HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Scott04

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
That would be cool if Larsson led all defensemen on our team in points this year. He scored a goal today in Albany, but I didn't see it. I think Zidlicky may get more points than him, but that's about it.

I had the feeling when we re signed Salvador a worst case scenario was the coaches had a short leash with Adam like they did late in the season, and could throw in the A for a little while. That definitely won't happen now.
I look at Salvador more as not being able to afford letting such a stable player go and as protection for injuries. Tallinder missed a long time last year. Larsson had his moments where he was banged up. Volchenkov's style leads to injuries here and there. Having those 7 NHL defensemen we have (not counting Harrold and anyone else in Albany/other young guys) is a nice luxury if you can afford it. How DeBoer will split up the time amongst them (excluding any future injuries which make that a little easier to decide) is beyond me though.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:29 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
I look at Salvador more as not being able to afford letting such a stable player go and as protection for injuries. Tallinder missed a long time last year. Larsson had his moments where he was banged up. Volchenkov's style leads to injuries here and there. Having those 7 NHL defensemen we have (not counting Harrold and anyone else in Albany/other young guys) is a nice luxury if you can afford it. How DeBoer will split up the time amongst them (excluding any future injuries which make that a little easier to decide) is beyond me though.
I'm thinking a trade could be coming. Even if it's for no real forwards. Just to open up another spot on forward would be cool if we're struggling to score. I'm thinking Tallinder would be the odd man out. Very small chance I think Fayne is a possibility. Don't see anyone else going. It could be like how we traded Steckel last year right after camp ended.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:45 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Haha World News Now on ABC just ran about a 40 second piece on the lockout ending! They showed clips of the AC charity game for Sandy back in November. Of course they show a odd man break, and Marty giving up a softy!

Old
01-07-2013, 08:15 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

I'm really not in love with the fact that we'll have Butler in our top #6, most probably, plus Tedenby on our 3rd line.

AHL stats are one thing, playing with NHL caliber players who can fly (wich isn't the case with Butler) is a little worrisome. Has his skating improved since being cut/waived by the Sens last year and is Tedenby stronger on his skates then in years past?

Old
01-07-2013, 08:22 AM
CerebralGenesis

I have dreams of Tarasenko playing with Kovalchuk in a Devils uni. Well, I wouldn't be shocked if I do.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:32 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I have dreams of Tarasenko playing with Kovalchuk in a Devils uni. Well, I wouldn't be shocked if I do.
That's the type of stud prospect we need to draft this year. I'm praying that Valeri Nichushkin drops to us by some type of miracle.

I wouldn't mind it one bit if he stayed 2 or maybe 3 years in the KHL like Tarasenko and other stud Russian prospects have been doing for the past couple of years.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:24 AM
FirmestPiano

Nichuskin doesn't seem like he has the same offensive tools as Tarasenko though? But I agree, we need more prospects who have the potential to be top 6 players. Lately it seems like most of the forwards we draft are bottom 6 guys.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Unknown Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmestPiano View Post
Nichuskin doesn't seem like he has the same offensive tools as Tarasenko though? But I agree, we need more prospects who have the potential to be top 6 players. Lately it seems like most of the forwards we draft are bottom 6 guys.
Mainly because the Devils have gone defense with their high picks and forwards have been late round picks. Guys like Josefson, Tedenby, and Henrique absolutely have top 6 potential whether you believe they will reach it or not. Even Matteau and Boucher could be top 6 players, although it might seem like a bit more of a reach.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Buggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Caller View Post
Mainly because the Devils have gone defense with their high picks and forwards have been late round picks. Guys like Josefson, Tedenby, and Henrique absolutely have top 6 potential whether you believe they will reach it or not. Even Matteau and Boucher could be top 6 players, although it might seem like a bit more of a reach.
I'd say Boucher is top 6 or bust.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:47 AM
FirmestPiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Caller View Post
Can't argue with that. We all know Henrique has the ability, and I believe Josefson has too. Tedenby is still an unknown. I was more referring to the later picks in the draft where mostly Lou and Conte tend to go with the "safe" pick (black, pietila, wohlberg, hoeffel and so on). It's pretty much a lottery in the latter rounds I know, but I'd prefer it if they'd pick a boom or bust (more highly skilled/prospect known for his offense/or however you want to put it) a little more often.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:51 AM
hlaverty06

Matteau will probably be a third liner

Old
01-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Matteau will probably be a third liner
Matteau is too young and raw to project him to be anything, yet.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:39 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

If he improves on his skating, I can see Matteau as a "Brad Marchand" type player. The kid is built like a tank and if he can improve on his foot speed, we'll have a solid prospect on our hands.

If he doesn't improve all that much on his weakest attribute, I think we'll end up with a "Steve Ott" type of player.

Last edited by DEVILS ALL THE WAY*: 01-07-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old
01-07-2013, 11:41 AM
CerebralGenesis

Hey I said Steve ott too. Wonder what his stats were pre-NHL.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Hey I said Steve ott too. Wonder what his stats were pre-NHL.
Significantly better than Matteau's. Ott scored at a 1.3 point-per-game pace in the OHL.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:53 AM
CerebralGenesis

That's interesting...

Old
01-07-2013, 11:57 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

At this point, I just want Matteau to NOT be a bust. If he ends up(at worst) being Steve Ott, so be it.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:59 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
At this point, I just want Matteau to NOT be a bust. If he ends up(at worst) being Steve Ott, so be it.
He'll make the NHL, I'm almost certain of that... I just don't know if it'll be as a top #6 forward or a bottom #6 grinder.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:04 PM
apice3*

You need both to win. I'd rather him be a top 6 forward, like a good Ruutu, but if he becomes a bottom 6 Steve Ott that's not bad either.

I'm just amused at the people who whined about our lack of physical forwards and then threw Lou under the bus when he drafted Matteau. Can't have it both ways.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:11 PM
CerebralGenesis

Because the bottom 6 grinders aren't the hardest people in the world to sign. And you have a looming forfeit incoming.

But this was discussed rather recently.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:12 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
You need both to win. I'd rather him be a top 6 forward, like a good Ruutu, but if he becomes a bottom 6 Steve Ott that's not bad either.

I'm just amused at the people who whined about our lack of physical forwards and then threw Lou under the bus when he drafted Matteau. Can't have it both ways.
I don't think anyone has a problem with Matteau as player. The fact that he's only in his 1st year of junior isn't enough to tag him as a bust or a top line forward.

On my part and I can probably add CG as well, it's the fact that we didn't forfeit the 2nd to last pick that still has me scratching my head, not the actual pick itself... but it's a subject that was brought up a couple of weeks ago and just went away on it's own

Old
01-07-2013, 12:40 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Quote:
When it comes to bringing over players that Kovy played with in Russia, I'd be more than happy with Tikhonov.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I'm thinking a trade could be coming. Even if it's for no real forwards. Just to open up another spot on forward would be cool if we're struggling to score. I'm thinking Tallinder would be the odd man out. Very small chance I think Fayne is a possibility. Don't see anyone else going. It could be like how we traded Steckel last year right after camp ended.
I can definitely see a trade coming. Maybe not right off the bat. Maybe a month or two into it. Never know who will come upon a need for a defenseman, or if our forwards will be lacking. Not sure who would be the odd man out. Can really see that being a product of performance in the first portion of the season. I think Tallinder wouldn't be the odd man out unless his play dictates that. Really think he's a guy they want in the lineup given his style of play. They seemed to really want him in there late in the playoffs last year when he was healthy. I can see them shopping one of Greene or Fayne. Those are the guys I could see another team most likely offering over-value for, and would also be the most replaceable given the type of guys we have down the pipeline.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Significantly better than Matteau's. Ott scored at a 1.3 point-per-game pace in the OHL.
I feel like tidbits like this should be stickied somewhere, because a lot of people don't seem to realize that most third/fourth liners in the NHL were significant scorers in juniors.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
I feel like tidbits like this should be stickied somewhere, because a lot of people don't seem to realize that most third/fourth liners in the NHL were significant scorers in juniors.
Its really amazing how many 3rd/4th liners follow that path. If Steve Bernier can continue the promise he showed last year in such a role, he would be a prime example of how players fall into this spot. Score at a great rate in juniors, don't score at any notable rate in the pros, become a bottom 6, physical forward.

Closed Thread