HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Talk: The Final Countdown...?

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 09:58 AM
SpecialK139
Bo Hor-fat

vCash: 500
Forgive me if this has been brought up already, but is trading Lu such a good idea in a compressed sprint to the finish kind of season like what the Canucks are facing this year? With so many games in so little time wouldn't it be better for the boys in blue to have two reliable goalies they can roll with for an even split of games to keep them fresh for the playoff? I don't doubt that Schneider is a good goalie, and admittedly I'm personally a huge Lu fan, but it seems like handing the reins to Schneider to prove himself in a short season with less room for error than a typical season may not be the best course of action, especially with the scraps we appear to be offered from other teams (though admittedly HF is not real life, and GMs may be willing to pay more than Leafs fans). I would rather see us keep both goalies for the shortened year, hopefully boost both of their values through strong play down the stretch (where other teams may have issues with their starters) and then trade one in the summer around the draft to get under the cap.

There are obviously some cap implications in this path (and a nasty Lu vs Schneids argument that I don't want to get into ) but are there any reasons that we shouldn't keep both for the shortened season? Let's be honest, if the best piece we're getting back is Bozak, wouldn't everyone here rather have a reliable net presence (especially while AV figures out defence pairings) than a new third line centre? With all these amnesty buyouts we might even be able to pick up a 3C through free agency for cheap...

Old
01-07-2013, 10:01 AM
keslerburrows

@FarhanLaljiTSN: #Luongo skating in Coral Springs today. Still wearing a #canucks jersey @strombone1 #tsn http://t.co/4EyiBaft

Old
01-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Thanks for reminding me that Vigneault is still our coach, I had forgotten for the past 8 months...

How did exchanging Hodgson for defensive mastermind Pahlson turn out? We lack natural goal scorers in our top 6 as is, so to just completely ignore dressing skill players on the 3rd line is extremely stupid - but Im not surprised AV advocates that.
Who are you going to put out in shut-down situations then, the 4th line that usually only sees 7 mins on a good night? The western conference has plenty of teams that just sit on leads, or if it's tied, sit back, don't take chances offensively and just wait for the other team to make a mistake. If we have 3 offensive lines, chances are higher that we are going to make that mistake while trying to create offense, especially from the third line which would have been centered by a rookie. If the top two lines aren't producing, the team is already in trouble.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:11 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Who are you going to put out in shut-down situations then, the 4th line that usually only sees 7 mins on a good night? The western conference has plenty of teams that just sit on leads, or if it's tied, sit back, don't take chances offensively and just wait for the other team to make a mistake. If we have 3 offensive lines, chances are higher that we are going to make that mistake while trying to create offense, especially from the third line which would have been centered by a rookie. If the top two lines aren't producing, the team is already in trouble.
That's why having a top goalie is very valuable because they can bail you out every now and then when this happens. As long as you are able to score and give him some offensive support you should be fine. For some reason we are taking a different approach which hasn't been successful in the playoffs.

01-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK139 View Post
Forgive me if this has been brought up already, but is trading Lu such a good idea in a compressed sprint to the finish kind of season like what the Canucks are facing this year? With so many games in so little time wouldn't it be better for the boys in blue to have two reliable goalies they can roll with for an even split of games to keep them fresh for the playoff? I don't doubt that Schneider is a good goalie, and admittedly I'm personally a huge Lu fan, but it seems like handing the reins to Schneider to prove himself in a short season with less room for error than a typical season may not be the best course of action, especially with the scraps we appear to be offered from other teams (though admittedly HF is not real life, and GMs may be willing to pay more than Leafs fans). I would rather see us keep both goalies for the shortened year, hopefully boost both of their values through strong play down the stretch (where other teams may have issues with their starters) and then trade one in the summer around the draft to get under the cap.

There are obviously some cap implications in this path (and a nasty Lu vs Schneids argument that I don't want to get into ) but are there any reasons that we shouldn't keep both for the shortened season? Let's be honest, if the best piece we're getting back is Bozak, wouldn't everyone here rather have a reliable net presence (especially while AV figures out defence pairings) than a new third line centre? With all these amnesty buyouts we might even be able to pick up a 3C through free agency for cheap...
Lack has had a poor year as well. There aren't any good back-up options right now in the system, and the UFA market is very weak for goaltenders. I wouldn't be surprised if Luongo is still a Canuck through the end of the season, but I would be surprised if we have both Luongo/Schneider for the 2013-2014 season.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
I don't think Kadri is any worse than Schroeder defensively and AV may not have the luxury to wait forever for the younger guys. With a tighter salary cap, you have to get meaningful contributions from guys on entry level contracts. Once Kesler returns, Kadri could be moved to the wing where he has less defensive responsibility.

