HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Talk: The Final Countdown...?

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 12:46 PM
ddawg1950

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
So if he retires after 2017-2018 (last year at 6.7), there would be 4 years left on the deal that would count against Vancouver's cap.

In my head, I believe he'd be owed $7 million over the last 4 years of the deal. Vancouver in a sense 'owns his contract' so they could buy it out for 2/3's of $7 million ($4.7m) and spread that over 4 years ($1.1725 cap hit for those 4 years, since they took away the buyout period being spread out over twice the amount of years).

Does that make sense?
The problem is, there is so little actual info released yet...but yes, this kind of summer buyout near the end of his career would leave us with a cap hit that would be insignificant against a projected cap number.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Proto

Luongo's deal is 12 years, 64 million. If he retired after 8 years, his cap hit for those 8 years would have been about 7.12 million per season, so the Canucks would have saved 1.8 million per season for 8 years. The Canucks might then be left with a 12 million dollar cap penalty to "recapture", even if he played the majority of those years in another city.

Frankly, it's a stupid rule, but I'm not surprised lil Gary couldn't let it go after the GMs bruised his ego by finding loopholes. If this is really the case, the Canucks might almost be better of keeping Luongo and then having the chance to talk him into LTIR later in his career

Old
01-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Not sure if this was posted (it was a couple of hours ago)...

Quote:
Farhan Lalji @FarhanLaljiTSN 2h
#Luongo says he has recently spoken to Gillis, but not specifically about a trade. Though he did say "there is more than one team involved"
View details
Oh, Gillis. From saying yesterday that nothing can be discussed until after the CBA is made official, to saying there's multiple teams involved today.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post

Oh, Gillis. From saying yesterday that nothing can be discussed until after the CBA is made official, to saying there's multiple teams involved today.
Did Gillis say that, or did Luongo say that Gillis told him that?

Old
01-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

Lol, not wasting any time I see. Do you think Gillis planted said info, intending for it to leak?

Old
01-07-2013, 12:57 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:

"Officially" nothing can be discussed but teams can always "chat"

You always have to take what Gillis says with a grain of salt and try to read between the lines to what he is actually same.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Lol, not wasting any time I see. Do you think Gillis planted said info, intending for it to leak?
Gillis has always maintained that there were multiple teams interested, I don't think there is anything underhanded going on here.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
"Officially" nothing can be discussed but teams can always "chat"

You always have to take what Gillis says with a grain of salt and try to read between the lines to what he is actually same.
Yeah, just like when the Met's didn't have lunch with George Costanza so they couldn't discuss not hiring him.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:01 PM
kcunac

Can 100% confirm the new CBA will include the cap benefit recapture formula. It will apply to existing deals "in excess of six years"

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/288314425461575681

This should increase Luongo's value, but would likely come back and hurt us someday. Does it make Luongo a buyout candidate? Maybe the cap will be so high we can afford an additional 5 million against the cap in 10 years.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:02 PM
SergioMomesso

This year there are about 20 teams that have a good chance at taking the cup home. Condensed season means injuries and a slow start could hamper a lot of good teams. A number 1 goalie is what many bubble teams need just to get into the dance. If Edmonton, Toronto or Florida get Luongo. They could make some noise. I say hold onto him till trade deadline and see where we really need to improve. Another teams number one guy could go down and they may be desperate if they havent made the playoffs in a while and are battling for the last few spots.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Barney Gumble

I doubt Luongo retires after the 2017-18 season (the last year he gets paid $6,714,000). I can't see him turning down $3,382,000 the following year - has there ever been a player turn that kind of money down? Arguably maybe the year after that where the salary drops to $1,618,000 - but that is still a good chunk of money to leave on the table.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:04 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioMomesso View Post
This year there are about 20 teams that have a good chance at taking the cup home. Condensed season means injuries and a slow start could hamper a lot of good teams. A number 1 goalie is what many bubble teams need just to get into the dance. If Edmonton, Toronto or Florida get Luongo. They could make some noise. I say hold onto him till trade deadline and see where we really need to improve. Another teams number one guy could go down and they may be desperate if they havent made the playoffs in a while and are battling for the last few spots.
I like this option too, at worst we have Kesler's $5m salary on LTIR, so we can pretty much do whatever we want until Kes is healthy.

Deadline or summertime for me, unless the deal is legit good, not Toronto good.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:07 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I doubt Luongo retires after the 2017-18 season (the last year he gets paid $6,714,000). I can't see him turning down $3,382,000 the following year - has there ever been a player turn that kind of money down? Arguably maybe the year after that where the salary drops to $1,618,000 - but that is still a good chunk of money to leave on the table.
Naslund turned down $4.5 from the Rangers, and his career earnings weren't close to Roberto's.

I though we all agreed the contract was signed so Roberto could guarantee himself a $50 million dollar contract, the last 4 years were to artificially lower the cap....I thought that was consensus.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Proto

I still can't believe Yzerman was dumb enough to go with Lindback over Luongo.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:10 PM
SergioMomesso

Quote:
I like this option too, at worst we have Kesler's $5m salary on LTIR, so we can pretty much do whatever we want until Kes is healthy.

Deadline or summertime for me, unless the deal is legit good, not Toronto good.
I would give Lappy a shot in the number 2 slot over Bozak any day of the week. There are going to be lots of back to backs and 3 in 4 nights this season. 2 solid goalies would benefit us this year.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Naslund turned down $4.5 from the Rangers, and his career earnings weren't close to Roberto's.
Didn't Naslund play another year (or at least part of it) in the SEL? I'm guessing it was all part of career move (into management) for Nazzy. Whether Luongo decides to pursue a similiar move...who knows at this point in time.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Pretty dumb I agree, but then Yzerman comes from the school of thought that goaltending should be cheap, and the money saved is better spent up front = DET.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Yeah, when all this Luongo trade talk got real I was sure he was going to end up in Tampa.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:18 PM
momo

Quote:
That's because he went with Lindback + 1 roster player + 1 young bluechip prospect + a pick (all assets they did not have to give up) over luongo

Sure they gave up two 2nds and a 3rd to get Lindback but the draft was not deep anyway.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Pretty dumb I agree, but then Yzerman comes from the school of thought that goaltending should be cheap, and the money saved is better spent up front = DET.
Helps if you have a Norris trophy winner on the blueline & also arguably one of the best of all-time (as well as a few Hall of Famers up front).

Old
01-07-2013, 01:25 PM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Helps if you have a Norris trophy winner on the blueline but arguably one of the best of all-time (as well as a few Hall of Famers up front).
Given the rise of goal tending, that method doesn't work anymore.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

The importance of this transaction is insane. Maybe it's just me but I feel like the return we get on Luongo pretty much dictates what direction this team takes in the next 3-4 years. If we get a limited return I doubt we are very competitive going forward ... I see a rebuild on the not too distant horizon. That being said, if we can score a couple higher-end young pieces in the deal we could feasibly re-tool on the fly (pending better drafting) and narrow our window for another run at a championship.

This season I'll honestly be happy if we make the playoffs.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:44 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
The importance of this transaction is insane. Maybe it's just me but I feel like the return we get on Luongo pretty much dictates what direction this team takes in the next 3-4 years. If we get a limited return I doubt we are very competitive going forward ... I see a rebuild on the not too distant horizon. That being said, if we can score a couple higher-end young pieces in the deal we could feasibly re-tool on the fly (pending better drafting) and narrow our window for another run at a championship.

I agree, and I'd add that it's important to acquire a 1st round pick as a part of the deal. With 2 first round picks, if an impact player is available we could potentially move up in the draft and acquire our next franchise forward. The Sedins may yet have PPG seasons left in them, but if so, they are few, and Kesler has a lot more miles on his body than a typical 28 year old. While I like our prospects, i really don't see a future #1C in the bunch.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:54 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post

Agreed. If we can get an impact asset that helps is win the Cup now, great. If we can get back some quality prospects that keep our window open a bit longer and allow us to quickly retool, great. But we may also end up dumping him for Bozak and Franson which, IMO, would turn us into the Calgary Flames.

01-07-2013, 01:57 PM
MikeK

vCash: 9000
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Agreed. If we can get an impact asset that helps is win the Cup now, great. If we can get back some quality prospects that keep our window open a bit longer and allow us to quickly retool, great. But we may also end up dumping him for Bozak and Franson which, IMO, would turn us into the Calgary Flames.
Damn. I just puked in my mouth.

Closed Thread