HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to Sign Subban

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 10:01 PM
PATCHESx67

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I really love it when people on HF form opinions based on absolute garbage speculations and assumptions.
I really find it amusing how you talk about building a team around guys with great attitudes like Price. This guy had an even bigger attitude ''problem'' than PK. Remember? Pictures of him smoking cigarettes on vacation wasted? Rumors about him impregnating a minor? The constant partying and out of shape times? The little ''fight'' with Markov after a game?? I mean, you name it. Great attitude..
What happened exactly? Oh yea, he freaking grew up!
PK never did anything bad, what did he do really? Was obnoxious and it rubbed people off?? Ouhhhh...let's trade him...he's a poison..
You don't win with PK? Didn't Canada win the Gold with him?? Twice??? One of which he was voted to the Tourny's All Star team after an amazing performance scoring 9pts in 6GP (That's more than Gally as as Dman, granted older). So I think we can already drop this dumb notion that you don't win with guys like him.

As for Philly, those are nothing but rumors, and if Gauthier wanted PK gone, I'm pretty sure he would have pulled the trigger even if it meant getting a weaker return. He didn't have a problem doing it for other players. Also, you don't even know if it was an actual heads up deal. You also make another assumption in thinking that, if this rumor was indeed true, the Flyers refused it based on the fact that they don't think PK is that good. That the fact Couturier is still signed to 1.3M for 2 extra years, as opposed to PK needing to be re-signed with a big raise has nothing to do with it.
Really, what's your beef with PK? Because your post is quite lame.

Didn't Doughty hold out and signed a deal late in LA because he wanted more cash?? Then he was criticized for not being in shape, not living up to expectations and just being greedy. The year after he won the cup.

I really don't understand why anybody would ''hate'' PK. Really. What's the problem here? You think he's overrated?? ok, so? How do we go from that to him not even being worth 4.5M when Gorges makes 3.9M?? Explain that one to me please.
amen people are quick to forget the headaches we went through with price

Old
01-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Nedved

Quote:
I really love it when people on HF form opinions based on absolute garbage speculations and assumptions.
I really find it amusing how you talk about building a team around guys with great attitudes like Price. This guy had an even bigger attitude ''problem'' than PK. Remember? Pictures of him smoking cigarettes on vacation wasted? Rumors about him impregnating a minor? The constant partying and out of shape times? The little ''fight'' with Markov after a game?? I mean, you name it. Great attitude..
What happened exactly? Oh yea, he freaking grew up!
PK never did anything bad, what did he do really? Was obnoxious and it rubbed people off?? Ouhhhh...let's trade him...he's a poison..
You don't win with PK? Didn't Canada win the Gold with him?? Twice??? One of which he was voted to the Tourny's All Star team after an amazing performance scoring 9pts in 6GP (That's more than Gally as as Dman, granted older). So I think we can already drop this dumb notion that you don't win with guys like him.

As for Philly, those are nothing but rumors, and if Gauthier wanted PK gone, I'm pretty sure he would have pulled the trigger even if it meant getting a weaker return. He didn't have a problem doing it for other players. Also, you don't even know if it was an actual heads up deal. You also make another assumption in thinking that, if this rumor was indeed true, the Flyers refused it based on the fact that they don't think PK is that good. That the fact Couturier is still signed to 1.3M for 2 extra years, as opposed to PK needing to be re-signed with a big raise has nothing to do with it.
Really, what's your beef with PK? Because your post is quite lame.

Didn't Doughty hold out and signed a deal late in LA because he wanted more cash?? Then he was criticized for not being in shape, not living up to expectations and just being greedy. The year after he won the cup.

I really don't understand why anybody would ''hate'' PK. Really. What's the problem here? You think he's overrated?? ok, so? How do we go from that to him not even being worth 4.5M when Gorges makes 3.9M?? Explain that one to me please.
character building activities. I don't want pk gone, but if the right offer was on the table I would highly consider it...

Old
01-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
they all had short deals before their long term deal
Yes, and Montreal leads the league in "as per club policy" mistakes.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
character building activities. I don't want pk gone, but if the right offer was on the table I would highly consider it...
I don't think he did any character building activities, he just grew up. Remember high school? In a class of 25-30 people, how many did you actually get along with? Or heck, did you play any team sports? Don't you remember just some guys not being your vibe? They like other stuff, have a different sense of humor, different attitude, culture, education, philosophy. Remember? Cause I sure do. But I also remember happily jumping in a scrum or defending them if ever they get a cheap shot thrown their way, or be the first to celebrate with them when they scored a goal. You don't get along with everybody, you never will. Some guys will be annoying to you or others. To make this a basis for trading PK is just dumb.
Sure, we can consider offers. That's a far stretch from saying we should trade him.

