HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Hockey Prospectus top 50 for 2013 draft

Old
01-06-2013, 07:14 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I'm praying the Blues find a way to get Nichushkin...Or any highly skilled center prospect for that matter. LOL
Nichushkin is a winger.

Chances are a highly skilled center that will be there is Buchnevich, only Pronman ranks him even in the 1st round..

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
The only reason I bring up the playoffs for Petan, is that a strong one with tougher play might help address some concerns with how his skills might transfer to the next level despite his size concerns.

I'm also curious if Jackson Houck was in the mix at all?

Very good skater, super competitive but his production might be lower than expected because of the poor support in Vancouver.

Certainly not a 1st rounder but might be a top 50 pick?

Your thoughts?

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Pronman View Post
Thanks, I think?

I assume you used Nichushkin because of the transfer risk? If so then same logic could apply to Buchnevich and Slepyshev.
Haha, love your lists man.

Yeah, I mean there's obviously some puck possession guys who drive themselves up your lists, but maybe not on others'.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:24 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:

I'd guess somewhere in the top 60-75, but could see someone really buying high on the tools. Elite physical game, good defense, skates well especially for his size, but I question his offensive upside.
Thanks for response!

hab 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Jebuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahl2Stall View Post
Zadorov drops 7 spots but he has nothing negative to say about him?
Agreed, his play has steadily improved all year and he demonstrated that he can step up under pressure when London was missing Maatta and Harrington at the WJC.

Jebuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Xokkeu

Hudson Fasching slowly but surely plummeting off your list their Corey. Would you mind elaborating on that one?

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:18 PM
Corey Pronman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
The only reason I bring up the playoffs for Petan, is that a strong one with tougher play might help address some concerns with how his skills might transfer to the next level despite his size concerns.

I'm also curious if Jackson Houck was in the mix at all?

Very good skater, super competitive but his production might be lower than expected because of the poor support in Vancouver.

Certainly not a 1st rounder but might be a top 50 pick?

Your thoughts?
I don't know Houck too well, as I approached this piece looking for top 2 rounds prospects. I've never gotten the impression this season he fits that mold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Hudson Fasching slowly but surely plummeting off your list their Corey. Would you mind elaborating on that one?
I considered Fasching and wasn't that far out, but he'll have to be better in the 2nd half to get into my top 45. Very toolsy... good skater, hands and frame but he's been inconsistent.

Corey Pronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:32 PM
FLYguy3911

Nurse seems a little low.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:40 PM
arsmaster

Horvat at 45....Have only watched one game since late November, but I check the box scores regularly and the guy is an inferno on the stats sheet lately, couple that with his two way game and effort level and I'm not sure I take 44 players before him.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:27 PM
RomersWorld

Wow, this list isn't even THAT ridiculous. Maybe because Detroit hasn't drafted any of them yet.

RomersWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbot View Post
Interestering that there's the potential for guys from the same team to go 1-2. Has that ever happpened before?
The potential for it happened just last year with Yakupov and Galchenyuk.

Some think it would've happened last year for sure had Galchenyuk not torn his ACL.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Bure

vCash: 50
Buchnevich is a great player. Highly skilled, glad you appreciate him.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:45 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Horvat at 45....Have only watched one game since late November, but I check the box scores regularly and the guy is an inferno on the stats sheet lately, couple that with his two way game and effort level and I'm not sure I take 44 players before him.
Horvat at 45 is about my only issue with this list. He's a first round prospect for sure and there's a reason Hunter has been sending him over the boards late in games instead of Domi (who's no slouche).

His late surge in offense is just a bonus that people underestimate.

dean youngblood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:51 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I think Kujawinski's going to make a slow climb up the rankings. He got off to a horrible start, goal scoring-wise, but has since snapped out of the funk. I believe he had 5 goals in the first 30 or so games, but has 5 since returning from the Christmas break.

At one point he looked like a potential first round pick. I think his goal scoring troubles contributed to his drop, but if his goal scoring continues to rebound, I think that one fear will be alleviated.

He still has to work on his foot speed, but he's got the potential, IMO, to be a similar player to someone like a Jordan Staal (offensively).
Kujawinski isn't a "goal scorer". He's at his best as a hard working and getting pucks to his teammates. He won't put anyone on their edge of their seats by scoring regularly or making slick passes but he can play that hard-working North American game to become a top 9 forward.

I said this from the start of the season but expectations were way too high for Kujawinski and the top 10 rnakings just weren't justifiable with his skill set. Still a great prospect but he's got lots of weaknesses to work on.

Kujawinski's late surge in offensive production can be attributed to Kingston's top line (Watson-Ikonen) being away at the Under-17 World Championship.

dean youngblood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Corey Pronman

Quote:
I'm not sure I buy the offensive upside for him to be in the top 30 in a pretty strong class. He has a solid amount of offensive talent, but don't buy anything truly of a stand out nature. He's a good well-rounded player though who has a lot of intriguing elements to his game. Also is there a forward who hasn't had good box scores on London?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Wow, this list isn't even THAT ridiculous. Maybe because Detroit hasn't drafted any of them yet.
Love you guys.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:16 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Nichushkin is a winger.

Chances are a highly skilled center that will be there is Buchnevich, only Pronman ranks him even in the 1st round..
With his size and compete level, I think he could be molded into a great center. We'll have to see where he goes.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:22 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Seth Jones behind Drouin is absurd.

Literally every tool you could possibly ask for in a defenseman on the ice and great make-up off the ice.

He will be the #1 pick in my opinion.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:28 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
I'm not sure I buy the offensive upside for him to be in the top 30 in a pretty strong class. He has a solid amount of offensive talent, but don't buy anything truly of a stand out nature. He's a good well-rounded player though who has a lot of intriguing elements to his game. Also is there a forward who hasn't had good box scores on London?

There has been a HUGE spike in Horvat's production, that has basically coincided with London's massive winning streak.

From what I can judge (based on one TV viewing, highlights, box scores, and reading game reports/assessments) Horvat is the catalyst offensively.

You put him out to get a goal, to keep a lead, to kill a penalty, to score on the PP.....

Yes, London has a good team, that always seems to produce, but Horvat's production + skill + effort + intangible leadership qualities is a 1st rounder in my books.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Kujawinski isn't a "goal scorer". He's at his best as a hard working and getting pucks to his teammates. He won't put anyone on their edge of their seats by scoring regularly or making slick passes but he can play that hard-working North American game to become a top 9 forward.

I said this from the start of the season but expectations were way too high for Kujawinski and the top 10 rnakings just weren't justifiable with his skill set. Still a great prospect but he's got lots of weaknesses to work on.

Kujawinski's late surge in offensive production can be attributed to Kingston's top line (Watson-Ikonen) being away at the Under-17 World Championship.
I didn't say Kujawinski was a goal scorer, I said that his goal scoring totals likely had a lot to do with his drop in rankings due to concerns over his overall offensive production. Regardless of whether he's a pure goal scorer, or a pure playmaker, or whatever. No one is going to rank him in the first round when he's got 5 goals in 34 games (on pace at the time for around 10 goals total). Now that that "statistical concern" isn't so noticeable, I think his ranking will go up.

Actually, Kujawinski's surge in offensive production can be attributed to him doing the things he did last season to find success. He's going to the net more regularly, and just generally being more assertive offensively these past few games that he wasn't in the first half. Also, Ikonen didn't make the WJC. He's actually been playing with Kujawinski on a line with Povorosniouk, and the line has shown good chemistry.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:42 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
With his size and compete level, I think he could be molded into a great center. We'll have to see where he goes.
If he gained vision and passing ability.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Corey Pronman

Quote:
There has been a HUGE spike in Horvat's production, that has basically coincided with London's massive winning streak.

From what I can judge (based on one TV viewing, highlights, box scores, and reading game reports/assessments) Horvat is the catalyst offensively.

You put him out to get a goal, to keep a lead, to kill a penalty, to score on the PP.....

Yes, London has a good team, that always seems to produce, but Horvat's production + skill + effort + intangible leadership qualities is a 1st rounder in my books.
I may have communicated poorly what I said. I don't believe Horvat is without offensive gifts, to go along with his physical and defensive value, I just don't buy truly significant offensive upside. In a strong class, you would need that to get into my top 30.

Also re: Kujawinski, I was talking to a Head Scout about him and he kind of echoed what some of the posts here discuss. He told me that he's a hard working player, who can at times flash quality offensive ability, but is inconsistent in that area and some nights looks very average offensively.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:05 PM
letterH

Hard to believe Madison Bowey wont be picked in the top 50, seems to be moving up every other draft chart.

FYI- Klimchuk does Not play for Kelowna

letterH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:51 PM
dan1el

Anyone else think de la Rose is a bit high? I wasn't really expecting him to go until mid-second at best from what I'd seen.

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 07:27 AM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
Anyone else think de la Rose is a bit high? I wasn't really expecting him to go until mid-second at best from what I'd seen.
Kid's a beast.

dynastyREredux is online now   Reply With Quote