Our last 2 playoff series were similar in that our offense sputtered and died with injuries to key front line players. Some offensive scoring depth might have got us past the Kings in the first round last year.

I've watched some Marlies and Wolves games, and this is not the impression I got. Schroeder is _much_ better than Kadri defensively. Can you explain why you think they are equal?

And, again, from what I have seen, Kadri will not be a C in the NHL. Strictly a winger IMO.

That said, Bozak + Kadri + 1st is what I'm expecting, given the leak from Millard earlier, so I agree that Kadri is coming back in the deal.

On an unrelated note: How do you think GMs value potential lottery picks now that where you finish isn't necessarily the range in which you will pick. Does it make a GM like Burke more or less brazen in trading a 1st?

Old
01-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Screw it, I want to keep Lu. You know he is going to be incredibly motivated to prove his reputation and I sort of want to kick the Leaf fans in the shin. Him on another cup run would do precisely that. Call it petty but the sudden barrage of "he sucks LOLOL" that has manifested in that trade thread is enough to annoy anyone.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Samzilla
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Screw it, I want to keep Lu. You know he is going to be incredibly motivated to prove his reputation and I sort of want to kick the Leaf fans in the shin. Him on another cup run would do precisely that. Call it petty but the sudden barrage of "he sucks LOLOL" that has manifested in that trade thread is enough to annoy anyone.
So much this.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:19 AM
trbr86

From James Mirtle's twitter: Can 100% confirm the new CBA will include the cap benefit recapture formula. It will apply to existing deals "in excess of six years."

So, assuming that this is the same cap benefit recapture that had originally been mooted, then the Canucks will ultimately be on the hook for Luongo's cap hit if he ever decides to retire prior to his contract expiring.

If anything, it takes the risk away from acquiring such a long-term contract and puts it back on the Canucks. This raises his trade value in that sense.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
I agree with this. I just think we are going to regret this move... Something tells me he has one run left in him, and I want it to be with us, not the Leafs.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Vote for Rory

Rob Longley ‏@longleysunsport
#Luongo says he has given #Canucks GM Mike Gillis the "green light" to do whatever he needs."
Retweeted by Hosea Cheung

Old
01-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbr86 View Post
From James Mirtle's twitter: Can 100% confirm the new CBA will include the cap benefit recapture formula. It will apply to existing deals "in excess of six years."

So, assuming that this is the same cap benefit recapture that had originally been mooted, then the Canucks will ultimately be on the hook for Luongo's cap hit if he ever decides to retire prior to his contract expiring.

If anything, it takes the risk away from acquiring such a long-term contract and puts it back on the Canucks. This raises his trade value in that sense.

Can you list the Cap Benefit Recapture formula?

There is a clause where teams can pay for a part of the existing contract for a player, so as to not burden the destination team with a portion of the deal, but this is an option to the Canucks, not a detriment.

From a past Mirtle: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle6251627/

Quote:
“We are proposing that all years of existing long-term contracts in excess of five (5) years be counted against a Club's Cap regardless of whether or where a Player is playing. While such contracts (and Cap charges) can be traded during their terms, in the event a Player subsequently retires or ceases to play, the effective Cap charge would revert to the Club that originally entered into the contract.”

Ruh roh. Canucks stuck with the back end of Luongo's deal.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:29 AM
trbr86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post

There is a clause where teams can pay for a part of the existing contract for a player, so as to not burden the destination team with a portion of the deal, but this is an option to the Canucks, not a detriment.
I just tweeted Mirtle and asked him to expand on what he knows. If I recall, the original formula proposed by the NHL was fairly rigid: if a "cap-circumvention" player retired, the team that signed him to that contract would be on the hook automatically.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I just tweeted Mirtle and asked him to expand on what he knows. If I recall, the original formula proposed by the NHL was fairly rigid: if a "cap-circumvention" player retired, the team that signed him to that contract would be on the hook automatically.

Lovely.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:33 AM
trbr86

Quote:
In the grand scheme of things though, imagine if the relationship between Vancouver and Luongo was still great and he finished his career here prior to his contract ending. The Canucks were always anticipating that they would be paying for his "retirement years" against the cap.

It seems like the Canucks will likely be in the same situation now, except with a different set of players on our roster instead of Luongo.

And let's say he doesn't retire until 2019-2020. By then the salary cap could be north of 80m for the subsequent seasons. For all we know, his 5.3m cap will be small potatoes in the grand scheme of the salary cap.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
In the grand scheme of things though, imagine if the relationship between Vancouver and Luongo was still great and he finished his career here prior to his contract ending. The Canucks were always anticipating that they would be paying for his "retirement years" against the cap.

It seems like the Canucks will likely be in the same situation now, except with a different set of players on our roster instead of Luongo.

And let's say he doesn't retire until 2019-2020. By then the salary cap could be north of 80m for the subsequent seasons. For all we know, his 5.3m cap will be small potatoes in the grand scheme of the salary cap.

The best way to get around this is to trade back for him and LTIR him. I wonder how PHI is going to feel about this?

Old
01-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Nick the Viking

Quote:

Never thought of it that way. That makes a ton of sense

Old
01-07-2013, 11:41 AM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:

From a past Mirtle: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle6251627/

Could be worse, as a goalie he'll likely be hanging around for a while. Think of some of the forwards out there with contracts like that, I don't think they'll last that long.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:43 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
The best way to get around this is to trade back for him and LTIR him. I wonder how PHI is going to feel about this?
Sure makes him more valuable than Bozak + Kadri + 1st, if HE has nothing to do with you're cap when he retires.

Now his contract has NO INFLUENCE on the deal for the acquiring team, so silly Toronto fans....how you going to drive his value down now?

Old
01-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Bleach Clean

So reading up on this some more: The CBR formula is actually the PA's answer to the NHL's more draconian measure of just tacking on the remaining cap-hit to the original team. Here are it's details (From same Mirtle article):

Quote:
In response to the league’s call for such an alteration, the NHLPA devised something called a “cap benefit recapture formula,” which would punish teams with players who retired early on long-term deals by putting the money they saved over the term of the deal on their cap after they’ve retired.

This notion has been around for a while, but the change that came last week was that the PA offered to apply this formula to any new contracts that are seven years or longer OR existing deals with seven years or more remaining.

Another change to the PA's previous proposal is that instead of allowing the post-retirement cap penalty to be spread over twice the length remaining on the deal it can only be spread over the number of years that the player didn't play.

So what is the "money saved over the term of the deal"? And how do they apply it to the cap?

Old
01-07-2013, 11:48 AM
arsmaster

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Boy View Post
Never thought of it that way. That makes a ton of sense
Disagree.

They 'retirement years' were to lower the hit, that $5.3 was never going to count against the cap under the last CBA. I don't believe the Canucks anticipated paying a 43 year old goalie $5.3 million of cap space. i think they anticipated him retiring at 39.

In reality though, it helps us get better value now, and if he performs well through his final year of $6.7m salary, the buyout would be PEANUTS on the cap, especially if the league revenues grow like they did pre-2012 lockout.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Disagree.

They 'retirement years' were to lower the hit, that $5.3 was never going to count against the cap under the last CBA. I don't believe the Canucks anticipated paying a 43 year old goalie $5.3 million of cap space. i think they anticipated him retiring at 39.

In reality though, it helps us get better value now, and if he performs well through his final year of $6.7m salary, the buyout would be PEANUTS on the cap, especially if the league revenues grow like they did pre-2012 lockout.

What buyout? If he's no longer a Canuck at that point, how can he be bought out?

I guess I am not fully understanding the full implications of the PA proposed CBR formula.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:54 AM
MikeK

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Sure makes him more valuable than Bozak + Kadri + 1st, if HE has nothing to do with you're cap when he retires.

Now his contract has NO INFLUENCE on the deal for the acquiring team, so silly Toronto fans....how you going to drive his value down now?
Exactly! Unless I am missing something this all but eliminates his contract from any negative remarks regarding a Luongo deal. With a $5.3M cap hit for a legit elite goalie and no outside risks to a team acquiring him I feel the price just went way up.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Cogburn

So....we're screwed (Luongo), NYI is screwed (DiPietro), Chicago is screwed (Hossa, I think Sharp), New Jersey is screwed (Kovalchuk), Nashville is screwed, and I'd think Philadelphia has consequences as well (Weber), Philadelphia is screwed anyway (Hartnell and Pronger), Boston is screwed (Chara, Savard), Minnesota could be screwed (Parise and Suter) and Detroit is super screwed (Zetterberg, Franzen and Kronwall).

I mean, this is just off the top of my head, but that is 8 teams in a similar or worse boat then us, and I know there are more.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:58 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
What buyout? If he's no longer a Canuck at that point, how can he be bought out?

I guess I am not fully understanding the full implications of the PA proposed CBR formula.
So if he retires after 2017-2018 (last year at 6.7), there would be 4 years left on the deal that would count against Vancouver's cap.

In my head, I believe he'd be owed $7 million over the last 4 years of the deal. Vancouver in a sense 'owns his contract' so they could buy it out for 2/3's of $7 million ($4.7m) and spread that over 4 years ($1.1725 cap hit for those 4 years, since they took away the buyout period being spread out over twice the amount of years).

Does that make sense?

Closed Thread