Last edited by Kriss E: 01-06-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old
01-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Some of the most garbage posts I've read so far this year.
Step your game up folks. Hearsay and unsubstantiated rumors are absolutely worthless to this conversation.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
So, just wanting to ask a stupid question
Where do we find players like Subban to replace Subban?
Puck-moving Dman that can play in all situations, draws penalties, eats minutes AND can hit.
Trade him? Am I missing something here?
Every time this team has won, we've had multiple above-average Dmen.
Now we want to get rid of one?
No matter what the return, the team that wins the trade is the one that gets the best player.
PK is young enough that he can help the rebuild while here instead of being dealt to do it
Exactly! Best player Montreal has had in a long long time. Plus he's got energy and swagger that makes him a joy to watch

Old
01-06-2013, 11:18 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

And I really don't get this character stuff, dude has shown his true colours more than anyone, and he's awesome...

Old
01-07-2013, 02:31 AM
Mr. Hab

Pretty please...

5-6 year contract!! (approx. $3.5 - 4mil/year).
(a 2 year contract...we have to do all of this all over again in two seasons!!).

I hope Subban and greedy Don %^&*#$% Meehan won't ask for Norris trophy salary! (I'm a huuuuge Subban fan, but c'mon! just sign a long term and fair enough contract - force Bergevin for the long term! - and the money will be a lot no matter what! don't get too greedy! you'll be a millionaire for the rest of your life no matter what...just do what you do best...play hockey!).

Old
01-07-2013, 07:02 AM
NORiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
If i am Pk Subban i'd fire my agent and hire Don Fehr.
You can do that but Don will ask for 50% of your salary.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:04 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
And I really don't get this character stuff, dude has shown his true colours more than anyone, and he's awesome...
There's a lot of very strange criticism of PK. It's VERY strange.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:10 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
they all had short deals before their long term deal
Yes well I'm going to add that they pretty much all had average seasons before their short deals. I don't think it's the case with Subban. How many players do you folks think we lost because of those transitional deals? How many players started mis-behaving after being cut short on a contract? I think the list is pretty long personally. This new habs management needs to stop the arrogant stance, it does nothing to help.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:05 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Don't care about money so much, but term is the key here, a 2-3 year deal is perfect, a 4-5 year deal would be horrible, eats up all the rfa years, making Subban a UFA at 27-28. Issue is guys like Subban, Flower and Carlson both got 5-6 year deals right after their ELC.

But Habs are just one of a few teams that still like the 2nd contract, almost every Habs young player gets a 2 year their after their ELC, Emelin,Daiz, Patches,DD,Weber, Price etc

Old
01-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Saintpatrick

Getting rid of Subban at this point would be the equivalent of moving Chris Chelios when we did. MB needs to move quickly and lock him up long term. To all the PK haters he isn't going anywhere and he isn't a cancer in the dressing room so you can quit all that nonsense cause its pure speculation and BS.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Yes, and Montreal leads the league in "as per club policy" mistakes.
So you're saying the 1st contracts to Patches, Price and Gorges were mistakes before signing their long term deals? Most teams do this, not just the Habs and yes I agree the Habs management have made a lot of mistakes in recent years but now it's a totally new team of management and I have a lot of faith in these guys so let's see on it all works out. PK is our future on D and he will be signed long term but for now he can accept a 2 year deal and show like others what he can do

Old
01-07-2013, 08:18 AM
shutehinside

Please, can everyone who's talking about PK stop it now.

It's NOT going to happen, so please move on. He will sign and he will play for us for many years. Anyone who hopes or thinks he'll be moved should have their heads checked.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Long term would be nice, but I just don't see why it should matter at this point... he'll still be RFA for a while, and it's probably in his best interests to wait another year or two before signing a big deal. Right now, he still really hasn't stepped up with the offensive numbers he's probably capable of. While his defense has been great and his potential is recognized, he can't really get the biggest payday until he starts piling up better production. Which could come this year or next. If I was Subban, and assuming the Habs can't sensibly come right out and offer me Norris candidate money now (which would be reckless, since he's not there yet), then I would basically ONLY take the 1-2 year bridge. Still at a $4-5M number... Subban has already shown that level of performance. But I'd be expecting to get the $6-7M per longterm deal on my next one after that.

Hopefully both sides can settle on the mutual logic of all that in short order.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
PK is going to be a superstar player. I hope he is a Hab for a long time.

Sign him to a two year deal and get the rest of this bloated (salaries) team under control. PG/Gainey really left a mess. Then give him a long term big money deal.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:19 AM
niftymove

Not so excited about PK as I was last years.

His friendly walking around the Bruins table during the last draft, his lack of involvement with the habs players around here, his charity show in Toronto, his Star playing on sportsnet..... all suspect signals to me!

Not sure how he will be perceived in the player's room and the effect on team spirit.

Hopefully, i'm wrong, but it feels bad.....

At least, he represents a real good value for a second round choice (tx Timmins) and we are assured of a good payback if a trade is unavoidable .

Old
01-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
How many players do you folks think we lost because of those transitional deals? How many players started mis-behaving after being cut short on a contract? I think the list is pretty long personally.
And who are you talking about here? I couldn't think of 1 example.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Habs12max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
4-year, 18 million I'd be fine with at this point, even if I don't think he's earned it.
Fiction, he would never accept that kind of deal. Look at the market.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:35 AM
ROSSter

Trading Subban would be a stupid decision. He's a class act that will develop into a stud defencemen. Many people here forget how young he is. The guy is logging big time minutes at a young age. Im thinking a 4 year 4.5mil would be a fair deal for both sides. The classic 2 year deal would be nice but I would be shocked if that happens. Lets just hope Subban doesn't get offer sheeted.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
So you're saying the 1st contracts to Patches, Price and Gorges were mistakes before signing their long term deals? Most teams do this, not just the Habs and yes I agree the Habs management have made a lot of mistakes in recent years but now it's a totally new team of management and I have a lot of faith in these guys so let's see on it all works out. PK is our future on D and he will be signed long term but for now he can accept a 2 year deal and show like others what he can do
They weren't mistakes, just different cases. Patches wasn't dominant at all, there was no reason to give him a long term deal.
For Price, some actually wanted to sign him longterm, but with Halak around, it made no sense to do so. He also had rough times in Mtl.
For Gorges, he wasn't dominant yet. He was a top 4 defensive D. No reason for him to really get a huge deal right after an ELC.

PK is a stud Dman. This kid has been dominant ever since joining us. Some like to argue he didn't have a great year last season, but I disagree. It's very similar to Myers's progression. He was dominant, had a rougher start to his sophomore year, had a good season last year although he was injured for about 30games. Then he signed a 7 year deal.
Same with Karlsson, although his offensive performance isn't comparable, but it's another example of a young Dmen signing a long deal after the ELC.
Fowler might be a better example as he only played two years like PK (although PK did play a few extra games as he started in the POs 3 years ago), and he also had a less successful sophomore year. He was signed to a 5 year deal right after his ELC. It was for 20M, so not so bad, but PK had better years imo and is better.

All in all, PK is our stud Dman. He does it all. He's ahead of where MaxPac, Gorges and Price all were after his ELC. So I'm not opposed to him getting a longer deal, and I can understand why he doesn't necessarily feel like signing a 1-2year deal.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by denidd View Post

His friendly walking around the Bruins table during the last draft, his lack of involvement with the habs players around here, his charity show in Toronto, his Star playing on sportsnet..... all suspect signals to me!

Not sure how he will be perceived in the player's room and the effect on team spirit.

At least, he represents a real good value for a second round choice (tx Timmins) and we are assured of a good payback if a trade is unavoidable .
You think players don't have friends in other teams??
Come on man, how naive can one be?

Wasn't he around the Boston table at the draft because they drafted his brother?? Ever thought that had something to do with it??
You know Marchand and PK played together and were/are friends, yet they go at it hard during the games.
Charity in Toronto? You know he's from TO right? So he does charity work where he's from. What's wrong with that??

I mean come on dude..

Old
01-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
They weren't mistakes, just different cases. Patches wasn't dominant at all, there was no reason to give him a long term deal.
He was also coming off a broken neck after playing well for ~30 games in 2010-11. The 2 year deal made sense.

Quote:
For Price, some actually wanted to sign him longterm, but with Halak around, it made no sense to do so. He also had rough times in Mtl.
It was just after the Halak trade, but yes, he was in ''prove what you are'' stage.

Subban is ahead of both coming out of ELC and has more of case for a long-term deal. But his leverage right now is minimal unless some team wants to look like dicks and offer sheet a guy after the whole league cried poor for months.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by denidd View Post

You know, I read this hoping that the person writing it is being sarcastic but I know they are being serious.

Newsflash but NHL hockey players are real people. They have lives outside the hockey rink and believe it or not, a family with parents and brothers/sisters. The fact that you think PK shouldn't enjoy the day with his brother after being drafted into the NHL makes me shake my head.

Every player spent their time differently during the lockout. PK has done nothing wrong.

Closed Thread