HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 9.0 - #Goldchenyuk Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 10:58 AM
NotProkofievian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
2 things:

- Can Gally's skating allow him to keep up with those 2 very fast skaters at this stage? I have doubts about it.

- Is it fair to ask a rookie to be the guy who has the 'puck retrieval role' on a line? I say no. And if he plays with those 2, he'll be that guy since they are so small.
I don't think Gally will ever compliment those two styles. Both those players aren't exactly the most offensively creative. "SKATE FAST, SHOOT PUCK!" But...Brian...don't you think you might want to zig, or zag, or pass the puck or..."NO, SKATE FAST, SHOOT PUCK HARD!" Alrighty then.

Think he'll work better with Eller or DD.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:08 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Gally on Pleks wing makes too much sense. I think they would have instant chemistry. Been a while since Pleks had a guy of his skill level to play with, remember the sick plays he used to make with Kovalev and AK back in the day? And Pleks would be a great vet for Gally to learn from.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:14 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Gally on Pleks wing makes too much sense. I think they would have instant chemistry. Been a while since Pleks had a guy of his skill level to play with, remember the sick plays he used to make with Kovalev and AK back in the day? And Pleks would be a great vet for Gally to learn from.
It doesn't make any sense, Plekanec will be playing top opposition, it would bad for Gally to do so.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
It doesn't make any sense, Plekanec will be playing top opposition, it would bad for Gally to do so.
Or, it could be the perfect time to start grooming Eller into a reliable two-way player so that he can turn Plekanec into an expendable asset within the next couple seasons.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
This too.

The more I think about it, the more I can't find a fit for him on this roster unless they break up the Desharnais line. Makes no sense to keep him up to play 3rd line or less. I'm already seeing way too many suggestions he should play with Eller around here, it doesn't make sense to keep Alex up to play 12-14 minutes a game.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Slashers98

Montreal Canadiens: Should Alex Galchenyuk play in the NHL this season? http://thehoc

Montreal Canadiens: Should Alex Galchenyuk play in the NHL this season? http://thehockeywriters.com/montreal...l-this-season/

Old
01-07-2013, 11:43 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
This too.

The more I think about it, the more I can't find a fit for him on this roster unless they break up the Desharnais line. Makes no sense to keep him up to play 3rd line or less. I'm already seeing way too many suggestions he should play with Eller around here, it doesn't make sense to keep Alex up to play 12-14 minutes a game.
I don't see anything wrong with:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Bourque
Moen-Eller-Gionta
Prust-White-Armstrong

Old
01-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Moen-Eller-Gionta
Prust-White-Armstrong
The biggest issue I have is that Plekanec usually gets tough defensive matchups, don't really want to break in an 18 year old playing head to head against Malkin Crosby Spezza Ovechkin Richards etc etc

Old
01-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Still undecided if I want Gally part of this team (for this year). I'm sure he would learn a ton but if playing top 6 minutes and not producing or working out well I just hope it wouldn't crush the kid. If our lineup is fully healthy to start the year, I would honestly leave him in Sarnia just for the rest of this season. If he wins his position in camp big time and can contribute and Therrien can keep him with Pleks and not yo yo him around, then I guess i'm fine with it

Old
01-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The biggest issue I have is that Plekanec usually gets tough defensive matchups, don't really want to break in an 18 year old playing head to head against Malkin Crosby Spezza Ovechkin Richards etc etc
Well the good thing is that Gally is at least very responsible defensively

Old
01-07-2013, 11:50 AM
haburger

Quote:

Moen-Eller-Gionta
Prust-White-Armstrong
scott gomez says hi !

Old
01-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
scott gomez says hi !
From the pressbox.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Gally11

Interesting quote from Friedman's 30 thoughts talking about who looked good at WJs

Quote:
27. Draftees who looked good: Alex Galchenyuk (Montreal) -- "Stud." (Every NHL executive loves that word.) Mikhail Grigorenko (Buffalo). Joel Armia (Buffalo): "Most pure sniper I've seen in awhile... makes goalies look silly with release and reach... when motivated he was like man with boys." Yaroslav Kosov (Florida): "Played both ends of rink and didn't give up. Looks like a smart pick." Tomas Hertl (San Jose): "gained a step. Excellent vision, hard to contain." Got mixed reviews on Filip Forsberg (Washington).

Seems like HF are the only ones that had a problem with Galchenyuk's tournament lol

Old
01-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
scott gomez says hi !
Why do people think this is funny? Player X "says hi"? It's incredibly stupid.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
Interesting quote from Friedman's 30 thoughts talking about who looked good at WJs

Seems like HF are the only ones that had a problem with Galchenyuk's tournament lol
That's why we're here commenting on hockey boards and not actually scouting players...

Old
01-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:

well i coulda told you that!!

Old
01-07-2013, 02:31 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
It depends on what your expectations are. There's a difference between evaluating a player's prospect potential - his fundamental skills, strengths, weaknesses as a player - and then evaluating how effectively he employed them at the WJC vs. a subjective expectation of what he might have done with them instead.

Everybody knows Galchenyuk is a "stud". It's pointless to say it. Big surprise there.

He didn't stand out at the WJC for his impact on the game outcomes, however, he wasn't one of the top 3 players on his team, nor a difference maker in any single game. What would your expectation be in that respect? I would have liked to see him be more of a factor than he was. Has no bearing on his overall prospect evaluation, though. There were a host of elements in play. His utilization and linemates certainly included. His age and experience level. Throw it all together. He's still a stud. I was still left a little disappointed that he didn't do more at the WJC. No biggie either way. Doesn't mean we're dumb posters at HFBoards because of all that.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

It's been mentionned before, but I really like success following a guy around. Being a contributor on a team that wins Gold at the WJC the year after coming in 7th place has to be worth something.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:26 PM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

Quote:

Even on HF, there aren't many posters complaining about his performance. Most posters are happy with how he was throughout the tournament and even happier that he chose the USA over Russia.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:46 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The way my lines are set up, Moen-Eller-Gionta would be the checking line, while the Plekanecs line would be a two way line...

Old
01-07-2013, 04:10 PM
domdo345

Really didn't get the feel he would start the season with us during the press conference. Might only be me, but that's what I felt. He's in a twilight zone where he's clearly too good in the OHL to maximize his development, but the NHL might be too big of a step. I have faith in MT and Bergy that the right choice will be made.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
Really didn't get the feel he would start the season with us during the press conference. Might only be me, but that's what I felt. He's in a twilight zone where he's clearly too good in the OHL to maximize his development, but the NHL might be too big of a step. I have faith in MT and Bergy that the right choice will be made.
This. And that the "wrong choice" really doesn't hurt anything either. So no real worries either way.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
And I don't see the rush of getting him to the NHL either. It's a short season, no need of burning a year of his entry level deal. Next season, he'll be ready and prepared, and he'll have time to grow with the team, with less pressure.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Dharvey33

I'll let him stay in the ohl for as long as the habs are contenders but if we are out of the playoffs picture early i would bring him to play some big minutes and get ready for next year.

I expect Eller to play good this year so if they still want to bring him Eller has enough skills to feed galchenyuk or the other way around actually i believe those two are a good fit too big bodys responsible in their end zones and can score and pass the puck. Gally as more skills but it could be a good starting point for him. Stamkos had a first rough year and look what he is now. I'm not scared for him at all.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Everybody recognizes Gally's talent and his ability to be a great player in the NHL. But nobody mentions how "great" his tournament was 'cause it wasn't. Whether you think it's his fault or not.

Closed Thread