HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: The Neverending Story

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
To Toronto:
Upshall
Theodore

To Florida:
Luongo
Lombardi

To Vancouver:
Bozak
Trocheck
Franson
Nope. No one of interest for the Nucks and I doubt the Leafs want the inferior goalie in any three-way.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
It doesn't take away any risk. All it does is punish Vancouver.

The risk of having a player near the end (or at the end) of his prime with a long-term deal (and fairly significant cap-hit) still remains.

It won't change Luongo's value positively or negatively than whatever it was before. The risk is still there, just teams like Vancouver, Philadelphia and others will be punished as well.

This is more or less correct. However, there was at one point speculation that the team with such a contract would be saddled with the retirement cap-hit. So in that sense, TOR is off scott free.

But yes, in actuality, all this does is punish VAN. And from what some are saying, the punishment doesn't seem severe at all.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:56 AM
HABSFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
With the compressed schedule and shortened season the starter/backup roles would likely be interchangeable. They would each get 45-55% of the games and coach would play the hot hand going into the playoffs. I'm not sure that causes much tension between a close knit locker room, regardless of how sure you are.
Didn't Luo say something along the lines of he looks forward to being traded? Pretty sure he said last year about he would prefer to go to Florida as there's family there etc. Either way I'm sure you can agree that Luo feels he's a number 1 goalie, and I just don't see a backup or hybrid situation working with him. I could be 100% wrong of course.. just saying plus him having a known value right now I think makes more sense for Van to get rid of him sooner rather then later.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
I was curious and looked up what Luongo was originally traded for when he went to Vancouver. I think his value is probably a little higher but not much IMO:

Vancouver Canucks traded Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen and Alex Auld to the Florida Panthers for Roberto Luongo, Lukas Krajicek and a 6th round selection in 2006.

So it works out to a top 6 forward with some issues, top 4 d-man with injury concerns and backup goalie for Lu, a d-man prospect and useless pick thrown in. I'm not sure I would want to give up too much more than that considering his age & contract (regardless of cap hit, he's getting paid about $7M per season for the next several yrs).

Old
01-07-2013, 10:57 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Then Weise walks. %5 does little to alter Tanev and Cannauton's contracts to make it relevant.

Can still be accomplished under the cap.

Higgins is not liable to receive much of a raise under the new cap; Lapierre even less so. Were it to happen we have both internal and external means of replacing them. I never said this would be the ideal scenario but merely to show plausibility there is no proverbial gun to our head in dealing Luongo.
I also doubt Connauton would be making more than $900,000. More likely he signs a 1 way deal at less money than accept a two way QO at slightly more.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:58 AM
HABSFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I was curious and looked up what Luongo was originally traded for when he went to Vancouver. I think his value is probably a little higher but not much IMO:

Vancouver Canucks traded Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen and Alex Auld to the Florida Panthers for Roberto Luongo, Lukas Krajicek and a 6th round selection in 2006.

So it works out to a top 6 forward with some issues, top 4 d-man with injury concerns and backup goalie for Lu, a d-man prospect and useless pick thrown in. I'm not sure I would want to give up too much more than that considering his age & contract (regardless of cap hit, he's getting paid about $7M per season for the next several yrs).
I'm pretty sure he was unsigned at the time though.. about to be UFA.. or close to it. Prolly hurt his value a tad.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:59 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Hopeful reach? This is terrible for the Canucks. How is that hopeful? More than likely, Luongo retires around 38-39 and VAN is saddled with the cap-hit. How is that good for the Canucks?

TOR is not saddled with his retirement number = good for TOR. Sure he could keep playing, but that's just a part of the package regardless.
So maybe you can show where the value is for the leafs to aquire a goalie who may only play for 4 years and possibly not at a high level?

Old
01-07-2013, 10:59 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABSFTW View Post
Didn't Luo say something along the lines of he looks forward to being traded? Pretty sure he said last year about he would prefer to go to Florida as there's family there etc. Either way I'm sure you can agree that Luo feels he's a number 1 goalie, and I just don't see a backup or hybrid situation working with him. I could be 100% wrong of course.. just saying plus him having a known value right now I think makes more sense for Van to get rid of him sooner rather then later.
Luongo has said a lot of things (just check his twitter) but he has yet to say anything that implies he would be unprofessional if kept in Vancouver next year.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:00 AM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
It doesn't take away any risk. All it does is punish Vancouver.

The risk of having a player near the end (or at the end) of his prime with a long-term deal (and fairly significant cap-hit) still remains.

It won't change Luongo's value positively or negatively than whatever it was before. The risk is still there, just teams like Vancouver, Philadelphia and others will be punished as well.
This.

Under the old CBA, the cap hit would have just disappeared. Now it will revert back to Vancouver. Either way, it makes zero difference to the team acquiring him.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:00 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I am not sure that Mirtle's tweet means what some are saying it does. The "cap benefit recapture formula" was the PA's response to the NHL's desire that teams that signed the contracts get dinged with the penalties. From this article, it means this:

Quote:
In response to the league’s call for such an alteration, the NHLPA devised something called a “cap benefit recapture formula,” which would punish teams with players who retired early on long-term deals by putting the money they saved over the term of the deal on their cap after they’ve retired.
But I am not sure if that applies to the team that currently has the contract, or the team that signed the contract, or both. More info is needed before people assume Vancouver will be on the hook if RL retires early.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Flat Stanley

Vancouver and Florida have been good trading partners in the past, I think Luongo said he has family in Florida, they are a playoff team, adding him over Theodore would make them a better team. I think if Luongo is getting traded, the Florida Panthers are the favorite.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I am not sure that Mirtle's tweet means what some are saying it does. The "cap benefit recapture formula" was the PA's response to the NHL's desire that teams that signed the contracts get dinged with the penalties. From this article, it means this:

But I am not sure if that applies to the team that currently has the contract, or the team that signed the contract, or both. More info is needed before people assume Vancouver will be on the hook if RL retires early.
Hmm...interesting post.

If in fact the team that acquires Luongo gets this applied to them, that adds a concern...

Old
01-07-2013, 11:07 AM
NYVanfan

Quote:
This is more or less correct. However, there was at one point speculation that the team with such a contract would be saddled with the retirement cap-hit. So in that sense, TOR is off scott free.

But yes, in actuality, all this does is punish VAN. And from what some are saying, the punishment doesn't seem severe at all.
so we're on the hook for $5.3M per year for the last 3-4 years of the deal after he retires? That's absolutely brutal, no? Same thing for Kovy, Hossa, etc I guess..?

Old
01-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
So maybe you can show where the value is for the leafs to aquire a goalie who may only play for 4 years and possibly not at a high level?

Actually 5 years, if you count this shortened season. I think having high end goaltending over that span is worth something no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post

You're right, more info is needed. As it was explained on the VAN boards, this could translate to only about 1m on the books for 3-4 years (depending on when he retires). As is my understanding. But like you said, it's still unclear as to who is on the hook. Not enough info yet to know.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
so we're on the hook for $5.3M per year for the last 3-4 years of the deal after he retires? That's absolutely brutal, no? Same thing for Kovy, Hossa, etc I guess..?

No, it's "money saved", so that would be actual salary saved.

What you are thinking here is what I initially thought, which would have been worse. But then, I still don't know for sure the full implications. So we'll have to wait and see.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post

Allow us to use that example to draw a parallel.

Fleischmann/Versteeg = Bertuzzi
Kulikov - Allen (Technically, Garrison but yeah...)
Auld = Clemmensen

Now for Toronto

Lupul = Bertuzzi
Gunnarsson = Allen
Auld = Reimer

Sub in Kadri over Gunnarsson because we don't need him and Toronto does. You could also swap Lupul for Kulemin if something enticing was added.

Point remains those are distinctly superior offers to what most from either of those fanbases have tossed here.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:11 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Actually 5 years, if you count this shortened season. I think having high end goaltending over that span is worth something no?

You're right, more info is needed. As it was explained on the VAN boards, this could translate to only about 1m on the books for 3-4 years (depending on when he retires). As is my understanding. But like you said, it's still unclear as to who is on the hook. Not enough info yet to know.
So aquiring a goalie at 34 who could be on the decline with 4 and a half years left is not a risk ,no?

Old
01-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
So aquiring a goalie at 34 who could be on the decline with 4 and a half years left is not a risk ,no?
It is, thus most of us are not demanding Gardiner. Risk is inherent to trades. Were Luongo younger, and therefore less of a risk. The cost were be significantly greater.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:14 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Allow us to use that example to draw a parallel.

Fleischmann/Versteeg = Bertuzzi
Kulikov - Allen (Technically, Garrison but yeah...)
Auld = Clemmensen

Now for Toronto

Lupul = Bertuzzi
Gunnarsson = Allen
Auld = Reimer
Sub in Kadri over Gunnarsson because we don't need him and Toronto does. You could also swap Lupul for Kulemin if something enticing was added.

Point remains those are distinctly superior offers to what most from either of those fanbases have tossed here.
What do the players traded for Lou previously have anything to do with today?? Honestly, do you believe the potential return is anywhere close to that today??? Lou was alot younger and didnt have a massive contract and cap hit at the time. There is no comparisson there whatsoever.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Nope. No one of interest for the Nucks and I doubt the Leafs want the inferior goalie in any three-way.
Yea, if that's the price, the Leafs would much rather add an equivalent prospect to Trocheck and get Luongo.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
What do the players traded for Lou previously have anything to do with today?? Honestly, do you believe the potential return is anywhere close to that today??? Lou was alot younger and didnt have a massive contract and cap hit at the time. There is no comparisson there whatsoever.
I advise you go and read Coolburn's post again. Had you, you would have understood my response and why those players were relevant.

Correct, Luongo is older. He also has six years of elite numbers and retained a level of consistency that remains quite rare today. Age and contract only prevent us from demands like Gardiner+

Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
To Toronto:
Upshall
Theodore

To Florida:
Luongo
Lombardi

To Vancouver:
Bozak
Trocheck
Franson
One of these names is not like the others...

New Liskeard

Quote:
It is, thus most of us are not demanding Gardiner. Risk is inherent to trades. Were Luongo younger, and therefore less of a risk. The cost were be significantly greater.
I'm sure youre right. But real life and reality will tell you Lou is not younger, this is not 5 years ago; so to talk about what could and couldnt happen is an absolute waste. The reality is this, the cap will go down next year, his contract cannot be burried, he is going to be 34 soon, and has a 5.3 cap hit till he is 42. That is the reality, and you are right about one thing, there is risk in aquiring him.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:19 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
I advise you go and read Coolburn's post again. Had you, you would have understood my response and why those players were relevant.
Unless it is relevant to today, rather than what was and what could be, as so many here seem to enoy doing it is a waste of time. The discusion is of today, and a potential trade involving Lou.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
I'm sure youre right. But real life and reality will tell you Lou is not younger, this is not 5 years ago; so to talk about what could and couldnt happen is an absolute waste. The reality is this, the cap will go down next year, his contract cannot be burried, he is going to be 34 soon, and has a 5.3 cap hit till he is 42. That is the reality, and you are right about one thing, there is risk in aquiring him.
There is risk in everything being offered too. What if Kadri busts? Bozak/Lupul/Macarthur walk? Kulemin remains a 7 goal scorer? Etc. Luongo is by far a surer bet to be an impact player than any package offered by fans here.

Closed Thread