HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Cherry: CHL should stop letting Americans and Europeans to play in CHL (merged)

Old
01-07-2013, 10:30 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by 732DevilsFan View Post
Don Cherry is a ****** anyway. He's extremely Pro-Canada and Anti-Euro and Anti-American and its borderline ridiculous. He's always teetering on the line of outright unacceptable and offensive.
Exactly. There used to be a line on his Wikipedia page citing his xenophobia. It was so controversial that they brought out 18 different sources to back-up the statement. It looked hilarious. They've since removed it, though.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
Point is that the USA and Canada are equal trading partners in more than goods.Canadian athletes are fully welcomed into US college programs,as are Americans into Canadian programs.It is just that most American athletes usually persue the NCAA route for an education as well as sports and Canadian ones would choose the CHL route first and NCAA second.
This is probably the best statement made in this whole damn thread.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:47 AM
gordie

Just waiting for the time when Don proposes that Canadians don't marry Americans.

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:03 AM
black charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
Just waiting for the time when Don proposes that Canadians don't marry Americans.
Don's deceased wife Rose was from Hershey,PA.

Last edited by black charger: 01-07-2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: spelling
black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:06 AM
gordie

Quote:
Don's deceased wife Rose was from Hershey,PA.
You did notice I added a

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:12 AM
black charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
You did notice I added a
My mistake.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:13 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Let's also not forget that the CHL teams don't solely exist to develop prospects. They are also want to win. If an American or a Euro can help[ them do that, they will want the guy on their team.

Same goes for NCAA teams when it comes to Canadians.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:20 AM
MaxV

I hope they do stop letting Euro players in CHL.

It'll improve their development.

MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:24 AM
ed bruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
Let's also not forget that the CHL teams don't solely exist to develop prospects. They are also want to win. If an American or a Euro can help[ them do that, they will want the guy on their team.

Same goes for NCAA teams when it comes to Canadians.
yeah some of the best CHL teams have the "worst" prospects. I really dont get where Cherry is coming from and Cherry has said some great things about Boston so this man is just all over the place.

ed bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:24 AM
black charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Exactly. There used to be a line on his Wikipedia page citing his xenophobia. It was so controversial that they brought out 18 different sources to back-up the statement. It looked hilarious. They've since removed it, though.
I'm pretty sure anyone can write anthing they want on Wikipedia,so I don't think I'd be basing a thesis on its contents.About Don being anti-American,that could be the furthest thing from the truth,he was the only public figure in Canada with the guts to condemn the Canadian government for not joining the US in the Iraq war,and stating that the US is our nieghbor and ally and we should have their back.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:26 AM
black charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
I hope they do stop letting Euro players in CHL.

It'll improve their development.
who's,the Canadian's or euro's.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:40 AM
ElRossoMatt

Canadian hockey should be appreciated for developing players from all around the world more than for winning the Olympic Gold Medal or whatever achievement makes Don Cherry celebrate like an imature kid.

ElRossoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
who's,the Canadian's or euro's.
He means Europeans.

I disagree when it comes to players outside of Sweden, Finland, Russia and the former Czechoslovakia

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:13 PM
black charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElRossoMatt View Post
Canadian hockey should be appreciated for developing players from all around the world more than for winning the Olympic Gold Medal or whatever achievement makes Don Cherry celebrate like an imature kid.
Yes it should and that was Don's main point.Canada is helping players worldwide to improve and the world is using the expert training and development they have recieved to "beat us at our own game".Remember,keep your freinds close and your enemies closer .This is ,just a saying,I don't actually mean enemies per say,just the competition.

Last edited by black charger: 01-07-2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Add info
Old
01-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Yes it should and that was Don's main point.Canada is helping players worldwide to improve and the world is using the expert training and development they have recieved to "beat us at our own game".
2011 Russia had 1 CHL player. In 2012 Sweden had 4. Of the 9 Americans who were CHL players this year, only four were playing in the CHL before this season. 2 of those four came through the US Development Program.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:29 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Maybe if Canadians were better at hockey, the teams wouldn't need to bring in players from America or Europe. Teams want to get better and win.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Momesso

Cherry has long been a xenophobic blowhard with an ever-dwindling fan base in Canada.

However, even I'm surprised at his Anti-American diatribe. As far as I'd known, he was always very pro-USA.

Put him out to pasture, please.

It's far passed the point where he has a voice not because he provides sound, respectable analysis, but because of these headline-grabbing rants that reveal a doddering old curmudgeon.

Momesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:38 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

3 Cheers for Xenophobia!!!

What a putz...

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:41 PM
ElRossoMatt

Quote:
Yes it should and that was Don's main point.Canada is helping players worldwide to improve and the world is using the expert training and development they have recieved to "beat us at our own game".Remember,keep your freinds close and your enemies closer .This is ,just a saying,I don't actually mean enemies per say,just the competition.
No, he wasn't just pointing it out, he positioned himself against it.
He says "Stop this" which is obviously the wrong thing.

ElRossoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Thesensation19

He has a point. Its suppose to be a league for the development of junior Canadian players, not Europeans. Hense why they have a limit of foriegn players.

The American players are quite a differ story. Why have franchises in America if you dont expect some to play in the league?

Brings up the question of why the NHL is still called the national hockey league when it consist of 2 nations. And various types of forigeners

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:24 PM
JS19
Pls Sharks win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
He has a point. Its suppose to be a league for the development of junior Canadian players, not Europeans. Hense why they have a limit of foriegn players.

The American players are quite a differ story. Why have franchises in America if you dont expect some to play in the league?

Brings up the question of why the NHL is still called the national hockey league when it consist of 2 nations. And various types of forigeners
Where does it say that the CHL means strictly Canadian junior hockey development? All the CHL suggests is "Canadian Hockey League" which means that the league itself takes place in Canada. It doesn't mean that the system of development is exclusive to Canadians. Otherwise explain to me why the CHL allows for importing players from other countries.

What kind of argument is that...I could easily say the same for NHL...what's the point of Boston Bruins having a franchise if their roster is dominated by Canadians? It makes absolutely no sense. You're implying that we should give franchises out on the basis of discrimination, where American Franchises = Population of American Players, Canadian Franchises = strictly Canadian Players.

Did you consider that maybe other development systems are getting better instead of "HUR DUR 'MURICANS 'EUROCANS GET OFF MY LAWN."

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
He's got a legit point about our dollars going towards this just to see our kid cut for a parent who hasn't given a cent to Canada.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:00 PM
JS19
Pls Sharks win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
He's got a legit point about our dollars going towards this just to see our kid cut for a parent who hasn't given a cent to Canada.
Except the part where the CHL doesn't give a damn who contributes money to Canada. It's not like the CHL is a government entity that only focuses on Canadian citizens. These are teams who want to be better, they don't give a damn where their players come from as long as they are great/good players.

Also, going by your logic, we should be mad at NHLers in the lockout, who haven't even contributed money to European countries, yet they're stealing a European's job when they're playing in the SEL/KHL/etc.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
But it does boost the competitive level for those who remain. Do you want a weaker league for 100 Canadian kids or a stronger league for 80? The ones who are going on to the next level, in the majority of cases, aren't the ones who are going to get displaced anyway, they're already in the 80, save for a few late blooming exceptions. I don't think Cherry has any valid point at all anywhere in this whole thing. It's just his flailing attempts to rationalize his xenophobia - conscious or subconcious, whatever. He's probably a nice enough guy and all and at least he *wants* to rationalize it. But he's missing the mark, and giving us a weaker CHL to watch isn't what we want.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Mowerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Except the part where the CHL doesn't give a damn who contributes money to Canada. It's not like the CHL is a government entity that only focuses on Canadian citizens. These are teams who want to be better, they don't give a damn where their players come from as long as they are great/good players.

Also, going by your logic, we should be mad at NHLers in the lockout, who haven't even contributed money to European countries, yet they're stealing a European's job when they're playing in the SEL/KHL/etc.
You didn't really come close to properly addressing his point (not that I agree with it).

It's also not as cut and dry acceptable as you'd like to make it out to be in regards to NHLers taking jobs from Europeans. I recall PK Subban stating that he wasn't playing in Europe because he didn't want to take away someone's job when he's already fortunate enough to make NHL money.

The issue with Don Cherry is that you have to have a sort of internal censor. He does have some legitimate points once you cut through a certain amount of nationalistic garbage to get to them. I wish he'd let up a bit, I actually like the dude when he just talks hockey.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote