HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2012 - 2013 lines

Old
01-07-2013, 06:38 AM
NyIsles19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Does he have NHL size? Can he play without getting hurt badly or permanently? Can he continue to grow as a player at his size and readiness in the NHL or would he better suited to wait, continue to play in juniors for our sake and make the AHL team next year where we can call him up when he's able to play at that level?
Does anyone know what his current Height/Weight is ?

NyIsles19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:55 AM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 0
At this point I think Joensuu is better than Ullstrom. Jesse really developed into a goalscoring powerforward overseas and it wouldn't suprise me if he earned a spot on the third line and became a Viktor Stalberg type player capable of putting up 20 goals; over the course of an 82 game season.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:58 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
At this point I think Joensuu is better than Ullstrom. Jesse really developed into a goalscoring powerforward overseas and it wouldn't suprise me if he earned a spot on the third line and became a Viktor Stalberg type player capable of putting up 20 goals; over the course of an 82 game season.
Is Joensuu healthy again and is he going to come back over this side of the pond?

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:08 AM
kuwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Is Joensuu healthy again and is he going to come back over this side of the pond?
Yeah, he played last few games...had a secondary assist on friday...

kuwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Mattiboy13

Can someone start a training camp thread? For all news from this point until the season starts???

Mattiboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:21 AM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

Quote:
He is healthy and is under contract with us with an out clause to go back to Finland if he does not make the Isles' roster.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattiboy13 View Post
Can someone start a training camp thread? For all news from this point until the season starts???
I will start one.

01-07-2013, 12:08 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyIsles19 View Post
Does anyone know what his current Height/Weight is ?
6'1" 192 lbs. Almost the exact same size as Bailey , MacDonald and Nielsen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Does he have NHL size? Can he play without getting hurt badly or permanently? Can he continue to grow as a player at his size and readiness in the NHL or would he better suited to wait, continue to play in juniors for our sake and make the AHL team next year where we can call him up when he's able to play at that level?

Must we do this to every promising kid?
Ill start questio by question.
Yes, See above. Anyone can get hurt at any time even big guys. Yes

Everyone here must also remeber that Niagra is more than likely is not going to make the OHL playoffs this year due to ther lose of Hamilton, Richie and possibly STrome. It is also not very likely that he is Traded by the Jan 10th Trade deadline because his chance to make the Islanders. So which is a better situation?

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Dan-o16

My predictions:

Moulson-Tavares-Okposo
Bailey-Strome-Boyes
Grabner-Nielsen-Niederreiter
Martin-Reasoner-Joensuu
Boulton

Streit-Hamonic
Visnovsky-MacDonald
Donovan-Carkner
Wishart

Nabokov
Poulin

I see the right side being the source of agita for this team. I think our hand is essentially forced. Basically, either Strome is going to be at center, or Bailey is back playing center. Having Reasoner or Cizikas centering a third line, where 3 lines will be rolled at even strength, would be a big mistake.

It's going to be a rough year unless we get help at RW. Of those players, the only one I feel good about is Okposo.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:05 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
My predictions:

Moulson-Tavares-Okposo
Bailey-Strome-Boyes
Martin-Reasoner-Joensuu
Boulton

Streit-Hamonic
Visnovsky-MacDonald
Donovan-Carkner
Wishart

Nabokov
Poulin

I see the right side being the source of agita for this team. I think our hand is essentially forced. Basically, either Strome is going to be at center, or Bailey is back playing center. Having Reasoner or Cizikas centering a third line, where 3 lines will be rolled at even strength, would be a big mistake.

It's going to be a rough year unless we get help at RW. Of those players, the only one I feel good about is Okposo.

Cheers,

Dan-o
I don't see the Isles bringing Nino up unless it is for a top-6 role. I think we will see Ullstrom called up for the bottom-6 before Nino.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:31 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I don't see the Isles bringing Nino up unless it is for a top-6 role. I think we will see Ullstrom called up for the bottom-6 before Nino.
I'd be fine with Nino on the 3rd line with Nielsen and Grabner since I expect that line to get some significant ice time, and since both of those guys have offensive ability. If Boyes ends up struggling on the top line I'd swap the two to see if Nino can gain some chemistry there.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:36 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyIsles19 View Post
Moulson-JT-Boyes(Strome)
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Grabner-Cizikas-Ullstrom(Boyes)
Martin-Reasoner-Boulton/Joenssuu

Streit-Macdonald
Hamonic-Visnosky
Carkner-Donavon/ness

For me this is how i see our opening lineup starting out most likely. Although you have to assume the islanders will give strome the 9 games and anything less than superb play i want him back at juniors. Also i only want him up if he is getting top 6 minutes so what do you guys think even if it was just for this year to ease him into the NHL keep him on JT wing considering how Boyes isn't nearly as talented.

Also Same goes for Nino, unless he truly earns a spot on the team let his confidence soar in a potential Sound Tiger playoff run being the go to guy. 1 question i do have regarding him is can nino play the RW? if so i would even consider placing him with JT in regards to what i said about strome.

As far as our 6th defense spot i would really rather bring a capable FA but not quite sure who id want and i really just see Snow letting a few guys in BP fight for it.
And this is what I wanted for Nino last year and want this year: a valuable life lesson to implant and remain in his head and heart. Success. Something he can bring to the lineup when he is ready. Something that can shape the foundation of his career, a little bit moreso than bad passing with Reasoner and skating with his head down.

No Nino this year.....the gain is far greater if Nino can lead and shine for the AHL team than if he can show he is NHL ready for once this year. Not worth it in the long run.

I choose exceptional over ready.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:56 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
I see the right side being the source of agita for this team.
great phrase.
---

Isles used Bailey at RW last year as well as Grabner.
Also Boyes can/has played a lot of centre (though I think he's better suited to RW)
Brock Nelson was playing centre in BP all year, before he got hurt. Played LW in his last year in the NCAA but a C the year before that (as I recall)

They have options without Strome.

I suspect they'll go something like this:

Moulson Tavares Okposo
Joensuu Boyes Bailey
Martin Nielsen Grabner
Boulton/Reasoner/Cizikas/Ullstrom

I don't expect Strome to make the team (except maybe a few games in the beginning, but unlikely in a 48 game season I'd think)

I don't expect Nino or anyone else to make the NHL team either, except Ullstrom or Cizikas or both.

As excited as we are to have hockey, let's not kid ourselves, this is still a really bad hockey team with a lot of question marks. This is a bad forward crop and it's the strength of the team compared to defense and goaltending!

In order to be remotely close to a playoff spot the team will need:
- Nabokov to play at least as well as last year.
- Hamonic to be healthy
- Visnovsky to come to camp, to start
- Boyes needs to take his PAP injections
- Grabner needs to regain his early 2011 form
- MAYBE one of Strome/Nino/Nelson can step in and be our Jeff Skinner!
- MAYBE one of deHaan (oops), Donovan, Reinhart can step in and be our Erik Karlsson (okay, maybe reaching with that one)!

They need one more solid defenseman and a lot of luck in the health dept.

The team's success/failure sits in these wildcard elements. Everyone else will be pretty consistent in what they'll deliver (IMO).

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:06 PM
KH1

Quote:
My predictions:

Moulson-Tavares-Okposo
Bailey-Strome-Boyes
Martin-Reasoner-Joensuu
Boulton

Streit-Hamonic
Visnovsky-MacDonald
Donovan-Carkner
Wishart

Nabokov
Poulin

Cheers,

Dan-o
That defense is brutal, especially if Hamonic misses any extended time with his concussion.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:21 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Now no Visnovsky. Wonderful...

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Moulson Tavares Okposo
Joensuu Boyes Bailey
Martin Nielsen Grabner
That's the "We'll Tank till Brooklyn" lineup. The Boyes line would have to be the most sheltered line in the NHL. Really bad.

I'd like to see Strome get a real shot playing significant minutes for 5-9 games, let his play determine whether he sticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1
That defense is brutal, especially if Hamonic misses any extended time with his concussion.
No kidding. Hello waivers.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:25 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Alright, we need a new top-4 d-man now. Unbelievable.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:53 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

Quote:
Alright, we need a new top-4 d-man now. Unbelievable.
Well, there is always Seth Jones.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:33 PM
steveat

We have these same conversations all the time.

Last year is was Nino and this year it is Strome. Remember when half of us (me included) was saying he needs another year and the other half was saying "he doesn't have anything more to prove in the WHL". SAME DAMN THING!

Strome's development should take a little longer. He is no 1st overall pick..a high one, but not a Tavares. Even 1st overalls need dev time.

I think Strome is a good year away from 3 line, possibly second line duties at the NHL level.

As far as Boyes...I think he will be on the first unit. Tavares makes people around him better...heck..look what he did to PA....PA will NEVER be a 40 goal scorer (at least I don't think so)...At least Boyes did it once without JT.

As far as Nino is concerned...the kid has size and skill...he's just one of those players that cannot produce unless he has a lot of icetime. I agree with the previous poster...he shouldn't come up unless he can be given a top 6 role. I think eventually a Bailey - Strome - Nino line would kick some serious ass.

Do we know who is going to Training camp? Is Kitchton going..would love to see 9 games out of this kid.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:30 PM
collegehockeyguy

any idea if ness will likely start the nhl season with the islanders?

collegehockeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:51 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
He doesn't have anywhere near the speed that Stalberg has. But I do agree that Joensuu could end up surprising us in a 3rd line role with a ~15 goal pace.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:14 AM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegehockeyguy View Post
any idea if ness will likely start the nhl season with the islanders?
If visnovsky doesn't come to the island, I think that either snow will make a trade or he will just run 2 rookies in the lineup. Donovan, ness, wishart and even Reinhart unfortunately will be the options for the islanders

Whatsup Seth?

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
If visnovsky doesn't come to the island, I think that either snow will make a trade or he will just run 2 rookies in the lineup. Donovan, ness, wishart and even Reinhart unfortunately will be the options for the islanders

Whatsup Seth?
The Isles called Visnovsky and told him to stage this whole thing. It's all a ploy to get Seth in preparation for the move to Brooklyn where we throw $$$ at Patrick Kane and Mike Green in the off season and go on to trounce all over the Atlantic.

right....?

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:51 AM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home

Judging by who is left, I wouldn't mind seeing Colin White or Chris Campoli if we end up that desperate for d-man stopgaps. I don't want any propsect making the team unless he has earned a spot.

Also, looking at the forwards, you could definitely sign one of those old guys and put them in the lineup to let a kid develop. Granted it would be a typical Islander vet, but at least a guy who shouldn't make the team wouldn't be thrust into that role.

The more I talk about it, the more I'm preparing myself for a long(shorter than usual) season.

nyiguy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:57 AM
goal1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
great phrase.
---

Isles used Bailey at RW last year as well as Grabner.
Also Boyes can/has played a lot of centre (though I think he's better suited to RW)
Brock Nelson was playing centre in BP all year, before he got hurt. Played LW in his last year in the NCAA but a C the year before that (as I recall)

They have options without Strome.

I suspect they'll go something like this:

Moulson Tavares Okposo
Joensuu Boyes Bailey
Martin Nielsen Grabner

I don't expect Strome to make the team (except maybe a few games in the beginning, but unlikely in a 48 game season I'd think)

I don't expect Nino or anyone else to make the NHL team either, except Ullstrom or Cizikas or both.

As excited as we are to have hockey, let's not kid ourselves, this is still a really bad hockey team with a lot of question marks. This is a bad forward crop and it's the strength of the team compared to defense and goaltending!

In order to be remotely close to a playoff spot the team will need:
- Nabokov to play at least as well as last year.
- Hamonic to be healthy
- Visnovsky to come to camp, to start
- Boyes needs to take his PAP injections
- Grabner needs to regain his early 2011 form
- MAYBE one of Strome/Nino/Nelson can step in and be our Jeff Skinner!
- MAYBE one of deHaan (oops), Donovan, Reinhart can step in and be our Erik Karlsson (okay, maybe reaching with that one)!

They need one more solid defenseman and a lot of luck in the health dept.

The team's success/failure sits in these wildcard elements. Everyone else will be pretty consistent in what they'll deliver (IMO).

Joensuu on the 2nd line? How much has he improved since his last stint with the Isles?

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote