HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: The Neverending Story

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 10:37 AM
NYVanfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey 4 Life View Post
I don't see burke giving up a package of bozak, kuley, and kadri/2013 1st. I see it more along the lines of a bozak, colborne, franson +2nd rd or a bozak, liles, ashton deal.
so, basically nothing it would hurt to give up

95% of leaf proposals on this board can be summarized as such, it seems

but yes. yes, i know ..it's for an aging overrated monster contract, etc etc ...which you cant wait to get on your team.
Luongo will get the Leafs into the playoffs, I would bet something fairly significant on that...

anyway, the ol' maxim you have to give to get
having watched enough of Gillis over these years I am confident that he won't sell cheap (may not be a blockbuster, but hohum UFA C Bozak and a couple of middling prospects won't get it done. .. IMO, anyway.)

Old
01-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Clark4Ever

Giving up any extremely valuable assets for Luongo would be sheer lunacy at this point. Gillis is not dealing from a position of strength. If his asking price involves any of our top prospects or high draft picks I would tell him to go **** himself.

If I was Burke, I would consider a proposal along the lines of Bozak, Komisarek, and a 3rd round pick at the most.

If another GM is willing to ante up, so be it.

Last edited by Clark4Ever: 01-07-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old
01-07-2013, 10:49 AM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
Luongo will get the Leafs into the playoffs, I would bet something fairly significant on that...
If he's traded to Toronto, would you bet your avatar rights on it?

Old
01-07-2013, 10:53 AM
stavs

really hoping we stick with reimer and he's back to his old self again. Cant seem to justify acquiring luongo. We need a goaltender that can perform well under pressure, not the opposite

Old
01-07-2013, 10:53 AM
caribouPINE

I think if there is a Leafs/Canucks deal for Luongo it will be something like Kadri + Bozak + 2nd round pick or decent prospect like a Brad Ross or Joe Colborne or Jerry D'Amigo.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Badger Mayhew

I haven't been keeping up with the Florida talks, but I'm assuming Panthers fans are opposed to trading Bjugstad for Luongo, correct?

Old
01-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
Scott Morrison was on the Fan 590 this morning at around 0735 hours.

He said that Mike Gillis is in a rush to move Roberto Luongo.

Morrison said that Gillis wants to get that 5M+ contract off the books and avoid the drama of having Schneider/Lu duo.

Oh, before you question Morrison's credibility... he's in the Hall of Fame.
Then Morrison is a moron. BobbyMac, every other TSN analyst and Luongo himself have all implied, or outright stated the precise opposite. Look, I get it. You want Luongo at a bargain trade. You've ripped off Calgary and Nashville. We're just not letting you get that hat trick with us.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Bourne Endeavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
Giving up any extremely valuable assets for Luongo would be sheer lunacy at this point. Gillis is not dealing from a position of strength. If his asking price involves any of our top prospects or high draft picks I would tell him to go **** himself.

If I was Burke, I would consider a proposal along the lines of Bozak, Komisarek, and a 3rd round pick at the most.

If another GM is willing to ante up, so be it.
Another GM wouldn't have to. We'd be better off putting him on waivers then accepting your trash. Gillis does not have to move Luongo now that the cap has stepped above $60M. So yes, he does have the strength of the draw here. Toronto's only alternative to goal - should they want an improvement - is Schneider. And guess who has him?

Old
01-07-2013, 11:09 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Luongo + Raymond
for
Bozak + Kulemin + pick/prospect

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Grabovski-Raymond
MacArthur-Connolly-Frattin
Komarov-McClement-Brown
Why in heavens name, would the Leafs want Raymond?? Last I checked, the Leafs may have interest in Lou, and have an excess of forwards.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Max Quackenbush

Problem is that most of the TO players suggested going the other way are either unable to make the Leaf's Lineup or are fair-average NHLers. Luongo's trade value should bring at least one player who can eventually, if not now, play in the top 6 forwards or top 4 D on the Canucks. I am not seeing that so I suspect he will be shopped elsewhere. An intriguing suggestion from some 'insiders' is Columbus. Provided Luongo will play in Ohio and he recently said he would go along with whatever GMMG needs to do, this would be perhaps the best trading partner as they have Ryan Johansen and Ryan Murray, either one of which would be more what TO is offering. The other aspect is that, amongst other NHLers, Luongo has developed the most entertaining public persona. This is valuable to moribund franchises like Florida and Columbus, who above all need to sell tickets, Luongo could probably help them in that regard. Leaf fans are famous for their unwavering support regardless of era, or the quality of the product so Luongo would have no effect there except for the number of playoff dates he could help achieve and according to this thread this has fairly little value.

BTW: Check out Markstrom's year coming off major knee surgery last year, he is not lighting it up.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:13 AM
birddog*

There hasn't been word on any changes to the way retirements are handled in the new CBA. One would think there needs to be certainty this hasn't changed.

A second point of note is that Luongo is 33 and 34 in less than 3 months. He'll definitely be playing until he's 40 with the current deal. That alone is a significant risk. God forbid he should play the last 3 years -- that would be a disaster.

This isn't a post diminishing his value to upset Van fans -- only saying I would NOT touch him unless the deal was very soft. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, that is mine, not saying that's what will happen.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:14 AM
CellarDweller0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Then Morrison is a moron. BobbyMac, every other TSN analyst and Luongo himself have all implied, or outright stated the precise opposite. Look, I get it. You want Luongo at a bargain trade. You've ripped off Calgary and Nashville. We're just not letting you get that hat trick with us.
LoL @ you thinking that you have any input in the outcome of this pending trade.

Don't worry folks, it won't be long before we see who is eating crow.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:14 AM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
If he's traded to Toronto, would you bet your avatar rights on it?
sure.
how would that work?
would you be betting against the leafs?

Old
01-07-2013, 11:18 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Another GM wouldn't have to. We'd be better off putting him on waivers then accepting your trash. Gillis does not have to move Luongo now that the cap has stepped above $60M. So yes, he does have the strength of the draw here. Toronto's only alternative to goal - should they want an improvement - is Schneider. And guess who has him?
Funny how some things never change. The cap is reducing to 64 next year, there will be no availablility to "hide players salary" in the minors as many Nucks fans suggested, and Vancouver will be paying nearly 1/6 of their cap to two goalies, with forwards to sign next year, and Edler. Good luck with that, and i'm sure many teams will love to pay a premium on a goalie that has that cap hit for as long Lou has, and till he is 42. I recall many Nucks fans not willing to address this until the CBA became available, and here it is, and no one wants to look at the reality.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Bourne Endeavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellarDweller0 View Post
LoL @ you thinking that you have any input in the outcome of this pending trade.

Don't worry folks, it won't be long before we see who is eating crow.
I never said I did. Call it a hunch though, I happen to have a better gauge of what Gillis will do than you.

He is not going to come down for Gardiner++ to Blacker and Komisarek. Will he drop such lofty demands? Sure, but within the parameters I outlined above. Question, why is it when Leaf fans have said "Burke would never do that!" None of this "LOL, like you have any input" comments emerge. But when a Nuck fan, such as myself does so, well here we are.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:20 AM
trbr86

From James Mirtle's twitter: Can 100% confirm the new CBA will include the cap benefit recapture formula. It will apply to existing deals "in excess of six years."

So, assuming that this is the same cap benefit recapture that had originally been mooted, then the Canucks will ultimately be on the hook for Luongo's cap hit if he ever decides to retire prior to his contract expiring. Regardless of whether he retires playing for the Canucks or for another NHL team.

If anything, it takes the risk away from acquiring such a long-term contract and puts it back on the Canucks. This raises his trade value in that sense.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Reign Nateo

Guys like MacArthur, Colborne and Franson are a waste of time for Vancouver. They're not better than who the Canucks currently have pencilled into their line-up. Gotta start thinking outside the box people. Vancouver is not going to trade Luongo for depth they don't need.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Roboholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
I think if there is a Leafs/Canucks deal for Luongo it will be something like Kadri + Bozak + 2nd round pick or decent prospect like a Brad Ross or Joe Colborne or Jerry D'Amigo.
My guess is similar Kadri/bozak + Defenseman + 2nd.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:22 AM
CellarDweller0

Quote:
I never said I did. Call it a hunch though, I happen to have a better gauge of what Gillis will do than you.

He is not going to come down for Gardiner++ to Blacker and Komisarek. Will he drop such lofty demands? Sure, but within the parameters I outlined above. Question, why is it when Leaf fans have said "Burke would never do that!" None of this "LOL, like you have any input" comments emerge. But when a Nuck fan, such as myself does so, well here we are.
Oh relax, your verbage left you open for a little ribbing. Just having some fun no harm intended.

For the record though, there are is the occasional "like you have any input" statements against every fan and is not just a 'Nucks fan-centric reaction.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
I haven't been keeping up with the Florida talks, but I'm assuming Panthers fans are opposed to trading Bjugstad for Luongo, correct?
Ehm yeah. That's not happening.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Bourne Endeavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Funny how some things never change. The cap is reducing to 64 next year, there will be no availablility to "hide players salary" in the minors as many Nucks fans suggested, and Vancouver will be paying nearly 1/6 of their cap to two goalies, with forwards to sign next year, and Edler. Good luck with that, and i'm sure many teams will love to pay a premium on a goalie that has that cap hit for as long Lou has, and till he is 42. I recall many Nucks fans not willing to address this until the CBA became available, and here it is, and no one wants to look at the reality.
First, you misunderstood my post. The insinuation is by waiving him another would claim him, yet we would not have to retain Toronto junk. Thus, a better investment. And good luck indeed.

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m)
Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Kevin Connauton ($0.900m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,743,333; BONUSES: $310,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $866,667
-------

Hey, we have cap to spare too!

Old
01-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
We definitely know the fans say no, but as most things involving this Luongo saga, no one really knows anything for certain... Will be a very interesting day when this deal finally goes down.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Bourne Endeavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellarDweller0 View Post
Oh relax, your verbage left you open for a little ribbing. Just having some fun no harm intended.

For the record though, there are is the occasional "like you have any input" statements against every fan and is not just a 'Nucks fan-centric reaction.
Fair enough, suppose I am a little on edge given the meltdown this thread underwent, among other things.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:29 AM
CellarDweller0

Quote:
Fair enough, suppose I am a little on edge given the meltdown this thread underwent, among other things.
No worries, happens to all of us. It's the apprehension of "who is going to win the deal" that is inherent on HFB. Even when it's a Win/Win it's about who won more.

I'm a Leaf fan and I've been dealing with it since Burke got here so I get it.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Sterling31
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Quackenbush View Post
Problem is that most of the TO players suggested going the other way are either unable to make the Leaf's Lineup or are fair-average NHLers. Luongo's trade value should bring at least one player who can eventually, if not now, play in the top 6 forwards or top 4 D on the Canucks. I am not seeing that so I suspect he will be shopped elsewhere. An intriguing suggestion from some 'insiders' is Columbus. Provided Luongo will play in Ohio and he recently said he would go along with whatever GMMG needs to do, this would be perhaps the best trading partner as they have Ryan Johansen and Ryan Murray, either one of which would be more what TO is offering. The other aspect is that, amongst other NHLers, Luongo has developed the most entertaining public persona. This is valuable to moribund franchises like Florida and Columbus, who above all need to sell tickets, Luongo could probably help them in that regard. Leaf fans are famous for their unwavering support regardless of era, or the quality of the product so Luongo would have no effect there except for the number of playoff dates he could help achieve and according to this thread this has fairly little value.

BTW: Check out Markstrom's year coming off major knee surgery last year, he is not lighting it up.
Wait. you think they will trade Murray for Luongo.

I don't know what is worse. Leaf fans wanting Lu for upcoming UFA's or Nucks fans thinking they will snag a top prospect + from ANOTHER team that is looking to stockpile for the future.

Most of the teams ready to win have a top goalie; the rest that don't, wont be willing to give you their future. Simple fact.

Closed Thread