HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Official Bears Thread #14 - Historic collapse complete, Lovie fired

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 09:30 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
Really hoping the 49ers can beat the Packers this week. Don't want to see them in another Superbowl.
It's at San Fran. They're gonna get butt plowed.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Illinihockey

vCash: 500
So apparently Emery is interviewing everyone:

Bevill
Dennison
McCoy
Carmichael
Dicamillas
Trestman
Arians
Sullivan
Armstrong
Clements

Old
01-07-2013, 09:53 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Why not. If one of these guys becomes the next Lombardi and we didn't hire him, it could raise questions down the road but you have to do it anyway.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Why not. If one of these guys becomes the next Lombardi and we didn't hire him, it could raise questions down the road but you have to do it anyway.
Because its starting to feel like he has no idea who he wants which scares me. If you fire a coach with a 84-60 record, you better have a guy in mind that you want. Interviewing several guys is fine but at some point its too much and is worrisome.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:10 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Because its starting to feel like he has no idea who he wants which scares me. If you fire a coach with a 84-60 record, you better have a guy in mind that you want. Interviewing several guys is fine but at some point its too much and is worrisome.
Well, I think he is looking for the "wow factor" which isn't how I would go about it but it is what it looks like.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:14 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
I disagree. I like that he's looking for the best. It was said last weekend he would be interviewing 12 people and bringing back 2 finalists. I like that he's being thorough and finding the best candidate instead of just going through a few.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:26 AM
coldsteelonice84

I love how thorough he has been and just learned about him bringing back 2 finalists from Torment so that alieviates my concerns about him looking to be blown away by a great interview. Emery knows what he is doing, his job.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Recoil

Quote:
I never shared this mindset, and thought of it as him just being very thorough. You can't have someone "in mind" if you really don't know anything about the candidates (you would just be going by name/rep), and you can't know candidates without interviewing them. That being said, I saw this great post on another site which really sums up the situation very well. Let me know your thought son this:

Quote:
From where I sit, Emery is doing this the right way on so many levels.

Firstly, most experts agree that of all the openings, the Bears HC job is probably the most coveted in the NFL . This means, Emery has a chance not only to get interviews with the best candidates but these candidates are likely to be eager beavers. Anyone who has ever conducted a search knows that the interview process is a fantastic way of getting intel and insight into the industry. Job candidates from your competitors are going to share information in a job interview that they would never share in a regular meeting.

Emery is taking this chance to meet with and build rapport and relationships with an important group of up and coming NFL coaches. He can only hire one now but the insights he’ll get will serve him well in a multitude of ways; during the draft, during FA discussions, during trade opportunities…you name it.

If I was a fan of another team (like the Bills) who just went and signed a .500 college coach without taking this amazing opportunity, I’d be disappointed. Emery is meeting with the coordinators from how many Playoff teams? Green Bay, Houston, Seattle, Atlanta, Denver, Indy; from offensive powerhouses like New Orleans; from up and comers like Tampa Bay from Dallas and from the best team in the CFL. I think what he’s doing is amazing and I’m very happy about it.

Silly is the LAST thing I feel about this search so far.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
I never shared this mindset, and thought of it as him just being very thorough. You can't have someone "in mind" if you really don't know anything about the candidates (you would just be going by name/rep), and you can't know candidates without interviewing them. That being said, I saw this great post on another site which really sums up the situation very well. Let me know your thought son this:
I agree to that sentiment to an extent. I just feel you do your homework about who you may want before you fire your coach. As long as he has his finalists by the end of the week, I'm fine with it. I just don't want to hear about 4 more names popping up tomorrow.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Recoil

Quote:
I agree to that sentiment to an extent. I just feel you do your homework about who you may want before you fire your coach. As long as he has his finalists by the end of the week, I'm fine with it. I just don't want to hear about 4 more names popping up tomorrow.
I actually think Emery started doing his homework around Week 10 when the wheels started coming off. I don't think that candidate list is something he put together on the fly. I think he always had a plan or a scenario in mind where he may fire Lovie after this season. If the team doesn't finish 3-5 their last 8 games and miss the playoffs, perhaps we don't see that plan, but I think it was in place for a while and is now starting to play out.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Illinihockey

Instead of drafting a tight end high, I hope the Bears use the Spaeth and Davis money to sign one of Martellus Bennet, Jared Cook, Dustin Keller, Fred Davis, or Dallas Clark. You can then use a later round pick (4th or 5th round) to find a 2nd tight end.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Sarava

Quote:
He can only do so much without talking to these guys - which he couldn't do without formal interviews. Personally I'm super impressed with how he has handled firing Lovie and the process of replacing him (so far).

Old
01-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
He can only do so much without talking to these guys - which he couldn't do without formal interviews. Personally I'm super impressed with how he has handled firing Lovie and the process of replacing him (so far).
There's a lot he can do by looking at the systems they have run, plays they have called, personel groups they've been in charge of as position coaches, can talk to agents, former colleagues, former bosses. There shouldn't be a ton of surprise when you start interviewing people.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:26 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Instead of drafting a tight end high, I hope the Bears use the Spaeth and Davis money to sign one of Martellus Bennet, Jared Cook, Dustin Keller, Fred Davis, or Dallas Clark. You can then use a later round pick (4th or 5th round) to find a 2nd tight end.
no thanks on Clark

Old
01-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
no thanks on Clark
He's on his last legs so it'd have to be a 1 or 2 year deal but he still almost put up 50 catches this season. He was the one guy I almost left off the list.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Illinihockey

For what its worth, Boers and Bernstein who both have pretty good NFL sources doesn't think McCoy, Clements, or Arians are Emery's preferred choice but wouldn't elaborate.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:10 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Would prefer Bennett, would like Cook as a backup. Not a big Keller or Davis fan. Would probably prefer Clark as a 1 year plug over those two.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
For what its worth, Boers and Bernstein who both have pretty good NFL sources doesn't think McCoy, Clements, or Arians are Emery's preferred choice but wouldn't elaborate.
Interesting because the more we hear from national guys and Denver people ,, The perception is that McCoy is his top choice

Old
01-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Interesting because the more we hear from national guys and Denver people ,, The perception is that McCoy is his top choice
this and others reported Arians is his top choice.

Bears were the only team to interview McCoy 4 hours. The others only got 3 hours.
Right now, there is nothing like a clear cut favorite. That's why it takes sooo much time and interviews. We are the best destination for a up and coming HC

Old
01-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Illinihockey

They are saying Emery has 2 clear cut favorites and he's using the rest of these interviews to get the scoop on other teams.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:12 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Lots of rumors out there that RG III's knee injury is fairly bad. Not confirmed yet but one report had him out 15-18 months.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Lots of rumors out there that RG III's knee injury is fairly bad. Not confirmed yet but one report had him out 15-18 months.
If true ,, Shanny is gonna get torched

Only good thing is Shanny made very smart draft pick in Cousins as well

Old
01-07-2013, 04:21 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Also, it's the same ACL he blew out in college FWIW.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:22 PM
coldsteelonice84

He was playing hurt for weeks, just stupidity on all of their parts.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:26 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
They are saying Emery has 2 clear cut favorites and he's using the rest of these interviews to get the scoop on other teams.
That's all the Clemmens interview was to me.

Closed Thread