Notices

The Official Jaromir Jagr Discussion Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 08:13 PM
livewell68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
livewell68, first I'd like to say those are excellent points, and I'd add that both his linemates will likely be close to game shape as well.

Jamie Benn hasn't played in a few weeks, but he played enough in Germany. Loui Eriksson is still playing now.

However, because of the shorter season and the fact Jagr has never played in the West, I don't know that I believe he can be an Art Ross candidate. For one thing, think about him many divisional games Dallas will be playing. You're probably talking about 10 to 14 games against PHX and LA. He's going to be playing some very solid, very physical defensive teams in Dallas.
I'm not comparing this 40 year old version of Jagr to the 34 year old version who saw him pot 123 Pts when the last lockout ended, but Jagr usually thrives against big, solid and physical defensive minded teams. It's his puck possession game that allows him to do so. Back in 2005-06 when still with the Rangers, he played against New Jersey and Philadelphia both 8 times each (both big, strong physical teams) and Jagr feasted on them. Sure he was 6 years younger, but he was also slower and heavier.

I think part of reason why the NHL and NHLPA seem close to signing a deal as early as tonight or tomorrow is because they know they have screwed up bad with the fans. I think what they do is they sign the deal now and work for the next week on things to do to open up the game again the way they did in 2005-06 which they think would make the entertainment level on the ice a bit better. With the game more open, and hopefully with officiating cramping down on obstructions again, this will benefit Jagr probably more than most players in the NHL. He's always been amazing 5-on-5 but he's also one of the greatest players on the powerplay and that's where he could do a lot of damage and in turn help the Dallas powerplay.

I'm not betting on him winning the Art Ross either, but in Jagr's case, where you're in such great shape and you already have all world skills, even at age 40 and with a 48 game season, anything can happen.

Knock on wood, if he remains healthy for the entire season, I say he's much closer to the top 10-5 scoring than he is to being under PPG.

There is one thing I'm willing to bet on and that's that he will be far better than he was last season including how he played the first 40 games when he was still a PPG player.

Last edited by livewell68: 01-05-2013 at 08:20 PM.
livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:19 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

He's a dark horse to finish top 10 (maybe even top 5), but not the Art Ross. Whitney finished 11th playing in Phoenix's system (although Ribs flourished under Tippett too, and he seems to like players like them), and I think the two of them are getting pretty underrated, but at the same time, we can't expect too much. ~60 point pace (too lazy to do the math) would be amazing from both of them.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:35 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
He's a dark horse to finish top 10 (maybe even top 5), but not the Art Ross. Whitney finished 11th playing in Phoenix's system (although Ribs flourished under Tippett too, and he seems to like players like them), and I think the two of them are getting pretty underrated, but at the same time, we can't expect too much. ~60 point pace (too lazy to do the math) would be amazing from both of them.
I just want the NHL to drop the darn puck is all. I think it will be a very interesting and exciting season at the least.

I'm a huge Jagr fan and I will admit that I sometimes tend to allow my bias cloud my judgement and to be honest I don't think he will win the Art Ross, but knowing what kind of player he is, I wouldn't put it past him.

I have watched a few of the Czech games in streaming and I will say he looks amazing this year even if it's the Czech league. He looks confident and as opposed to how he was for the last 4 years, including his time in Russia, the Olympics, the World Championships and his time with the Flyers where he seemed content to defer to other players and not want the spotlight as much, he now seems to embrace his star status and his leader status. He wants the puck and he wants to make the plays to lead to wins. He's confident enough to pull off those "Jagr like stick moves" and his shot velocity and accuracy has been close to the one that saw him score 54 goals way back in 2005-06. In fact for a few years he's been quoted as saying that he no longer can challenge for the Art Ross and that he is no longer a star (he was quoted as saying this many times in Russia) but his attitude seems to have changed. It seems the lockouts seem to always energize Jagr more than most. During the 1994-95 short season season following a lockout, Jagr won his first Art Ross with 70 Pts in 48 games. The last time there was a lockout, Jagr came out of the gate and finished 2nd in league scoring and captured along the way his 3rd Pearson award. Can we see a similar result following this lockout? I think for one thing, playing in the same division as Selanne and having that rivalry and race to the European scoring crown going will help to motivate Jagr. He still has a lot of pride and if one thing, he will want to outscore Selanne and I think Selanne still has a lot of game left in him as well. Jagr was bitterly disappointed with his play down the stretch last season and he feels that was the reason why the Flyers decided to move in a different direction. He will have something left to prove.

