HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

Players and Owners reach an agreement (MOD: circa 5am ET 1/6/13)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-07-2013, 04:20 AM
  #351
helicecopter
Registered User
 
helicecopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: give me higher shots
Posts: 8,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite View Post
A few items I still am wondering how will end up;

- Waivers one way or two-way?
- Roster limits? (just to confirm)
- Bonus structure
re-entry waivers fully expected to disappear.


I'm interested as well in the roster limits.

This is what we had under the expired CBA:

Quote:
ARTICLE 1
DEFINITIONS

......
.........
"Reserve List" means the list of all Players to whom a Club has rights
including all Unsigned Draft Choices, all Players signed to an SPC (whether or not currently playing in the NHL), and all Players who have signed an SPC but who have subsequently been returned to Juniors.
.......
"Standard Player Contract" or "SPC" means the standard form contract
.........
"A Club may have on its Reserve List, at any one time, not more than 90 Players, which shall include the following:
(a) Not more than 50 Players signed to an SPC and not less than 24 Players
and 3 goalkeepers under an SPC.
Age 18 and age 19 Players who were returned to Juniors, and who have not played 11 NHL Games in one season, shall be exempt from inclusion in the 50 Player limit.
Any Club violating this provision shall be liable to loss of draft choices as determined by the Commissioner.
(b) Unsigned Draft Choices.
i guess it can considered safe the max number of 90 players won't go down?
any word on that?
Chances it was increased instead?

helicecopter is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 08:36 AM
  #352
TaketheCannoli
RIP
 
TaketheCannoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 8,708
vCash: 500
There are so many questions about this cba.

What's required for re-alignment?

Can teams eat partial salary in trades?

What about the Olympics?

What are the rules for the draft lottery? Assuming its weighted, how?

Are there restrictions on payment of revenue sharing?

What are the qualifiers and restrictions for receiving revenue sharing?

TaketheCannoli is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 08:47 AM
  #353
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
There are so many questions about this cba.

What's required for re-alignment?

Can teams eat partial salary in trades?

What about the Olympics?

What are the rules for the draft lottery? Assuming its weighted, how?

Are there restrictions on payment of revenue sharing?

What are the qualifiers and restrictions for receiving revenue sharing?
I hope they don't re-align until a couple more teams are added. The last re-alignment plan was a disaster. And if they expand I hope they do it to markets that are money makers (Canadian markets for example). The last thing the league needs is more franchises dragging down the financials

Levitate is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 08:51 AM
  #354
19Yzerman19
Registered User
 
19Yzerman19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,756
vCash: 1088
No re-alignment for at least 2 seasons

19Yzerman19 is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 08:54 AM
  #355
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
No re-alignment for at least 2 seasons
They said it could be possible for next season.

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 09:34 AM
  #356
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,564
vCash: 232
Early on in negotiations someone reported the NHL had proposed they get sole discretion on re-alignment. Curious to know if this was contained in the final deal.

Really can't see them keeping Winnipeg in the East for another 2 seasons. But you never know. As A Winnipegger I prefer being in the east. Better start times and more interesting opponents imo.

cheswick is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 09:42 AM
  #357
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,470
vCash: 500
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but what happens to all the contracts that are in clear violation of this new CBA? Are they voided or are they restructured?

JmanWingsFan is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 09:44 AM
  #358
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,564
vCash: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but what happens to all the contracts that are in clear violation of this new CBA? Are they voided or are they restructured?
Neither. They are kept as is.

Unclear if the cap penalty formula bandied about is contained in the final CBA. Assuming it is, if a player retires early under such a deal, the team that signed him to the contract would have a cap hit equivalent to the amount they "saved" on the cap by frontloading it, for the remainder of the contract length.

cheswick is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 09:45 AM
  #359
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Does the salary retention for $5m for each trade or $3m for a play mean that a team could trade a high salary player and eat $3m of his salary per year but the team receiving the player still takes the full cap hit? That's the way I understood it but who knows?

Juicy Couturier* is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 09:49 AM
  #360
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
There are so many questions about this cba.

What's required for re-alignment?

Can teams eat partial salary in trades?

What about the Olympics?

What are the rules for the draft lottery? Assuming its weighted, how?

Are there restrictions on payment of revenue sharing?

What are the qualifiers and restrictions for receiving revenue sharing?
From the confirmed links thread.

Salary Retention in Trades
Teams permitted to retain up to $5M in a trade
Max retention of $3M for a single player

__________________
"I changed the whole game, man," Rinaldo said. "Who knows what the game would have been like if I didn't do what I did?" [after illegally running Letang from behind, slamming his head into the glass]
Riptide is online now  
Old
01-07-2013, 09:50 AM
  #361
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I hope they don't re-align until a couple more teams are added. The last re-alignment plan was a disaster. And if they expand I hope they do it to markets that are money makers (Canadian markets for example). The last thing the league needs is more franchises dragging down the financials
They at least need to get Winnipeg out of the SE division. Switch it with Columbus or something.

Riptide is online now  
Old
01-07-2013, 09:52 AM
  #362
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoatesysFlask View Post
Does the salary retention for $5m for each trade or $3m for a play mean that a team could trade a high salary player and eat $3m of his salary per year but the team receiving the player still takes the full cap hit? That's the way I understood it but who knows?
I think it's too unclear at this point. We'll likely have a lot more details over the coming days/weeks.

Riptide is online now  
Old
01-07-2013, 09:53 AM
  #363
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Neither. They are kept as is.

Unclear if the cap penalty formula bandied about is contained in the final CBA. Assuming it is, if a player retires early under such a deal, the team that signed him to the contract would have a cap hit equivalent to the amount they "saved" on the cap by frontloading it, for the remainder of the contract length.
I thought the old CBA said all contracts are subjected to its terms and the terms of future CBAs... That's dumb.

JmanWingsFan is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 09:58 AM
  #364
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
I thought the old CBA said all contracts are subjected to its terms and the terms of future CBAs... That's dumb.
They do. But that still doesn't mean they can void contracts with every CBA. The players (and likely the teams) would never agree to that. They grandfather them in, and continue on. The main thing was putting something in place for those that have retirement contracts should they retire early. They've talked about doing that for a while, so I'll assume something like that is in there.

The main things they wanted out of this was contract limits, lowering the split and tightening the variance. They've accomplished all of that.

Riptide is online now  
Old
01-07-2013, 10:01 AM
  #365
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel
 
haseoke39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
I thought the old CBA said all contracts are subjected to its terms and the terms of future CBAs... That's dumb.
Yeah, but the terms of this CBA are explicitly going to protect them. So it all makes legal sense.

haseoke39 is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 10:04 AM
  #366
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
I thought the old CBA said all contracts are subjected to its terms and the terms of future CBAs... That's dumb.
It's possible that it's written into the new CBA that certain rules from the old CBA will apply for situations like this.

Juicy Couturier* is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 10:26 AM
  #367
trbr86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,898
vCash: 50
According to James Mirtle, the cap recapture formula will exist in this CBA:

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/288314425461575681

__________________
Derek Dorsett fan club.
trbr86 is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 10:29 AM
  #368
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoatesysFlask View Post
Does the salary retention for $5m for each trade or $3m for a play mean that a team could trade a high salary player and eat $3m of his salary per year but the team receiving the player still takes the full cap hit? That's the way I understood it but who knows?
If the salary retention clause follows that of which the owners proposed in the October offer, then the team trading the player away will be on hook for the same proportion of cap hit as they are for actual salary paid.

In other words, if the Rangers trade Brad Richards to Phoenix and agree to retain 30% of his salary per year, the Rangers will take a cap hit per year equal to 30% of Brad Richards AAV and reimburse Phoenix for 30% of Brad Richards remaining actual compensation.

Crease is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 11:15 AM
  #369
abev
HFBoards Sponsor
 
abev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,593
vCash: 500
I have no idea what the answer to this is, but what percentage of players actually will benefit financially from the lockout?

-they lost money by not playing;
-if they just signed a lucrative contract they lost presumably the most $/game salary by not playing;
-older guys who are on their last or next to last contract will never have first half 2012-13 earning power again;
-older guys could have potentially lost a half step not just due to age but by not playing competitively further reducing their career;
-new contracts or players entering 'elite' status will presumably make less

Will players actually make this up elsewhere?

abev is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 11:20 AM
  #370
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,474
vCash: 50
What about bonuses? Teams should be able to carry them over to the next seasons cap again.

digdug41982 is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 11:22 AM
  #371
gmyx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sensville
Country: Canada
Posts: 655
vCash: 500
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Another emerging detail from new CBA: The floor will be at 15% below the midpoint, not exactly $16-million below the cap. A good change.

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/288315357943443456

gmyx is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 11:25 AM
  #372
helicecopter
Registered User
 
helicecopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: give me higher shots
Posts: 8,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmyx View Post
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Another emerging detail from new CBA: The floor will be at 15% below the midpoint, not exactly $16-million below the cap. A good change.

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/288315357943443456
relevant news here.

I was puzzled they apparently kept it as it was, good to see they actually changed that for the better.


Last edited by helicecopter: 01-07-2013 at 11:56 AM.
helicecopter is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 11:40 AM
  #373
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmyx View Post
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Another emerging detail from new CBA: The floor will be at 15% below the midpoint, not exactly $16-million below the cap. A good change.

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/288315357943443456
An absolutely necessity for long term success/health of the league. Am actually optimistic that this CBA might work long term.

Riptide is online now  
Old
01-07-2013, 12:01 PM
  #374
gmyx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sensville
Country: Canada
Posts: 655
vCash: 500
More on calculating the cap:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Here's how salary cap will function in this CBA: It will be 15% above the midpoint, to a minimum of $8-million and maximum of $14-million.
https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/288342593207668737

gmyx is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 12:12 PM
  #375
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,564
vCash: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
I have no idea what the answer to this is, but what percentage of players actually will benefit financially from the lockout?

-they lost money by not playing;
-if they just signed a lucrative contract they lost presumably the most $/game salary by not playing;
-older guys who are on their last or next to last contract will never have first half 2012-13 earning power again;
-older guys could have potentially lost a half step not just due to age but by not playing competitively further reducing their career;
-new contracts or players entering 'elite' status will presumably make less

Will players actually make this up elsewhere?
Your question is a bit unclear. What do you mean benefit from the lockout? This CBA vs the last one? The leagues initial offer vs the one they settled on? The leagues offer to play a whole season vs the final cba?

cheswick is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.