HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: Light at the end of the tunnel?

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 01:33 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Luongo is a very good goalie, but we can't trade for him at all costs. We do want to be a playoff and SC contender, so we aren't willing to pay any price.

This morning there was talk that Minnesota might be shopping Backstrom, so it isn't as if Luongo might be the only goalie available.

Burke will do what he feels is best for the Leafs, and Gillis the same with the Canucks.
where did you hear the wild were shopping backstrom?

Old
01-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
It's funny that mason Raymond gets added into every trade by Vancouver fans and expect the other teams fans to jump on the deal. If your fanbase is so desperate to trade him, what makes you think the rest of us want him.
The reason why we include him in basically every trade proposal isn't because he's worthless, it's because there is no room for him on the Canucks.

The 3rd line wings are full with Higgins and Hansen (and possibly Kassian in the near future), and he's too good to play on the 4th line.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
01-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Canadian Jesus

vCash: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Such as...?
Thornton, Marleau, and Getzlaf off the top of my head; as well as Backstrom and Smith for goaltending

Old
01-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
No offense intended but one of those players is unlike the others: a highly regarded prospect with significant upside.
I personally don't view Kadri as a highly regarded prospect. The highest I've seen him ranked is 53rd, the same list as Schroeder at 59. Doubt either will become NHL regulars.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:36 PM
TOML

Since a trade means an abrupt end to easy Luongo-related topics, TSN and CBC should be hoping no trade happens. At least for the time being.

In the end i hope Strombone1 is exposed to not actually be Luongo, but Eklund, who will have just performed one of the biggest trolls ever. If not Eklund, somebody else... Like Dregerface...

More exciting than what the actual trade will be, imho.

TOML

Old
01-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Jesus View Post
Thornton, Marleau, and Getzlaf off the top of my head; as well as Backstrom and Smith for goaltending
If either Backstrom or Smith or Howard leave that just opens another potential Luongo detination for us.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Samzilla
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Luongo is a very good goalie, but we can't trade for him at all costs. We do want to be a playoff and SC contender, so we aren't willing to pay any price.

This morning there was talk that Minnesota might be shopping Backstrom, so it isn't as if Luongo might be the only goalie available.

Burke will do what he feels is best for the Leafs, and Gillis the same with the Canucks.
Minny's gonna shop Backstrom even after the Harding diagnosis?

Old
01-07-2013, 01:38 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
It's funny that mason Raymond gets added into every trade by Vancouver fans and expect the other teams fans to jump on the deal. If your fanbase is so desperate to trade him, what makes you think the rest of us want him.
It's not so much that, it's more we have another hole on the third line to fill (C) and if we are adding another winger in Versteeg then it would make sense to move a guy like Raymond for a C. Otherwise our wingers will be: Sedin, Burrows, Booth, Versteeg, Higgins, Hansen, Raymond, Kassian. Very nice depth, but we should be looking to move one of those wingers for a C and Raymond makes the most sense.

01-07-2013, 01:39 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Minny's gonna shop Backstrom even after the Harding diagnosis?
Matt Hackett.

TOML

Old
Wild33

Quote:

Where did you hear this? I'm almost certain the Wild wont be trading Backstrom right now and Fletcher has said this before.

Old
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Considering that he added Mattias on the other end of the deal - it's not like he's asking for a kings ransom for Raymond.

I'm not a Luongo fan - but IMO he would be a HUGE upgrade for the Leafs, and a significant upgrade for the Panthers. Assuming the cap penatly goes the the team that signed him (aka - VAN) in the case RL retires before his contract is up, I'd think he'd be a VERY good acquisition for either team.

I'm not saying he's worth the sun and the moon, but I can't imagine a bigger upgrade being available in the summer.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Bleach Clean

I'm predicting that VAN carries Luongo into the season.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Don't forget Kulikov isn't signed yet, so it would only be his rights. Let's just say Petrovic, because he's a much better fit for us than Ellerby(RHD with size). And Bertuzzi had a 97 point season just two years before.

But being generous, Versteeg, Petrovic, and Clemmenson is a deal I would do. It actually looks like solid value to me, and fits our needs to a tee.
Yes but Kulikov as a RFA will be signed quickly even if to a 1 yr deal because he has little choice outside of staying in Russia. Regardless, it wouldnt make sense for either team with him involved.

I think you're just trying to fill a need for Vancouver and I'm just looking for a comparable from the previous trade and Petrovic wouldnt be it for Allen. And technically neither would Ellerby but he's a little closer to Allen than Kulikov would be. And Luongo doesnt fill a need for FL technically so its not likely that FL will care what fills the Canucks needs.

Versteeg was just signed to a 4 yr deal right before the lockout started so I seriously doubt you see him moved and the Panthers are weakest at RW in the org so that makes it difficult to move him. Fleischmann probably is a closer comparable anyway to Bertuzzi when compared to age & production.
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Add Raymond and Matthias and I probably do this. Wouldn't be thrilled, but it addresses our needs:

Luongo
Raymond

For

Versteeg
Matthias
Petrovic
Clemmenson
As I said, Versteeg just signed a new deal so he's probably not available anyway. If you pulled out Versteeg and replaced it with a 1st round pick, I think I would consider that. Only problem is that Matthias is currently injured so probably doesnt help get a deal done now and I wouldnt want to include Shore (in replacement for Matthias) and a 1st rounder in the same deal.

Actually thinking about it more, what if we changed the deal to make more sense for the Panthers salary-wise:

Luongo
Raymond

for

Upshall
Shore
1st rounder in 2013
Clemmensen

Petrovic may fill a need for the Canucks but he's closer to being NHL ready and thats what the Panthers need (we'll need to replace Weaver, Kuba, Jovo all within 2 yrs). That 1st rounder could easily get a similar type of d-man for Vancouver. Upshall can play both wing positions and right now is penciled in to the Panthers 2nd line and would make sense to move his salary in the deal. Clemmer gives you a solid backup signed thru next yr for Schneider and more time for Lack to develop. Shore is a top line center in the AHL right now and should be able to fight for a roster spot very soon if not immediately.

Last edited by Coolburn: 01-07-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old
01-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Add Raymond and Matthias and I probably do this. Wouldn't be thrilled, but it addresses our needs:

Luongo
Raymond

For

Versteeg
Matthias
Petrovic
Clemmenson
Fair enough on the earlier Kulikov exchange but the above is far from unreasonable. Granted, I do not anticipate Florida pulling the trigger but it is balanced.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:53 PM
MikeK

vCash: 10000
Quote:

I don't see how MINN would be shopping Backstrom when Harding was just diagnosed with MS. No chance Minn is shopping Backstrom. Sounds like smoke and mirrors to me.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Bourne Endeavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
As I said, Versteeg just signed a new deal so he's probably not available anyway. If you pulled out Versteeg and replaced it with a 1st round pick, I think I would consider that. Only problem is that Matthias is currently injured so probably doesnt help get a deal done now and I wouldnt want to include Shore and a 1st rounder in the same deal.
A first is far less appealing than Versteeg. Not only is it unlikely the pick ever pays comparable dividends, it does nothing to facilitate our "win now" philosophy. I wouldn't be adverse to Fleischmann if not for his injury history. But he is certainly more valuable to us than a first.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:56 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
We have Sedin, Booth, Higgins, Raymond on the left. Same with the left D: Hamhuis, Edler, Ballard, Garrison.

Ballard and Raymond stand out in those lists don't you think?

Old
01-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Diamonddog01

On a separate note, do you guys think the fact that this will be a shortened NHL season improves his trade value?

I certainly do. First - it puts a higher demand on your goaltender (more games in fewer weeks) and second it gives bubble teams a greater chance of making the playoffs. Get hot for 10 games and suddenly you're in, over an 82 game season there is more of a regression towards the mean.

At the same time, I agree with Button - that a shortened season also gives Van greater incentive to hold on to him.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:00 PM
arsmaster

I don't get it.

Speculation, which seems to have some factual foundation , is that Luongo's cap hit, will revert back to Vancouver upon retiring.

Can we all agree to that premise?

If so, why the heck are we still suggesting trading a top tier goalie for players like Bozak, matthias, and B prospects like Petrovic?

We read all summer (and year) that the detriments to vancouver getting full value for Luongo was his contract length (doesn't matter now).

There really is no long term risk to acquiring Luongo now, yet you still think he's available for pennies on the dollar?

Sorry, the player + top prospect + 1st round pick package I''ve been seeking all along needs to be upgraded now.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Quote:

Luongo
Raymond

For

Versteeg
Matthias
Petrovic
Clemmenson
You forgot about addressing theirs tho

Old
01-07-2013, 02:01 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
On a separate note, do you guys think the fact that this will be a shortened NHL season improves his trade value?

I certainly do. First - it puts a higher demand on your goaltender (more games in fewer weeks) and second it gives bubble teams a greater chance of making the playoffs. Get hot for 10 games and suddenly you're in, over an 82 game season there is more of a regression towards the mean.

At the same time, I agree with Button - that a shortened season also gives Van greater incentive to hold on to him.
No. Theoretically it's arguable either way, but measurably in terms of return I think it's whimsical to believe that would make a difference.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
No. Theoretically it's arguable either way, but measurably in terms of return I think it's whimsical to believe that would make a difference.
Whimsical huh? If you can argue it theoretically, then logically a greater return would follow...

Old
01-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Bourne Endeavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I don't get it.

Speculation, which seems to have some factual foundation , is that Luongo's cap hit, will revert back to Vancouver upon retiring.

Can we all agree to that premise?

If so, why the heck are we still suggesting trading a top tier goalie for players like Bozak, matthias, and B prospects like Petrovic?

We read all summer (and year) that the detriments to vancouver getting full value for Luongo was his contract length (doesn't matter now).

There really is no long term risk to acquiring Luongo now, yet you still think he's available for pennies on the dollar?

Sorry, the player + top prospect + 1st round pick package I''ve been seeking all along needs to be upgraded now.
Because this thread undergoes a series of stages. We have once again reached the "Luongo is crap; we want him cheap!" cycle. Where it gets irritating is when people cannot comprehend why most of us cannot agree with their horrible offers.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Bourne Endeavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
You forgot about addressing theirs tho
And how did he? Florida wants no part of dealing a highly touted prospect. Thus, they will have to give up a good roster player or be content with what they have. Nothing wrong with maintaining the status quo but you cannot expect Vancouver to gift you a goaltender.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:07 PM
MikeK

vCash: 10000
None of us know what Luongo is going to pull in. We all have this idea what his worth is but the reality is there are so many factors that come into play here. A GM might be in the hot seat or may have been told by his owners that playoffs are a must. I don't understand why so many people seem to think their idea of what is fair has got to be fact. I bet when a trade finally does go through that most of us are surprised because we didn't see that team coming and didn't believe the value would be where it was.

Closed Thread