HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Visnovsky trying to void trade to Isles - UPDATE: More Drama (post #510)

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 09:34 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster96 View Post
Paper hat bag bad?

If vis plays, they have 3 legit top-4 defensemen, and plenty of 5-6-7 guys in macdonald and in bridgeport... Hardly what I'd call paper hat bag bad...
Our defense is paper bag bad if he isn't there.

They have zero true top pairing defensemen.
Hamonic & Streit are the only true 3-4.
McDonald on a good blueline is a #5.
The rest are all kids or limited role players worthy of a 6/7 slot.
But the clincher: Minus Vis they will be forced to play two rookies/AHL scrubs on the blueline. When one more goes down, they will have to play 3 rookies/AHL scrubs.

Yes, paper bag bad.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:44 PM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsMetsIsles View Post
He's a great player or at least was in his prime. I will root for him to do well but I will still boo him and he deserves every bit of it. He insults where we live and his future teammates. We may not be a talented team but at least they like playing with each other and we have a good locker room which has been an issue in the past. I don't want someone here who will act like it is his prison.
Are you going to boo Nabokov as well?

Old
01-06-2013, 09:51 PM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post

But the clincher: Minus Vis they will be forced to play two rookies/AHL scrubs on the blueline. When one more goes down, they will have to play 3 rookies/AHL scrubs.

Yes, paper bag bad.
Hamonic has already proven to be a 2/3. I think it's reasonable to expect continued development, seeing as he is still only 22 years old. Streit showed a lot of rust last year, but once he found his game late in the season he started looking like pre-injury Streit. He's also going into a contract year(probably his last shot at a somewhat big payday). I suppose you could label MacDonald as a #5 on a "good" team, but he has proven to be a capable 2nd pairing guy before, which is all we'll need him to be.

Then I suppose you'd have Donovan-Carkner as your 3rd pairing, which should be fine assuming Donovan is ready to make the jump(judging by his play this year and last, I expect that to be the case). That leaves one hole on probably the 2nd pairing with MacDonald. Even if that player ends up being mediocre, I still think this defense is far from "paper bag bad."

Old
01-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Noreaster96

Quote:

Yes, paper bag bad.
Ah, see the part about without vis you didn't have in your original post... Or I just read over it... I agree with you if that's the case... Tho I think Hamonic can become a #2

Old
01-06-2013, 09:58 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Are you going to boo Nabokov as well?
Nabakov has redeemed himself. He is still with the team when he didn't have to be. I can understand someone avoiding moving to a team with 0 playoff chance in the middle of the season as an end of your career veteran. To do everything you can to stay away from a team before the season starts multiple times and even try to stay out of the NHL just to avoid playing here is completely different.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:19 PM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsMetsIsles View Post
Nabakov has redeemed himself. He is still with the team when he didn't have to be. I can understand someone avoiding moving to a team with 0 playoff chance in the middle of the season as an end of your career veteran. To do everything you can to stay away from a team before the season starts multiple times and even try to stay out of the NHL just to avoid playing here is completely different.
I look at it this way: if you end up booing him, obviously that means he has come to LI. If that is the case, then this entire article is a pile of doodie. Therefor no point to booing. At least that's my take.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:28 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:

Yes, paper bag bad.
Not true

Old
01-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Don't let all the crap blind you from the fact that he can definitely help the Isles. While he is over the hill, he's still a much better option than any other alternative.
Yeah, there's no question. But, it just seems with the way some people are reacting, that this guy is a #1 defenseman that's gonna be this huge boon. I just don't see it. If he buggers off, you lose your #4, basically.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Neil Sheehy, Visnovsky's agent, had not heard from his client as of Sunday night.
All the comments come from Višňovský's post-game locker-room interview with the press that you can watch here (over 4 minutes): http://www.hcslovan.sk/en/spravy/vis...-slovan-offer/

He talks about what it was like having to defend against Malkin tonight, etc. He also contradicts himself several times, saying both "I'm not decided yet" and "I'm decided", and then he also says "I'm going to talk to my agent tonight" and "I'm going to wait until it's morning over there and call them", which would imply Monday morning American time. Višňovský is an emotional guy and you can clearly see it would make him unhappy to leave Slovan now, in the final stretch of the race to the play-offs. It's no PR stunt.

Sekera leaving Slovan for the Sabres will be a blow for Slovan, and Višňovský leaving as well will be devastating for the team. Slovan's 3rd-best defenceman is currently injured, so the team would suddenly find itself missing its top 3 defencemen with only 13 games left in the regular season. It could really result in Slovan losing the play-off position that it worked for many months to achieve.

This is a once-in-a-lifetime situation for Lubo's hometown club, Slovan being a KHL expansion team this season and doing very well (far better than expected) largely thanks to Lubo. Even so, last night's game was staged as a "good-bye party" for both Višňovský and Sekera, with them stripping their jerseys after the game and throwing them, along with pieces of equipment, among the sell-out crowd that stayed for many minutes after the game to give them standing ovation.

It's hard to judge Lubo based on his post-game locker-room comments, as only a couple of weeks ago, he was fined over $8,000 by the KHL for his post-game locker-room comments in which he criticized Russian referees for their alleged pro-Russian bias, and even Russia as a disorderly country. He has since apologized for the remarks. In short, let's wait until the next morning at least when the emotions calm down a bit. Judging Višňovský based on his post-game locker-room comments would have led to misleading conclusions in the past, too.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Faterson

Oh, and my own impression from all this: Višňovský's desire to finish the season in the KHL has a lot more to do with his love for his own hometown club that introduced him to big-time hockey in the 1990s, than with any sort of attitude towards the Islanders. I'm pretty sure that the situation would be the same even if Lubo were still on the Ducks, or even with the Kings, Red Wings, Penguins or any NHL team you can name. This is more about him being pro-Slovan -- it's not about him being anti-Islanders.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:21 AM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Yeah, there's no question. But, it just seems with the way some people are reacting, that this guy is a #1 defenseman that's gonna be this huge boon. I just don't see it. If he buggers off, you lose your #4, basically.
And your 2nd round pick. That's what I'm more concerned about, really. If he doesn't come back over, we don't get ANY value for that 2nd round pick whatsoever.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

You don't go well with Russians do you, Yashin, Nabby, Vis..

It's alright though, Carkner will more than make up for it.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
You don't go well with Russians do you, Yashin, Nabby, Vis..
Erm... what?

Old
01-07-2013, 08:13 AM
steveat

What would you do if Viz says "can I meet you (Isles) half way. What would happen if he said...let me stay with my Slovan team until the end..whether it's 13 games or slightly more so I can play the remainder of the year basically. For doing this, I will sign to an additional year with the Isles.

Do you think that if he proposed this that the Isles would be ok with it...would you be ok with it?

Old
01-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
What would you do if Viz says "can I meet you (Isles) half way. What would happen if he said...let me stay with my Slovan team until the end..whether it's 13 games or slightly more so I can play the remainder of the year basically. For doing this, I will sign to an additional year with the Isles.

Do you think that if he proposed this that the Isles would be ok with it...would you be ok with it?
i wouldn't be ok with it for a few reasons.

#1 he could get injured

#2 starting now (really a few years ago) the Isles should be striving for more than past their prime players at the end of their career looking for 1 more paycheck

#3 I'm not even so sure I want him for this season given his sharp decline last year. I definitely don't want him next year at age 38.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:48 AM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

Quote:

I highly doubt it. If they did, that would basically tell the fans that they don't care about competing this year. Especially considering it's a shortened season, that time he stays in the KHL would probably equate to 1/3 of the NHL season. Maybe more.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:54 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 1172
Seems like much ado about nothing. Vis pretty much just said he likes playing for the Russian team in his home city(duh) but is aware his contract with the Isles supersedes it.

You can put that piece of the sky back up now.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Faterson

Goodness, folks, wake up, some of you. You can't be *that* ignorant. Neither is Višňovský Russian, nor is his country and home team located anywhere near Russia. It's like calling the Beatles "that American band". This country was occupied by Russian soldiers for decades, but that doesn't make it Russia. In fact, like I wrote earlier, Višňovský has just been fined over $8,000 by the KHL for voicing what was perceived as "anti-Russia" sentiments.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:05 AM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Seems like much ado about nothing. Vis pretty much just said he likes playing for the Russian team in his home city(duh) but is aware his contract with the Isles supersedes it.

You can put that piece of the sky back up now.
That is what I'm thinking. He wants to do right by the local fans by saying he wants to stay, while making it sound like it might be out of his control. I'm pretty certain he intends on coming here, but probably just wants to save face with the locals by making it look like he has no choice.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:07 AM
okie21

Quote:

No way. He has an NHL contract with the New York Islanders and as soon as camp starts he needs to be here with his teammates. If his dream is to play with Slovan then he just has to suck it up, come to Long Island for 4 months, play out his contract and become a free agent. Then he will be able to choose for whom and where he will play for next year and if it is the KHL so be it. As of right now though he just needs to man up and play out his contract, which no body forced him to sign. After this season is over he is free to finish out the last couple years of his career with his hometown team then.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:25 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:

No I don't think the isles would be ok with it.

Streit is a ufa in July. The isles are counting on Streit+ Vis to provide a strong 1-2 offensive punch, adding scoring from the blueline.

The isles owner is telling the press, that THIS group is good enough to make the playoffs, this season.

Why should the isles have to go overpay in a trade for a top 4 d-man, when they have Vis under contract?

Old
01-07-2013, 09:59 AM
original islander

Quote:

Actually I would be happy with this because we would be getting more value for our 2nd round pick. In addition whatever veteran impact he would have on our younger players would be magnified in a more normal training camp as opposed to the chaotic circumstances that are occurring this year.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:21 AM
kap0r

well... not trying to stir ***** up, but this right in:
http://translate.google.com/translat...e.html&act=url

Cliffs
- he decided to stay in Bratislava and play against Chelyabinsk on Tuesday, whether he is allowed or not
- he called up his agent, he doesn`t know if he`s allowed to stay but he made up his mind anyway

The source is a tabloid though, not very trustworthy.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Faterson

If Višňovský was released fom his contract, wouldn't the Islanders at least save a reasonable amount of money for which they might get an adequate replacement for Višňovský, before the trade deadline? I'm asking because some of you said, "We would have wasted our 2nd-round pick for nothing." Well, the money saved wouldn't quite be "nothing", would it?

I must correct myself about the number of games left in the KHL regular season: it's only 12 now, 11 after tomorrow. Two road trips for Slovan, with one homestead in between, and that's it, the KHL regular season is over.

I don't quite understand why Slovan gave the "good-bye party" to Višňovský and Sekera last night instead of after tomorrow's game. Perhaps Slovan was worried the Islanders would forbid Višňovský to play tomorrow. This happened to Chára yesterday, actually. The Boston Bruins gave Chára a call and he had to watch his KHL team's game from the VIP lounge. I liked what Datsyuk said: "The CBA isn't signed on paper yet, so I expect to play at least a couple more KHL games until it is signed."

I hope Višňovský and Sekera will be able to play for Slovan tomorrow despite last night's farewell party. Slovan needs every point it can get in the tight play-offs race. It's currently 5th in the Western Conference, 8 points ahead of the 9th-ranked team, but you get 3 points in the KHL for regulation wins, so a play-off spot is by no means secure for Slovan at this point. Which really is the no. 1 explanation for Višňovský's unwillingness to go overseas right now. It has little to do with his attitude towards the Islanders. If Slovan misses the play-offs, it will have wasted an almost season-long effort by Višňovský.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
The isles owner is telling the press, that THIS group is good enough to make the playoffs, this season.
Management says this every year. What do you want them to say?

The cynic could say that Vis was brought here to make the cap floor without having to spend that much in actual salary, not make the team more competitive.

Closed Thread