HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers vs Flames - Who will finish ahead in the standings?

View Poll Results: Oilers vs Flames - Who will finish higher in the standings?
Oilers 217 81.89%
Flames 48 18.11%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Dabomb

vCash: 500
Oilers vs Flames - Who will finish ahead in the standings?

Simple question - who do you think will finish higher in the standings in this shortened season, Oilers or Flames? Is this the year the Oilers finally pass the Flames? Lets try to keep this civil folks.

Last edited by Dabomb: 01-07-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:19 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Oilers. This is the year.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:21 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
I was at teh 6-1 drubbing in Calgary and it was glorious to see the shock on the flames fans faces, their time is gone and our time is just beginning. hope we sweep them every game for the next 5 years....or eternity

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 135
With the randomness factor in a shortened season, it could definitely go either way. That being said, on paper, all the signs point to the Oilers getting the advantage this season, plus the homer factor.

Diamondillium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:23 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

I think the Oilers pass the Flames this year, and that Flames fans disregard the results since it's a shortened season.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:26 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I think the Oilers pass the Flames this year, and that Flames fans disregard the results since it's a shortened season.
and because we tanked for a million seasons to get good players that will leave via FA as soon as they can

Old
01-07-2013, 01:31 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Surely Tambo and Krueger would be canned if we didn't finish ahead of the Flames.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:36 PM
0ilerman
The King

i'm trying to make this bet with a flame fan buddy of mine. He wants 2-1 odds. I think it's a coin flip.

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:49 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Surely Tambo and Krueger would be canned if we didn't finish ahead of the Flames.
I think anything less then a serious push for a playoff position should start costing higher ups their jobs. But I don't expect that will happen.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
and because we tanked for a million seasons to get good players that will leave via FA as soon as they can
Its like you guys can read the minds of the morons at calgarypuke.com

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:59 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Confirmation bias is a powerful thing, and CP is particularly bad for it because they are mostly bereft of outside opinion.

Although I will admit I do still swing by there from time to time for chuckles and to see if I am still famous around there

Old
01-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Oilerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
i'm trying to make this bet with a flame fan buddy of mine. He wants 2-1 odds. I think it's a coin flip.
Take the odds.

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Halibut

Guess I'm still grumpy from the lockout but I think we're being overly optimistic here and all the talk of "they should have an advantage because they were all playing together during the lockout" is just a bit to easy. When have they taken the step forward that we've all been expecting? Why have the Barons been so mediocre despite all our future superstars being there? What depth do we have on the blueline?

I'm holding out hope that Krueger can turn them into a team with a system that works but until it happens I'll remain doubtful.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:11 PM
molsonmuscle360

Well, seeing as I'm predicting Calgary to be in the bottom 3 teams this year, and Edmonton to make the playoffs.

molsonmuscle360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:40 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Quote:
I was at teh 6-1 drubbing in Calgary and it was glorious to see the shock on the flames fans faces, their time is gone and our time is just beginning. hope we sweep them every game for the next 5 years....or eternity
That was certainly a fun game to be at. I regret not wearing my jersey because I was so sure the Flames would club us yet again.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:41 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Confirmation bias is a powerful thing, and CP is particularly bad for it because they are mostly bereft of outside opinion.

Although I will admit I do still swing by there from time to time for chuckles and to see if I am still famous around there
While CP is indeed a cesspool, a few of them are actually predicting that we finish ahead of them. It's rather shocking.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:41 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
lol i dont need calgary puck i live in calgary, that site isnt just a small population of the fanbase, the majority are like that

Old
01-07-2013, 02:44 PM
ddawg1950

Calgary will be the weakest in the NW.

Vancouver and Edmonton will both make the playoffs, with Colorado and Minnesota on the bubble.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:44 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
That was certainly a fun game to be at. I regret not wearing my jersey because I was so sure the Flames would club us yet again.
when the flames scored first and everyone was dancing and high fiving i looked at my wife and said "its funny how a goal can make people go full retard" then fast forward 3 goals and i was high fiving and dancing loving every second of it.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:45 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
when the flames scored first and everyone was dancing and high fiving i looked at my wife and said "its funny how a goal can make people go full retard" then fast forward 3 goals and i was high fiving and dancing loving every second of it.
Indeed. And even though the Flames scored first they were playing very poorly and the only reason they scored was because Dubnyk has trouble with point shots.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:48 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
While CP is indeed a cesspool, a few of them are actually predicting that we finish ahead of them. It's rather shocking.
As with most any forum, there are some smart posters there. I didn't mean to insinuate that there aren't. It's just those ones tend to get drowned out by the rest who don't know squat, and just repeat what they have heard from inside their bubble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Calgary will be the weakest in the NW.

Vancouver and Edmonton will both make the playoffs, with Colorado and Minnesota on the bubble.
Swap Minnie and Edmonton. Unless massive injuries happen, I'd say the Wild are a lock for the playoffs.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:03 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Guess I'm still grumpy from the lockout but I think we're being overly optimistic here and all the talk of "they should have an advantage because they were all playing together during the lockout" is just a bit to easy. When have they taken the step forward that we've all been expecting? Why have the Barons been so mediocre despite all our future superstars being there? What depth do we have on the blueline?

I'm holding out hope that Krueger can turn them into a team with a system that works but until it happens I'll remain doubtful.
I agree. The defence is still very weak and the goaltending is a huge question mark. Below average defences and questionable goaltending is not part of any recipe for success.

The only thing that might help this team is the shortened season which would mean it doesn't get as exposed as the season wears on.

This season should have an asterisk beside it anyway...shortened seasons are not an accurate barometer of how good a team is.

As for who does better between the Flames and Oilers....The Flames are better in net and have a better defence. The Oilers are better up front although I still think they are too small.
I would love to see the Oilers vault ahead in this short season but it is most certainly not a lock.

guymez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:10 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post

The reason the Barons aren't doing well has nothing to do with the guys that are going to be in the NHL. They scored over half the teams goals between 3 guys. Hall, Ebs and Schultz. I don't know where you don't see the step forward that both Hall and Eberle have taken this year.

molsonmuscle360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:23 PM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 355
Calgarys starting lineup looks hilarious. Backlund could be their top C although I read tanguay might switch to it.

GO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Oilers, Iginla usually takes a month to get going.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote