbeatable after, he honestly would've been the next superstar in hockey. Too bad drugs and women took his interests before he even was 16.

Leehh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:03 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

I'll take Gaudreau over Teravainen. I think he's more skilled, he's got a higher IQ, and his potential is better.

He's not that much smaller at this point in time (he's closer to 5 foot 9 by all accounts. Hockeydb is wrong), and he's about the same weight as Tervainen. Size is no longer the issue it was, not should it be. Small player's have proven time and again they can be successful. Look no further than the top 30 in scoring last year. Everyone likes to mention Martin St Louis, and then claim he's the exception, but sub-6 foot players are quite prominent in top scoring. Eberle is 5 foot 11, Zetterberg is 5 foot 11, Giroux is 5 foot 11, and none of them hit 180. Ray Whitney is 5 foot 10. And before someone goes on about "Oh 5 foot 9 is smaller than 5 foot 11", its two inches. That's barely anything.

Size is not an issue when you have smarts and elusiveness. And Gaudreau has that in spades. He also has displayed an ability to play at every level and still keep scoring. He was a star in the USHL, a star in the NCAA right now, he led the WJC tourney in goals and played on the US Gold Medal winning teams top line, above the 3rd overall pick last season (making the "but teravainen was a first rounder and gaudreau wasn't" argument sort of moot) so this isn't a small sample size.

Gaudreau (although Tervainen isn't a slacker by any means) for me.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:08 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey View Post
Admitting he needs to work on his first-step (skating) should be concerning for his future in the NHL.

Small players almost always have to terrific skaters to be successful in the NHL. It doesn't matter if you have terrific hands or hockey IQ, if a small player can't outskate the bigger NHL players then they will have trouble making room for themselves to generate offense. If he can't produce offensively then he won't be in the NHL, because he obviously can't be a banger.

I've only watched Gaudreau in the WJ's and before all this hype I noticed his skating was a bit awkward compared to other small players like Grimaldi, etc. I think the Gaudreau lovers on these boards underestimate how much this will limit his ability in the NHL.

Obviously I'm a hawk fan so I not going to compare the two, but I am happy with TT and I hope that Gaudreau proves me wrong.
Gaudreau is absolutely quick. He is not overly "fast" but he is quick. He is an extremely explosive skater when he has to be, and he has the keen awareness to know when to utilize that ability. In addition to that he has the elusiveness and sublime edge work that allows him to create space for himself in away that speed never could.

He is by no means slow or sluggish. He lacks the separation speed that most smallish forwards have (Grimaldi, Ennis etc...) but in respect to the rest of his competition it is certainly not below average.

The only thing this kid knows how to do is produce points and win hockey games. His resume speaks to that.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:11 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

teuvo easily for me.

i don't think it's close at all.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:09 PM
DontToewzMeBro

Whether Flames fans admit it or not they would overwhelmingly accept Teravainen in a trade

Also Jonny is not a fast or elite skater, this is why he was passed by like 100 people in his draft- use your brains!

Old
01-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I'd give a slight edge to TT, but I'm sure as hell glad we have JG. What I am most pissed about is that we passed on TT and could of had both these guys.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:19 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Whether Flames fans admit it or not they would overwhelmingly accept Teravainen in a trade

Also Jonny is not a fast or elite skater, this is why he was passed by like 100 people in his draft- use your brains!
thank you.

if people want to go crazy gaudreau then start a thread comparing him to his little buddy grimaldi or something. comparing him with teuvo is not a good comparison

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:21 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:

he was passed over because he was just over 5'6 in his draft most teams were scared away he is already out producing most top prospects when they were in the NCAA including Toews, Kreider, Oshie etc. Its crazy people think he only is being noticed because of the WJC. I would most likely accept TT in a trade but only because I think he is more likely to make the nhl I think JG will be a better player if he makes it.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:25 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
thank you.

if people want to go crazy gaudreau then start a thread comparing him to his little buddy grimaldi or something. comparing him with teuvo is not a good comparison
Button just listed JG as a top 30 prospect and I don't believe TT was on the list. So clearly some people don't think its that crazy, I am not saying Button is the be all end all in scouting just that some people who do follow prospects prefer JG.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
he was passed over because he was just over 5'6 in his draft most teams were scared away he is already out producing most top prospects when they were in the NCAA including Toews, Kreider, Oshie etc. Its crazy people think he only is being noticed because of the WJC. I would most likely accept TT in a trade but only because I think he is more likely to make the nhl I think JG will be a better player if he makes it.
I completely agree. I think it is alot closer than many are saying, and I do give a slight edge to TT. But both are great young players and have excellent upside. IF JG makes it, I think his potential might be a little higher. Me and you have had this talk before, we have also said that he may be a better prospect than Sven.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:28 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
Really!? cause when put on even playing field (lets forget about ncaa vs fel) who performed better and was the better player? easily john gaudreau.
Still, Tuevo's Finnish team struggled mightly, Gaudreau wasn't doing much till he got 3 tap-ins against Germany then he exploded, I'm not hating cause he's a flames prospect I actually like his skill and the way he plays it just seems like you guys, as many other people are saying are overrating him a bit, as the majority here that aren't Flames fans seem to pick Tuevo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Schroeder didn't put up close to as many points as Gaudreau has. They shouldn't even be in the same sentence. Gaudreau ripped up the USHL and NCAA with hardly any adjustment period at all. Same as the WJC's. With his track record I would bet money on his ability to adjust to the AHL.
I would take Schroeder over Gaudreau. Much better defensive game, he's faster, more dynamic. ya he struggled in his 2nd year with the Gophers but he lost his linemates during the year, Jay Barabald was injured and missed the year and Ryan Stoa was signed by the Avs. He later joined the Moose and played very well.

And you also add that JS also had a stellar WJ career as he is the all time leader scorer for team USA (which seems to be were all your expectations come from with Gaudreau) and that JS is much stronger and was much stronger at the same age, also that Schreoder has adjusted well to the pro game and has been our best player for the Wolves who have been terrible to say the least this year.

Gaudreau is great and all so far but I just would like to see him do the same thing when he steps into the AHL.

Last edited by Sergei Shirokov: 01-09-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:58 AM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Still, Tuevo's Finnish team struggled mightly, Gaudreau wasn't doing much till he got 3 tap-ins against Germany then he exploded, I'm not hating cause he's a flames prospect I actually like his skill and the way he player it just seems like you guys as many other people are saying are overrating him a bit, as the majority here that aren't Flames fans seem to pick Tuevo.

I would take Schroeder over Gaudreau. Much better defensive game, he's faster, mroe dynamic. ya he struggled in his 2nd year with the Gophers but he lost his linemates during the year, Jay Barabald was injured and missed the year and Ryan Stoa was signed by the Avs. He later joined the Moose and played very well.

And you also add that JS also had a stellar WJ career as he is the all time leader scorer for team USA (which seems to be were ally our expectations come from with Gaudreau) and that JS is much stronger and was much stronger at the same age, also that Schreoder has adjusted well to the pro game and has been our best player for the Wolves who have been terrible to say the least this year.

Gaudreau is great and all so far but I just would like to see him do the same thing when he steps into the AHL.
And that is when I knew I could disregard this entire post.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote