HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 11:20 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Bust might be a bit extreme...but yeah, it would be a big disappointment. At #10 we should be looking at a 2nd pair guy with upside.
You know what I mean though. Obviously he could end up being a more than serviceable 3rd pairing defenseman, but you don't use #10 picks on those types of players. It is a disappointment in management, scouting, and player development. Like I said a #2 defenseman is really what you should be expecting with a #10 pick, but given the type of player McIlrath is I could live with a #3/#4 defenseman.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:22 PM
Kreider
My name is Nils

vCash: 50
As a 3rd pairing defenseman, he'd still be one of the better 10th overall picks in recent years

01-06-2013, 11:22 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Nice to see you back here DaGoon. I hope you are good
Hey BBKers
all is well .. just back full time into the wrestling biz. I love the taker and hope he has a long nhl career just feel like a lot of people pre judge this kid

Old
01-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Why are the Whale commentators so horrible? They aren't even timing things properly. You can hear them do count-downs to the start of broadcasting after commercials even though the teams are already playing.

They aren't even on par with your average college radio host.
Bite your tongue. Bob Crawford is the man and a total pro.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:14 AM
Theon
Registered Hobbit

Sheesh..been reading the main boards for a while and everyone seems to be ******** on Kreider and writing him off for his sub-par season with CT. Only a few months ago they were saying he was a lock for the Calder.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:38 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDZ View Post
Sheesh..been reading the main boards for a while and everyone seems to be ******** on Kreider and writing him off for his sub-par season with CT. Only a few months ago they were saying he was a lock for the Calder.
Statistics are everything, after all.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:00 AM
3rdlineglory
Subban for Richards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDZ View Post
He replaced Karlsson as the main board whipping boy. But it's ok he deserves it because Ranger fans "overrate" him . Seriously, I've yet to see a post by a Ranger fan pegging him as a 40g scorer like many have claimed that Ranger fans have been doing.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:00 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Kreider is simply not a playmaker. He needs playmaking forwards around him to get the puck to him. CT simply does not have those players. There are no Derek Stepan's down there. There are no callahan's down there to dig a puck out of a corner and get it to him or even cycle the way he does wearing the opposition down. I'm not worried.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:03 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdlineglory View Post
He replaced Karlsson as the main board whipping boy. But it's ok he deserves it because Ranger fans "overrate" him . Seriously, I've yet to see a post by a Ranger fan pegging him as a 40g scorer like many have claimed that Ranger fans have been doing.
30g scorer is more of realistic projection.

My advice ignore the main board. Most fans hate the rangers. Another thing I'll say attributes the quick attack on Kreider is that other fans are jealous of not just him but the developments of girardi, staal, mdz, callahan, stepan, mcdonagh, lundqvist, etc., etc., etc.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:05 AM
3rdlineglory
Subban for Richards?

I also love how his AHL stats somehow altered his ceiling. Apparently, now his potential is Victor Stalberg .

Old
01-07-2013, 02:20 AM
eco's bones

Back to McIlrath--as of now MDZ is a 3rd pairing d-man. His only hope of moving into the top 4 is if either Staal or McDonagh get hurt or he switches to the right side. I don't see MDZ switching to the other side.

McIlrath's competition as of now are Girardi, Stralman, Eminger, Bickel. When Dylan's developed more he should be able to shoot past at the least Eminger and Bickel. As for Stralman--I liked the way he played last year but I don't see him as a long term Ranger. Organizationally speaking the path is open for McIlrath to move into a slot within the next couple years. All he has to do is continue to improve his game.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:22 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Berry Crunch View Post
Statistics are everything, after all.

Every here pretends like his only problem is stats. The funny thing is that all these comments are from people who don't watch Kreider either. How many people who've left comments like, "if you were actually watching Kreider, you'd know better" have seen him this year even once?

Your opinion is based on the fact that the Rangers needed depth in last playoffs and he was able to keep up when the only assignment given to him was to skate fast. That really was something that the team told him was his only responsibility - skate fast, stretch the defense, don't worry about anything else.

All his mistakes were forgiven because he was just days out of college. All his half-decent plays were cause for mass celebration, again because he was just days out of college. But the same type of play from Fred Sjostrom would not have been seen as anything because Sjo was not a rookie. That's not unfair, but let's keep in mind that it wasn't as if he came in and played like Crosby.

Then everyone who never watches Hartford went on to say that all the reports about Kreider struggling are just people paying attention to stats. All information coming out of the AHL about his subpar play is just that - not watching, paying attention to stats.

So let me quote you the Whale TV color commentator whose job it is to watch Kreider play: "He did a good job last year for the Rangers in the playoffs where his only responsibility was to skate and keep up with the team, but now he's really struggling with the additional responsibility he's been given in Hartford."

But yeah, maybe the Whale commentator isn't watching games either.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Pizza

That Clark guy....WTF does he know?

Pretty much what all these discussions boil down to. We shall see.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:42 AM
egelband

liked mcilrath sticking up for his teammate. the rangers need that. now more than ever they're targets. and they might be perceived as a somewhat soft team. i don't mean that they're pansies, but the rangers toughness is in taking punishment. not in doling it out. i appreciate how the rangers play, don't get me wrong. they play the game right. but it would be nice to see an opponent pay for running lundqvist. maybe a guy like chris neil or the guy on washington might think twice about head hunting. oh yeah...justice.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:47 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Greenville traded Bryan Hince, their other backup goalie. Hopefully that means that Scott Stajcer gets a few more starts, since he only has 6 to this point.

It's just pain.
Old
01-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
That Clark guy....WTF does he know?

Pretty much what all these discussions boil down to. We shall see.

Kreider can still have a great career, and this is why I voted to rank him our #1 prospect just this morning. This, however, does not preclude me from saying that he has not done well in Hartford.

Let me put it this way: nobody who actually watches him thinks he's played well in Hartford. Nobody.

The argument that "if you were only watching Kreider" actually works in the other direction than how people are making it. People pay attention to his size and remember that he skates well, and assume that he's doing well even though if they watched him, they'd know he hasn't.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
liked mcilrath sticking up for his teammate. the rangers need that. now more than ever they're targets. and they might be perceived as a somewhat soft team. i don't mean that they're pansies, but the rangers toughness is in taking punishment. not in doling it out. i appreciate how the rangers play, don't get me wrong. they play the game right. but it would be nice to see an opponent pay for running lundqvist. maybe a guy like chris neil or the guy on washington might think twice about head hunting. oh yeah...justice.

My feeling is that the fact that the Whale gave up only 2 goals in 3 games this weekend is due in large part to McIlrath. I remember watching one game right before he came in and we gave up 4 goals, all of them garbage goals in the crease because the other team felt like it could push around Talbot and just mass-tackle him in the crease. Every goal that game (and in many other games) looked like he was being tackled by 2-3 linebackers.

Then McIlrath arrived and suddenly I saw a lot less of this. If McIlrath can clear the crease and push anyone for pushing around our goalies, it will be a huge help to the team. Talbot is one of the better goalies in the AHL, but getting physically abused (while playing 14 games straight) cannot help your ability to stop shots.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Kreider is going to continue to be snubbed by most people until he can solidify himself as a viable NHL scoring forward. He has plenty of holes in his game, and the idea of an "elite complimentary player" doesn't really hold much water for many people. He's just a guy that thrives when the talent around him improves. Better linemates at BC translated to his first PPG season. Better linemates at the WJC translated into a breakout performance. It's been his MO since he was drafted, but many folks insist that it's a major flaw in his game and there's cause for "concern" despite the fact that he's just a kid who is still developing.

Kreider has made habit of silencing his critics and I see no reason that he won't continue to do so as he grows as a player. Everyone has their "fast guy who never made it" comparison that they like to throw in your face when Kreider's name comes up, but it's just noise. "Let me tell you how the 18 games in the NHL meant squat, it's the 30 games in the AHL that are the real measuring stick!"

Is he biding his time in the AHL? Is he just working on other facets of the game? Is he snake-bitten? Is he a bust? Nothing can be answered after 30 pro games. Nothing. If we used this sample size as the measuring stick, Justin Schultz would be the next Bobby Orr. Let the kid develop for more than a third of a season for crying out loud.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:01 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdlineglory View Post
I also love how his AHL stats somehow altered his ceiling. Apparently, now his potential is Victor Stalberg .
On a side note....

I'd loooove to have Viktor Stalberg. I love his game and his speed. Just saying.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Greenville traded Bryan Hince, their other backup goalie. Hopefully that means that Scott Stajcer gets a few more starts, since he only has 6 to this point.

Hince only played in 3 games, so he wasn't exactly getting in the way. Nathan Lieuwen remains the clear #1 goalie. Of the 5 goalies who played for the Warriors this year, Stajcer has the worst GAA and SV%, by far in both categories.

I don't see him getting out of the ECHL any time soon.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:12 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Hince only played in 3 games, so he wasn't exactly getting in the way. Nathan Lieuwen remains the clear #1 goalie. Of the 5 goalies who played for the Warriors this year, Stajcer has the worst GAA and SV%, by far in both categories.

I don't see him getting out of the ECHL any time soon.
I know, I'm just having a slow day at work and felt compelled to talk about below-marginal prospects and our ECHL team that no one here cares about.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:21 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
I don't care what people say or expect this guy to be some super defenseman. I LOVE this kid. He's got more balls than the entire Ranger team combined. He will make the NHL even as a third pair D and he will make the Rangers fearsome and protect that crease with fire and Henrik will love him for it and so will a lot of the brown noses here who are hockey experts.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'd like to see McIlrath do a little less fighting for the sake of fighting. I like how he handled the Bourque hit, but squaring off with guys after the faceoff isn't what I want to see.
I look at this as McIlrath trying to build a reputation and establish himself. At that point - he won't have to fight as much. Who in their right mind wants to fight Lucic right now? Everyone knows (especially Komisarek) he's a monster so he doesn't have to do it as often. I doubt Tortorella is going to stand by and let him fight it out every chance he gets.

If McIlrath becomes a good 2nd pairing defenseman then people are going to LOVE this guy. He could potentially be a great asset - especially in this division...

Old
01-07-2013, 02:14 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I know (or certainly hope) noone is rooting against McIlrath.

If he can be a monster of a physical presence and play a solid game in his own end I know everyone will love him. There is no doubt about his ability to fight, intimidate, and clear the crease (attributes that are definitely valuable).

His ability to defend and clear the zone in his own end will be what makes or breaks his career, and IMO that still remains to be seen. He is clearly a better skater than Bickel or even most 3rd pairing guys so he's got a big edge there; but that alone is not enough to be a good dman.

01-07-2013, 02:27 PM
NYR Viper

IMO McIlrath will be just fine. He has a high hockey IQ and a very good work ethic. There will always be flashier players, but flashy players are not always as effective. He will most likely turn into someone any team in the league would love to have with his style of play.

Closed Thread