We shall just wait and see.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Czech Your Math

He would need to stay healthy, find immediate chemistry with his linemates, and have some luck go his way to contend for the Ross again. I think a top 10 finish would be a more realistic goal, but mainly expect him to be ~PPG player and help Dallas make the playoffs.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:47 AM
livewell68

I knew there would be a deal when I woke up this morning. Yes!!!

With a tentative deal now reached, does this mean Jagr will not play in today's game for Kladno? Too bad he won't be challenging for the Czech scoring title anymore.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Jeez
Jay Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
I knew there would be a deal when I woke up this morning. Yes!!!

With a tentative deal now reached, does this mean Jagr will not play in today's game for Kladno? Too bad he won't be challenging for the Czech scoring title anymore.
You're right. JJ will not play today.

Jeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:10 AM
jagrgodr

YAYA! I think Jagr will not be playing today, from czech website:

Play will not star Jaromir Jagr, who together with Jiri Tlusty decided the evening game against Plzen nenaskočit. Jiri Hudler, who plays for Trinec anymore for iSport.cz also admitted that he will not play. Plekanec definitely misses the match because artists worked their magic with an injury.

http://www.hokej.cz/dohodnuto-sezona...tivni-smlouve/

How sad. I wanted to watch one more game with Jagr as the leader of the team, oh well. Jagr also called that the lockout would not end until around this time, citing that the owners are losing money when basketball and football season is in full swing.

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:54 AM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks for the info that he will not play today...

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:59 AM
jagrgodr

The official kladno website has been very slow over the holiday, and as of the last few days it's been down for me.

MAYBE JAGR IS PLAYING TODAY!?!?!?!

Quote:
Pilsen spirited welcome the 37th wheels hockey league on their ice Kladno, which can still enjoy the presence of one of the brightest stars of the Czech hockey, Jaromir Jagr. His team, however, hit on an opponent who played in great shape, home Skoda Plzen is currently holding a series of seven victories in a row!
http://online.hokej.cz/detail.php?se...d_zapasu=75130

Old
01-06-2013, 11:23 AM
jagrgodr

He will not be playing:

It's confirmed - Jaromir Jagr Jiri Tlusty not even in the official minutes of the game, and certainly so in today's game does not start.

http://www.onlajny.com/match/index/id/47024

GG jagr in Kladno. What an amazing year. I'm glad i got my Jagr Kladno jersey in the mail.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:34 PM
BigG44

Thank you for posting that video. I'm going to miss all the updates from the dedicated Jagr fans.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Quote:
Thank you for posting that video. I'm going to miss all the updates from the dedicated Jagr fans.
Here's hoping they can join us in the upcoming GDT's!

01-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

can't wait to see Jagr play in a Dallas uniform!

Nemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:36 PM
livewell68

I read an Interview with Jagr where he said he might play on Tuesday. Is this true?

It's odd that he would sit out today's game but play on Tuesday?

Old
01-06-2013, 07:55 PM
jagrgodr

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
I read an Interview with Jagr where he said he might play on Tuesday. Is this true?

It's odd that he would sit out today's game but play on Tuesday?
Yeah i'm reading that too. I think he wants to give the fans one last home game, for the fans and to help them make the playoffs. You know how much Jagr loves that team and he could not be back there for awhile.

http://www.hokej.cz/cz/tipsport-extr...oti-litvinovu/

"When you know the details, I will try to play on Tuesday against Litvinov," said Jagr, who now walk from Pilsen. "I was told that I did not play, so I played it. I did not violate any agreement., But if possible, I would like to play on Tuesday. Until you find all information and see," said two-time winner Stanley Cup.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:08 PM
livewell68

I don't think he will play. He sat out today's game so I see him doing the same thing next game. In fact I see him being in Dallas mid-week.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66

I am a huge Jagr fan, but any talk of him challenging for the Art Ross is completely out of hand - we have Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Ovechkin and Stamkos in their prime years!

I just hope Dallas fans will not have unrealistic expectations because of the incredible hype in this thread

Lesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66

Why an old Koho jersey?

Old
01-07-2013, 09:25 AM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
Why an old Koho jersey?

You've been outta the loop dude

From what I remember, it appeared that he was at some sort of event, perhaps an autograph signing. A fan brought that and he put it on. He later put a pic of him in a real/current Dallas jersey on his facebook page.

I have a current jersey with Jagr 68 on it. Glad that it will be "official" now, now that he will actually get to play for the team. But, I MUCH, MUCH prefer the older one in the photo.

I considered trying to get an older one and putting Jagr on it, but since he wasn't playing for the team during those years (of that jersey), I decided not to

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:45 AM
aisforaaron83

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post

From what I remember, it appeared that he was at some sort of event, perhaps an autograph signing. A fan brought that and he put it on. He later put a pic of him in a real/current Dallas jersey on his facebook page.

I have a current jersey with Jagr 68 on it. Glad that it will be "official" now, now that he will actually get to play for the team. But, I MUCH, MUCH prefer the older one in the photo.

I considered trying to get an older one and putting Jagr on it, but since he wasn't playing for the team during those years (of that jersey), I decided not to
Good call, that would have definitely been a jersey foul.

aisforaaron83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post

Thanks for the update I also like the old design better. And I would not have cared for the jersey foul, but can´t fault your decision.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:26 PM
BigG44

Jagr will play today as a farewell to the Czech fans. I think it's awesome, and I respect him for doing it.

Selfishly ... bit scared ... lol ... just Dallas' luck he gets hurt in the farewell game.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:51 PM
jagrgodr

Quote:
Jagr will play today as a farewell to the Czech fans. I think it's awesome, and I respect him for doing it.

Selfishly ... bit scared ... lol ... just Dallas' luck he gets hurt in the farewell game.
Did you read that somewhere? Kladno played yesterday, and not today, but will play tomorrow.

There are a lot of beliefs and wrong perceptions about Jagr. The most important thing in Jagr's life is Hockey, he eats breathes sleeps hockey. He will do everything and anything he can do play one last home game. Remember how quickly he came to Kladno as soon as the lockout was announced? He got special permission to join his Kladno team from Bettman, so if he really wants to play one more home game to say goodbye i honestly think he will do it unless the Stars tell him no. I bet he made some calls to get permission to play.

I honestly have a feeling Jagr won't be back to Kladno for another 2 years. I think he will have a respectable or great year, and someone will want to sign him next year. Also remember that Kladno makes absolutely NO money, if anything he is losing money, so he is depending on the NHL to help him pay for the Kladno team. The only way Kladno will make money in the future is if they build a new stadium and i bet jagr will help finance it.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:53 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post
Did you read that somewhere? Kladno played yesterday, and not today, but will play tomorrow.

There are a lot of beliefs and wrong perceptions about Jagr. The most important thing in Jagr's life is Hockey, he eats breathes sleeps hockey. He will do everything and anything he can do play one last home game. Remember how quickly he came to Kladno as soon as the lockout was announced? He got special permission to join his Kladno team from Bettman, so if he really wants to play one more home game to say goodbye i honestly think he will do it unless the Stars tell him no. I bet he made some calls to get permission to play.

I honestly have a feeling Jagr won't be back to Kladno for another 2 years. I think he will have a respectable or great year, and someone will want to sign him next year. Also remember that Kladno makes absolutely NO money, if anything he is losing money, so he is depending on the NHL to help him pay for the Kladno team. The only way Kladno will make money in the future is if they build a new stadium and i bet jagr will help finance it.
One of the local bloggers that cover the team tweeted it.

Quote:
DefendingBigD ‏@DefendingBigD

Correction: Jagr will play Tuesday night before returning to NA.
I made a mistake when I said today.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Mirinho

Jagr is negotiating with Joe Nieuwendyk, cause he wants to play tomorrow (on tuesday) for Kladno. Something like "farewell match" ... Kladno is playing vs. Litvinov

Mirinho is offline   Reply With Quote